View Full Version : Hotel + Apt = ?

Pages : [1] 2

Thunder
07-19-2011, 10:47 PM
I'm at a bit of crisis here with nowhere to go. Long story... I'm getting the hell out...and fast. Bro and his girl is getting out, too. Our mother is....use your imagination. So, I have been trying to think and look online for an affordable hotel that is similar to apt, etc. Value Place has kool features, but pricey at $200 weekly. They do extended-stay such as an option instead of apartment. Is there anywhere else similar, but lower priced weekly or monthly? I'm packing and getting out asap...so divine intervention is urgent.

OKCTalker
07-19-2011, 11:48 PM
$200 per week is pricey?

Larry OKC
07-20-2011, 12:00 AM
I imagine that Thunder is living at home and even if the rent is split evenly, it probably is considerably less than $800/month. So I can understand where he is coming from. As a short term option (for a week or two) until he can get a regular apt lined up is one thing, but still money that could be going towards first/last month rent etc.
if I hear of anything or have any ideas will let ya know. have you checked with an Apartment Finders type outfit? have seen directories at Buy 4 Less and such. probably have a website. They may be able to point you in the right direction. I used a similar service when i was trying to find a place in Houston (no cost to you, they get paid by the place when you rent).

Thunder
07-20-2011, 12:07 AM
I'm looking into Summer Oaks. Problem is with apts...they want income 3x the rent amount. I could try...

I've been with Sec8 for a while and they are overly strict with yearly inspection (they cry when there is no light bulb on front porch, etc), but I'd really want to avoid them like I did previously.

Achilleslastand
07-20-2011, 12:12 AM
I knew someone that stayed at the Dorchester Apts at Wilshire and N May and rent was only 600 a month plus all bills are paid.
Not sure of their phone# tho..................

kevinpate
07-20-2011, 05:34 AM
short term if you need fast change ... friend's couch (do not stay beyond a week, max, even if told you are welcome to stay)
gives you breathing room.

But in truth, if 200 week, including utilities phone and cable, is a stretch for you, you're probably going to need a roommate to make things work. Might be worth a renewed effort to find a peace with your momma, and for more reasons than living expenses.

Never fool yourself into thinking your momma is immortal and will always be there despite all odds, and never get so upset with her that you have to regret it later. Life is always shorter than you want it to be.

okcisok
07-20-2011, 06:28 AM
Thunder, that is sound advise from kevinpate. See if you can hold out until your Bro and his girl leave. That might help your mothers stress load.

Just the facts
07-20-2011, 07:24 AM
If a $1 light bulb is a concern you need to find a way to live at home. You might not be ready to accept the responsibilities and cost of living on you own. That isn't a knock against you, just my observation. My brother was 30 before he finally moved out permanently.

Thunder
07-20-2011, 07:32 AM
I can manage on my own. Its just that Value Place are too pricey at $800 monthly for that kind of place. I'm getting my stuff together and just getting ready. My only hope is that an apt management just let me in without the 3x the rent income crap.

www.summeroaksapts.com

Just the facts
07-20-2011, 07:51 AM
Is this just a temporary place until you can find something else or do you plan to live this way for 6 months or more?

BBatesokc
07-20-2011, 07:59 AM
That "3x the rent income crap" is a policy for a reason and makes good sense to both the responsible property owner and potential mature renter. The average person on their own has rent/mortgage, utilities, insurance (home/renter, car & health), car payment, gasoline, groceries, home necessities and a cell phone bill every month. That doesn't even include eating out, entertainment, furnishings, clothing, unexpected emergencies (car breaks down, insurance co-pays, etc.).

I'd suggest making amends. It is more than understandable that your momma could be overly annoyed from time to time that she is still supporting her two live-in adult children and a freeloading girlfriend of one of those adult children.

If moving out is a necessity (which I strongly suggest for anyone over the age of 21) then maybe looking to Craigslist under 'roommates' is an option - though ripe with its own pitfalls. You can often find a room in a nice home with bills paid for $300-$600. The upside is you're living in a home instead of an apartment, most of the house is already furnished, most often includes Internet and cable TV, some have pools and the list goes on.

The lower end apartments often are poorly managed, have bizarre tenants, need to be furnished, most likely require you to pay utilities, are often strict about lease agreements being fulfilled and can be less secure.

Then off course there's the monthly rate at the Habana Inn.

OKCMallen
07-20-2011, 08:01 AM
$200 per week is pricey?

$800/month ain't cheap if you want to live in an apt.

cameron_405
07-20-2011, 08:11 AM
...there are less expensive 1-bedroom alternatives, Thunder. I often drive by the Warren House on Meridian (near 39th Expwy), and they advertise on their outdoor sign "$445/mo furnished, month-to-month, all bills paid" -- pretty sure they also have unfurnished units.

http://apartments.oodle.com/view/1-bed-warren-house-oklahoma-city/2438941980-mayfair-west_oklahoma-city-ok/

Roadhawg
07-20-2011, 09:29 AM
I'm looking into Summer Oaks. Problem is with apts...they want income 3x the rent amount. I could try...

I've been with Sec8 for a while and they are overly strict with yearly inspection (they cry when there is no light bulb on front porch, etc), but I'd really want to avoid them like I did previously.

I hope you either make up with your mom or find a place you like, neither one will be easy.

Thunder
07-20-2011, 09:57 AM
I'm probably gonna have to go with Sec8. :-(

Thunder
07-20-2011, 10:01 AM
They're not accepting applications. I'm screwed.

I only get $868 from SSDI. :-(

BBatesokc
07-20-2011, 10:07 AM
They're not accepting applications. I'm screwed.

I only get $868 from SSDI. :-(

Biting my tongue (which is not an easy thing for me)

okcisok
07-20-2011, 10:09 AM
Thunder....not knowing your situation here is just a "suggestion". Talk to your Mom about paying her some amount of money on a regular basis. Just any $ amount but make it's the same each time and that you get it to her on time, every month just like you would have to if you were in an apartment. You probably are already helping out with the finances, but if it is more a regular payment it would serve her better and make you feel better about it too in the long run. Hopefully, the other two can find other arrangements. : )

Thunder
07-20-2011, 10:13 AM
Biting my tongue (which is not an easy thing for me)

Well, Brian, I gave it all I got over the course of 5 years on my own. The first 3 years, I was on Sec8 and worked at Walmart for nearly a year then at Target for a year. I almost dropped my SSDI, because I picked full time at Target, but I was advised not to. Then you know the dire situation with the city condemning such a precious apartment complex, I opted out of Sec8 when I decided to rent at Sunnyview (close to you) for 2 years (worked at Crest for 2 years). Money was gawd damn tight. I got screwed at Crest with shoulder injury and the constant dizziness and head pains. So, what were you going to say, Brian? That I'm one of those lowlife scum using government's money? FYI, I thought moving back with mom would be easier, but it turns out that I had to also support my brother and his *gasps* lover. I'm tired here.

Thunder
07-20-2011, 10:14 AM
Thunder....not knowing your situation here is just a "suggestion". Talk to your Mom about paying her some amount of money on a regular basis. Just any $ amount but make it's the same each time and that you get it to her on time, every month just like you would have to if you were in an apartment. You probably are already helping out with the finances, but if it is more a regular payment it would serve her better and make you feel better about it too in the long run. Hopefully, the other two can find other arrangements. : )

I'm already giving her loads of money and helping with the frickin bills.

What I don't appreciate is her hiding the frickin remote and stealing my shaver. This morning, she started a fight with my brother.

Achilleslastand
07-20-2011, 10:15 AM
short term if you need fast change ... friend's couch (do not stay beyond a week, max, even if told you are welcome to stay)
gives you breathing room.

But in truth, if 200 week, including utilities phone and cable, is a stretch for you, you're probably going to need a roommate to make things work. Might be worth a renewed effort to find a peace with your momma, and for more reasons than living expenses.

Never fool yourself into thinking your momma is immortal and will always be there despite all odds, and never get so upset with her that you have to regret it later. Life is always shorter than you want it to be.

+1

And did you try Dorchester Apts?
Rent there is only around 600 a month all bills paid.
And remember you only have one mother she wont be around forever to argue with.........or hug.

Thunder
07-20-2011, 10:17 AM
+1

Does this mean I'm bunking with Achilleslastand?

OKCTalker
07-20-2011, 10:26 AM
Thunder - I'm with most everybody else here. See if you can make amends with your mom, and then turn this strictly into a business relationship where you come to an agreement on "rent" per month plus doing some duties around the house (mowing the lawn, minor repairs, running errands, etc.). Maybe a simple, hand-written agreement would help minimize future misunderstandings, as would making on-time payments and helping around the house.

My brother asked mom to finance his purchase of a car years ago, thinking that she'd be a pushover. She made him write out 36 checks (you may be too young to remember those days), which she'd deposit every month. She had an extra set of keys, and told him that when the first check bounced, the car was hers. She meant it, and he knew it. Every check cleared as promised. He earned a lot of respect from her.

OKCTalker
07-20-2011, 10:26 AM
Oh - and have you checked Craigslist?

BBatesokc
07-20-2011, 10:32 AM
Well, Brian, I gave it all I got over the course of 5 years on my own. The first 3 years, I was on Sec8 and worked at Walmart for nearly a year then at Target for a year. I almost dropped my SSDI, because I picked full time at Target, but I was advised not to. Then you know the dire situation with the city condemning such a precious apartment complex, I opted out of Sec8 when I decided to rent at Sunnyview (close to you) for 2 years (worked at Crest for 2 years). Money was gawd damn tight. I got screwed at Crest with shoulder injury and the constant dizziness and head pains. So, what were you going to say, Brian? That I'm one of those lowlife scum using government's money? FYI, I thought moving back with mom would be easier, but it turns out that I had to also support my brother and his *gasps* lover. I'm tired here.

Never said you were a "lowlife scum using government's money." I do find it odd you criticize virtually everything about local and federal government (often without any perspective on rational reality), yet seem to have no problem taking their money and benefits. I openly agree that assistance is often a necessity for those with real challenges beyond laziness and self imposed afflictions like addiction and a felony record. You obviously have some physical challenges and I could see where it could make it difficult to maintain full-time employment.

However, it doesn't sound like your dear mother is tossing you out on the streets. It sounds like you are annoyed with living with her and your brother and his leech - which is understandable - until you disclose your master plan is to move out to live off the tit of the tax payers. If your mother is not making you leave and you're simply annoyed because the TV remote is not readily available, I say get over it. Form a unified front with your mom and kick your brother out and live happily ever after. But that's just my two cents.

Thunder
07-20-2011, 10:41 AM
Thunder - I'm with most everybody else here. See if you can make amends with your mom, and then turn this strictly into a business relationship where you come to an agreement on "rent" per month plus doing some duties around the house (mowing the lawn, minor repairs, running errands, etc.). Maybe a simple, hand-written agreement would help minimize future misunderstandings, as would making on-time payments and helping around the house.

I do all of that! I fork over hundreds every month. When we're low on grocery, I do whatever I can to get money. Hell, I pawned my video camera to get some grocery at end of month once and she still bitches at me for losing the video camera. I'm telling you, she gone mad!!! Yesterday she told me not to touch any food. lolol Wtf? Stole the tv remote. lolol Wtf? Fights just keep exploding and violent texts back 'n forth. Seriously, she needs mental help. Last word I said to her that she's a bitch and a user. And that I'm done helping/supporting her.

Oh - and have you checked Craigslist?

Yes, I was browsing on there this morning.

Never said you were a "lowlife scum using government's money." I do find it odd you criticize virtually everything about local and federal government (often without any perspective on rational reality), yet seem to have no problem taking their money and benefits. I openly agree that assistance is often a necessity for those with real challenges beyond laziness and self imposed afflictions like addiction and a felony record. You obviously have some physical challenges and I could see where it could make it difficult to maintain full-time employment.

However, it doesn't sound like your dear mother is tossing you out on the streets. It sounds like you are annoyed with living with her and your brother and his leech - which is understandable - until you disclose your master plan is to move out to live off the tit of the tax payers. If your mother is not making you leave and you're simply annoyed because the TV remote is not readily available, I say get over it. Form a unified front with your mom and kick your brother out and live happily ever after. But that's just my two cents.

Its goes way more than that with her. You really need to meet her. I think she'd qualify to be on your video or something. She is one insane female. She is 54 and acts like a 2 year old crybaby.

Charlie40
07-20-2011, 11:18 AM
Thunder, eventhough you and your mom don't agree on things, you still need to have respect for her and not call her bad names. that is Biblical

Roadhawg
07-20-2011, 11:37 AM
Thunder, eventhough you and your mom don't agree on things, you still need to have respect for her and not call her bad names. that is Biblical

So is selling your daughter into slavery but ya don't see a lot of that now days.

dmoor82
07-20-2011, 04:00 PM
Thunder you could possibly,depending on your income rent a studio apt. with all bills paid at the Regency for 573/month!

Thunder
07-20-2011, 04:15 PM
I'm looking into the apt on Bryant. Not sure how long to wait, but hopefully plenty of openings.

Thunder
07-20-2011, 10:05 PM
I'll look into that apt, I can't remember the name, but its considered "bad rep" among some....certain individuals....on here. Anyone know any other apt complexes that uses different programs to base/adjust rent on income? It depends on the location.

ljbab728
07-20-2011, 10:07 PM
I would suggest an alternative might be to get your own TV with a remote that you could watch in your bedroom when you don't agree with your mom's choices. That would be much less expensive than getting your own place.

Thunder
07-20-2011, 10:18 PM
I would suggest an alternative might be to get your own TV with a remote that you could watch in your bedroom when you don't agree with your mom's choices. That would be much less expensive than getting your own place.

This has always been a temp situation and I planned to move out like next year. I'm ready now. lolol

Wanna see mom's reaction to me wanting to sell the fridge that I paid for? lolol

ljbab728
07-20-2011, 11:06 PM
This has always been a temp situation and I planned to move out like next year. I'm ready now. lolol

Wanna see mom's reaction to me wanting to sell the fridge that I paid for? lolol

Thunder, if you were planning to move anyway, that is an entirely different matter. It sounds like you and your family have too many complicated issues to get sorted out on an internet forum.

Bostonfan
07-20-2011, 11:17 PM
Thunder, if you were planning to move anyway, that is an entirely different matter. It sounds like you and your family have too many complicated issues to get sorted out on an internet forum.

Yeah, it's amazing the personal things people will put out on the internet. I just don't get it.

Thunder
07-20-2011, 11:20 PM

OKCTalk is my second family. :-)

Thunder
07-21-2011, 12:57 AM
I found this. http://www.ochanet.org/publichousing_info/public_housing.htm

I'm not an OKC resident, but it does say within OKC city limit, which includes Del City.

There is hope on the horizon.

kevinpate
07-21-2011, 02:16 AM
Del City is a separate city which is part of the OKC metro area. While it adjoins OKC, it is not within OKC.

OKCTalker
07-21-2011, 09:47 AM
OKCTalk is my second family. :-)

You're in more trouble than we thought!

Larry OKC
07-21-2011, 10:25 PM
Just a warning about Craigslist...make sure ou go to Craigslist.org and NOT .com...I accidentally did that and a "instant winner" pop up that had a $1,000 Wal-mart gift card and a couple of other options but you had to act within 90 seconds or something like that..it may have been legit but I suspect it was a phishing scam of sorts...fell back to the "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is"...

Thunder
07-28-2011, 03:22 PM
Sunnyview Apts screwed me over.

Moved in Dec '08, then was transferred to another unit in Oct '09 due to health hazard with first unit having leaking and caving roof. The second unit started to have problem with leaking roof and water pipes leaking water throughout the carpet...moved out Spring 2010. Didn't sign for 2nd year contract. They reported me for nonpayment of remaining of 2nd year contract.

Oakridge Village sees that on report and...chicken..bawk bawk...isn't letting me in until I pay Sunnyview....

Thunder
07-28-2011, 03:45 PM
We are getting letters typed and dispute back at Sunnyview. The only issue is the balance owed to them. All other rental histories is spotless.

easternobserver
07-28-2011, 07:39 PM
um, you do realize that Oakridge is about the scariest place I have ever, ever been...including the inner cities of Boston, New York and Washington....

BBatesokc
07-28-2011, 08:00 PM
I'm shocked Oakridge Village has any pre-qualifications. That has to be one of the worst complexes in the metro. When we go bounty hunting, that is one of the only places that makes me nervous.

Thunder
07-28-2011, 08:05 PM
People said the same thing for Eagle Point, but I was there for 3 years and felt totally safe.

Ever think about new management? I've seen how they renovated the complex. They don't want bad people living there, which is why its so strict to get in, but I have a representative working on it.

PennyQuilts
07-28-2011, 08:52 PM
She stole your shaver????

Maybe now that your brother and his girlfriend are moving out your mom might be a little less stressed. I think it was very good advice to treat this as a business arrangement. My suggestion is that you consider calling the Alternative Dispute Resolution over at OCU Law. Professor Bernard might be able to help you if the staff can't. Chances are, they can put you in touch with a mediator that might be able to help you and your mom work out an agreed arrangement and put it to writing.

Thunder
07-28-2011, 09:59 PM
Penny, I have cut her out of my life completely. I already have a new set of parents now.

Thunder
08-01-2011, 07:13 AM
Expecting the Power of Attorney form today and to sign it. Flea market owner's brother will be representing me. I got a letter typed up, then he will proofread and retype it up professionally. Then deliver the letter to Oakridge Village and send to Sunnyview Apts. No clue how long it will take for this process to be done (Midtowner should share the info on this). Hopefully soon, cuz this weather is making me way to tired and weak to go through. :-/

Thunder
08-01-2011, 11:59 PM
The wait is way too long and the heat is getting to me. So... I've looked on CL again and I can't sleep.

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/roo/2524366016.html
This guy is offering the use of his living room...futon..etc..in his one bedroom apartment for $125. Comments?

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/roo/2522992125.html
This one is suspicious, but sent an email to check it out. May be a day too late...free...probably a lot of people begging for it. So, its free to stay there...watch the place and do some things. I don't cook. Comments?

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/roo/2525408843.html
This one with a guy working regular hours, so that means he will be home...sleeping...during the night and we all know that I'm usually up during the night. Comments?

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/roo/2491598090.html
And finally this weird guy still looking for a roommate. Not sure what his issues are... I remember sending him emails last month, but no response. Now this repost, so I sent another email (thinking maybe he'll get it) unless he chose to specifically ignore me (he is probably an OKCTalker on here). But...eh...he is still looking and I got the cash. Comments?

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/roo/2521959276.html
Not sure about the garage converted into a room. They got pets for me to play with. Comments?

I predict that I could be one of the Heat Wave death victims sometime this week. If I stopped posting at least 24 hours, then sound the alarm. lol

Btw... I'm sad that Venture don't have an extra room for me. :-P

Larry OKC
08-02-2011, 12:49 AM
Thunder: not saying that Crigslist can't work out for you but just be extra careful. Trust whatever instincts you have, if something/someone seems off avoid it completely. Period. Whenever you are dealing with strangers, you just don't know. Are there any friends or family where you can crash? Even on a sofa or an air mattress on the floor? Anything just to be in from the heat. It is dangerous out there. When meeting anyone, try to meet in a public place or take a friend along with you when checking out the space.

SoonerQueen
08-02-2011, 12:53 AM
I'd stay away from Craigslist. You can't really know the people that run ads there. Be careful where you move. I'd just keep calling apts or maybe duplexes in the area of town you want to live in.

Thunder
08-02-2011, 01:11 AM
Thunder: not saying that Crigslist can't work out for you but just be extra careful. Trust whatever instincts you have, if something/someone seems off avoid it completely. Period. Whenever you are dealing with strangers, you just don't know. Are there any friends or family where you can crash? Even on a sofa or an air mattress on the floor? Anything just to be in from the heat. It is dangerous out there. When meeting anyone, try to meet in a public place or take a friend along with you when checking out the space.

That is what I am doing browsing thru the posts and going with the vibes. Most of my life, I haven't really been in much contact with dad's side since the divorce. His parents died past few years. As for ex-mom's side, none of us ever really see/social/interact with the family except for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Strange, eh? Her parents are no-good demons. Closest is ex-mom's sister (my aunt), but she and her hubby are always busy and it just doesn't feel right. Like I said...basically what ex-mom and I had family-wise was each other mostly, but I cut her off completely now, so she can just suffer with that lowlife brother and his female user.

I'd stay away from Craigslist. You can't really know the people that run ads there. Be careful where you move. I'd just keep calling apts or maybe duplexes in the area of town you want to live in.

What I've been doing, but my income is too low for them, so I'm resorting to either long waiting for this one place or looking to share. You're right, people can't be trusted. I have to be careful and try not to panic and let my guard down. Even been taken advantaged by certain persons on here in such situation that I didn't know what to do...back out of...etc. People act friendly among us, but are pure demons. Scary.

sacolton
08-02-2011, 06:56 AM
Buy a tent and find a place to camp.

Roadhawg
08-02-2011, 12:32 PM
another option.... http://www.cityrescue.org/

Thunder
08-02-2011, 01:28 PM
Roadhawg, I am staying at a place. I'm just looking for more comfortable place. :-)

Btw, update on those CL posts. None of them responded, so I guess they posted prank and/or don't really want money.

Thunder
08-04-2011, 10:57 PM
http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/roo/2527512313.html

Everyone want to send emails to this guy? He keep reposting...searching...but mysteriously not responding to emails. Any emails...actually all of them...despite different email addresses. Its perfect price...own room and own bathroom. I got the money...he want the money...and this is going nowhere. He even got a cat that I'd love to help take care of....such as food and toys. Lots of toys. Meow!

sacolton
08-05-2011, 07:28 AM
His ad says: "I would prefer a gay male, or female roommate, as I am gay myself. "

Are you okay with that, Thunder?

Thunder
08-05-2011, 11:16 AM
His ad says: "I would prefer a gay male, or female roommate, as I am gay myself. "

Are you okay with that, Thunder?

Yes, a compatible match. Even though he shouldn't discriminate by law (and stated on CL). I think he's looking for a play buddy, which I'm not interested in that.

sacolton
08-05-2011, 11:36 AM
Yeah, I was wondering if he was asking for "proof".

Thunder
08-05-2011, 12:55 PM
Yeah, I was wondering if he was asking for "proof".

If you mean sex, then most likely. I'm not going to be a roomie with someone just for that.