View Full Version : Is part or most of OKC going to be mexico in the next few years??

Pages : [1] 2

electrician_in_okc
07-17-2011, 04:47 PM
I'm new here and dont want to p** off people, but me and my girlfriend where talking in the car the other day about how OKC is gonna become mini mexico, well I guess all towns and cities will become that, just your take on the subject :-)

MikeLucky
07-18-2011, 08:23 AM
I'm new here and dont want to p** off people, but me and my girlfriend where talking in the car the other day about how OKC is gonna become mini mexico, well I guess all towns and cities will become that, just your take on the subject :-)

You mean, am I a racist?

Honestly, if you think there are a lot of mexicans here, don't ever travel to texas.... or colorado... or california... anywhere in the southwest...

And, my favorite part of your post complaining about all the mexicans is that you dictated it in broken english. That's beautiful.

earlywinegareth
07-18-2011, 08:56 AM
"my girlfriend and I"

I like mexican culture a lot, so it wouldn't bother me if it became dominant. The siesta for instance = pure genious.

BDP
07-18-2011, 09:06 AM
Are you asking if our food will get better? If so, then I hope so.

Spartan
07-18-2011, 09:17 AM
Here I'll just go right out and say it, those gosh darned wetbacks and Mexican-speakin nincompoops need to go back to Mexico, we don't want them in this country, or county.

wITchV88Gjk

Roadhawg
07-18-2011, 12:16 PM
That was funny

adaniel
07-18-2011, 12:51 PM
Wow.

I'll give you this much. You have some balls to post that kind of question.

But no to answer your question. OKC is 15% Hispanic and 59% white as of 2010. Are you that intimidated by 15% of the population?

Maybe some dinky half dead town in rural Oklahoma will be more to your liking.

EDIT: Aren't you the same person who said the outlet mall was being built because "OKC loves low wage jobs?"

OKCTalker
07-18-2011, 12:54 PM
Going to. Say GOING TO...

MsProudSooner
07-18-2011, 01:01 PM
Wow.

I'll give you this much. You have some balls to post that kind of question.

But no to answer your question. OKC is 15% Hispanic and 59% white as of 2010. Are you that intimidated by 15% of the population?

Maybe some dinky half dead town in rural Oklahoma will be more to your liking.

EDIT: Aren't you the same person who said the outlet mall was being built because "OKC loves low wage jobs?"

Hey, no need to inflict that garbage on rural OK. I think he would be more comfy in Arizona.

BDK
07-18-2011, 01:11 PM

I heard that there's a bill going through Congress to sign a treaty through which the entire U.S. would be absorbed into Mexico and the official language would become Spanish.

Bill Robertson
07-18-2011, 01:12 PM
You mean, am I a racist?

Honestly, if you think there are a lot of mexicans here, don't ever travel to texas.... or colorado... or california... anywhere in the southwest...

And, my favorite part of your post complaining about all the mexicans is that you dictated it in broken english. That's beautiful.

There's at least a couple of threads about how some of us want to be like Dallas. Welcome to the big city.

bandnerd
07-18-2011, 01:52 PM
I heard that there's a bill going through Congress to sign a treaty through which the entire U.S. would be absorbed into Mexico and the official language would become Spanish.

Not Spanish. Mexican.

Spartan
07-18-2011, 02:51 PM

Yeah you know it's that whole tryin to make the world one big country thing..a world without borders or some kinda crap.

kevinpate
07-18-2011, 03:06 PM
Holy Guacomole Batman! Next thing you know Yogi and Boo-Boo will be mugged by a gang of Chupacabras and lose all their tapas baskets.

windowphobe
07-18-2011, 04:32 PM
Rather a lot of the "Mexicans" aren't from Mexico at all, but from points farther south.

Of course, if you think they all look alike, there's not much reason to point that out.

RadicalModerate
07-18-2011, 04:45 PM
"Gonna become Mini-Mexico?"

Haven't you ever heard of "Aztlan"?
I've seen many different maps, and Oklahoma is already part of it on some of them.

Maybe the U.S. should simply annex Mexico/Central America and end the conflict-generating sham of NAFTA . . .
Then we could all just be one big happy family (una familia feliz). (Plus Mexico has oil reserves.)
After that, it would be a simple matter to build a wall on this side of the Panama Canal (much shorter than the current border) to keep the South Americans out while plotting how to get hold of the Canadian oil reserves.

redrunner
07-18-2011, 04:45 PM

Shouldn't you be tending to your meth lab or something?

USG'60
07-18-2011, 04:59 PM

Most of you are making huge assumptions about this post. Nothing in this is bigoted. He basically asked if we share his feelings that many towns and cities will become primarially Hispanic. Until we know more I think we owe him an apology. WE have been bigoted in making a full assessment based on how it first hit us.

RadicalModerate
07-18-2011, 05:07 PM
De veras.

(And isn't it a just a little strange to pull out the "racist" card so quickly when it was really more of a geographical or cultural question? Is "Hispanic" actually a "race" anyways? Isn't more of a linguistic thing?)

PennyQuilts
07-18-2011, 05:13 PM
Wow, you guys are a trip. Remind any newcomer to not ask any questions that touch on politically PC topics. Unless he wants to be called a racist, of course.

Electrician, the question you asked is one that the powers that be in Washington and elsewhere are all interested in and aren't a bit worried about being called a racist or having people think they know your soul based on the fact that you dared ask a question. Current news in the past few days has reported that hispanic population growth is now coming more from birth than immigration.

No one is calling those guys a racist, fancy that.

If you want to know my opinion, I think like most new immigrant populations, historically, there will be areas of the city that are densely populated with hispanics so even though the numbers will increase, unless you go to that area of town, you won't notice it all that much for the next few years.

That being said, Hispanics, statistically, have a very high birthrate as compared to whites and other minorities which means that the language barrier that contributes to having particular areas of town being more desirable to immigrant groups probably won't last all that long and you'll start seeing more and more hispanic families moving into more diverse areas. Social services are generally more generous in urban areas, as are schools aimed at hispanic families. Because of that, it will take awhile before Hispanics start migrating to more rural areas. New immigrant families tend to rely heavily on their children who speak the language to negotiate on rent and the like - another factor that often keeps them in poorer areas. Once this current wave of kids reaches an age where social service/spanish speaking schools aren't as necessary, I suspect we'll see a lot of the hispanic areas shifting or becoming less dense. That won't take too long, IMO.

Just as an aside, I was at the records department down at the jail, today, and a young Hispanic man came in to get an application for citizenship. He was grinning ear to ear and I congratulated him and wished him luck.

Wambo36
07-18-2011, 05:20 PM
What a textbook case of a politically correct mob mentality beat down. Obviously there are some things that are off limits for sane discussion by some folks. Funny but sad at the same time. Let the outrage continue.

kevinpate
07-18-2011, 05:23 PM
I suppose reasonable folk can disagree, but for me, talking about how "OKC is gonna become mini mexico" and hoping that won't cheese someone is hardly the same conversation opener as pondering any anticipated changes folks might expect to see in the community as it becomes more diverse via an increase in the Hispanic population.

Maybe I over read it, but I wouldn't lay my own coins on that number.

PennyQuilts
07-18-2011, 05:55 PM
I think it is never a bad idea to assume the best before calling someone a racist if there is any doubt, whatsoever.

redrunner
07-18-2011, 05:59 PM
Latin immigration encompasses more than just Mexico. At least be educate yourself before you make a stupid observation.

PennyQuilts
07-18-2011, 06:56 PM
Where I lived in Virginia, we had Little Guatamala, Little El Salvador, a few Mexicans and quite a few African immigrants. Not enough of the latter two to give their part of town a name. Most of the hispanics in this part of the world are Mexican. The reference to Mexicans is not so stupid if you consider how most communities refer to their immigrants. Chinatown? Little Italy? Little Vietnam? It all goes to the community. I think it is a safe bet that most of the hispanics in the OKC area are Mexican.

MikeOKC
07-18-2011, 07:03 PM
What a textbook case of a politically correct mob mentality beat down. Obviously there are some things that are off limits for sane discussion by some folks. Funny but sad at the same time. Let the outrage continue.

I agree with you. It is somehow wrong to question a total upside down racial/ethnic makeup of our city? The Oklahoma City of today only resembles the Oklahoma City I grew up in. We can all pretend like it makes no difference, but we all know it does - in so very many ways, and only a few (in my opinion) have been good for our city. There was very little to no black crime west of Broadway and white children could walk the streets without worrying about hispanic and black gangs. I guess that makes me a racist these days. I see myself not as a racist, but as a race realist. God forbid we just be honest.

OKCRT
07-18-2011, 07:15 PM
Again,there are many thousands of Latinos in the OKC metro area that the latest census did not count. When you see percentages of 15% you can add prob. another 5-7% to get the real figures.

MikeOKC
07-18-2011, 07:17 PM
Again,there are many thousands of Latinos in the OKC metro area that the latest census did not count. When you see percentages of 15% you can add prob. another 5-7% to get the real figures.

At least.

bandnerd
07-18-2011, 08:36 PM
I think it is never a bad idea to assume the best before calling someone a racist if there is any doubt, whatsoever.

Perhaps the original poster could have worded the question a little better so as not to enrage the natives.

PennyQuilts
07-18-2011, 08:56 PM
Perhaps the original poster could have worded the question a little better so as not to enrage the natives.

Huh. It didn't bother me. It could have been worded in a more gentile way but I can't imagine that it would provoke the type of spittle and hatred that it did. What's up with that? Spring loaded.

soonerguru
07-18-2011, 09:14 PM
I must say I really like the change. Just this week, my family and I spent time in Capitol Hill and along the main business artery of SW 29th. It's colorful, interesting and different. Another night we enjoyed the best chicken in OKC at Pollo Regio on SW 29th and May.

Bring on the change! The more color the better! In fact, I hope OKC is a minority white city in my lifetime. In fact, the sooner this change occurs the better because maybe then all the scared haters will leave town.

onthestrip
07-18-2011, 09:16 PM
Ive seen tapas and siestas mentioned in this thread....thats Spain, not Mexico. Even though I will gladly welcome both of those things.

PennyQuilts
07-18-2011, 09:20 PM
Bring on the change! The more color the better! In fact, I hope OKC is a minority white city in my lifetime. In fact, the sooner this change occurs the better because then all the scared haters will leave town.

Why do you hate white people?

soonerguru
07-18-2011, 09:25 PM
nm

mcca7596
07-18-2011, 09:49 PM
Soonerguru, I don't know if you are white or not, but only an unnecessarily guilt-ridden white person would wish to be a minority. No other race would have people that prefer to be the minority.

By the way, this thread doesn't acknowledge (like so many people don't) that many hispanics are as much "white", as in European, as non-Hispanic whites. Yes, there are Hispanics that have high amounts of Native American or African blood, but we all know how many white people in this state can claim a certain percentage of Native American blood. They do not count as a race separate from European whites.

Point being, Spanish=European as much as German, British, French, etc...=European. The culture is unique, but I consider Hispanics "white".

MikeOKC
07-18-2011, 09:53 PM
In fact, I hope OKC is a minority white city in my lifetime. In fact, the sooner this change occurs the better because maybe then all the scared haters will leave town.

Why wait? Miami, Detroit, Oakland, Newark, Cleveland, New Haven, all once majority white cities now showpieces for "diversity." It's okay for you to say, "I hope OKC is a minority white city in my lifetime," but if I say I sure don't want OKC to become a minority white city - I'm a "hater." So typically politically correct.

By the way, I don't think we can deny that mestizo crime is far higher as a percentage than whites in Oklahoma City. Mestizo gangs run rampant in this town. How many white gangs? Check with the police department.

I hate it that we can't talk truth and honesty without it being labeled as "hate." Statistics are what they are.

In case someone thinks I am some flaming rightwinger - read this post (http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=21313&p=315373#post315373).

Achilleslastand
07-19-2011, 12:58 AM
Mexican and that other proud race that offers so many positive things to society are the minority but commit a much much higher crime rate then any other race.
Liberals take note.....Your experiments with diversity are a huge failure.

BayAreaOkie
07-19-2011, 01:04 AM
Beyond being a total mouth breathing, racist, hillbilly... I'm actually surprised that you spelled 'electrician' correctly. Tell you what, Deliverance -- don't worry about the Mexican influence on the pale faces of OKC. I think we'll be just fine, if we could just get rid of the Confederate flag waving electricians and their clueless girlfriends.

ljbab728
07-19-2011, 01:13 AM
Beyond being a total mouth breathing, racist, hillbilly... I'm actually surprised that you spelled 'electrician' correctly. Tell you what, Deliverance -- don't worry about the Mexican influence on the pale faces of OKC. I think we'll be just fine, if we could just get rid of the Confederate flag waving electricians and their clueless girlfriends.

That's a totally unnecessary personal attack. As mentioned by a previous poster, electrican did not make any bigoted comments in his post. I don't know what his motive was in starting the thread, but that's a stretch at the least. Being somewhat new here, you will find that the moderators don't take kindly to personal attacks.

dcsooner
07-19-2011, 04:22 AM
I must say I really like the change. Just this week, my family and I spent time in Capitol Hill and along the main business artery of SW 29th. It's colorful, interesting and different. Another night we enjoyed the best chicken in OKC at Pollo Regio on SW 29th and May.

Bring on the change! The more color the better! In fact, I hope OKC is a minority white city in my lifetime. In fact, the sooner this change occurs the better because maybe then all the scared haters will leave town.

Agree, OKC needs more diversity not less. OKC and OK in general needs to move past its present state of uneducated, intolerent, single minded people.

okcpulse
07-19-2011, 06:59 AM
Okay, the racial discussions stop now. If we cannot discuss diversity in an adult manner without belittling one another then this thread needs to be locked. This entire discussion has accomplished absolutely nothing.

Martin
07-19-2011, 07:12 AM
beyond being a total mouth breathing, racist, hillbilly...

certainly you can express your disagreement in a more civil manner... -M

RadicalModerate
07-19-2011, 07:13 AM
With "friends" like some of the hateful "bigots" in here seem to be, Hispanics/Latinos/Diversitivos don't need enemies . . .

PennyQuilts
07-19-2011, 07:24 AM
Agree, OKC needs more diversity not less. OKC and OK in general needs to move past its present state of uneducated, intolerent, single minded people.

Based on the over the top, insulting responses to the original poster. you may be on to something. Like a gang of wild beasts.

PennyQuilts
07-19-2011, 07:25 AM
Okay, the racial discussions stop now. If we cannot discuss diversity in an adult manner without belittling one another then this thread needs to be locked. This entire discussion has accomplished absolutely nothing.

And the sad part is that the posters who went out of their minds in a judgmental manner have shut down a perfectly legitimate topic. Screaming and spitting rarely accomplish anything good.

RadicalModerate
07-19-2011, 07:29 AM
Isn't one of the symptoms of the brain damage caused by modern (so-called) "liberalism" the ability to reach new lows of intolerance while promoting tolerance? That, and the inability to keep the knees from jerking.

MikeLucky
07-19-2011, 07:39 AM
Huh. It didn't bother me. It could have been worded in a more gentile way but I can't imagine that it would provoke the type of spittle and hatred that it did. What's up with that? Spring loaded.

Let me guess Penny.... you are white, huh? Of course the comment didn't bother you. lol

This thread has only become more of a joke... lol. Yeah, maybe the original poster who can't seem to master the basic elements of the english language is looking for a simple conversation regarding the matriculation of the hispanic population into central Oklahoma... yeah, THAT'S what he was doing.

If sparky was THAT interested in the genuine opinion of this board on such a serious anthropologic question, I'm sure he would have checked back at least once or twice to see the results of his simple query. So far it appears that he is nothing but a racist message board troll.

RadicalModerate
07-19-2011, 07:43 AM
Isn't it "anthropological"?
And isn't "ethno-centric" a more accurate term than "racist" in this case?

And how do you know that he hasn't checked back to review the rants and insults?
Do you have some special knowledge going beyond an obsession with proper English?

PennyQuilts
07-19-2011, 07:46 AM
Let me guess Penny.... you are white, huh? Of course the comment didn't bother you. lol

This thread has only become more of a joke... lol. Yeah, maybe the original poster who can't seem to master the basic elements of the english language is looking for a simple conversation regarding the matriculation of the hispanic population into central Oklahoma... yeah, THAT'S what he was doing.

If sparky was THAT interested in the genuine opinion of this board on such a serious anthropologic question, I'm sure he would have checked back at least once or twice to see the results of his simple query. So far it appears that he is nothing but a racist message board troll.

It is hard to imagine that such a judgmental lot thinks they have the moral authority or discernment to lecture others. Their meanspirited, sanctimonious hypocrisy is astounding. The fact that I am white means nothing to anyone but someone who judges others by the skin color. What I am saying crosses racial lines, regardless of my race. The only clearcut bigotry I've seen are the ones who seem to think that it is open season on white people. Anyone who thinks judging others on race who turns right around and attacks someone for being white (or white people as a group) is a straight up bigot. Racism is racism. We'll never move beyond it until people stop thinking that certain groups are legitimate targets. Slamming white people on the basis of their race, these days, is no different than slamming other minority groups at other times. All these people are doing is keeping racism alive by changing the target. Racism is disgusting. The ones attacking white people LIKE racism or they wouldn't do it.

Easy180
07-19-2011, 07:49 AM

This

PennyQuilts
07-19-2011, 07:55 AM
This

Sad that we have to such down a legitimate thead because the PC group scream so loud and can't tolerate a rational discussion.

earlywinegareth
07-19-2011, 07:56 AM
gotta be the dumbest thread in the history of okctalk - i think i need a vacation from the inanities

RadicalModerate
07-19-2011, 08:08 AM
It is hard to imagine that such a judgmental lot thinks they have the moral authority or discernment to lecture others. Their meanspirited, sanctimonious hypocrisy is astounding. The fact that I am white means nothing to anyone but someone who judges others by the skin color. What I am saying crosses racial lines, regardless of my race. The only clearcut bigotry I've seen are the ones who seem to think that it is open season on white people. Anyone who thinks judging others on race who turns right around and attacks someone for being white (or white people as a group) is a straight up bigot. Racism is racism. We'll never move beyond it until people stop thinking that certain groups are legitimate targets. Slamming white people on the basis of their race, these days, is no different than slamming other minority groups at other times. All these people are doing is keeping racism alive by changing the target. Racism is disgusting. The ones attacking white people LIKE racism or they wouldn't do it.

You may be right--about the ranking on the dumbness scale, of this thread--yet it would be difficult to top the observation, quoted, above.

(Hope I got all the punctuation rite. Some folks are pretty picky about that stuff.)

MikeLucky
07-19-2011, 08:14 AM

How is anything I said a slam on white people? I am slamming someone that has posted what appears to be a racist comment. And yet you are a white person that wasn't bothered by the comment. All I pointed out to you was that it didn't bother you since you are white.

But, it MIGHT have bothered you if you were a hispanic person that is an educated hard working Oklahoman that knows when the original poster sees him in and around his own damn home he thinks "there goes the neighborhood."

What kind of reaction do you think I would get if my username was hispaniccollegegrad and I started a thread about how a blue collar electrician moved in next door and he appears to one of several service people that moved into my neighborhood lately... Gee, I bet it would go pretty similar to this one.

Roadhawg
07-19-2011, 08:28 AM
gotta be the dumbest thread in the history of okctalk - i think i need a vacation from the inanities

You must have missed the Dana thread lol

RadicalModerate
07-19-2011, 08:34 AM
How is anything I said a slam on white people?
I am slamming someone that has posted what appears to be a racist comment.

Whereas, you immediately classified the first post of this thread as being [sic] "rascist" (although there is nothing in it specifically indicating that the initial poster thinks that the possibility of OKC becoming a "mini-mexico is necessarily a bad thing); then, later, wondered why he (or she--stereotyping an "electrician" with a "girlfriend" as a straight male is politically incorrect) hadn't been back to check the thread (an exercise in conjecture, special knowledge, or both); and then followed that up with the apparant ability to read the thoughts (albeit semi-paranoid) of the [Hispanic] man on the street regarding his "white" neighbor, I am surprised you would have to ask that question.

I am also surprised that you think PQ was referring specifically to you.

(Not to mention the unconscious racism implicit in assuming that the "electrician" him- or her-self wasn't Hispanic! After all, the skill sets of the fine and talented members of that ethnic group are not limited to landscaping.)

PennyQuilts
07-19-2011, 08:39 AM
All I pointed out to you was that it didn't bother you since you are white.
This is the heart of racism, my friend. You think you know enough about me to judge purely based on my race. That you meant it in a benign way doesn't change the fact that you are distinquishing based on race and think you understand and know my heart based on race. You can tell me what YOU think and attribute it to your race if you like. You don't know enough about me to say and to assume you know my motivations or abilities or anything of that nature, based on my race, is racism. What you said was far more racist than the original poster - you didn't even mince words about it. I know you didn't mean it that way and I don't take offense but the fact remains that your mindset was racism in its purest form. You weren't saying you hate white people (or black people or asian people or hispanics) but once you cross the threshhold to think race is a legitimate tool to "know" much about someone, you walk right through the door to start making decisions based on faulty knowledge. And a less kind person than yourself suddenly has no real reason to hold back on hating others based on race since they think they are free to attribute all kinds of nasty motivations or behaviors to others on that basis.

Some of the other posters were far less benign. They made wholesale attacks. This nonsense about looking forward to whites becoming a minority is shocking in the extreme. I am not saying I am opposed to more diversity but I AM shocked that someone would target any race and - based on their race - celebrate that they are going away.

The fact that some people think it is okay to attack white people seems to be based in the notion that "white" is a proxy for privilege. It is a morally bankrupt notion that thinks someone can legitimately distinguish good reasons and bad reasons for racism. When I read those comments I am reminded of the years leading up to WWII in Europe. I am not saying that is happening here - don't get me wrong. But I would like to point out to the people who think that it is okay to attack white people as a race because they are privileged that the exact same mentality was used to justify the attitudes towards jewish people. Jews were slandered without mercy because people hated them due to their perceived wealth and influence. The same people who are attacking white people because of their race who think that it is benign because whites are a majority and are privileged, to me, fall into the same category as the jew haters. Their behavior is identical to what happened pre WWII. Again, I am not saying we are going that way but the attitude and motivation is pretty much identical. I wouldn't be proud of that.

Everyone, if they want to, can find a reason to be prejudiced. The ones who struggle with it are aware that racism seems to fall across all racial lines and may even be part of who we are as human beings. Unfortunately, there are plenty of people who decry racism towards some groups but engage in it, full scale, towards other groups. Until we, as a culture, decide that race is a really stupid way to judge worth or motivations in other people, there will continue to be large groups of people who use it as an excuse to hate and think that so long as they get the "correct" group in their gun sights, they can engage in racism with impunity. "Correct" group to hate seems to be defined by the crowd you hang around with once race is legitimized as an important factor to consider in determining worth or characteristics.

MikeLucky
07-19-2011, 08:51 AM
How is anything I said a slam on white people?
I am slamming someone that has posted what appears to be a racist comment.

Whereas, you immediately classified the first post of this thread as being [sic] "rascist" (although there is nothing in it specifically indicating that the initial poster thinks that the possibility of OKC becoming a "mini-mexico is necessarily a bad thing); then, later, wondered why he (or she--stereotyping an "electrician" with a "girlfriend" as a straight male is politically incorrect) hadn't been back to check the thread (an exercise in conjecture, special knowledge, or both); and then followed that up with the apparant ability to read the thoughts (albeit semi-paranoid) of the [Hispanic] man on the street regarding his "white" neighbor, I am surprised you would have to ask that question.

I am also surprised that you think PQ was referring specifically to you.

Considering I am hispanic there isn't much mind reading going on there. And now that you mention that the original poster could be a woman, I have started thinking about something completely different than anything going on in this thread. And you don't have to be a mind reader to figure that one out. lol

And since I was post number 2 and led it with saying the original poster said something racist, I definitely assumed that PQ was talking to me.

And to be fair, I am half mexican, 1/4 czech, and 1/4 scotch-irish. I look something like a mexican, but in the airports it gets confused for 'terrorist' so I usually get some special treatment there. lol. And even sometimes I get A LOT of help at Dillards too. But, I am also educated and work behind a computer. And if I wear a tie and see a yard crew of hispanics at the fast food restaurant, they look at me like I sold out and somehow offended THEM by bettering myself. And you wouldn't believe the treatment my white girlfriend at the time and I received in predominantly hispanic New Mexico when we were there on a trip. I've seen a very dynamic range of racism in my lifetime.

So, I agree with PQ that 'racism is racism.' And that's what I saw in the very first post of this thread and I called it out. Just like I would if the situation were reversed.

MikeLucky
07-19-2011, 09:16 AM
This is the heart of racism, my friend. You think you know enough about me to judge purely based on my race. That you meant it in a benign way doesn't change the fact that you are distinquishing based on race and think you understand and know my heart based on race. You can tell me what YOU think and attribute it to your race if you like. You don't know enough about me to say and to assume you know my motivations or abilities or anything of that nature, based on my race, is racism. What you said was far more racist than the original poster - you didn't even mince words about it. I know you didn't mean it that way and I don't take offense but the fact remains that your mindset was racism in its purest form. You weren't saying you hate white people (or black people or asian people or hispanics) but once you cross the threshhold to think race is a legitimate tool to "know" much about someone, you walk right through the door to start making decisions based on faulty knowledge. And a less kind person than yourself suddenly has no real reason to hold back on hating others based on race since they think they are free to attribute all kinds of nasty motivations or behaviors to others on that basis.

Some of the other posters were far less benign. They made wholesale attacks. This nonsense about looking forward to whites becoming a minority is shocking in the extreme. I am not saying I am opposed to more diversity but I AM shocked that someone would target any race and - based on their race - celebrate that they are going away.

The fact that some people think it is okay to attack white people seems to be based in the notion that "white" is a proxy for privilege. It is a morally bankrupt notion that thinks someone can legitimately distinguish good reasons and bad reasons for racism. When I read those comments I am reminded of the years leading up to WWII in Europe. I am not saying that is happening here - don't get me wrong. But I would like to point out to the people who think that it is okay to attack white people as a race because they are privileged that the exact same mentality was used to justify the attitudes towards jewish people. Jews were slandered without mercy because people hated them due to their perceived wealth and influence. The same people who are attacking white people because of their race who think that it is benign because whites are a majority and are privileged, to me, fall into the same category as the jew haters. Their behavior is identical to what happened pre WWII. Again, I am not saying we are going that way but the attitude and motivation is pretty much identical. I wouldn't be proud of that.

Everyone, if they want to, can find a reason to be prejudiced. The ones who struggle with it are aware that racism seems to fall across all racial lines and may even be part of who we are as human beings. Unfortunately, there are plenty of people who decry racism towards some groups but engage in it, full scale, towards other groups. Until we, as a culture, decide that race is a really stupid way to judge worth or motivations in other people, there will continue to be large groups of people who use it as an excuse to hate and think that so long as they get the "correct" group in their gun sights, they can engage in racism with impunity. "Correct" group to hate seems to be defined by the crowd you hang around with once race is legitimized as an important factor to consider in determining worth or characteristics.

Penny I think this is a very thought out and well written post. And honestly I agree with you much more than it appears in this thread. Saying you weren't offended by the original post because you were white was a racist comment and I said it for effect.

Racism IS a difficult topic and we obviously aren't going to solve it here. lol. But to be clear I am not just coming after white people. I felt that the original post was a racist comment and I stand by that. Maybe it was intended to be racist, and maybe it wasn't. But, until the OP comes back and clarifies their intentions we're all just spitting in the wind.

But at this point it appears to be trolling. So I wouldn't hold my breath on any clarification. lol

RadicalModerate
07-19-2011, 09:17 AM
"Considering I am hispanic there isn't much mind reading going on there."
Dang, Bro . . . Careful what you say: Some people could take that self-describing sentence as a racial slur regarding the cranial capacity of [a certain ethnic group] . . . If it was misread. =)

"And to be fair, I am half mexican, 1/4 czech, and 1/4 scotch-irish."
I'm a Euro-Mongrel, Half-Swedish/Northern European Other (including some Scottish and Irish!).

Since there were lots of "Vikings in the Woodpiles" of pre-Medieval Europe--including the "British" Isles, we could be cousins!

There seems to be a lot of Diversity going on here. And that's a good thing!
(I wonder if anyone knows the words to Kum-ba-ya in Spanish) . . .

So . . . Is it possible that the "extra attention" at airports is due to the Irish connection?
Or just overzealous TSA agents? (Sorry: Off topic)