View Full Version : 2011 FIFA Womens World Cup Finals - USA vs. Japan

Dustin
07-17-2011, 11:46 AM
Game starts in 15 minutes! I'm not really a fan of soccer but this is exciting!

USA! USA! USA!

The pregame is on ESPN right now.

blangtang
07-17-2011, 12:36 PM
its a damn long pregame. suppose they gotta air loads of advertisements to make it worth covering

Easy180
07-17-2011, 05:01 PM
Be kicking themselves for the rest of their lives after choking the lead twice...Great tourney tho

dmoor82
07-17-2011, 06:08 PM
Great words from Solo after the loss.Japan needs uplifting stories like this after the tragic earthquake which left that country in ruins!

Wambo36
07-17-2011, 06:50 PM
What a sad ending to a great tournament. Easily should have been ahead by 2-3 goals at half.
We were out of town and without a way to watch the game, so the 11 of us took over a small burger shack with cable and a TV in the dining room and convinced them to watch the game instead of CNN. On the bright side there are now about 30 more fans of US womens soccer, in Locust Grove America, after today's game.

Thunder
07-17-2011, 06:57 PM
USA lost?

Pete
07-17-2011, 07:28 PM
Very common in soccer when a team doesn't convert their opportunities and the other team takes advantage.

Congratulations to Japan for battling back and coming through in the clutch. That country really needed the boost.

venture
07-17-2011, 08:27 PM
Great words from Solo after the loss.Japan needs uplifting stories like this after the tragic earthquake which left that country in ruins!

Completely agree with this. It will do much more for Japan than it would have for the US. Heck, it probably would have only had a short blurb on the evening news after all the Washington Drama and I-405 Closing stories.

Wambo36
07-17-2011, 08:49 PM
Japan was definitely the Cinderella team of the final four. You're right, as far as a national pick me up, they'll get more out of it than we will. It was certainly fun to watch people with absolutely no interest in soccer start rooting for the US women by the time it was over. They actually thanked us for coming in and calling their attention to the game.

jstaylor62
07-18-2011, 07:22 AM
Really? we get beat by a bunch of AMP girls?

The headline should read:

No Happy Finish for USA Women

earlywinegareth
07-18-2011, 08:38 AM
Yeah I was disappointed for about 3 seconds until I realized how much it would mean for their country. If we had won, we'd almost look like bullies. As far as how the game was played, I was disappointed with the defense in close to the goal and there was an obvious letup after each of the US' goals that allowed Japan to counter. I don't think we were as mentally tough as the Japanese.

Bill Robertson
07-18-2011, 01:24 PM
I agree. The USA women let up after both USA goals. Solo and the two defenders in front of goal looked like The Three Stooges on Japan's second goal. Also, Japan will take this and tie it to thier recovery form disaster and make it a big deal. The USA would do just as we did 12 years ago. Big deal for a few days then "Soccer, do we play soccer?".