View Full Version : Tragic Accident

ljbab728
07-14-2011, 11:52 PM
It's absolutely unbelievable that something like this could happen. Obviously some kind of safety considerations were being overlooked and this company is facing major investigations and financial responsibilities.

http://newsok.com/bar-s-foods-employee-in-lawton-dies-after-falling-into-machine/article/3585531?custom_click=headlines_widget

Thunder
07-15-2011, 12:17 AM
Freaky to be cut in half. :-(

ljbab728
07-15-2011, 12:22 AM
Freaky to be cut in half. :-(

That's not quite how I would describe it.

Achilleslastand
07-15-2011, 12:30 AM
Ive worked around equip like this before and you have to be on your toes 100% of the time or the end result will be things like this happening. I would probably blame human error more then anything else.
Hopefully he didnt suffer to long.
Prayers go out to all the family and loved ones.

ljbab728
07-15-2011, 12:35 AM
Ive worked around equip like this before and you have to be on your toes 100% of the time or the end result will be things like this happening. I would probably blame human error more then anything else.
Hopefully he didnt suffer to long.
Prayers go out to all the family and loved ones.

You may be right but I would think that some kind of safety restraint like that which is used by workers on high rise office buildings should be used to prevent falls when the potential exists for this kind of accident.

RadicalModerate
07-15-2011, 01:40 AM
I nearly cut off two fingers being stupid around a lawnmower a few years ago.
(By ignoring ALL of the safety protocols.)

I'm sure glad that I didn't have the opportunity to be just as stupid by ignoring safety protocols around industrial meat processing equipment.

I probably would have ended up just like him.
(And I have a slightly shortened middle finger to prove it.)

Ginkasa
07-15-2011, 02:31 AM
It is tragic. However, I would rather know the track record at Bar S Foods in regards to injuries and whatnot and also the results of their investigation before blaming the company for overlooking safety considerations.

Sometimes bad things happen and nothing reasonable could have been done to stop it.

BBatesokc
07-15-2011, 05:48 AM
I worked a case where an employee of a well known pie maker in the Southern part of our state was injured. She fell against a pie crust making machine. She put her hand out to catch her fall and her hand went inside the machine. The machine thought her hand was dough and promptly closed (to the thickness of a pie crust), and heated up. Apparently physical safety guards to prevent such accidents were not in place. The hand was fused into a single "flipper." Doctors wanted it removed, but she choose to keep it and cover it with a glove. Surprisingly, she got very little in the lawsuit.

Thunder
07-15-2011, 06:27 AM
Brian, any chance for a picture of this flipper?

MadMonk
07-15-2011, 09:11 AM
Dude, that's sick. There are other places on the internet where you can get your fix for the macabre.

MikeLucky
07-15-2011, 09:17 AM

Wow you are a piece of work.

Thunder
07-15-2011, 09:59 AM
I'm just curious. I can't see how it make a hand into a flipper.

Roadhawg
07-15-2011, 10:25 AM
I'm just curious. I can't see how it make a hand into a flipper.

Stick your hand into a machine and find out.

Thunder
07-15-2011, 10:41 AM
Stick your hand into a machine and find out.

But that will turn me into an animal. :-(

I already look like a freak alien.

RadicalModerate
07-15-2011, 11:01 AM
You don't walk around with those "batteries" in your ear lobes, do you?
Please tell me that you don't.

ou48A
07-15-2011, 11:58 AM
Equipment such as this should have been shut down, locked out and tagged.

Thunder
07-15-2011, 01:43 PM
You don't walk around with those "batteries" in your ear lobes, do you?
Please tell me that you don't.

I used to, but the bone closed up my ear canal, so those devices with "batteries" are useless now.