View Full Version : Kid-unfriendly restaurants in OKC

Pages : [1] 2

pickles
07-12-2011, 09:17 AM
Can anyone recommend any good, kid-unfriendly restaurants in OKC? Maybe one that doesn't allow kids under 6 or so? Please let me know so I might be able to patronize them repeatedly with all due haste.

kevinpate
07-12-2011, 09:26 AM
There's always the balcony at the Warren.

Off-hand, though they are not expressly barred, I don't have any recall ever experiencing or hearing about unruly children acting out at the nicer, and pricier, locations, e.g., Red Prime, The Mantle, Jamil's.

I suppose I am lucky but I rarely experience unruly children when we are out to eat, even at an Ihop or something similar, unless it is a place that caters to the unruly with kiddie toys galore or by just being very kiddie centric. I tend to not eat at those places. Even though I really adore children, I'm just not a fan of the kiddie centric food.

Some other places I've enjoyed sans unruly children issues include Bella Vista, Italiano's, Leo's, Iquana MG, Abuelo's, Chelino's (S. Robinson), Zio's in Bricktown, Bourbon St. Cafe, Crabtown in Bricktown, Nino's on S. Western, former Adobe Grill (but haven't been since renamed a while back), along with others

pickles
07-12-2011, 10:03 AM
You are indeed lucky. It's not as if I'm eating at Burger King when I run into these screeching hellbeasts.

Pete
07-12-2011, 10:09 AM
Lots and lots of bars that also serve food specifically restrict admission to anyone under 21.

The Fox & Hound on Memorial and Drunken Fry on 51st & Classen leap to mind. I know there are a ton of others.

BBatesokc
07-12-2011, 10:14 AM
While 1492 does have highchairs, it doesn't have a children's menu, which tends to discourage some from bringing the kiddos. Personally, as long as its not an expensive 'romantic' restaurant and the parent(s) are not ignoring a rowdy child, I personally don't have a problem with it.

krisb
07-12-2011, 12:33 PM
On that note, can anyone recommend any kid-friendly restaurants where children can be exert a little energy without mean grown-ups giving them bad looks?

kevinpate
07-12-2011, 12:38 PM
On that note, can anyone recommend any kid-friendly restaurants where children can be exert a little energy without mean grown-ups giving them bad looks?

Ihop, denny's, just about any pizza hole, any place that provides a specific play area, any place with more than 3 choices for the kiddie menu

pickles
07-12-2011, 02:20 PM

Chuck E Cheese

rcjunkie
07-12-2011, 02:21 PM
You are indeed lucky. It's not as if I'm eating at Burger King when I run into these screeching hellbeasts.

I bet your the life of the party at family reunion's!!!!!!!!!!

jbkrems
07-12-2011, 03:31 PM
Bin 73... no kids under 21 allowed. (But us grown-up kids are allowed, LOL) !!!

BDK
07-12-2011, 04:00 PM

Johnny Carinos. Worst, stupidest date choice of my young life.

PennyQuilts
07-12-2011, 04:27 PM
When I was a young mother, we'd save up to go out on a nice "date" away from the kids and so often, there would be a family there letting their kids run wild. Sometimes parents would bring their kids and they'd be perfectly polite. Mine always were and I never had to beat them to get them to behave. Parents who inflict their kids on others are jerks.

MikeOKC
07-12-2011, 04:50 PM
Here's an odd coincidence for you. I read your question and within 30 minutes stumbled across this story about a restaurant banning kids under 6.....it's on today's Yahoo News.
http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/parenting/restaurant-bans-kids-under-6-discrimination-or-smart-move-2509487/

Steve
07-12-2011, 04:58 PM
Let's be honest here; the real questions is what local restaurants are generally not patronized by bad parents who let their kids run around and be loud? What restaurants are willing to confront such rude customers?
When I go out with my family, I'm quick to take my little one out to the car for a "time out" when he misbehaves. It's called common courtesy, but unfortunately there's a segment of the population that forgotten such social etiquette.

WilliamTell
07-12-2011, 05:24 PM
Personally I haven't had many bad experiences with kids while dining out at 'nicer' restaurants but I have noticed people with unruly children most typically flock to big American food chain restaurants (chilis, etc..). This does bring up a different dynamic in that i have sat on airplanes and other public places where parents have thought that it was their GOD GIVEN right for their child to beat on the tray that was connected to the back of my chair and then get IRATE with me when i politely asked them if they could stop....

I love kids, I know its hard, i dont expect them to be perfect quite angels but there is no way in hell you are allowed to make your child my problem.

USAF
07-12-2011, 05:41 PM
Sit at the bar, problem solved.

krisb
07-12-2011, 06:54 PM
Let's be honest here; the real questions is what local restaurants are generally not patronized by bad parents who let their kids run around and be loud? What restaurants are willing to confront such rude customers?
When I go out with my family, I'm quick to take my little one out to the car for a "time out" when he misbehaves. It's called common courtesy, but unfortunately there's a segment of the population that forgotten such social etiquette.

What about the infants and small children that are just fussy, not misbehaving. Why can grown-ups carry on with all manner of drunkenness in a restaurant, but kids can't make a noise? This goes back to our society's expectation that children should sit still and be quiet at all times.

BDK
07-12-2011, 07:22 PM
What about the infants and small children that are just fussy, not misbehaving. Why can grown-ups carry on with all manner of drunkenness in a restaurant, but kids can't make a noise? This goes back to our society's expectation that children should sit still and be quiet at all times.

I'd imagine it's because grown-ups are carrying on with their drunkenness after dinner hours. If some drunks are making a scene during normal dinner hours, of course they should be spoken to by management or asked to leave. I think society expects children to act like young adults when they are at a nice restaurant, I don't think that's not too much to ask.

I think the child issue is just part of the greater issue of people not being as courteous in public as they once were. Maybe I was just born a few generations too late, but I get irked when folks come to upscale restaurants in their shorts and t-shirts. So yeah, fussy kids bother me when they are taken to the wrong environment. Take the little ones to Applebee's, or let grandma and grandpa take them off your hands for a few hours.

BBatesokc
07-12-2011, 07:32 PM
There's young kids pitching a fit, being rowdy and running around and then there's infants and toddlers just being infants and toddlers. We sat next to a small group that had two little kids (maybe 1 and 3) and they made noise and the occassional high pitched scream (1yr old). Some patrons shot a glare or rolled their eyes. We personally just looked over and smiled at the kids. The paretns were trying to sooth or pacify them and they were obviously restless. I don't have patience with adults (because they know better), and young kids should be taught manners in public, but kiddos do what kiddos do.

However, one reason we never go to the movies except to the first showing of the day (10am usually) is because the adults often have no manners at all - answering their phone, texting, talking load, etc.

jn1780
07-12-2011, 07:43 PM

I imagine pickles is talking about a "classy" adult atmosphere where adults and kids don't run amok.

Easy180
07-12-2011, 07:43 PM
Have two under three and either throws a fit one takes the perpetrator out to the vehicle instead of battling thru it...Rather have some cold enchiladas than annoy fellow diners

lake hefner breeze
07-12-2011, 11:04 PM

I get called out for "inflammatory posts", but this is OK?

Denigrating children is cool 'round here, but saying you aren't a fan of the Devon Tower is a sacriledge worthy of a warning?!

Nice values.

lake hefner breeze
07-12-2011, 11:09 PM

Exactly.

Some people forget that they were once "screaming hellbeasts", too.

lake hefner breeze
07-12-2011, 11:37 PM
Can anyone recommend any good, kid-unfriendly restaurants in OKC? Maybe one that doesn't allow kids under 6 or so? Please let me know so I might be able to patronize them repeatedly with all due haste.

If you are having such a problem with this pickles then you should just get take-out from your favorite establishments and eat at home.

Larry OKC
07-12-2011, 11:53 PM
Guess the same could be said about smokers, if you don't like it you don't have to go there or take it to go?

It goes back to what others have been saying, common courtesy...like common sense, it seems like it is rarely common anymore. There was a time where a middle ground of sorts existed. Somewhere between "children should be seen and not heard" and those parents that take the opposite approach, totally ignoring their children and letting them do whatever they want. I was reared with the idea that there times and places for just about any behavior. Playtime was for playgrounds. But even at someplace like McDonald's, once you came back inside, you behaved yourself. There was a thing as indoor & outdoor voices. Crying babies, tantrum throwing toddlers were quickly removed by the parent and behavior was corrected.

bandnerd
07-13-2011, 07:11 AM
Restaurants, as I recall, are for eating. Playgrounds are, surprising as it may seem, for playing. There are a few establishments that combine the two (Chuck E. Cheese, GattiTown, etc.).

I have had a lovely dinner not ruined, but I was definitely annoyed, at Red Rock once when a toddler climbed over into our booth from the neighboring one. The parents hardly noticed. I would consider that to be an establishment that isn't really meant for kids, but for adults.

Some people who have kids inflict them on everyone around them. Why should I suffer for their decision to have children?

Martin
07-13-2011, 07:40 AM
i just want to give a shout out to the mom who was dining at cafe antigua three weeks ago who allowed her young daughter to wander around the restaurant while playing with a squeak toy. thanks!

i think that the problem isn't so much the kids themselves but the parents that don't monitor their behavior. -M

bretthexum
07-13-2011, 08:02 AM
i just want to give a shout out to the mom who was dining at cafe antigua three weeks ago who allowed her young daughter to wander around the restaurant while playing with a squeak toy. thanks!

i think that the problem isn't so much the kids themselves but the parents that don't monitor their behavior. -M

Yep, kids will be kids. Especially the terrible 2's. It's 90% parents 10% kids fault.

RadicalModerate
07-13-2011, 08:16 AM
We once had a wonderful dinner at "Chefs di Domani" (the restaurant part of the Culinary School at Platt College over on Memorial Rd.) disrupted by "kids" . . .

The lights were low . . . The wine was fine . . . Some mellow, classic Miles Davis was providing the background music . . . And at an adjacent table, across the aisle and slightly behind me, a group of high school kids on a field trip was talking loudly, giggling and generally being obnoxious.

I provided a "teachable moment" for our "server-in-training" by reminding him that we weren't in a Burger King or McDonalds and requesting that he do something about it. I also made it clear--using as soft and reasonable tone as I could muster--that if he didn't, I would.

Eventually, the manager/teacher/chef-on-duty got involved, and the sugggestion was made that we could be moved to a quieter table. My response was that the location of our table wasn't the problem: The behavior of the "children" at the other table was. It was also suggested that we could get a free pass to come back and dine another night. This suggestion was also rejected.

I'm not sure if it was something that one of the staff finally said to them--or if it was the Death Ray Stare that my wife (who was seated facing them) was beaming in their direction--but it wasn't long before things quieted down.

By the way . . . I HIGHLY recommend "Chefs di Domani" (the food is excellent and, while not inexpensive, you get what you pay for. I would go back there anytime.

TaoMaas
07-13-2011, 08:31 AM
I find these kinds of discussions very bizarre. We very rarely run into situations where kids are disrupting things.

RadicalModerate
07-13-2011, 08:40 AM
I find these kinds of discussions very bizarre. We very rarely run into situations where kids are disrupting things.

There are at least three possible explanations for that:
1) You have incredibly good dining timing.
2) You only frequent restaurants such as the ones the orginal poster was requesting a list . . . of.
3) The disruptions have been so all-pervading and constant that they aren't seen as disruptions. =)

pickles
07-13-2011, 08:50 AM
Going to Ludivine next week. Hope I don't get barfed on/drink spilled into my wife's purse/have to listen to some idiot feed their kid while doing the chugga chugga chugga choo choo thing!

kevinpate
07-13-2011, 08:59 AM
Going to Ludivine next week. Hope I don't get barfed on/drink spilled into my wife's purse/have to listen to some idiot feed their kid while doing the chugga chugga chugga choo choo thing!

lol, I have those same thoughts just about anytime I wander into a college centric eatery.

RadicalModerate
07-13-2011, 09:01 AM

LOL. (No. Seriously: LOL.)

Since it is apparently a haven for children who just never got enough of Showbiz Pizza, Chuck-E-Cheese and/or Another Ancient Provider of the Animatronic/Arcade Dining Experience, I wonder what Dave and Buster's policy on "disruptive kids" will be . . .

PennyQuilts
07-13-2011, 09:13 AM
Exactly.

Plenty of us have raised kids and didn't let them behave that way in a public restaurant. It is beyond rude to allow your children to act like they are on a playground when other people have paid good money for a nice dinner. The fact that kids are sometimes little screaming hellbeasts is why you don't take them to places like that unless they are going to follow the rules of civilized society.

RadicalModerate
07-13-2011, 09:30 AM
I don't think that PennyQ's summary of the situation/debate can be topped.

"Beyond Rude" might be abbreviated Rude2 (or "Rude Squared" since I don't know the alt.code for a superscript 2.)

Now . . . Being a 1952-Vintage Square--this is probably why differences of opinions, across the generational matrix--on this topic arise: Opinions evolved--prior to The New! Improved!! Millenium--are nearly incapable of further evolution. (It might be good to remember, here, that most mutations are not favorable for survival of the species as a whole.)

And, as Kurt Vonnegut once observed: "So it goes" . . .

rcjunkie
07-13-2011, 09:34 AM
I wonder how many kids set in resturaunts thinking "man, look at those old people, just stting there, quietly talking, they must be bored out of their minds. They need to relax, smile, laugh, kick up their heels, and enjoy life, stop sweating the small stuff".

RadicalModerate
07-13-2011, 09:40 AM
They are probably too busy relaxing, smiling, laughing, kicking up their heels and enjoying their version of life to do much thinking at all.

Thinking about stuff like that cuts into the "Being Cute" time.

So . . . How about a "kid-friendly" restaurant (for kids of all ages) called: "NeverNeverLand"?
It could have a "quiet room" section where dates could text each other across the table without fear of being struck by a stray Skee-Ball.

This could also serve as a sort of "transition zone" to prepare "kids" for later stepping up to "grown-up" establishments (even though this would be sort of a sneaky way of rendering less than accurate the name of the "fun-zone with food") . . .

Toys R Us probably has some spare cash laying around to invest in something like this.

PennyQuilts
07-13-2011, 11:02 AM
For a few years when my kids were little, we were church goers. When the kids turned four, they could no longer stay in the nursery and were expected to go to "big church." What a nightmare. At one point, my son yelled out, "Mom, stop PINCHING me!" I wasn't doing any such thing, the little heathen. If you can teach your kids to sit still in church, being polite in a restaurant is child's play.

RadicalModerate
07-13-2011, 11:09 AM
Well . . . Not necessarily . . .

(This just in, from the field, c/o The Lady With The Death Ray Eyes (mentioned, above) with whom I shared a link to this thread) . . .

Great, great, thread. I am very surprised, though, that no one brought out the fact that since these children are allowed this behavior by parents one can only wonder what their meals at home are like? Are the kiddos jumping up and down, leaving the table, screaming, talking, etc.? My generation was “trained” how to behave AT HOME! If we misbehaved in a restaurant (and remember there was a crew of us); one of our parents went out to the car and sat there with us until the others were finished. THEN we really caught H**L when we got home – so the bad behavior was not often repeated. In fact, I only remember isolated incidents where this happened. My four brothers were terrors – but usually NOT at the dinner table. That kind of misbehavior meant a trip to the woodshed – and WE DID have a woodshed.

I remember having dinner after Church with S. and her girls who were 11 and 13 respectively. They kept getting out of the chairs, going to the bathroom, standing by the table, kneeling with one knee on the chair and the other standing…basically very distracting. After Sharon told them to settle down a time or two, I finally made the comment that they were like Jacks (Jackie’s?) – in – the – Box, and that it was very disrupting and perhaps the last time I would go out to dinner with them if they didn’t sit down and behave. Maybe because they respected me so much, or knew that because I said something they were going to ‘get it’ when they got home, but they both settled down.

Well, that turned out to be a long response…

And also, proof positive, that the laying on of the ruler, by nuns, at a Catholic (Parochial) School--backed up by related measures utilized by the parents at home, probably results not only in better restaurant etiquette but more orderly schools in which the learning process is facilitated.

PennyQuilts
07-13-2011, 11:40 AM
You can't expect kids to know how to behave in a nice restaurant unless their parents take the time and effort to teach them. Kids, by their nature, are savages so you really can't blame them when they are little. However, people who choose to have children have taken on the responsibility to civilize them and not turn them loose on the rest of us. I miss the days when any adult was expected to admonish an out of control child on behalf of the community at large (and in the best interests of the child). So many parents, these days have it backwards. They think the whole world is supposed to revolve around their child and that teaching them manners is too much to ask. For them to think that how their child behaves in public is no one else's business is ridiculous.

bandnerd
07-13-2011, 04:20 PM
You can't expect kids to know how to behave in a nice restaurant unless their parents take the time and effort to teach them. Kids, by their nature, are savages so you really can't blame them when they are little. However, people who choose to have children have taken on the responsibility to civilize them and not turn them loose on the rest of us. I miss the days when any adult was expected to admonish an out of control child on behalf of the community at large (and in the best interests of the child). So many parents, these days have it backwards. They think the whole world is supposed to revolve around their child and that teaching them manners is too much to ask. For them to think that how their child behaves in public is no one else's business is ridiculous.

Then I would like to know what in the world my parents did to my sister and me when we were little, because we were very well-behaved children. I'm not just saying that. My mom tells us how calm, quiet, and respectful we were. She says she never did anything to really make us be that way, that she just got lucky. She and Dad never laid a hand on us. We were never grounded. Good behavior was EXPECTED and NORMAL. Being a crazy savage-child wasn't. We were also spoken to like adults and were always regarded, at least by my mother, very calmly and quietly, even when she was angry with us. Maybe that's the ticket...

PennyQuilts
07-13-2011, 04:48 PM
Then I would like to know what in the world my parents did to my sister and me when we were little, because we were very well-behaved children. I'm not just saying that. My mom tells us how calm, quiet, and respectful we were. She says she never did anything to really make us be that way, that she just got lucky. She and Dad never laid a hand on us. We were never grounded. Good behavior was EXPECTED and NORMAL. Being a crazy savage-child wasn't. We were also spoken to like adults and were always regarded, at least by my mother, very calmly and quietly, even when she was angry with us. Maybe that's the ticket...

My kids were the same way but they wouldn't have been if we had looked the other way when they were acting out in public. That means a parent has to be tuned into their kids to make sure they head off tantrums or inappropriate behavior before it gets out of hand. They need to make sure the kids aren't exhausted, hungry, need (really need) attention for something, etc. That isn't about beating a child or even disciplining them - at least in terms of taking bad behavior and trying to change it. It is about keeping their child in age appropriate situations they can handle and avoiding thrusting them in situations that are too much for them to handle at a given age. To do that, a parent has to be paying close attention - and that is hard. A good parent who sees their 18 month old climbing on the back of a booth (which they'll do) is going to calmly redirect them without missing a step and if they are old enough, explain that climbing on booths is not allowed. A poor parent will let it go, especially if there isn't another patron there. Or sometimes they will, sometimes they won't. And then what? The child wants to do it everytime. Poor parents think little kids understand general rules and exceptions to rules. They don't. Once a parent allows a child to wander around a restaurant they've taught the child that such behavior is appropriate and given them a taste for it. Changing the rules on kids is an uphill battle and, fact is, it is unfair. Parents who let kids scream at the dinner table at home, throw silverware, play with toy cars on the table, etc., can pretty much expect that the kids are going to do the same thing in public unless the parent is consistent and dilligent about making sure the kids understand that there is public behavior and private. Like I said, I think the most important thing is that a parent needs to be paying attention to what is going on with their child and redirect before the child is out of control or engaging in inappropriate behavior. Once they cross the line or engage in certain inappropriate behavior but the parent ignores it, their little brains have created a circuit that will be difficult and frustrating to them to change.

MikeOKC
07-13-2011, 05:14 PM

Couldn't have said it any better. Penny, you nailed it.

kevinpate
07-13-2011, 05:42 PM
Bandnerd, there were expectations, and you lived up to those. Children most always live up to, or down to, the expectations set for them by the adults around them.

bluedogok
07-13-2011, 06:15 PM
Exactly.

I don't know how old you are but there was a time when "screaming hellbeasts" weren't tolerated by society, much less by their own parents and not that long ago either. I really don't remember kids having fits all the time like many of them seem to now...of course most of them do it because they know their parents will give in to their tantrums so the parents are just reinforcing that bad behavior gets them what they want.

OSUMom
07-13-2011, 09:27 PM
Yep, kids will be kids. Especially the terrible 2's. It's 90% parents 10% kids fault.

At that age, I would say 100% parents fault. Kids will be kids. How are they supposed to know how to behave if the parents don't teach them? Personally, while it is a bit jolting for a child to suddenly start screaming, I don't mind it too much as long as the parent deals with it by taking them outside. Exception is a play or movie. Kids that age should NEVER be there unless it is a kid movie. But as long as the parent takes care of the situation then I can understand the occasional outburst other places. It is the parents that let the kids scream on and on, or let them run around endangering themselves and others and being completely annoying that really bother me.

PennyQuilts
07-13-2011, 09:37 PM
Personally, while it is a bit jolting for a child to suddenly start screaming, I don't mind it too much as long as the parent deals with it by taking them outside.

Exactly. People think it is the kids people don't like but most of the time, we "get" that kids will be kids. Any reasonable person understands that, even in the days of kids being seen and not heard. It is the inconsiderate/incompetent parents that are the problem. That being said, bringing a two year old to a nice restaurant, no matter how quickly you deal with a situation, is inconsiderate because you KNOW the little darling is going to start squealing, even under the best of circumstances. It is inconsiderate to destroy the mood for other people who may have saved up for the occasion, be having a special event like an anniversary, etc. And let's face it, those kinds of places aren't fun for little ones who aren't going to enjoy a nice steak, a glass of wine and polite dinner talk. Why torture everyone, including the child?

OSUMom
07-13-2011, 09:43 PM
My thought when my kids were that age was "Why tourture myself and take them to a restaurant that takes time?" A buffet or fast food and you are in and out. The more time you take sitting doing nothing but waiting in a restaurant, the more misery you visit upon everyone, including yourself. It was consideration for others, but also self-preservation that made us not take a little one to a nicer, slower restaurant. So exactly Penny, tourture is the exact right word for taking that age to a nicer restaurant. Unless you don't care about the kid or others around you. Then you can merrily have a great, oblivious dinner.

bandnerd
07-13-2011, 09:51 PM
Bandnerd, there were expectations, and you lived up to those. Children most always live up to, or down to, the expectations set for them by the adults around them.

This is most likely the best explanation. I wish I were half as calm and attentive now as I was then.

kevinpate
07-13-2011, 10:11 PM
This is most likely the best explanation. I wish I were half as calm and attentive now as I was then.

you weren't a teacher then, nor with mid. <vbg>

ljbab728
07-13-2011, 10:41 PM
The more things change, the more they stay the same:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wCXr_6wgns

Larry OKC
07-13-2011, 10:46 PM
Ran into this situation today. Two diametrically opposite experiences with families seated in the table next to mine.

In front of me was the "screeching hellbeast" example. 3 adults and 1 child. The child was old enough to speak, yet whenever he wanted attention, food or a drink he screeched full force. This was repeatedly rewarded with laughter from the adults (apparently the parents and grandmother) and some food or drink.

At the other table was 1 adult and 3 very well behaved young, probably kindergarten aged girls.

I made it a point to compliment the well behaving children and their mother. The children had to translate for me as the mother spoke little English. Even though there was a language/communication barrier, it was obvious that manners and courtesy can transcend.

As others have pointed out, one has to wonder if the same behavior is exhibited at home, but can't see any reason for it to be any different than what I saw today.

ljbab728
07-13-2011, 11:07 PM
Ran into this situation today. Two diametrically opposite experiences with families seated in the table next to mine.

In front of me was the "screeching hellbeast" example. 3 adults and 1 child. The child was old enough to speak, yet whenever he wanted attention, food or a drink he screeched full force. This was repeatedly rewarded with laughter from the adults (apparently the parents and grandmother) and some food or drink.

At the other table was 1 adult and 3 very well behaved young, probably kindergarten aged girls.

I made it a point to compliment the well behaving children and their mother. The children had to translate for me as the mother spoke little English. Even though there was a language/communication barrier, it was obvious that manners and courtesy can transcend.

As others have pointed out, one has to wonder if the same behavior is exhibited at home, but can't see any reason for it to be any different than what I saw today.

You didn't mention what language the mother spoke but I'm guessing it was Spanish. Maybe it's just me but I seem to notice that our hispanic population seems to have better control of their young children when out in public. It could be just a cultural thing and it might change as they get more absorbed into American culture.

Easy180
07-14-2011, 04:26 AM
Now that I am a parent and have 3 yrs of restaurant experience I believe parenting comes into play but not as much as you think...Kids are normally amped up to be out and some of them simply don't handle the social scene and being surrounded by strangers as well as others

Easy to blame it on parenting but trying to fully understand the mind of a 3 yr old is useless

Midtowner
07-14-2011, 07:04 AM
It comes down for respect for others. Some folks have it, some don't. If you have respect for others, don't bring your children to inappropriate places; don't go to a restaurant and talk loudly or cackle at things which aren't really funny. Be respectful of space and boundaries and such. At the same time, if you're at Chile's or Applebees, and someone brings their screaming hellions, be conscious of the fact that you are not at The Carriage House.

earlywinegareth
07-14-2011, 07:23 AM
Eat in the bar, duh.

bandnerd
07-14-2011, 07:52 AM
Ate at Cajun King last night. There was a very well-behaved young man sitting with a nice, quiet family (looked like parents and grandparents) sitting directly behind us. He was talking with his family, got up to refill his plate, ate his food and was very respectful. He was probably 9 or 10. It made me smile. Another time we were there, a couple behind us had a small child...maybe 3...who was eating EVERYTHING they put in front of her. She was happy as a clam, smiling, not screaming and seemed to be having the time of her life.

I can handle that. I don't hate children, I just hate when bad behavior in public--restaurants, grocery stores, malls, anywhere--isn't corrected.

And kevinpate--Man, being a teacher will make you so easily distracted. :D

OKCMallen
07-14-2011, 07:56 AM
I just find it to be hit and miss. We were at Earl's the other night on Western and there was a little screecher...but I mean, it's Earl's, so while the screeching is probably never acceptable, it's to be expected there will be kids around being a little disruptive....and it's no tlike we were looking for a quiet, fancy meal either.

However, this issue is near and dear to my heart. I find it socially appalling when parents let their kids behave this way. Some close friends of mine did this at Coach's in Bricktown. Now, that's a kid friendly place, sure. But these kids (probably around 2 and 4) were running up and down and up and down and up and down the ramp in there. Servers were having to dodge them, etc. Totally rude.

We later had a conversation about a related topic, and the mom got offended, "What are we supposed to do, just stay home?!" I looked at her dead in the eye and said, "Well, yeah." IT's that simple- when you have kids and they're too young to control/you can't control them, you simply don't need to be in crowded restaurants. There are sacrifices that come with kids. We aren't all supposed to accommodate you.

OKCMallen
07-14-2011, 08:05 AM
(I haven't been except for a quick group meeting, but I bet Trattoria il Centro doesn't have hellnuggets running amok, and you usually don't see any at Deep Deuce Grill either.)