View Full Version : cox internet

sooner182
07-11-2011, 05:36 PM
I'm thinking about getting cox internet. For those of you who have internet only, are there additional taxes and fees on top of the monthly rate?

Snowman
07-11-2011, 07:13 PM
They are probably worked in to the base price and not in the list of itemized charges (which in my case is zero on top of the internet only service), in any case though my total billing amount matches the monthly advertised rate for my tier exactly.

I think the taxes come as a charge of use of easements for the city, then just percentages to state and federal on total revenue.

kawititnow
07-12-2011, 10:41 AM
My experience with Cox is that they give you the advertised price for 6 months to a year and then they start nickel and dime-ing you to death. Back when we had the "bundle" (HDTV/Internet/Phone) I was happy with my rate of $130 or so. 1 year later it was up to $140, so I started cutting back on some of the stuff we weren't using (i.e. TV packages). We got back down to $130, then a year later we were back to $140-$150. Finally, I just dropped Cox TV and home phone, and just kept the internet.

I kept a very detailed monthly log, because I wanted to know where every penny I sent them was going. They rates were somewhat consistent, but it's the fees that got out of control. There were anywhere from 5-10 different fees (not counting city, county and state tax).

All that aside, I'm very happy with Cox internet.

stick47
07-12-2011, 10:56 AM
All that aside, I'm very happy with Cox internet

$47.99 for just internet is way too high.

RealEstateCop1
07-12-2011, 11:01 AM
My wife and I switched from cox to ATT cable/interent and I really couldn't tell a big difference in the internet speed at all. I would watch your bill it seemed like every six months my bill would go up for some reason.

venture
07-12-2011, 11:41 AM
Have never had an issue with Cox on the internet side. Price has always stayed the seem, even when I went out of contract (I have a business account).

jn1780
07-12-2011, 02:21 PM
My wife and I switched from cox to ATT cable/interent and I really couldn't tell a big difference in the internet speed at all. I would watch your bill it seemed like every six months my bill would go up for some reason.

Most people don't notice the speed.

Larry OKC
07-13-2011, 10:02 PM
The rates can and probably will go up (but Cox is fairly upfront about the term of the discount boundling)...although I need to call them up and ask about their current commercial that says the discount is "permanent" or something like that. When I signed up it was $99/month (which was cheaper than Cable, SWB and dialup) but now $140/month.

Haven't had any service issues with any thing really since switching everything to Cox.

MartzMimic
07-14-2011, 06:08 AM
Most people don't notice the speed.

True. Unless you or your kids are streaming music and movies, online gaming or have multiple computers/devices sharing the connection, higher speeds become immaterial at a point. You just have to determine what you need and go with it. I've had Cox since moving back to OKC five years ago.

Their Internet service - and TV and phone, for that matter - have been very dependable. I could probably count the number of times they've been down on one hand with fingers left over. I have the midlevel internet service, and I notice that when they've boosted their premium speed, the middle tier has moved up too. I considered switching to AT&T Uverse a couple years ago, but by the time I added in the cable boxes and everything, the price difference was negligible.