View Full Version : Where is the best Torta sandwich in OKC?

jstaylor62
07-11-2011, 08:17 AM
I make my own Carne Asada Torta sandwich, but I want to sample some of the best in OKC so I can see where mine compares.

RadicalModerate
07-11-2011, 10:30 AM
I am confident, based only upon faith in your previous words connected with good food and the enjoyment thereof--without empirical evidence--that the version of the "Carne Asada Torta sandwich" that you personally create, at home, is nearly infinitely superior to any Torta that might possibly be encountered anywhere in the OKC Metro.

Please take that as a sincere compliment to your culinary skills rather than as some sort of snarky slur.
Cooking--and the appreciation thereof--can be one of the most sublime forms of sharing.

Having said that . . .

~If someone is able to name an actual restaurant capable of providing a "test site" please factor in the lack of having to do the shopping, the lack of a fuel bill and no need to cleanup into your tip (even if those costs are already factored into the price of what hits the plate).

~Drop "sandwich" from the description of the presentation as it is kind of redundant. At least in English.
A torta is what it is. (Eso lo que eso, as they say)

So . . . Just out of curiosity . . .
What is your recipe? Is the "carne" (asada) to which you refer beef or is it pork?

(Trivia: The phrase "chicken fajita" is sort of an oxymoron since "fajita" actually--and authentically--refers to a particular, relatively inexpensive cut of beef.)

tburn
07-11-2011, 11:33 AM
The best I've had is Tacos San Pedro on SW 44th

everything there is made fresh and the place is very clean.
FYI no beer!

I don't recommend the Torta at Abel's - mine was full of gristle

jstaylor62
07-11-2011, 01:05 PM
Rad, you have made a new Torta and Tectate sharing friend

I buy the bread and Bistek Marinado from La Michoacana on SW 29th

I grill the meat at a medium heat and slice it across the grain. I serve it on the bread with shredded Oaxaca cheese, thin slices of red onion, roma tomato, gaucamole and pico de gallo

snozberry
07-11-2011, 10:47 PM
Abel's at 50th & MacArthur does a tacos and tortas menu after 9 that is pretty fantastic.

eataroundokc.com
07-12-2011, 06:20 AM
I haven't had the torta (yet) but the meats I've had at Taqueria La Original are some of the best around and so I'd imagine their torta is worth looking into. They've got two locations now as well - NW 10th and Rockwell and Memorial Rd near Sante Fe.

http://www.eataroundokc.com/taqueria-la-original-a-taqueria-option-for-the-north-side/

jstaylor62
07-12-2011, 08:03 AM
I haven't had the torta (yet) but the meats I've had at Taqueria La Original are some of the best around and so I'd imagine their torta is worth looking into. They've got two locations now as well - NW 10th and Rockwell and Memorial Rd near Sante Fe.

http://www.eataroundokc.com/taqueria-la-original-a-taqueria-option-for-the-north-side/

I'm trying to read from your site, but I'm getting HTTP 500 Internal Server Errors:

http://www.eataroundokc.com/tamales-shady-restaurant-of-the-month/

eataroundokc.com
07-12-2011, 08:08 AM
I'm trying to read from your site, but I'm getting HTTP 500 Internal Server Errors:

http://www.eataroundokc.com/tamales-shady-restaurant-of-the-month/

Yeah we're having some database server issues this morning and page loads are spotty. Our data center is working on it. If you keep trying you should be able to get it to load, or try again later today. Sorry for the trouble.

kevinpate
07-12-2011, 08:12 AM
Yeah we're having some database server issues this morning and page loads are spotty. Our data center is working on it. If you keep trying you should be able to get it to load, or try again later today. Sorry for the trouble.

fwiw, working fine on my end. And, thanks for another great suggestion.

ultimatesooner
07-12-2011, 01:39 PM
abels and the place @ 10th and rockwell are both pretty good - Chalos on 50th & Rockwell had a really good one but I haven't been there in a couple of years

metro
07-12-2011, 09:57 PM
I had a great one in Capitol Hill just around the corner from Grill on The Hill, forget the name of the place. Also some of the taco trucks make decent tortas.

SatelliteHigh
07-15-2011, 05:01 PM
Los Comales.

Bigrayok
07-16-2011, 01:06 AM
There is a place on N.W. 19th and MacArthur called Tacquiera La Frontera that has good tacos, burritos, tortas, and even good french fries. It is open until 11:00 from Sunday-Thursday and 3:00 a.m. on Friday and Saturday. The people that work there are very nice and the place looks clean on the inside. I like to go there at about 11:00 p.m. on the weekends for a late dinner or snack. They have a latino video rental store connected to the restaurant. Good place.

Bigray in Ok

ctchandler
08-16-2011, 02:25 PM
I'm afraid I just had my first torta so I can't comment on the "best" torta sandwich, but it was excellent. I suppose I mean, it might not have been an excellent torta but it tasted excellent. I picked it up at Taqueria "La Original #2". It certainly won't be my last torta.
C. T.

ctchandler
08-16-2011, 03:44 PM
I meant to mention, I received French fries with my torta. In my few visits to Mexico, I don't remember French fries, are they served here just because we expect them with our sandwiches?
C. T.

XtraStout
08-18-2011, 01:33 PM
I think the best torta's in OKC are at Super Torta "El Chavo". The menu has something like 20+ tortas. Cash only and menus are available in english. It's located on sw 29th st just east of western on the north side of the street.

RadicalModerate
08-18-2011, 01:44 PM
I meant to mention, I received French fries with my torta. In my few visits to Mexico, I don't remember French fries, are they served here just because we expect them with our sandwiches?
C. T.

"Papas Fritas" (residual memory from 3rd grade Spanish c. 1960)

Ironically, in France, they are referred to as "Pommes de Tierre Americaine" . . . =)

EBAH
08-18-2011, 05:41 PM
If you want a great Torta go with the trucks all the way. Noteworthy Tortas in my life are, truck in front of quickstop on 17th and may (also has an incredible Tostada btw), truck in front of Whitakers on 10th and may, and truck at El Maiachi (Taco Sebilius?) on 16th and Drexel. Most of the trucks have far better and fresher Tortas than nearly any restaurant in town, not having a permanent location, they generally buy what they cook the same day. As for restaurant choices, I really like Taco Durango in the Southside and Taqueria La Original on Rockwell and 10th.