Restaurants

Current

no

Address: 317 NW 23rd
Phone: (405) 604-0922
Hours: Mon-Sat 4 pm - 2 am
Development:
Links:
Official Website (http://www.grandadsbar.com/)
Facebook Page (https://www.facebook.com/grandads.bar?fref=ts)
Yelp (http://www.yelp.com/biz/grandads-bar-oklahoma-city)

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/grandadswiki1.jpg

Information & Latest News
Gallery

Pete
07-07-2011, 05:26 PM
That's the old Design Resources space between the Beauty Supply and the wig shop!

This venture has had a Facebook page for quite a while:

http://www.facebook.com/people/Grandads-Bar/100001573863125?sk=wall

Ahh, Grandad’s place...those were the days, weren’t they? We all remember trips to the lake, afternoons spent in the garage or out on the tractor, sitting in the living room listening to Grandad and his buddies play dominoes and “chew the fat”...whatever your particular experience may have been, Grandad’s will be the place for you to come revel in that nostalgia.
Grandad’s will not be trendy, pretentious, exclusive or hip. There will not be a fancy martini menu or cocktails “infused with” or “having an essence of” anything. Grandad’s is a place to meet friends, make friends, have a drink and shoot the ****.

Easy180
07-07-2011, 05:55 PM
Sounds kinda like Cousin's

OklahomaNick
07-12-2011, 10:02 AM
Very interesting.. Maybe this will contribute to cleaning up that street more.

Steve
07-13-2011, 12:53 PM
23rd is definitely coming along

Pete
11-30-2011, 11:36 AM
Building permit today for Grandad's Bar at 317 NW 23rd:

http://www.facebook.com/grandads.bar?sk=wall

Pete
03-14-2012, 09:03 AM
Good progress being made at Grandad's Bar, 317 NW 23rd.

This is the space immediately west of Cee & Cee.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/grandads.jpg

http://www.oklahomacounty.org/assessor/Searches/sketches/picfile/2682/R046601030001sA.jpg

Pete
07-10-2012, 09:07 PM
I also wanted to mention that when I was last in town, I stopped and had a long chat with Greg Seal, the owner/operator of the soon-to-open Grandad's Bar, which is on the east end of 23rd on the north side of the street, not far from Tucker's.

The space is pretty much ready to go, just had to install a fire suppression system at the last minute. Could be open any time now.

It's going to be a really friendly, local place. The space is basic but features the original tin ceiling and an area in front for live music.

Stay tuned for an opening date announcement:

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/292202_380584635337329_1592706137_n.jpg

http://www.facebook.com/grandads.bar

betts
07-10-2012, 09:36 PM
I like the looks of the Grandad's space, but the need better furniture and some art.

Skyline
07-10-2012, 09:47 PM
I like the looks of the Grandad's space, but the need better furniture and some art.

Hey, what do you expect to see at Grandad's?,,, Now if it was Gandma's it would probably be furnished a little better. lol.

HangryHippo
07-11-2012, 08:39 AM

I agree, but perhaps the art is forthcoming... Or the patrons can contribute once things get rolling.

onthestrip
07-11-2012, 09:19 AM
Hate to say it but Im a little underwhelmed by the pic. Im sure they have a littel more work to do, best of luck to them.

Teo9969
07-11-2012, 10:51 AM
Assuming the picture is taken from the closest to the corner it can be taken, the only part about the space that disappoints me is that the bar isn't long enough. It needed to come to the closer-side of the black chair and push the furniture up against the window. As it stands, they look to have a presumably open space at the very forefront of the restaurant. I'm sure they'll fill it with something, but I think the "living room" would have been the most effective programming.

OSUPeterson
07-11-2012, 11:43 AM
Im pretty sure that there is a stage where the person took this picture from. I drove by 2 days ago and thought I saw a stage structure or something there in the front glass.

Pete
07-11-2012, 11:56 AM
Im pretty sure that there is a stage where the person took this picture from. I drove by 2 days ago and thought I saw a stage structure or something there in the front glass.

Yes, as I mentioned there is an area in the front for live music. There is a small stage there.

I give Greg credit... He's doing most the work himself and trying to create a relaxed, comfortable and friendly place.

Urbanized
07-11-2012, 02:15 PM
Some of that furniture might be questionable or at least high on the kitsch meter, but those side chairs are Eames. It's pretty hard to dog out Eames.

wschnitt
07-11-2012, 02:24 PM
I wonder how that furniture will hold up in a bar.

OSUPeterson
07-11-2012, 02:39 PM
I wonder how that furniture will hold up in a bar.

Probably would make for one hell of a bar fight. Those table legs look like they could do some damage...

Pete
08-08-2012, 05:20 PM
Nice article on Grandad's:

August 8th, 2012 - Kelley Chambers
Grandad's bar moving in to home on 23rd Street (http://okc.biz/oklahoma/article-6373-grandads-bar-moving-in-to-home-on-23rd-street.html)

http://www.okc.biz/oklahoma/imgs/media.images/1765/Grandads%20Greg%20Seal%20at%20Bar%20logo%20small%2 038mh.widea.jpg

Kenneth Seal and Harvey Parrish may be gone, but their grandson is opening a bar that would make the two proud.

Within the next month, Greg Seal plans to open Grandad’s in a 3,100-square-foot space at 317 N.W. 23rd. The décor includes antique furniture, corrugated metal walls from Parrish’s milk barn, and walls lined with photos and mementos of grandfathers now gone. Regular customers will be encouraged to contribute photos of their own granddads.

“I want people to be able to point to a picture and say, ‘This is my granddad, and here is his story,’” Greg Seal said. “I am opening Grandad’s as a tribute to my grandfathers who were just such an inspiration to me.”

Everything in the bar has a tale, from the house numbers on one wall to several motorcycles on display. Seal wants patrons to feel as if they have arrived as welcome guests in his grandfather's house.

“I’m trying to make this as authentic as possible,” he said.

After years working as a bartender, waiter and restaurant general manager, Seal decided to open his own place.

“This is my first ownership adventure,” he said.

Most of the beer served will be in cans, just like Granddad used to drink it. A full bar will offer cocktail options and the signature Lake Texoma tequila shot. On tap, Seal will feature Guinness and a selection of Oklahoma beers. Beers in cans will range from Coors Banquet Beer — the first beer Seal tasted with his grandfathers — to brews like Pabst Blue Ribbon, Schlitz and imports like Newcastle Brown Ale.

“There are a lot of really good beers you can get in cans,” he said.

After watching revitalization efforts on N.W. 23rd, Seal decided the time and place were right for him to set up shop. Across the street, Keith and Heather Paul opened Tucker’s Onion Burgers, and their flagship Cheever’s Café is less than a block away.

“I really wanted to be on 23rd Street,” he said. “We could sense the revitalization around here and wanted to be part of that.”

Plans call for the bar to be open Tuesdays through Sundays. Grandad’s will be non-smoking, and while the venue will not offer food, Seal hopes to work with food truck owners to pull up to the bar in the evenings to feed hungry patrons.

“That will take care of the food option, and I don’t have to put in a kitchen,” he said.

dankrutka
08-08-2012, 07:29 PM
Grandad’s will be non-smoking, and while the venue will not offer food, Seal hopes to work with food truck owners to pull up to the bar in the evenings....
“That will take care of the food option, and I don’t have to put in a kitchen,” he said.

I love this! It will be interesting to see how well this concept does. I think it has a chance to succeed because there aren't really any other options on 23rd. This street is really turning it around!

jrod
08-09-2012, 03:15 PM
I live two blocks from Grandad's.... My wife could see that being a problem. :)

Pete
08-09-2012, 03:25 PM
The guys at Grandad's have kept this very simple and relatively inexpensive.

I know they got a great deal on that space, which is actually way bigger than they needed. And they did most the work themselves, so they are going into this with low overhead. It's very basic and probably not to everyone's liking, but I tell it's going to be a very relaxed and friendly place and I'm sure they'll have a following.

And I think it's really smart to leave out the kitchen for now... What a massive expensive and whole other headache.

In addition to the food trucks they should strike an alliance with Tucker's, Big Truck Tacos, Pizza 23 and perhaps other restaurants in the area for easy carryout. Several bars in L.A. do this, where they provide the menus and facilitate the ordering. The restaurant will often times just run the food over for a small fee or for gratis just to build their dinner business.

dankrutka
10-12-2012, 10:21 AM
I just love that they're smoke free.

HangryHippo
10-12-2012, 10:32 AM
Provocative ad in the Gazette from Grandad's... What do you think?

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/302211_432653293463796_1445822725_n.jpg

Hilarious!

dankrutka
10-12-2012, 12:29 PM
Is it open yet?

soonerguru
10-12-2012, 10:44 PM
Great ad. Do people still read the Gazette?

betts
10-13-2012, 12:41 AM
I read it regularly. I have no idea if anyone else does.

CaptDave
10-13-2012, 08:59 AM

Yes - it is the "anti-DO". Often silly, but at times some good perspective you will not read in the Oklahoman.

Spartan
10-13-2012, 11:08 AM

Um, yeah?

bluedogok
10-13-2012, 01:26 PM
We usually pick one up when we are in town but then we tend to read newspapers. We subscribe to The Denver Post and pick up our free neighborhood local paper (Aurora Sentinel) and the weekly (Westword).

iMAX386
10-16-2012, 06:36 PM
That ad is effin' fantastic.

And man, the idea of Fassler Hall on 23rd sounds amazing.

Pete
10-16-2012, 08:14 PM
Grandad's just posted on FB they'll be open next Tuesday.

dankrutka
10-16-2012, 09:53 PM
I was just in front of Grandad's the other day and they had a really ugly sign that said, "Parking in back." I hope that's just temporary.

jrod
11-14-2012, 06:15 AM
My wife and I enjoyed an evening at Grandad's after a Thunder game a couple of Fridays ago. Really good time. Very fun mix of people. OCU kids, hipsters, Mesta/HH yuppies... sounds strange, but it actually worked. Two things... They need more seating, the space is LARGE and could accommodate more tables (a bunch of people had to stand). And, there is one tube TV from about 1996. I know the multiple TV/sports bar theme isn't what he's going for, but I'd love to go in there and watch a Thunder/OU away game. Right now, I wouldn't. Other than those two things, we had a great time and will certainly return. BEST part... NO SMOKE.

HangryHippo
11-14-2012, 09:35 AM
Agreed. Grandad's needs more tables. For the amount of space available, lots of people have to stand. And before someone rattles off about me being fat, lazy Oklahoman, it really boils down to me just wanting to be able to sit down and enjoy a beer with my friends.

Pete
11-14-2012, 09:37 AM
before someone rattles off about me being fat, lazy Oklahoman

That only applies if you aren't willing to walk somewhere. :)

It sounds like Grandad's is off to a good start and I'm sure they will be investing more now that they actually have some revenue coming in.

HangryHippo
11-14-2012, 09:43 AM
That only applies if you aren't willing to walk somewhere. :)

It sounds like Grandad's is off to a good start and I'm sure they will be investing more now that they actually have some revenue coming in.

haha, well, let me just state that we walked over. :)

Yep, the place is a lot of fun. Did you go when you were in town or was it open then?

Pete
11-14-2012, 09:54 AM
Grandad's was just opening when I was last in town but I didn't have a chance to stop by.

However, I did have a long visit with Greg (owner) at the space when I was there this past summer and everything was done except the stage and sprinkler system.

He told me it was actually way more space than they needed, but he loved the location and the landlord gave him a great deal. So, they were left scrambling trying to fill it up.

Spartan
11-14-2012, 10:17 AM
My wife and I enjoyed an evening at Grandad's after a Thunder game a couple of Fridays ago. Really good time. Very fun mix of people. OCU kids, hipsters, Mesta/HH yuppies... sounds strange, but it actually worked. Two things... They need more seating, the space is LARGE and could accommodate more tables (a bunch of people had to stand). And, there is one tube TV from about 1996. I know the multiple TV/sports bar theme isn't what he's going for, but I'd love to go in there and watch a Thunder/OU away game. Right now, I wouldn't. Other than those two things, we had a great time and will certainly return. BEST part... NO SMOKE.

Sounds like a similar place to Saint's

Urbanized
11-14-2012, 02:15 PM
The tube TVs are there as schtick. He'd probably have a console in there if he could have found a working one.

onthestrip
11-14-2012, 02:20 PM
Sounds like a similar place to Saint's

Even being super hipster, Saints at least has one big screen.

With a hometown pro team that has 82+ games a year on TV, I think its almost a must to have at least on big HD TV

Urbanized
11-14-2012, 02:42 PM
There are admittedly some hipsters hanging out there, but Grandad's is hardly hipster. It's actually just so far from being hipster that it is accidentally hip. It's just a laid-back, old-school neigborhood bar. Feels like it has been there 50 years and it's actually been open two weeks. I like it a lot.

Regarding the TV situation, I'm not troubled by it. This coming from a guy who has been to 41+ Thunder games every season since inception. Of course, maybe that's why I don't care too much about the TV situation LOL...

Pete
06-02-2015, 02:51 PM
Just posted on Twitter which has been a rumor for a while.. Greg Seal has passed on ownership to someone new.

Not sure who, but Greg had other partners.

Teo9969
06-02-2015, 03:10 PM
Not sure what's gonna have to happen for this place, but it has, ironically, not aged as well as you would like.

Uptown's slow progress has seemed to really hurt this bar. And the live music is too loud: Every time I've been I've always end up having to talk too loudly over the music.

It's going to need some retooling. It's not a bad bar…it's just doesn't seem to be very competitive.

sooner88
06-02-2015, 03:27 PM
Grandad's, an Uptown beer bar and music venue, to reopen with new focus | News OK (http://newsok.com/grandads-an-uptown-beer-bar-and-music-venue-to-reopen-with-new-focus/article/5424637)

Urbanized
06-02-2015, 03:58 PM
Ah man. Mixed feelings on this. I consider Greg a friend, but feel the same about Drew and Anna. Super-tough deal for Greg, as I know he put his heart and soul into it. All three of them are good people. Good luck to everyone involved.

Pete
06-02-2015, 04:23 PM
Yes, sad deal for Greg.

I first met him at Grandad's before they opened and while he was still doing most the work himself on the interior. I remember how hard he was working and how excited he was about everything.

Bars and restaurants are very tough businesses. Frankly, I'm a bit shocked there hasn't been more shakeout with the dozens and dozens of new openings and all the existing places.

Even in this case, looks like they'll retool and probably be better than ever. Hope so.

soonerguru
06-02-2015, 07:40 PM
I don't know any of the parties personally, and I liked Grandad's, but I have not gone as regularly as I otherwise would because it is simply too loud to carry on any kind of conversation there. That being said, there was solid live music there and I would hope they don't ixnay that too much.

I also think the lack of any kind of food drained the place of a ton of potential revenue.

The restaurant / bar business is tough, but three years seems like a pretty short run.

bchris02
06-02-2015, 08:37 PM
I feel bad for Greg and all the people this affected. However, so many new bars/restaurants are opening in OKC that there are bound to be winners and losers. Some of the places that are older but maybe not old enough to have a strong loyal customer base may have trouble amid increased competition. This is especially true for ABC-3 bars that have limited or no food offering.

bradh
06-02-2015, 08:41 PM
kinda bummed i never got to check it out, i love old school bars like this (why I wish I didn't smell like an ashtray at Wilshire Club...love that bar)

trousers
06-02-2015, 09:55 PM
I always liked the place, it just never had much of a crowd. I hit it a lot of times when the plaza places or the pump was too busy for my mood.

Teo9969
06-02-2015, 11:44 PM
I'd say the nature of Uptown probably doomed Grandad's as much as anything else. The length of time it is taking to come around is an issue for a bar: Guyute's and The Pump needed to come along about 18 months earlier to create some cohesion. The Rise has been a major problem for a variety of reasons.

Grandad's needed work, sure, but was more a victim of circumstance than ineptitude.

Mr. Cotter
06-03-2015, 07:31 AM
I only went a few times, the last of which was about 18 months ago. I really liked the look and feel, and the beer offering were decent. I quit going because of the music. I love a bar with good live music, but Grandad's isn't a venue, it's a concrete box. Bad acoustics and a loud band are a bad combination, especially if you want to talk with anyone.

I hope the new management is successful. It's a cool space.

JarrodH
06-03-2015, 07:52 AM
I've been very involved with this bar since day 1 as a patron, It was literally in my backyard. Greg and Jennifer are great people and created a fun, neighborhood bar. Running a bar is no easy task and statistically over 75% fail within the first 2-3 years in business.

Greg and Jennifer faced many hurdles over the past 2 years, with the major one already mentioned in this thread. Uptown has taken longer than expected to grow to its potential and sadly I think grandads was a little early. Yes, there were owner mistakes and mismanagement at times but that happens to the best of us.

With that being said, I also know Kyle Sweet as well as Anna and Drew pretty well and I have no doubt that they will bring new life to this space. Anna and Drew took over In The Raw while it was in shambles and have turned it into a profitable business in Bricktown, which is easier said than done. I would expect to see a cool twist on this concept and wish them nothing but the best. I hope to see uptown become the district we all know it can in the next few years with Guyetes, The Drake, and Tower Theatre all opening.

gopokes88
06-03-2015, 01:55 PM
I'm sure the owners are nice people but this bar was just a mess for a myriad of reasons.

Had a college bar feel, in a non college town. (Concrete floors, cheap beer, crappy seats and tables) Believe it or not, OKC is rapidly becoming a white collar town.
Not an especially great area for a bar, but until the rise of midtown, the bars in okc were scattered all over the place.
The rise of midtown hurt this place and hurt it bad. The crowd they used to pull started going to fassler/bleugarten/etc
It tried to be a music venue in bad acoustic room. Just became a roar of noise inside there.
The new wave of bars is hurting the old bars. Places like Speak, Edna's, and the fry are hurting as well. Although those three are getting hurt because ALL of the new bars are non-smoking, that pulls in girls which then pulls in guys. It's really nice not going home with my eyes burning from the cigarette smoke.

I do feel bad for them because it sucks when businesses fail.

Rover
06-03-2015, 02:29 PM
New local bars and restaurants are a high risk proposition. For every new cool one that lasts there will be multiple fail. It is just how the business is. That's why so many chains dominate...because the good ones have proven business systems, a proven product, and know who and where their market is.

Teo9969
06-03-2015, 04:14 PM
To be sure, bad acoustics can be addressed in 2015, so that's not really the issue. I hope the new concept continues to bring in musical acts, especially individual artists and duos (and not so much 5+ person bands). Especially once the Tower opens, that will be an important element for this area to continue its rise (and I really hope that The Pump looks into doing at least occasional outdoor sessions outside from March to October). Uptown clearly needs to be the place in OKC where you can go and walk around looking for the right combination of food/drink/live music. If you have Blue Note, Tower, Grandad's, Pump be relatively dependable and consistent with their bookings, then Uptown will have something to offer you can't really find elsewhere in OKC.

soonerguru
06-04-2015, 08:39 AM
I also thought Granddad's exterior signage / marketing is / was terrible. It doesn't seem like a good strategy for people to have to know where you are. Why not a cool, lit-up sign or neon? Their print ads in the Gazette were great, though.

Mike_M
06-04-2015, 09:48 AM
To be sure, bad acoustics can be addressed in 2015, so that's not really the issue.

This is true, but I feel like most owners just want the LIVE MUSIC! to be an easy, cheap gimmick to get more people in the door. I understand the thinking, however live music is it's own industry and requires some initial investment (good system, acoustic treatment, at least a part time engineer).

When I visit New Orleans or Minneapolis, I'm amazed to see every live music restaurant has like 4-6 house speakers with monitors and amps, but you can very easily have a conversation and enjoy your meal as well as the music. I've been to several places here with a garage band setup (2 speakers and amps) and left with splitting headaches from screaming at my friends all night. My wife and I actually tend to avoid places here that boast live music for that very fact. Which is really sad, considering how much of a music junkie I am.

Bullbear
10-07-2015, 01:48 PM
I may have missed the new thread somewhere but driving by the old Granddads you can see new lighting inside as well as new signage outside which is just an initial "R" If I remember correctly.. any other info?