View Full Version : Caylee's Law

SoonerQueen
07-07-2011, 01:21 AM
http://www.change.org/petitions/create-caylees-law

Please sign this petition to help Caylee's Law become a real law.

Thunder
07-07-2011, 01:48 AM
OVERVIEW

Caylee's Law, contact your Senator and Representative: there should be a new federal law created called Caylee's Law that will make it a federal offense for a parent or guardian to not notify law enforcement of a child going missing in a timely manner.
Let's keep another case like Caylee Anthony out of the courts.

That will be a good law. Just what kind of punishment? Most likely a misdemeanor. I'd suggest a max of one year per count.

Although, the name is misleading... She never was really missing when she died an accidental death. How about to also report a child's accidental death rather than just missing itself. That way mothers, fathers, and guardians should most likely report it without fear of wrongful accusations.

Jersey Boss
07-07-2011, 02:19 PM
No new laws without a like number of old laws stricken.

Midtowner
07-07-2011, 03:13 PM
I don't believe this would be remotely constitutional. What Constitutional authority exists for the federal government to do this? It's a fine idea for the states, but this isn't a federal issue.

Jersey Boss
07-07-2011, 03:56 PM
I don't believe this would be remotely constitutional. What Constitutional authority exists for the federal government to do this? It's a fine idea for the states, but this isn't a federal issue.

You are correct, however emotionalism rules the present.

bandnerd
07-07-2011, 05:09 PM

Isn't that the truth? I keep thinking to myself, "little dead white girl" syndrome...

SoonerQueen
07-07-2011, 05:18 PM
The petition is that it be a felony.

Midtowner
07-07-2011, 05:44 PM
The petition is that it be a felony.

And I can't see a constitutional basis for it. The federal government doesn't have the power to criminalize things like that.

bluedogok
07-07-2011, 06:56 PM
Most "named" laws are nothing but that...

Jethrol
07-10-2011, 01:47 PM
Why?

How often does this even happen?

Not very often and I don't think we need a new law at all.

The state failed to prove it's case beyond a reasonable doubt....no reason to pass a new law in my opinion.

venture
07-10-2011, 02:10 PM
Aren't there plenty of other laws on the books that would handle a case like this? Why keep making more and more laws when it can already be enforced with what is on the books. If need be, increase the penalties for the existing laws and move on.

OSUMom
07-10-2011, 10:20 PM
I agree that this should something determined by state. But, really shouldn't this sort of thing already be covered? I would peg someone who doesn't report a missing 2 year old as abuse/neglect. Which is why I don't understand why Casey got a Not Guilty for the child abuse charge.

Thunder
07-11-2011, 04:37 AM
I agree that this should something determined by state. But, really shouldn't this sort of thing already be covered? I would peg someone who doesn't report a missing 2 year old as abuse/neglect. Which is why I don't understand why Casey got a Not Guilty for the child abuse charge.

1. She was never missing.
2. Not reporting is not child abuse.

rcjunkie
07-11-2011, 04:51 AM
1. She was never missing.
2. Not reporting is not child abuse.

1. She was missing
2. But it is neglect