View Full Version : As a college FB fan, July is the WORST

earlywinegareth
07-06-2011, 09:45 AM
I suffer, physically and mentally, waiting for July to end. I do whatever I can to get by, buying the preseason mags and making my own predictions.

One thing that is hard to adjust to - the new B12 conference w/o NU and CU. So strange to read my Phil Steele mag and see those two in other conferences. NU is expected to tear up the B10 + 2.

Personally, I'm glad we don't have the north/south split or CCG anymore. I prefer playing everyone so there's a clear cut champion. Also the silliness of potentially playing the same foe twice in one year - that's gone. Fortunately for OU, that worked out most of the time (double victories over MU and CU come to mind).

The B12 w/o NU and CU is certainly a stronger basketball conference. I don't see a big dropoff in football since oSu is doing well at the moment and aTm is expected to be very good. Texas will be good but not a title contender.

Hurry up August!

Bostonfan
07-06-2011, 10:13 AM
As long as there are no true champions, decided on the field, in college football, the NFL is where it's at. Hoping the lockout ends within a week. The BCS and bowls all together ruin college football for me. Will watch OU and wish them well, but won't watch much more college football than that.

MikeLucky
07-06-2011, 10:30 AM
As long as there are no true champions, decided on the field, in college football, the NFL is where it's at. Hoping the lockout ends within a week. The BCS and bowls all together ruin college football for me. Will watch OU and wish them well, but won't watch much more college football than that.

The NFL is a generic commercialized POS compared to college football... I honestly don't even fathom how anyone could prefer it over the college experience...

Pete
07-06-2011, 10:35 AM
I feel the same way about the middle of the summer and always have. College football is one of the reasons that fall is my favorite season.

I've become a fan of English soccer so in even-numbered years you get either the World or European cups. But odd-numbered years are the absolute worst for me.

At least by August, practice starts and you can see light at the end of the tunnel!

Bostonfan
07-06-2011, 10:36 AM
The NFL is a generic commercialized POS compared to college football... I honestly don't even fathom how anyone could prefer it over the college experience...

LOL, well, we totally disagree here. I honestly can't fathom how anyone could prefer college football over NFL. NFL determines the winner on the field, college football determines theirs by computers. Funny how you said the word "commercialized". It's exactly how I would describe todays college football.

swilki
07-06-2011, 12:52 PM
Why can't someone love football in general? The passion, tradition and pageantry in the college game can't be found in the NFL, IMO. However, the production value of the NFL, the quality of players and, yes, the way in which in determines a champ is great. Please hurry up and end July so I can watch some OU football and start planning for my fantasy football drafts.

On a side note, who hates ESPN and wishes that Fox Sports or some other network would step up and try to give ESPN a run for their money?

MikeLucky
07-06-2011, 02:05 PM
LOL, well, we totally disagree here. I honestly can't fathom how anyone could prefer college football over NFL. NFL determines the winner on the field, college football determines theirs by computers. Funny how you said the word "commercialized". It's exactly how I would describe todays college football.

You don't GO to college football games do you? lol.

ck76
07-06-2011, 02:11 PM
American Football; The Greatest Sport in The World!!!!!!!

BDK
07-06-2011, 02:23 PM
I feel the same way about the middle of the summer and always have. College football is one of the reasons that fall is my favorite season.

I've become a fan of English soccer so in even-numbered years you get either the World or European cups. But odd-numbered years are the absolute worst for me.

At least by August, practice starts and you can see light at the end of the tunnel!

No love for the women's game, Pete? ;)

Pete
07-06-2011, 04:07 PM
No, don't really care much for women's footy.

But I love pro football as well. Lifelong Packers fan and a couple of years ago finally went to a game at Lambeau Field. If you like the college atmosphere, Green Bay is the place. I've been to several other pro games and nothing comes close.

Bostonfan
07-06-2011, 04:24 PM
You don't GO to college football games do you? lol.

Sure have. Go to maybe half of the OU home games and every other year to Dallas. Why do you ask? Do you really like how computers and ESPN/ABC dictate who wins the National Title in college football over the NFL playoffs?

rcjunkie
07-06-2011, 04:35 PM

I'm a huge football fan, but unlike you, the NFL is at the bottom of my list. Prefer, in this order High School, College, Little league, NFL. Lost passion for NFL when all the prima donnas started demanding ungodly contracts with outrages salaries, and most of them insist/demand that their contracts be restructured before the old one expires.

bluedogok
07-06-2011, 06:33 PM
Bostonfan - Did you grow up in Boston/New England?

Because there is one common thread that I have found through friends who grew up in the major pro sports markets, most just don't understand the allure of college sports, not just football. Years ago I was trying to explain it to a friend who grew up in NYC and moved to OKC in his late 20's, he was a die hard Yankees/Giants fan (we were still friends even after that) and didn't understand why college sports were so big in this part of the country. I told him that for the most part pro sports didn't exist west of St. Louis or south of the DC area until the Dodgers moved to LA, so for the southeast and west college sports took the place of the pro sports in all but he northeast quarter of the country. Much of it has been passed down through generations just like following the Red Sox or Yankees up there, people here grew up with college sports first because it was local and maybe listened to Cardinals baseball before television. For many pro sports just wasn't relevant because it didn't exist much here. The impact of cable television changed the dynamic for both levels of sports and helped pro sports reach a much wider audience than was previously there for them.

My family is both huge OU fans and pro football fans so I grew up watching both and going to OU games. I have NFL Sunday Ticket (and MLB Extra Innings for Red Sox games) and spend most fall Saturdays with a couple of TV going, I just like football, even the Australian Rules kind.

earlywinegareth
07-07-2011, 09:46 AM
I'll say this: NOTHING compares to a big-time college atmosphere between bitter rivals. The excitement, color, emotion, atmosphere...unrivaled.

ou48A
07-07-2011, 10:52 AM
I stopped watching virtually all Pro sports when it became much too fashionable to act like a thug.

You will never see a college team moving to different city or state or going out on strike / lock outs.

Most on campus venues top almost all professional venues often by a very wide margin. Most pro venues by comparison are very sterile.
In a small state like Oklahoma you are much more likely to have a personal connection to an athlete. This adds to the passion. There have been several football players who have played in the Super bowl but have describe their experience of playing in the OU Texas game as a bigger experience.

Jersey Boss
07-07-2011, 11:11 AM
Bostonfan - Did you grow up in Boston/New England?

Because there is one common thread that I have found through friends who grew up in the major pro sports markets, most just don't understand the allure of college sports, not just football. Years ago I was trying to explain it to a friend who grew up in NYC and moved to OKC in his late 20's, he was a die hard Yankees/Giants fan (we were still friends even after that) and didn't understand why college sports were so big in this part of the country. I told him that for the most part pro sports didn't exist west of St. Louis or south of the DC area until the Dodgers moved to LA, so for the southeast and west college sports took the place of the pro sports in all but he northeast quarter of the country. Much of it has been passed down through generations just like following the Red Sox or Yankees up there, people here grew up with college sports first because it was local and maybe listened to Cardinals baseball before television. For many pro sports just wasn't relevant because it didn't exist much here. The impact of cable television changed the dynamic for both levels of sports and helped pro sports reach a much wider audience than was previously there for them.

My family is both huge OU fans and pro football fans so I grew up watching both and going to OU games. I have NFL Sunday Ticket (and MLB Extra Innings for Red Sox games) and spend most fall Saturdays with a couple of TV going, I just like football, even the Australian Rules kind.

As someone who grew up in the greater NYC metro area, you are spot on with your comment.

Jersey Boss
07-07-2011, 11:16 AM
Sure have. Go to maybe half of the OU home games and every other year to Dallas. Why do you ask? Do you really like how computers and ESPN/ABC dictate who wins the National Title in college football over the NFL playoffs?

The only way that D1 football could crown a legitimate champ on the field would be for the NCAA to have the ability to schedule all the regular season games the same way the NFL does. The AFC/NFC does not schedule the competition which is what the conferences/ individual teams in D1 do. The concept of teams setting up their own schedule would have to be eliminated to insure like competion between all who make the play offs.

Bostonfan
07-07-2011, 10:24 PM
I know I'm in a minority here in Oklahoma, and I do understand why many here prefer college over NFL, but no one can argue the fact that the NFL determines the champ on the field, not ESPN/ABC and computers. I guess the thing I hate about college is lose one game and your chances of winning the title drop sharply. Lose 2 and it becomes pure luck to even get a chance to win it. Lose 3 and it's close to nill. It's like telling New England, hey, you lost 3 games during the season, no way you should play in the Super Bowl. It's so idiotic. (and yes, I understand there are many more college teams than NFL, but come on, there has to be a better way to determine the champ) Oh, and don't get me started with all the .com bowls. What a joke they are.

blangtang
07-08-2011, 12:50 AM
sounds like u are talking playoffs, and i'm in favor. the ones who oppose a playoff are the ones with guaranteed kickbacks, the big ones!

i do like getting older and watching the college players as they progress into the pros.

maybe someday down the line I'll get real old and watch the high school kids get into college and then into the pros. lol!

Pete
07-08-2011, 07:40 AM
I guess the thing I hate about college is lose one game and your chances of winning the title drop sharply.

This is exactly why I love it! Makes every game critically important.

I love the NFL but you can lose a bunch of games and still make the playoffs. You feel this at the games, as a loss is really no big deal.

MikeLucky
07-08-2011, 08:01 AM
I know I'm in a minority here in Oklahoma, and I do understand why many here prefer college over NFL, but no one can argue the fact that the NFL determines the champ on the field, not ESPN/ABC and computers. I guess the thing I hate about college is lose one game and your chances of winning the title drop sharply. Lose 2 and it becomes pure luck to even get a chance to win it. Lose 3 and it's close to nill. It's like telling New England, hey, you lost 3 games during the season, no way you should play in the Super Bowl. It's so idiotic. (and yes, I understand there are many more college teams than NFL, but come on, there has to be a better way to determine the champ) Oh, and don't get me started with all the .com bowls. What a joke they are.

You pretty much outlined the reason why I think the college game IS better than the NFL... the "playoffs" start in week 1. There's no weeks off... there's nobody playing for their bonuses... there's no resting players because their playoff seeding is already determined... EVERY game is the most important game of the year. In the NFL, they guys don't really care UNTIL the playoffs...

And people complain about all the bowls, but I promise you all the players from all the teams that get to travel to those bowls and have a week together as a team LOVE all those bowls.

One year I was driving to the Orange Bowl to watch OU and we stopped in a restaurant in the Pensacola Florida area... It was New Years Day and there were fans from 10 different schools in that restaurant. I had several conversations with fans from many different schools... some of them on their way TO bowls, some on their way HOME from bowls... but everybody had a story and they were all loving the bowl season. And that was just ONE restaurant...

There just isn't anything like that when it comes to the NFL. The NFL playoffs are something I watch AFTER all the bowls are over. And I will watch ANY bowl game... I don't care if it's East Popcorn State vs. Blind Nun University playing in Boise Idaho... all those kids are playing in the most important game of the year to them and they are enjoying a trip and experience together that is a "reward" for all the hard work they put in throughout the year on the field and in the classroom.

ou48A
07-08-2011, 08:21 AM
One year I was driving to the Orange Bowl to watch OU and we stopped in a restaurant in the Pensacola Florida area... It was New Years Day and there were fans from 10 different schools in that restaurant. I had several conversations with fans from many different schools... some of them on their way TO bowls, some on their way HOME from bowls... but everybody had a story and they were all loving the bowl season. And that was just ONE restaurant...

There just isn't anything like that when it comes to the NFL. The NFL playoffs are something I watch AFTER all the bowls are over. And I will watch ANY bowl game... I don't care if it's East Popcorn State vs. Blind Nun University playing in Boise Idaho... all those kids are playing in the most important game of the year to them and they are enjoying a trip and experience together that is a "reward" for all the hard work they put in throughout the year on the field and in the classroom.

Very good post.^
I have seen this type of thing too and it’s a lot of fun.
I have had some great conversations at major airports during bowl season.
There seems to be a bond among traveling college football fans that you don’t find anywhere else.
Just try wearing an OU hat in most any of the major airports of the world and you will get 90%+ positive reactions from more than a few folks.

Pete
07-08-2011, 09:41 AM
I will watch ANY bowl game... I don't care if it's East Popcorn State vs. Blind Nun University playing in Boise Idaho... all those kids are playing in the most important game of the year to them and they are enjoying a trip and experience together that is a "reward" for all the hard work they put in throughout the year on the field and in the classroom.

Agree 100%.

The older I get, the more I enjoy college sports and the less I enjoy the professional ones.

earlywinegareth
07-08-2011, 09:57 AM
Not to mention, it's acceptable to boo professional athletes. But to boo college students? That's messed up.

I've heard boos at Owen Field twice in my lifetime...and each time I saw fans get very angry at the ones who were doing it. Booing your own team at the collegiate level is like burning the flag - it's downright un-American. Texas fans booed their own team a lot last year.

ou48A
07-08-2011, 11:03 AM
Even though most of us don’t like this team very much this video shows us a side of the college experience that professional sports will never have

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jto2_cGakNk&feature=player_embedded

earlywinegareth
07-08-2011, 11:29 AM
UT's athletic budget is in the top 3 in the country along with Ohio State and someone else. OU is around 20th, yet OU finished in the top 10 Director's Cup this year - ahead of UT. Damn those lacrosse and water polo teams - oh wait..

http://thedirectorscup.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/finald1standings10-11-2.pdf

Edgar
07-10-2011, 09:36 AM
I've actually caught myself watching the women's world cup.Give it a try.

ljbab728
07-10-2011, 09:32 PM
I've actually caught myself watching the women's world cup.Give it a try.

No thanks. I caught the highlights in the sports reports. That showed the only things interesting and worth watching. Other than that. Boring!!!!!!

earlywinegareth
07-13-2011, 05:45 AM
I watched the women's soccer match vs Brazil last night and very unexpectedly witnessed one of the most dramatic comebacks I've ever seen in any sport. Literally the final minute of extra play, the US scored to force penalty kicks and ended up pulling out the W in a match when probably every single person in the stadium had decided the Americans were done.

Roadhawg
07-13-2011, 09:14 AM
This is what college football is all about... suggest you turn your volume down.

Husker Tunnel Walk (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmBaqi3t_nM)

ljbab728
07-13-2011, 10:22 PM
This is what college football is all about... suggest you turn your volume down.

Husker Tunnel Walk (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmBaqi3t_nM)

Thats very nice but not unusual. OU has for years had similar scoreboard intro presentations. I especially liked the one they used which started out from a vantage point in space and eventually focused on the tunnel where the team came out on the field.

Caboose
07-17-2011, 09:24 AM

I dont even know where to begin on how wrong you are. My first suspicion is that you in fact have no clear idea of why a champion is crowned to begin with. Once you figure that out you might come to your senses. The NFL's playoff system is probably the worst of all major sports in determining a champion "on the field" as you put it.

rcjunkie
07-18-2011, 04:27 AM
I dont even know where to begin on how wrong you are. My first suspicion is that you in fact have no clear idea of why a champion is crowned to begin with. Once you figure that out you might come to your senses. The NFL's playoff system is probably the worst of all major sports in determining a champion "on the field" as you put it.

I couldn't agree more, college football is about which team plays the best all season, NFL is about which team plays the best "that" game.
In the NFL you can finish under 500 and still have a chance to win it all, in college, if you finish under 500 you might quailfy for a second tier bowl.

Bostonfan
07-18-2011, 08:29 AM

You just can't post without being a prick can you? Go ahead and explain how the NFL is the worst at determining a champion when they have a playoff. Also, please give me a "clear idea" of how a college National Title is crowned to begin with.

Bostonfan
07-18-2011, 08:37 AM
I couldn't agree more, college football is about which team plays the best all season, NFL is about which team plays the best "that" game.
In the NFL you can finish under 500 and still have a chance to win it all, in college, if you finish under 500 you might quailfy for a second tier bowl.

Really? I guess high school sports, college basketball (March Madness) , college baseball, DII college football, MLB have it all wrong. WOW

rcjunkie
07-18-2011, 01:41 PM
Really? I guess high school sports, college basketball (March Madness) , college baseball, DII college football, MLB have it all wrong. WOW

Maybe if you included a double WOW your response would have more merit.

MikeLucky
07-18-2011, 01:44 PM

Well MLB and NBA have a better system than the NFL with the group of 7 game series... but, otherwise I'd still take college football over all of them. College football is NEVER about who is hot, or who is playing better at the end of the year, or who makes the best moves by the trading deadline, or who has less injuries... it's about the team that plays the best from game 1 until the end. Period.

Is it a perfect system? No... but it's still better than pretty much anything else out there, in my opinion.

Bostonfan
07-18-2011, 02:51 PM
Maybe if you included a double WOW your response would have more merit.

sorry, just have NEVER heard anyone seriously say that not having a playoff is the best way in determining a champ.

Bostonfan
07-18-2011, 03:01 PM
Well MLB and NBA have a better system than the NFL with the group of 7 game series... but, otherwise I'd still take college football over all of them. College football is NEVER about who is hot, or who is playing better at the end of the year, or who makes the best moves by the trading deadline, or who has less injuries... it's about the team that plays the best from game 1 until the end. Period.

Is it a perfect system? No... but it's still better than pretty much anything else out there, in my opinion.

Actually it's about luck, and wheter or not the talking heads at ESPN/ABC love your team or not. Then the computers come in to play. It really is stupid when you actually think about it and take your emotions out of it.

Look, it is clear you love college football over NFL, and I take NFL over college football, but like I told RC, I've never heard of anyone saying not having a playoff is better in determining a champ.........NEVER.

dmoor82
07-18-2011, 04:13 PM
I have been Gillette,Jerry World,Meadowlands,Arrowhead to watch many NFL games and I have also been to over 50 OU football games and seen many other college fb games in other venues.Without a doubt The College experience is just flat out better and louder!I'll take my 85-100k roaring crowds with 100+ year traditions and fight songs and chants!

SoonerDave
07-18-2011, 08:24 PM

Precisely as it should be. Your statement above is probably the single best endorsement for a real college playoff I've seen. That you would try to argue that the NFL playoffs are just about "that" team shows you don't even have a receipt to prove you tried to even buy a clue. College football is championship by anointment.

SoonerDave
07-18-2011, 08:26 PM
Okay, if you guys like to talk/debate/discuss college football, feel free to take a visit to my "football-only" blog - trying to include good information and content, and welcome constructive comment, even if we disagree :)

Join in at http://endzonereview.blogspot.com

-David

SoonerDave
07-18-2011, 08:35 PM

Wichita, have you been standing too close to the exhaust? You simply couldn't be more wrong. Unfortunately, your contention is frustratingly easy to disprove - CFB is about the hottest team, and if it weren't, neither Florida nor OU would have been in the 2008 title game. OU went in with the video-game offense and went on the late season run, making voters forget about the Texas loss. Florida's loss was infinitely worse than Texas' loss that year, but Florida got in because they were the "sexy" choice in the media. Look at 2004, when OU, USC, and Auburn all finished unbeaten. What unequivocally made Auburn the third wheel? That they *didn't* play "best from game 1, period?" They got left out, and they had every reason to gripe.

Listen, I say this all as a Sooner fan, knowing they were the beneficiary of both my examples. But it continues to prove the point. College football's postseason is a diarrhea of second-rate teams stuffing idiotic bowl games that absolutely nobody cares about, with the championship anointed by a popularity contest. The time has long since passed for a playoff.

To that end, no sport, NONE, escapes the consequence of who has fewer injuries, who plays the right players, etc.

As I mentioned in another post, college ball is championship by anointment. Bring on the playoffs *now*, and let's have a real champion.

Bostonfan
07-20-2011, 07:36 AM
Nice posts soonerdave.... I must admit. I'm shocked how many people around here don't want a playoff system.

bluedogok
07-20-2011, 06:19 PM
I like the bowl games, most are somewhat interesting and it is still a whole lot better than most of what is on TV but I am not against a playoff being instituted as well.....I just like my football either way.

gen70
07-20-2011, 07:00 PM
Go sooners.....boomer sooner !!!!