View Full Version : Loosing the battle

Sooner&RiceGrad
03-28-2005, 05:22 PM
We are loosing trhe battle. What battle you may ask? Well. I read the recent article on Bentonville in the recent issue of the Sunday Oklahoman, and what they are doing there is simply amazing.

The world's largest corporation, a mountain of stereotypes, a community that came together. You do the math. We need to grow companies that ARE here, and attract more. We need to lay forth MORE, MORE, MORE capital to invest in our community, and then we will reap the real benefits, and the real growth.

Did you know that by 2030, Bentonville- The Other City MSA will have doubled it pop. to 700,000? We need to develop some sort of boom. And we need to find a way to make it last. We need a new boom. Aside from oil, and energy which we already have on our side.

What I would suggest: Invest billions into OU and Oklahoma City University. Start there. Urbanize Midtown and Downtown, and Bricktown. And most of all, get greedy with the soon-to-be hydrogen industry. That is where the BIG BUCKS are. There are vast resources of hydrogen out in Western Oklahoma.

We have to develop ourselves as a center, before Texas gets the opportunity to nab that from us as well.

Patrick
03-28-2005, 07:29 PM
I think it's a little unfair to compare our city to Bentonville. They have the benefit of having the nation's largest retail corporation headquartered there. I'd say that was "luck" on their part! Who would've ever known a mom and pop retailer would've grown into the giant it is today?

I do think we can learn from their lesson though. Instead of hopnig that other corporations locate here, we need to focus on growing our own local corporations. Sonic is a great example. With the product and service Sonic offers, I can fully see Sonic surpassing McDonalds some day. We as a city need to encourage that.

Patrick
03-28-2005, 07:31 PM
We need to develop some sort of boom.

I like this statement. This is so true, and what we really need to take off as a city! I think the biotech industry might be our ticket. We were pretty fortunate to have Cytovance locate in our growing Research Park. If they succeed there and grow, we might be able to attract other major pharmaceutical and research companies to our research park.

We also need to focus on growing our own companies. OMRF has grown by leaps and bounds over the past few years. We need to continue to support this company, and other start up biotech companies at the Research Park!

The Research Park offers high paying, high tech science research jobs, exactly what we need in our city.

Patrick
03-28-2005, 07:33 PM
What I would suggest: Invest billions into OU and Oklahoma City University. Start there. Urbanize Midtown and Downtown, and Bricktown. And most of all, get greedy with the soon-to-be hydrogen industry. That is where the BIG BUCKS are. There are vast resources of hydrogen out in Western Oklahoma.

We have to develop ourselves as a center, before Texas gets the opportunity to nab that from us as well.

SoonerGrad, I think you're on the right track, most definitely! I think as a city we need to diversify, leave our oil past behind, and look towards the future. Let others call us cheerleaders if they wish, but we need to focus on the future and maintain an optimism that will carry us through the next decade!

Karried
03-28-2005, 07:40 PM
"Did you know that by 2030, Bentonville- The Other City MSA will have doubled it pop. to 700,000?"

Oh no, can you imagine the Traffic? Smog? Congestion? Lines in the stores, theatres and banks?

Of course I want to see a boom here but let's not get carried away :-)

mranderson
03-28-2005, 07:40 PM
Yes. Bio Tech and other medical is a way to go.

Imagine, if you will, a cancer research medical center for adults that equals St. Judes. They are funded by donation, never turn anyone away, and make such major strides in cancer research that Oklahoma City is the leader in cancer research and care. I would not use the name St. Judes out of respect for Danny Thomas, although St. Jude is the saint of hopeless causes. This medical center, located in far southwest Oklahoma City, would have a major benefactor to the calibur of the late Danny Thomas, and would grow from an acorn into a mighty Oak.

I occasionally dream about what I would do if I had a billion dollars to just give away. The medical center above is that dream. I would lovingly name it after my late grandmother. Hall Memorial Cancer research medical center.

In addition. Why have the Shriners passed Oklahoma City by in locating a hospital here? The kids who need the help who have parents that for whatever reason can not pay need a closer place to go.
These two facilities alone would add a lot of high paying jobs to our economy, and spark growth in other areas.

However. We need help in other areas too.

Sooner&RiceGrad
03-28-2005, 09:17 PM
Tech is risky. Look where Tulsa wound up by jumping on this bandwangon.