View Full Version : Hugo Chavez

ljbab728
07-02-2011, 01:17 AM
This is something that is of great importance to the US that hasn't been discussed here due to the amount of oil we import. While you hate to think that someone's critical medical issues would be of benefit to us, this is. It would certainly give an opportunity for reasonable reforms in Venezuela if he weren't there. While he is certainly popular in some segments of the population in Venezuela, it is far from universal and his policies would be changed after he is gone.

http://news.yahoo.com/chavez-allies-insist-hes-still-running-venezuela-010405513.html

Easy180
07-02-2011, 05:45 AM
Will be just another excuse to drive up oil prices

metro
07-02-2011, 07:48 AM
Unless one of his crazier cronies gets into power

Jim Kyle
07-02-2011, 11:31 AM
While he is certainly popular in some segments of the population in Venezuela, it is far from universal and his policies would be changed after he is gone.I've been active in another on-line community for more than 25 years, and one of its members is a middle-class Venezuelan who has often given his opinion of Chavez and the political situation there. According to JuanCarlo, Chavez' support by the people is a reaction to the ogliarchy that ruled the country before, and that support goes quite deep.

Any attempt to remove him from power, or even encourage such action, will likely be counter-productive, according to what my friend reports. If we truly believe in self-government, we have to keep our hands off of Latin America's local politics, and to tolerate anti-USA sentiments with good grace. After all, we've meddled in their affairs far too often in the past, and an impartial observer might even conclude that their resentment is well founded!

USG'60
07-02-2011, 01:54 PM
I'll go with your friend's assessment of the facts and your suggestion of our proper role there. Thanks, Jim.

ljbab728
07-02-2011, 10:29 PM
I've been active in another on-line community for more than 25 years, and one of its members is a middle-class Venezuelan who has often given his opinion of Chavez and the political situation there. According to JuanCarlo, Chavez' support by the people is a reaction to the ogliarchy that ruled the country before, and that support goes quite deep.

Any attempt to remove him from power, or even encourage such action, will likely be counter-productive, according to what my friend reports. If we truly believe in self-government, we have to keep our hands off of Latin America's local politics, and to tolerate anti-USA sentiments with good grace. After all, we've meddled in their affairs far too often in the past, and an impartial observer might even conclude that their resentment is well founded!

I wasn't suggesting that the US would want to get involved in trying to cause change. It's just obvious that if someone with as much all emcompassing power as he has was suddenly gone, changes are bound to happen. There are very strong anti-Chavez segments in Venezuela that could come more to the forefront.