View Full Version : Wheeze the Juice (formerly Native Roots)

Pages : [1] 2 3

mcca7596
06-29-2011, 09:58 PM
Native Roots Market to open in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce (http://www.newsok.com/native-roots-market-to-open-in-oklahoma-citys-deep-deuce/article/3581463)

metro
06-29-2011, 10:06 PM
Awesome! Several years ago they sad they were interested in the next few years, glad to see it come to fruition.

SkyWestOKC
06-29-2011, 10:06 PM
Very good win for downtown, and deep deuce in particular. I agree with one of the comments that it might have a narrow customer base. Not everyone is in to the natural food type stuff, despite it being better for you. This might spark some more ideas and proposals to get another niche grocery downtown.

Martin
06-29-2011, 10:07 PM
i love native roots... very, very cool! -M

metro
06-29-2011, 10:13 PM
Very good win for downtown, and deep deuce in particular. I agree with one of the comments that it might have a narrow customer base. Not everyone is in to the natural food type stuff, despite it being better for you. This might spark some more ideas and proposals to get another niche grocery downtown.

Disagree, the urban crowd is more this niche than any other market segment

SkyWestOKC
06-29-2011, 10:21 PM
You still have a market that is not being covered. Don't know about Native Roots, never been there, but can you buy name brands there? Cheerios, Coca-Cola, etc. Not everyone is going to eat everything from this store 3 squares a day 365 times in a year. Trips will still need to be made out of downtown for those products, which is what I mean, narrow (niche) market. I have no doubt it will have success, because you are correct, the urban crowd does support these types of stores. But they don't buy everything they use from them (maybe a handful do).

Until you can live day to day without ever having to leave downtown, you will have an auto-centric population. Don't get me wrong, this is fantastic news for downtown. The article also mentions a small deli section, this will be good!

metro
06-29-2011, 10:24 PM
I shop at Native Roots and I live in Midtown. They have plenty of name brands and local brands, but you wnt find coca cola as it is more an Organic grocer, not a junk food store like Walmart, more like a local Whole Foods. They also have a nice bulk section.

Pete
06-29-2011, 10:30 PM
This is fantastic news!

It also means OKC will finally have it's first fully realized urban district.

Hope it's just the first of many.

SkyWestOKC
06-29-2011, 10:31 PM
Fair enough.

SkyWestOKC
06-29-2011, 10:33 PM
Hopefully this will spark some retail across the street on the NW corner of NE 2 and Oklahoma. I drove by the other day and just noticed that empty retail space on the ground floor of those townhomes.

rcjunkie
06-30-2011, 04:10 AM
My daughter shops at Native Roots at least once a week, I wasn't that impressed, but to each his own. IMO, very overpriced. Local, home grown organic tomatoes $4.50 a pound, can be bought at the Norman Farmers market for $2.00 a pound. (same vendor/supplier)

BDK
06-30-2011, 06:30 AM
Whatever your personal feelings about the grocer, this is very good for deep deuce and downtown.

lasomeday
06-30-2011, 07:26 AM
Its a perfect fit! The people living in that area are their target audience. They will do great there. I think this will definitely spur more development in the area and sales too! Level 3 is also moving very quickly! I think it could open early!

Pete
06-30-2011, 07:42 AM
I bet betts is happy!

This area truly will now have it all:

Great skyline views
Lots of housing options from rental to purchase and a good range amongst those
Hotel: Aloft
Grocery: Native Roots
Restaurants: The Wedge, Deep Deuce Grill, Sage, two new places at the Aloft plus a coffee shop, more likely at Level
Bars: Deep Deuce Grill, WXYZ at Aloft
Future retail: Maywood Lofts, Aloft and Level
Recreation: walk to great new downtown Y; easy access to Oklahoma River, Myriad Gardens and new Central Park
Work: easy walk to all of downtown; health sciences center within a mile
Art & Entertainment: easy walk to Bricktown movie theater, bars, restaurants, clubs, Bricktown Ballpark, Red Pin bowling, OKC Arena, library, museums
Transportation: easy access to I-235, I-35 and I-40; Amtrak short walk, streetcar will be nearby

All this plus another firm housing development (Ron Bradshaw) and still more development that you know will follow.

Steve
06-30-2011, 07:53 AM
Pete, you nailed it. And there's more housing yet to come into Deep Deuce/Maywood that has yet to be announced.... Remember how the crash of 2008 froze up development downtown? At the moment, that appears to be history.

Just the facts
06-30-2011, 08:16 AM
I bet betts is happy!

This area truly will now have it all:

Great skyline views
Lots of housing options from rental to purchase and a good range amongst those
Hotel: Aloft
Grocery: Native Roots
Restaurants: The Wedge, Deep Deuce Grill, Sage, two new places at the Aloft plus a coffee shop, more likely at Level
Bars: Deep Deuce Grill, WXYZ at Aloft
Future retail: Maywood Lofts, Aloft and Level
Recreation: walk to great new downtown Y; easy access to Oklahoma River, Myriad Gardens and new Central Park
Work: easy walk to all of downtown; health sciences center within a mile
Art & Entertainment: easy walk to Bricktown movie theater, bars, restaurants, clubs, Bricktown Ballpark, Red Pin bowling, OKC Arena, library, museums
Transportation: easy access to I-235, I-35 and I-40; Amtrak short walk, streetcar will be nearby

All this plus another firm housing development (Ron Bradshaw) and still more development that you know will follow.

Now they just need to run a streetcar through there.

Steve
06-30-2011, 08:18 AM
Jeff?

lasomeday
06-30-2011, 08:23 AM
Sid, you might check with Level3 on their facebook page, I think you can reserve an apartment there. I talked to Richard about it and he made it sound like they are ready to reserve apartments.

dankrutka
06-30-2011, 03:42 PM
Great progress for Deep Deuce. The area could use another bar in the near future...

Pete
06-30-2011, 03:48 PM
The two-level WXYZ bar at the Aloft is going to be quite large with a patio. The decor and execution will be unlike anything else in town.

And you can bet that others will follow. There are plenty of good spots for them.

http://www.yapclub.com/portals/2/VenueImages/main/2999.jpg

betts
06-30-2011, 07:32 PM
I'm happy! Currently dining at the Deep Deuce Grill. I love my neighborhood.

Tier2City
07-01-2011, 06:34 AM
Now they just need to run a streetcar through there.

http://www.letstalktransit.com/Websites/letstalktransit/Images/Documents/AA/2011_May/OKC%20Circulator%20LPA%20Draft-6-1-11.pdf

Just the facts
07-01-2011, 06:52 AM
http://www.letstalktransit.com/Websites/letstalktransit/Images/Documents/AA/2011_May/OKC%20Circulator%20LPA%20Draft-6-1-11.pdf

You know, every time I see these proposed routes for the streetcar I just get more discouraged and depressed. It has gotten to the point that I try not to think about it.

They should have produced a comprehensive plan first and then broke that up into phases. I assume at some point in the future the line meandering through the Medical Complex is going to be extended to the Capitol - so why make it meander through the Medical Complex? Just run it down Lincoln and encourage the people at the health center to do all their future expansion closer to Lincoln.

On a plus note - I see they abandoned the couplet idea on the HSC line - now they just need to do that on the other line.

Steve
07-01-2011, 08:10 AM
Guys, Jeff Bezdek and Mark Gibson have some good comments on this question on my Deep Deuce blog post today at www.okccentral.com

Urban Pioneer
07-01-2011, 12:26 PM
Jeff?

Sorry. Yes. I took a break from blogging yesterday and missed the streetcar questions. lol The discussion about this went to Steve's forum.

On the grocery store note, I had heard from reliable sources that Forward Foods was courted too and was considering a move downtown due to Whole Foods.

Not saying Native Roots isn't a good choice. It may be a better choice due to the diversity. I just wonder if their still going to move somewhere.

Doug Loudenback
07-01-2011, 01:55 PM
I asked my wife (who works at OU) if she'd been to the Native Roots shop in Norman. She had. I don't know how thoroughly she looked everything over, but she did say that prices struck her as being unreasonably high. She didn't remark about the quality of the offerings, e.g., produce, meats. Still, I remain optimistic about this development.

Martin
07-01-2011, 02:06 PM
i went to both native roots and forward foods about three weeks ago and noticed that some of the same items were $2-$3 cheaper at native roots. just sayin' -M

betts
07-01-2011, 03:33 PM
I asked my wife (who works at OU) if she'd been to the Native Roots shop in Norman. She had. I don't know how thoroughly she looked everything over, but she did say that prices struck her as being unreasonably high. She didn't remark about the quality of the offerings, e.g., produce, meats. Still, I remain optimistic about this development.

People will usually pay a little extra for convenience and quality. I suspect it will be very popular with people within walking distance. I suppose drive-up customers will reuire items not readily available elsewhere.

Doug Loudenback
07-01-2011, 03:38 PM
i went to both native roots and forward foods about three weeks ago and noticed that some of the same items were $2-$3 cheaper at native roots. just sayin' -M
Good to hear.

leonidas
07-11-2011, 11:25 AM
NATIVE ROOTS MARKET TO OPEN IN DEEP DEUCE
Native Roots, a Norman market, is expanding to downtown OKC. The location itself, the future Level Urban Apartments, is still under construction. The corner spot at NE 2 and Walnut was reserved for such a grocery by developer Richard McKown from the moment the project was announced last year.

Native Roots feels like an old-fashioned neighborhood grocery — the sort still found in New York City and Chicago. The store also will include a small deli section not included in the Norman store. Read the full NewsOK article.

Steve
07-13-2011, 01:04 PM
So what's the consensus - is Deep Deuce better off with a Native Roots or would Forward Foods have been better?

lasomeday
07-13-2011, 01:07 PM
I think they both would have been successful. I personally like Forward Foods better, but that is just because I love cheese. FF has a huge cheese selection, but Native Roots has a better produce selection.

Urbanized
07-15-2011, 10:35 AM
Mmm...cheese...

Urbanized
07-15-2011, 12:25 PM
Now I can't stop thinking about cheese. Thanks, OKCTalk.

Spartan
07-17-2011, 04:14 AM
So what's the consensus - is Deep Deuce better off with a Native Roots or would Forward Foods have been better?

Well I don't think this is a done deal, because Native Roots came out of nowhere. Forward Foods and Crescent Market were being too slow and hesitant to make the jump downtown, and Native Roots just seized the opportunity while the time was right. These other grocers might shy off now, but now I think it depends how much these stores get cannibalized by Whole Foods. I think Crescent Market is much more likely to move now because of who they pay rent to, but eventually, I think one will move and the other will stay. It will be interesting to watch.

Just like Jeff, I too heard that FF was really close to sealing the deal. I'm curious why they backed off.

ljbab728
07-17-2011, 11:29 PM
Well I don't think this is a done deal, because Native Roots came out of nowhere. Forward Foods and Crescent Market were being too slow and hesitant to make the jump downtown, and Native Roots just seized the opportunity while the time was right. These other grocers might shy off now, but now I think it depends how much these stores get cannibalized by Whole Foods. I think Crescent Market is much more likely to move now because of who they pay rent to, but eventually, I think one will move and the other will stay. It will be interesting to watch.

Just like Jeff, I too heard that FF was really close to sealing the deal. I'm curious why they backed off.

What is it that you think is not a done deal? As for cannibalization by Whole Foods, I don't think that is a big concern for someone wanting to tap into the downtown market. I think those living in the downtown area are much more likely to shop there when possible than drive several miles to Whole Foods unless there is something that just isn't available. Whole Foods is not a destination for those looking for the basic weekly shopping.

no1cub17
03-01-2014, 08:23 AM
I swear there was another thread about native roots - can't find it so I thought I'd revive this one. I hope they're doing well. Went several times for lunch this week and they seemed to be a lot busier than before. Lots of activity at lunchtime - even had to wait a bit so they could make my sandwich! I love this place and can't wait for them to expand their options (read: coffee!). Pretty awesome that they sell their homemade Indian food so quickly. With Mosaic, Maywood, and aloft (finally) opening, they should continue to do better and better.

catch22
03-01-2014, 03:32 PM
I swear there was another thread about native roots - can't find it so I thought I'd revive this one. I hope they're doing well. Went several times for lunch this week and they seemed to be a lot busier than before. Lots of activity at lunchtime - even had to wait a bit so they could make my sandwich! I love this place and can't wait for them to expand their options (read: coffee!). Pretty awesome that they sell their homemade Indian food so quickly. With Mosaic, Maywood, and aloft (finally) opening, they should continue to do better and better.

Glad to hear business is picking up for them. I hope they can continue to weather this initial period of lagging sales due to the neighborhood not being fully built out.

Pete
03-01-2014, 04:21 PM
Yes, things are only going to go up -- and probably way up -- from here.

The delays at Aloft and all that disruptive construction was like their own private Project 180.

But the amount of people living and staying in the immediate neighborhood is getting ready to go up dramatically, plus they'll benefit from the added traffic from Urban Johnnie, OKSea and the bars and restaurants at Aloft.

AP
03-01-2014, 04:32 PM
I've started to really like Native Roots. I just sucks that it's not very practical for regular use. It's just too expensive and I'm not super into organic food.

no1cub17
03-01-2014, 05:50 PM
I've started to really like Native Roots. I just sucks that it's not very practical for regular use. It's just too expensive and I'm not super into organic food.

I've found their prices competitive on most things. Some stuff (like talenti gelato) is actually cheaper than at whole foods. Plus think about how much time and money you save by not driving...

GoThunder
03-01-2014, 08:17 PM
We like to go there for staples and local items. I was in there about a week ago and was told they are getting ready to get bread deliveries 3 times a week from Prairie Thunder bakery.

ljbab728
03-01-2014, 10:47 PM
Some stuff (like talenti gelato) is actually cheaper than at whole foods. Plus think about how much time and money you save by not driving...

That may be true but it's not an everyday item for most people (me, since I've never bought any). :)

Chadanth
03-02-2014, 12:04 AM
They're great for produce and their dry goods. I REALLY wish they had more standard offerings for staples like trash bags and aluminum foil. Theirs is some sort of environmentally friendly variety that in the end, sucks. Everything else is great and I go there as much as I can

betts
03-05-2014, 09:57 AM
And even though organic is expensive, you're not only protecting your health, but you're helping stop the pressure on farmers to use pesticides and herbicides, to give their animals steroids and antibiotics. If people refuse to buy regular fruits and vegetables and meats, the market will figure that out.

ljbab728
03-05-2014, 09:52 PM
And even though organic is expensive, you're not only protecting your health, but you're helping stop the pressure on farmers to use pesticides and herbicides, to give their animals steroids and antibiotics. If people refuse to buy regular fruits and vegetables and meats, the market will figure that out.

Betts, my opinion is that if people want to spend more money for organic foods, it's fine with me but it is mostly a feel good exercise. Most recent studies I have seen agree with this.

Is Organic Really Better? - Scientific American (http://www.scientificamerican.com/podcast/episode/is-organic-really-better-09-05-28/)

But is it really better for you and the planet?

According to the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations: yes, at least as far as pesticide residues and energy use goes. Quote: "Organic agriculture already uses less fossil fuel based on inputs and has a better carbon footprint than standard agricultural practices," the FAO said in a 2007 report (link is to a PDF.)

But it doesn't seem that organic food is any more nutritious.

betts
03-05-2014, 10:26 PM
No, no more nutritious, I agree. But I know that antibiotics in meat cause problems with bacterial resistance and herbicides and pesticides in some quantity are not good for you. Some of them may be killing the bees, which could be a big problem. So why exposé yourself if you don't have to?

ljbab728
03-05-2014, 11:05 PM
No, no more nutritious, I agree. But I know that antibiotics in meat cause problems with bacterial resistance and herbicides and pesticides in some quantity are not good for you. Some of them may be killing the bees, which could be a big problem. So why exposé yourself if you don't have to?

In my opinion the risk is so minimal it's just not worth the extra expense. As I said, I won't fault those want that but it's just not something that interests me in the least. I could also live on an isolated island in the Pacific to avoid many potential pollution problems too, but I'm not going to.

soonerguru
03-05-2014, 11:24 PM
In my opinion the risk is so minimal it's just not worth the extra expense. As I said, I won't fault those want that but it's just not something that interests me in the least. I could also live on an isolated island in the Pacific to avoid many potential pollution problems too, but I'm not going to.

Well a lot of folks in OKC would be really, really happy to have a selection like what Native Roots offers within walking distance.

ljbab728
03-05-2014, 11:56 PM
Well a lot of folks in OKC would be really, really happy to have a selection like what Native Roots offers within walking distance.

I agree but that has nothing to do with my points.

Urbanized
03-06-2014, 03:59 AM
I'm hardly the poster child for organic food consumption, but have discovered a few things by accident shopping at Native Roots:

Organic milk tastes better and stays good for weeks. I mostly only use it for coffee and can usually not kill a half-gallon of supermarket milk before its date, but organic milk is usually good for nearly a month. I've also read up a bit on the overmilking, hormones and antibiotics in most factory milk and don't like AT ALL what I've read. *shudder* Sorry, I'm weird about milk.
Likewise, bananas taste better and last longer. I can rarely make it through a bunch of supermarket bananas, but those from NR stay fresh much longer.
The beef i get there has fantastic flavor. Especially love the filets from Wichita Buffalo Co.
The selection of local/Oklahoma goods is excellent, and I really enjoy trying/using Oklahoma products.

AP
03-06-2014, 07:28 AM

Yeah, I agree. It's cool for some stuff, but it's not at all practical to use for regular groceries. And to say the time and money saved by not traveling to 18th and Classen is a tradeoff is a bit of a joke.

Chadanth
03-06-2014, 10:02 AM
I'll argue against this point until the cows come home. Native Roots was our primary grocery store while we lived in Deep Deuce. It worked perfect for that. Everything tastes great. Fantastic service. I can't imagine living in Deep Deuce and shopping elsewhere.

I use it for maybe half of my grocery shopping. I'd like to do more there, but I can't get some of the things I like there. Still, if most of the neighbor hood used them for half of their groceries, they'd be killing it.

BillyOcean
03-08-2014, 08:23 AM
I'll argue against this point until the cows come home. Native Roots was our primary grocery store while we lived in Deep Deuce. It worked perfect for that. Everything tastes great. Fantastic service. I can't imagine living in Deep Deuce and shopping elsewhere.

But you didn't have a car. Their selection is not large enough for most households not to complement their groceriy needs at another more encompassing store. Now if you have to walk miles or catch the bus, essentially adding a huge hassle to your efforts, I can see why you would make due with what they have.

AP
03-08-2014, 10:12 AM
Their selection is not large enough for most households not to complement their groceriy needs at another more encompassing store.

I agree. I'm pretty sure the Carless in OKC people use TimeCar to go to Sprouts for groceries. If Native Roots was sufficient, I doubt they would do that. I've had a tough time convincing my girlfriend,who lives in midtown, to buy anything here. Selection is too small and she can get similar items for significantly cheaper, in her opinion. If all organic everything is what you like, great. Perfect store for you. But it doesn't work for a large percentage of people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

betts
03-08-2014, 11:36 AM
My point about antibiotics in meat is not about personal risk. It's about collective risk. Sweden dramatically dropped the incidence of MRSA infections in their country by refusing to allow feed animals to be given antibiotics and by educating their populace about antibiotic overuse for viral infections like colds and sore throats. Read "The Killers Within" if you're interested.

no1cub17
03-17-2014, 09:30 AM
I agree. I'm pretty sure the Carless in OKC people use TimeCar to go to Sprouts for groceries. If Native Roots was sufficient, I doubt they would do that. I've had a tough time convincing my girlfriend,who lives in midtown, to buy anything here. Selection is too small and she can get similar items for significantly cheaper, in her opinion. If all organic everything is what you like, great. Perfect store for you. But it doesn't work for a large percentage of people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True, if you're driving to NR, you might as well drive to a full service store which has everything under the sun - but to dismiss NR as inadequate is probably not giving them a chance. I'll also admit that my default place to go is Whole Foods, not NR (especially if I'm craving some pizza) - but it's pretty impressive just how much NR carries and usually has in stock when you want it. I'm definitely going to try to switch as much grocery shopping I can to NR. The extra cost is more than made up for by not having to drive.

benjenn
03-17-2014, 10:58 AM
One of the best things I like about Native Roots is their customer service. They told us to make a list of anything we typically buy that they don't stock and they'll try their best to get it for us. Never had an offer like that from another grocer. One time I went looking for ground chipotle powder I needed for a recipe. Doug told me he didn't have any but he would be happy to grind a couple for me, which he did. I try to make Native Roots my first grocery stop so I can buy what they have that I need before going anywhere else. I don't do all my grocery shopping there but it's great to get what I can so close to home.

DaveSkater
04-25-2014, 03:34 PM
I shop there 3 or 4 times a week.
Lomah milk is the best milk on the planet (unless you are lucky enough to get raw) Pricey but definitely worth it. We are milk snobs. lol
Their salads are delish! The Mediterranean and Walnut are my picks. The quinoa is awesome and their Hummus's are out of this world.
I like eating locally grown, organic products and will pay extra for the privileged.
Their custom salts are really cool too.

The customer service is also the very best of any grocer I've ever encountered.

betts
04-25-2014, 07:38 PM
Their milk stays fresh longer than milk from the supermarket. And they carry the kind of bread I like. I'm delighted to have them there.