View Full Version : Summer Olympics 2024 - Oklahoma City

Pages : 1 [2]

TStheThird
07-31-2006, 06:29 PM
Torino was the winter games? Go figure...

Luke
07-31-2006, 09:51 PM
Torino was winter olympics - 1/10 the number of vistors, athletes, and media. Now if you want to discuss Oklahoma's chances of getting the Winter Olympics...

Yeah, I have an idea for that down the road too.

Visit http://www.oresorts.com and then click on "Ouachita Lodge and Ski Resort."

Talk about a dreamer...

;)

Midtowner
07-31-2006, 10:11 PM
I agree with Kerry, talk of this at this point is silly.

ETL
07-31-2006, 10:12 PM
Wait, that is in Oklahoma?

Luke
07-31-2006, 10:19 PM
Wait, that is in Oklahoma?

Heh heh, someday hopefully.

It's an idea that's been rattlin' around in my brain for several years now. I've created a web site as if it's real. However, the "business plan" link at the top of the page sort of outlines what can be done to get started on it.

ETL
07-31-2006, 10:20 PM
Oh, good joke! Well I do hope it happens!

jbrown84
07-31-2006, 11:11 PM
That's a good website Luke. It looks so real. My dad and I have joked about the idea of a ski area in the Ouachitas. It would require a lot of snowmaking!

Luke
07-31-2006, 11:18 PM
That's a good website Luke. It looks so real. My dad and I have joked about the idea of a ski area in the Ouachitas. It would require a lot of snowmaking!

If Alabama and Georgia can do it, so can we!

jbrown84
08-01-2006, 12:48 PM
There are ski areas in Alabama and Georgia?

jdsplaypin
08-01-2006, 01:31 PM
& tennessee

Luke
08-01-2006, 02:48 PM
Alabama has a ski area called Cloudmont Ski and Golf Resort (www.cloudmont.com) and Georgia has one called Sky Valley Resort (www.skyvalleynews.com). There is one in Tennessee called Ober Gatlinburg Ski Resort http://www.obergatlinburg.com/

Yes, warmer climates can have ski resorts.

ETL
08-01-2006, 09:18 PM
I have been to the Ober Gatlinburg. It was pretty neat and there is an amusement park at the top, but the can get up to 12’ feet of snow at the top of the Smokies. That place is TOO COOL. It is an awesome place to visit! Who would invest in the Oklahoma Resort? If I had millions to spare, I would do it. Maybe Bill Gates? lol

Luke
08-01-2006, 09:57 PM
I have been to the Ober Gatlinburg. It was pretty neat and there is an amusement park at the top, but the can get up to 12’ feet of snow at the top of the Smokies. That place is TOO COOL. It is an awesome place to visit! Who would invest in the Oklahoma Resort? If I had millions to spare, I would do it. Maybe Bill Gates? lol

Hey, if someone can build a the world's most recognized theme park on swamp land (Disney World) and the world's top entertainment destination in the middle of a desert (Las Vegas) then a ski resort can be built in Oklahoma.

:)

TStheThird
08-01-2006, 10:02 PM
touche

Shake2005
08-02-2006, 06:59 AM
The Tahlihina Drive area would make for great skiing, if the snow could be created.

Luke
08-02-2006, 08:39 AM
The Tahlihina Drive area would make for great skiing, if the snow could be created.

That's where this ski resort would be.

ETL
08-02-2006, 09:53 AM
Do ya'll have money for this? I don't! So how do you get the rich interested?

Luke
08-02-2006, 11:24 AM
How do you get the rich interested in anything? If they can invest their money and make more in the long run, then it will be worth their while. It's convincing them to do that that is the challenge. I would imagine that this idea would strike a chord wealthy visionaries.

jbrown84
08-02-2006, 11:38 AM
This Cloudmont doesn't seem to amount to much. The difference with Gatlinburg is that it is much higher AND further north than SE Oklahoma. We certainly have bigger slopes than Alabama, but snowmaking would be very expensive on this scale and the warmer temps by February would melt it all. It's possible but might not be profitable.

Luke
08-02-2006, 11:46 AM
This Cloudmont doesn't seem to amount to much. The difference with Gatlinburg is that it is much higher AND further north than SE Oklahoma. We certainly have bigger slopes than Alabama, but snowmaking would be very expensive on this scale and the warmer temps by February would melt it all. It's possible but might not be profitable.

That's why it's a year-round resort. Skiing, snowboarding and sledding in the winter; hiking, biking and golfing the rest of the year. Of course, my idea would be for the resort itself to be a destination with a few restaurants, some shops and a ski lift to the top of the mountain for the view.

However, you'd be surprised what they can do with snow making and grooming equipment. The idea is that when the temperature and humidity get to a certain point (usually in the middle of the night in the winter time), then the snow making equipment fires up and blankets the slopes with snow. By morning, you have several inches of fresh snow that can be groomed. Over the course of weeks through the season, a snow base builds up that won't melt easily, even through the warm spells during the winter.

Since these slopes in SE Oklahoma are comparable in length, angle and height to most ski resorts back east and even a few in Colorado, this would be a great draw for the millions who live within a 5 hour radius of the ski resort.

jbrown84
08-02-2006, 11:48 AM
Yeah I know how snowmaking works, but most ski areas just use it to provide a little "padding" when snowfall is low. Here, it would have to be 99% snowmaking.

Luke
08-02-2006, 11:52 AM
MOUNTAIN STATISTICS @ Gatlinburg vs. SE Oklahoma

Base Elevation (valley): 2,700 ft vs. 700 ft
Summit Elevation: 3,300 ft vs. 2,500 ft
Vertical Drop: 600 ft vs. 1,800 ft
Annual Snowfall: 50 in vs. 6 in
Longest Run: 5,000 ft vs. 5,000 ft
Snowmaking: 100 % vs. 100 %

ETL
08-02-2006, 01:29 PM
Why would Gatlinburg have to make 100% of the snow?

Luke
08-02-2006, 03:53 PM
I believe that means they have the capabilities to blanket 100% of their slopes in snow. I assume this is so they can open ALL their slopes up no matter how little snow they get. This is as opposed to those ski resorts that don't have snow making equipment on all their slopes which would mean that if they have a down year for snow, they are limited to the slopes that DO have the snow making equipment and not as many people can ski.

ETL
08-02-2006, 04:21 PM
Oh!

jbrown84
08-02-2006, 10:01 PM
Snowmaking equipment is portable. I'm not positive but pretty sure that that means that less than one percent of their snow is natural, which would make sense if they only get 50 inches a year. Those stats make me less skeptical. That's a whole lot more vertical drop than Gatlinburg, which is a key thing.

Cloudmont has only a 150 ft. drop, which is basically a joke to anyone who's skied in the Rockies. They have 90% snowmaking and a 1700 ft summit elevation.

Monarch in Colorado has an 1100 ft vertical drop and an almost 12,000 ft. summit, although it's one of the highest. The summit is on the Continental Divide.

jbrown84
08-02-2006, 10:37 PM
It could be done but it would have to be on a northwest facing slope and unlike ski areas in the Rockies, all rocks and obstacles would have to be removed from the runs and it would have to be smoothed out almost like a golf course because you're not going to have 4 or 5 feet of snow to cover it all up. I think if it were a real year-round destination it could do well. That area already has a big influx of tourists from the Dallas area. Texans are building vacation cabins in the Beavers Bend area like crazy.

The Ouachitas in winter:
http://www.talimenascenicdrive.com/images/winter_wonderland.jpg

Luke
08-02-2006, 11:47 PM
I've looked at Rich Mountain for a north facing slope. It has the angle, the height and the length needed for a good slope.

OUman
08-03-2006, 10:08 AM
Keep in mind that we are much more prone to ice storms than snowfall, that doesn't bode well when it comes to having peace of mind for outdoor Winter Olympics events like snowboarding, skiing, etc. Just a thought.

OUman

jbrown84
08-07-2006, 12:48 PM
We were discussing the Summer Olympics, we just kind of got off topic on the idea of a ski area in OK.