View Full Version : so sad in this day and age

Roadhawg
06-29-2011, 08:19 AM
SAPULPA — The FBI has been called in to help investigate the burning of a cross outside a black church in Creek County.

A motorist who saw the cross on the front lawn of St. John's Baptist Church late Thursday reported it to the Sheriff's Office on Friday. A deputy who responded to the scene found a partially burned cross leaning against a chain-link fence.

Investigators also found partially burned rags, a piece of burned plastic and other debris.

Sheriff's Lt. Charles Redfern says at least two people have been questioned about the burning, but he didn't identify them.

Redfern also said the church previously had been vandalized when its kitchen was broken into and vandals threw flour and sugar around the room.

Church officials haven't commented on the incident.

PennyQuilts
06-29-2011, 08:28 AM
There have always been jerks but far fewer are interested in this king of malarky in this day and age than in years past. This is so forbidden by nearly all of us that I suspect it is an idiot kid trying to stir things up by being bad rather than a political comment made by someone who is actually capable of organized thought. Shame on who ever did this. I feel bad for the church members. This is a crappy thing to do because it just upsets people to entertain some idiot.

jmarkross
06-29-2011, 08:47 AM
I think today that these events are usually the prank of teenagers who wish to be outrageous...and not much more.

PennyQuilts
06-29-2011, 08:51 AM
I think today that these events are usually the prank of teenagers who wish to be outrageous...and not much more.

What I was trying to say only said better.

HewenttoJared
06-29-2011, 09:39 AM
Yep, nothing like that happens for real anymore, must be a prank.

http://adaeveningnews.com/local/x212618231/Ku-Klux-Klan-continues-unauthorized-activity

Spend some time in small town gas stations, PQ. You'll be shocked what people are still saying. Though it is mostly the older folks, at least.

PennyQuilts
06-29-2011, 09:43 AM
Yep, nothing like that happens for real anymore, must be a prank.

http://adaeveningnews.com/local/x212618231/Ku-Klux-Klan-continues-unauthorized-activity

Spend some time in small town gas stations, PQ. You'll be shocked what people are still saying. Though it is mostly the older folks, at least.

Oh please. What people say and burning crosses at churches is a pretty big leap. And old people aren't going to be burning a church, regardless. First of all, they have too much respect for it. Second, come dark they are sleeping.

BDK
06-29-2011, 10:09 AM

I hope you're correct in that assessment. A sad occurrence, indeed.

HewenttoJared
06-29-2011, 10:11 AM
Oh please. What people say and burning crosses at churches is a pretty big leap. And old people aren't going to be burning a church, regardless. First of all, they have too much respect for it. Second, come dark they are sleeping.

I didn't say old people did it, and nobody burned a church. And did you read the article? The KKK is still kicking in this state.

PennyQuilts
06-29-2011, 10:59 AM
I didn't say old people did it, and nobody burned a church. And did you read the article? The KKK is still kicking in this state.

Yeah, there has been a run on bed sheets - they can hardly keep them in stock.
Give me a break.

jmarkross
06-29-2011, 11:46 AM
I hope you're correct in that assessment. A sad occurrence, indeed.

I am.

It is not how malevolent people would manifest their ideas.

HewenttoJared
06-29-2011, 12:32 PM
Yeah, there has been a run on bed sheets - they can hardly keep them in stock.
Give me a break.

Wouldn't want you to hate work too hard, so I looked for you.
http://www.nowpublic.com/world/obama-win-fuels-ku-klux-klan-membership

Roadhawg
06-29-2011, 12:38 PM
http://www.splcenter.org/get-informed/hate-map#s=OK Oklahoma hate groups

jmarkross
06-29-2011, 12:55 PM
Wouldn't want you to hate work too hard, so I looked for you.
http://www.nowpublic.com/world/obama-win-fuels-ku-klux-klan-membership

Can you provide information on the New Black Panthers as well?

jmarkross
06-29-2011, 12:58 PM
http://www.splcenter.org/get-informed/hate-map#s=OK Oklahoma hate groups

Check the map for the blue state hate groups...oh my, my, my

Roadhawg
06-29-2011, 01:04 PM
Check the map for the blue state hate groups...oh my, my, my

I'm sure there are lot up there as well but we were talking about Oklahoma.

Questor
06-29-2011, 07:48 PM
This whole thread is speculation.

PennyQuilts
06-30-2011, 08:20 AM
Three stupid kids, one was an 18 year old. Not a rampaging KKK on the loose and, in fact, they just don't see things like this and the church members aren't freaked out over it. One member was puzzled why they'd do something like this. The kids said they were bored. According to the ones interviewed, they hadn't had a cross burning in 20 years. In a funny bit of irony given the title of this thread, the article contained this quote: “In this day and era, it just doesn't happen.”

http://newsok.com/fbi-launches-hate-crime-inquiry-in-sapulpa-cross-burning/article/3581427?custom_click=lead_story_title

The FBI launches hate crime inquiry in Sapulpa cross burning
The Creek County sheriff's office and the FBI are investigating a cross burning at a black church in Sapulpa.
BY MATT PATTERSON AND MATT DINGER Oklahoman Published: June 30, 2011

SAPULPA — Three young men confessed to burning a cross outside a black church last week, claiming they did it out of boredom, but the FBI is now investigating the case as a possible hate crime.

The FBI launches hate crime inquiry in Sapulpa cross burning “That's the way we're deeming the crime. A hate crime with an arson charge attached to it,” Creek County sheriff's Lt. Charles Redfern said.

A member called the Creek County sheriff's office Friday and said she saw a wooden cross on fire in front of St. John Baptist Church on Thursday. The church was not damaged.

Authorities have questioned two teens and an 18-year-old man. There have been no arrests, but they are fully cooperating with the investigation, Redfern said.

They said they were bored and that it would be something fun to do, Redfern said.

“It's unacceptable, and of course, it definitely won't be tolerated, but just the reasoning behind it, we couldn't imagine because we don't see a lot of that,” he said.Church treasurer Cormelia Booker said she never thought she would see a cross burning at her church.

“I thought that kind of act was gone forever,” she said.

Cross had clues

FBI agents went to the scene Monday, Redfern said. It has not been determined whether state or federal charges will be filed. Redfern said the incident could be classified as a hate crime under federal law.

“It's hard to say what kind of charges there will be,” Redfern said. “If it were all adults involved, I think it would probably be federal, but since there are juveniles involved, it's less clear.”

Redfern said the 18-year-old confessed to being a part of the burning, and investigators are still interviewing the juveniles. He said that process has taken longer because one of the juveniles left town after the incident but has since returned. He said the adult's name will not be released until the investigation is complete.

The cross itself helped investigators track down those responsible.

“A lot of it had to do with the type of wood the cross was made out of. It was unique, so basically we tried to find that same kind of wood, which we did. We found the same type of wood in some woodpiles that they had piled up from where a trailer had burned. Once we had found the other parts of the wood to make it a whole piece, that told us our suspects are definitely in the area, or at least visited the area,” Redfern said.

The charred trailer was in a mobile home park across the street from the church. From there, investigators went door-to-door until they found a lead that led them to the responsible parties, he said.

Booker said church members aren't frightened by the cross-burning.

Booker said she is pleased the incident has been taken so seriously by authorities.

“I wonder why they did it, but we're glad they are looking into it as well as they are,” Booker said. “I pray the Lord will forgive them.”

In his 20 years of law enforcement experience, this is the first case of cross burning that Redfern has encountered.“In this day and era, it just doesn't happen,” he said.

emphasis added.
Read more: http://newsok.com/the-fbi-launches-hate-crime-inquiry-in-sapulpa-cross-burning/article/3581427#ixzz1QlicHdE0

Roadhawg
06-30-2011, 08:25 AM
Thanks for the update... glad it wasn't racially motivated. I bet those kids will think of something different to do the next time they get bored. They are still in trouble though.

jmarkross
06-30-2011, 09:06 AM
What a surprise...maybe next time they will attack in mobs at retail establishments...

earlywinegareth
06-30-2011, 09:25 AM
Summer + bored adolescents = trouble. I'm on the board of our homeowner's association and we always see an increase in small crimes after school lets out, especially stuff taken from people's garages and unlocked cars.

Roadhawg
06-30-2011, 09:25 AM
What a surprise...maybe next time they will attack in mobs at retail establishments...

huh?

jstaylor62
06-30-2011, 10:17 AM
Come on! These kids admitted to being stupid and bored not racists with an agenda! And now the FBI is going to waste my money performing an investigation for hate crimes? These kids only crime is stupidity. Make stupidity against the law and Congress will be empty.

Achilleslastand
06-30-2011, 10:30 AM
Everything is a hate crime these days.......If this a was a black on white crime not a word would be peeped about it.
Nothing to see here folks just some stupid kids doing stupid things.

FRISKY
06-30-2011, 10:36 AM
How big was this "made from burned trailer scrap wood" cross?

OKCTalker
06-30-2011, 11:30 AM
What counts for "news" these days is typically the acts of ignorant people making poor choices, either consciously (this story) or because they don't know any better.