View Full Version : Othello's on campus Corner Closing

JimTrabersColostomyBag
06-28-2011, 12:57 PM
Long story but they're closing today.

http://normantranscript.com/new/x143829439/Othello-s-owners-announce-closure

Pete
06-28-2011, 01:00 PM
Wow! They've been there for decades and will be missed.

Jersey Boss
06-28-2011, 01:11 PM
Long story but they're closing today.

Where can we get the particulars?

Thx. for the link.

kevinpate
06-28-2011, 01:16 PM
If Patsy ever went back to resurrect it back to what it once was, but couldn't, that would sadden me. I don't think that's the case.
I can't recall the last time I went back. May have been as long ago as 02, and that was simply to pass the time over a soda until closer to our reservation time elsewhere.

Soonerus
06-28-2011, 08:56 PM
See Norman Transcript tomorrow...

BDK
06-28-2011, 09:26 PM
Total bummer, especially since I had a show scheduled there on Thursday.

SoonerQueen
06-28-2011, 09:31 PM
Othello's closes its doors for good

Carmen Forman/The Daily

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Othello's on Campus Corner bears a closed sign Tuesday, June 28, 2011. The restaurant closed Monday due to unknown reasons. (Carmen Forman/The Daily)

Dark rooms, equipment movers and closed signs marked the end of a Norman business Monday that offered entertainment and drinks for 38 years.

Jennifer Moran, owner of Othello’s on Campus Corner, said she would not comment on the closing of the restaurant until Thursday for legal reasons. However, Charlie Rayl, the person in charge of booking shows at the restaurant, confirmed Othello’s closure.

“The rumors are true — the owners made the decision yesterday,” Rayl said.

While the reason for the restaurant's closure is still unknown, Othello’s had financial trouble in January, according to a story by The Journal Record. A Cleveland County judge ordered management to vacate the property because they owed about $10,000 in past-due rent.

Mitchell Rozin, Othello’s landowners attorney, said the Morgan family — Othello’s owners — had been keeping up with their rent payments. Rozin said the closure was a surprise to him.

Alyssa Grimley contributed to this story

JimTrabersColostomyBag
06-29-2011, 12:18 PM
Where can we get the particulars?

Thx. for the link.

http://normantranscript.com/headlines/x1317142962/After-four-years-current-owners-close-Othello-s

SoonerBeerMan
06-29-2011, 01:05 PM
The following is an email from a friend in Norman that supposedly is friends with the most recent owners...

Now Othello’s has closed.

> Subject: Othello's - Sad News

> Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 13:29:18 -0500

>

>

> Dear Friends and Customers,

>

> It is with great regret that we announce the closing of Othello's on historic Campus Corner, effective today. Since taking the reins of this Norman landmark in August, 2007, we have invested a significant portion of our lives into making Othello's what we always knew it could -- and should -- be. Regardless, if it was enduring extended restaurant closures due to inclement weather, or wrestling with the economic downturn of recent years, our focus has always been on our guests -- many who we regard as close, personal friends.

>

> From the beginning, it was our desire to gain complete control of the property at 434 Buchanan Street and own the restaurant's physical location as well as the business operating within. Beginning with our purchase of the business nearly four years ago, and continuing until today, we sought an ethical and financially prudent path to this goal. Unfortunately, in 2008, we were named in a lawsuit against the former owners of Othello's, which stemmed from an unpaid lien on the property that went undisclosed to us at our time of purchase. We joined the lawsuit as a plaintiff to protect our investment and life's dream of being successful, independent, local, business owners. Since then we have endured significant legal fees that have made it difficult to maintain our high levels of service and quality, while remaining profitable. Sadly, we were forced to make the heart-breaking decision to close the doors.

>

> While we always worked hard to ensure that the food and service at Othello's was top-notch, we realize that for so many people -- ourselves included -- Othello's was about more than just food. Life at Othello's brought us so many new and wonderful friends. We celebrated special occasions together; reveled in the experience of OU football game days spent on The Corner, supported each other in times of need and, more often than not, spent regular weekday nights eating a slice of pizza or enjoying a glass of wine. We will miss the laughter of a group of good friends dining on the patio, the energy of the children playing in the yard, the wonderful live music, the opportunity to host wine dinners, and catering for brides on their special days. We thank all of our guests not only for their business, but also for bringing a unique blend of personalities and passions to Othello's, making it a place where everyone felt at home.

>

> In addition to thanking our wonderful guests, we also wish to extend our sincerest thanks and appreciation to the wonderful Othello's staff. It seemed like every graduation season saw another vital staff member heading off into the world, but we've been blessed to have so many longtime employees at Othello's. Consummate professionals, these skilled and talented servers, bartenders and cooks took great pride in establishing relationships with their regular guests, learning things like their favorite cocktails and how they liked their steaks cooked. This attention to detail and hard work has been at the heart of the success of Othello's. For their tireless efforts and devotion to the business, we are eternally grateful.

>

> At this time, we do not know what the future will bring to us. Sometimes, doors need to close before a new one -- an even better one -- can open. But rest assured, we look forward to seeing and serving all of you again in the near future.

>

> Sincerely,

> The Morgan Family

> JW

PhiAlpha
07-07-2011, 01:20 AM
The owners from the Edmond Othellos are taking it over. I assume it will be open again by football season.

badfish77
07-28-2011, 11:40 AM
I saw on craigslist they are now hiring all new staff so I suppose they will be opening soon.

badfish77
08-01-2011, 01:10 PM
talked to someone today that said Aug. 14 open date

Monkeypony
12-11-2012, 10:19 PM
i visited Othellos once ( when they were in front of Ross) where the new Cajun Kitchen is. I found the food to be just awful! Either they lost their chef or the 'B' team was there that evening. The Spaghetti tasted like it had sugar in it. ugh. the bread was stale. and the salad was soggy, it was gross, i brought this to the mgrs attention and the chef came out to my table and bitched me out ( how dare i complain)?! I told him i predicted they would be closed in 3 months. ( they closed in 1 month later). Once again, the smart business person is the one that listens to their customers. in my opinion, they deserved to close. This would be great for a Gordon Ramsey intervention!!!

ShiroiHikari
12-12-2012, 06:21 PM
My experience at that Othello's location was awful as well. I never went to the original location on Campus Corner. Did it ever reopen?

BoulderSooner
12-13-2012, 07:04 AM
yes othellos is back open and is very good (for the cost) just like the edmond location

this is a much better ownership .. than the former norman owners ..

positano
12-30-2012, 08:24 AM
May be better ownership, but the food is really subpar. The last time I was there the place was filthy. That carpet and furnishings look like they haven't been updated since Patsy had the place.

jedicurt
12-31-2012, 09:49 AM
May be better ownership, but the food is really subpar. The last time I was there the place was filthy. That carpet and furnishings look like they haven't been updated since Patsy had the place.

the food at the Othello's on Campus Corner has been subpar as long as i can remember... that's why i only go for drinks on a patio, and it's patio isn't near as good with several other places on campus corner now having better spaces.