View Full Version : OKC Fat & Lazy!

earlywinegareth
06-28-2011, 09:31 AM
Y'all need to get off your fat rears: http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/06/27/us-lexington-sedentary-city-idUSTRE75Q3T120110627

Personally, I exercise 3-4X a week. I do a mix of power walking, yoga, swimming, and weights. I have a family membership at the Y and own a Total Gym. I am amazed at the people who do nothing then complain about health problems - blood pressure, overweight, back pain, etc. Just make healthy eating choices and get moderate exercise.

Dustin
06-28-2011, 10:27 AM
Well la te da.........

bandnerd
06-28-2011, 10:41 AM
Wow, really? Thank you for clearing all that up for me.

rondvu
06-28-2011, 10:52 AM
Well, it is kinda true. Go other places and come home and you will notice.

jmarkross
06-28-2011, 10:58 AM
Europeans are fat--just like pigs, as are people all over, except for where starving occurs...depends on where you go when you travel.

bandnerd
06-28-2011, 11:43 AM
Well, it is kinda true. Go other places and come home and you will notice.

I have been other places. It's no secret that our entire country, not just this state, has a problem. It's also no secret that eating a healthier diet and being more active would help a lot of overweight people be healthier. There's no reason for someone to come in here and say, "look at me! I'm awesome and work out all the time and I'm so healthy!" Hell, I'm overweight and as healthy as could be. What do you make of that?

Roadhawg
06-28-2011, 01:20 PM
That reminds me.... I need to pick up some ice cream on the way home

kevinpate
06-28-2011, 01:34 PM
oh great, now I'm depressed again. Thanks a lot. i suppose I could go walk over to wait, snif, I smell apple pie. Seesya skinnywinny!

Bostonfan
06-28-2011, 02:02 PM
Y'all need to get off your fat rears: http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/06/27/us-lexington-sedentary-city-idUSTRE75Q3T120110627

Personally, I exercise 3-4X a week. I do a mix of power walking, yoga, swimming, and weights. I have a family membership at the Y and own a Total Gym. I am amazed at the people who do nothing then complain about health problems - blood pressure, overweight, back pain, etc. Just make healthy eating choices and get moderate exercise.

No shocking news here. I must say, it's really tough sometimes to enjoy a night out when you are surrounded by obese people who couldn't care less about themselves. With so many conservatives around here, you would think this wouldn't be a problem. You know, the whole "personal responsibilty" should kick in at some point.

kevinpate
06-28-2011, 02:14 PM
Many of the conservatives I know do assume a great deal of personal responsibility ... for going back to the buffet line.
They have real trust issues on anyone else letting them have the newer slices of pie.

ljbab728
06-28-2011, 10:20 PM
I saw this article earlier today and have doubts about the methods used for determing this list. It seems to be very limited in scope and much of it seems to be speculation. OKC may deserve it's ranking but I'm not sure it's true based on their criteria.

Snowman
06-28-2011, 10:44 PM
With most cities obesity ratings withing 5% of the national highs and almost all within 10%, none of the cities should feel very comfortable with the health trends they have with weight. Smoking is not much better either nationally.

PennyQuilts
06-29-2011, 08:21 AM

Well, I can't quibble with the sentiment because its true. But how old are you, 25???? For some reason, once you get, say, 35, all that yoga and swimming and - god forbid - power walking drops way down the list of priorities for most of us. I'm not saying that's a good idea, but I AM saying it is a lot easier when you are younger and interested in actually moving.

When I was a kid, I used to think the worst thing in the world would be to be in a wheelchair. These days, it is sounding like a nice excuse to not feel guilty about being a potted plant. : )

PennyQuilts
06-29-2011, 08:25 AM
Many of the conservatives I know do assume a great deal of personal responsibility ... for going back to the buffet line.
They have real trust issues on anyone else letting them have the newer slices of pie.

Oh STOP!!! Only the young liberals are skinny and that's because they are young. The old ones are eating up cheetoes bought with their food stamps. : )

jmarkross
06-29-2011, 02:58 PM

I see your point...most liberals are just as thin as rails...and you'll never see any of the 99% liberal welfare mamas who are...obese...or their ducks quacking behind them...

Bostonfan
06-29-2011, 03:29 PM
Personal responsibilty of conservatives. Got to love it!!

kevinpate
06-29-2011, 06:58 PM
Oh STOP!!! Only the young liberals are skinny and that's because they are young. The old ones are eating up cheetoes bought with their food stamps. : )

I dinna say anything one way or the other about liberals. I was responding to #9, and it focused on conservs and personal responsibility.

Oh, and cheetos? YUM!

kevinpate
06-29-2011, 06:58 PM
I see your point...most liberals are just as thin as rails...and you'll never see any of the 99% liberal welfare mamas who are...obese...or their ducks quacking behind them...

see #17.

PennyQuilts
06-29-2011, 07:49 PM
Oh, and cheetos? YUM!

Agreed!

Snowman
07-07-2011, 08:17 PM
Saw another story, it had links to some statistics. We are getting worse faster than the national average. In 1995 their were 39 states with higher obesity rates and one tied with us (the obesity rate in 1995 - 12.9%), now only 6 have higher rates (obesity rate last census - 31.4%).

rcjunkie
07-07-2011, 08:22 PM
Saw another story, it had links to some statistics. We are getting worse faster than the national average. In 1995 their were 39 states with higher obesity rates and one tied with us (the obesity rate in 1995 - 12.9%), now only 6 have higher rates (obesity rate last census - 31.4%).

would had my two cents, but I'm leaving for 5 Guys, Burgers & Fries.

mcca7596
07-07-2011, 09:04 PM
I am surprised that it has risen so dramatically, as people have become far more health-conscious over the last 16 years.

MadMonk
07-08-2011, 08:51 AM
No shocking news here. I must say, it's really tough sometimes to enjoy a night out when you are surrounded by obese people who couldn't care less about themselves. With so many conservatives around here, you would think this wouldn't be a problem. You know, the whole "personal responsibilty" should kick in at some point.
:lame:

earlywinegareth
07-08-2011, 10:03 AM
Did my powerwalk yesterday afternoon at South Lakes Park in 100+ heat. Actually wasn't too bad since there was some breeze and I kept sipping gatorade. Did 2.5 miles and I had the entire park to myself.

RadicalModerate
07-08-2011, 10:35 AM

I don't recall any questions on the last census form about obesity . . .
Or are they taking pictures of the population from the black helicopters?

P.S. Does doing an unnecessary "power walk" in 100+ degree weather say something about a person's MENTAL fitness?
Just askin' . . .

earlywinegareth
07-08-2011, 10:57 AM
P.S. Does doing an unnecessary "power walk" in 100+ degree weather say something about a person's MENTAL fitness?
Just askin' . . .

Well I suppose it's unnecessary unless you're middle-aged and want your weight, blood pressure, and cholesterol to be normal - which mine are! Exercising in the heat also makes doing yardwork easier in summer. Look, I just want to be able to keep my active lifestyle as I get older. You'll never see me in one of those motorized tricycles for adults, if I can help it!

rcjunkie
07-08-2011, 11:07 AM
Did my powerwalk yesterday afternoon at South Lakes Park in 100+ heat. Actually wasn't too bad since there was some breeze and I kept sipping gatorade. Did 2.5 miles and I had the entire park to myself.

I love S. Lakes, this was the last OKC Park I helped develop before retiring. The only thing S. Lakes needs is more trees, especially along the walking trail.

Jzyehoshua
07-08-2011, 12:28 PM
I was very surprised coming to Oklahoma City. Back in Illinois, there are sports fields and basketball courts all over the place. Lots of gyms, YMCAs, local sports leagues, etc. Here in OKC, there seem to be far fewer sports areas and fewer leagues for actual participation (as opposed to watching the Thunder or Barons). And for having so much public transit, there doesn't seem to be all that much walking done by the general public, apart from the homeless.

So here are some solutions I would recommend:

* Stop being so scared about getting sun exposure or skin cancer.
* Emphasize P.E. in schools. There's been too much short-changing of it in the U.S. in favor of health classes, or driver's ed, or CPR, or sex education.
* We need more city emphasis of sports, more available areas for actual participation, not just watching.
* The city needs to stop some of the excessive ordinances clamping down on outside activities. I mean come on, a permit required for "Participant Recreation and Entertainment: Outdoor" (http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientID=14500&stateID=36&statename=Oklahoma)? An extra excise tax (http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientID=14500&stateID=36&statename=Oklahoma) on baseball parks that don't meet AAA standards, or hockey/basketball facilities not up to par with the NHL/NBA standards? Required permits for fishing and strict requirements on type of fishing allowed (no-rod fishing is illegal in most areas)? Making basketball hoops in front of houses (http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientID=14500&stateID=36&statename=Oklahoma) illegal? Outlawing sports (http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientID=14500&stateID=36&statename=Oklahoma) play near streets, avenues, and alleys? I think the city ordinances are getting excessive and may be directly prohibiting active sports participation by the citizenry.
* Start making the tobacco/nicotine companies in the area pay a percentage of the city's healthcare costs. With so many addicts near the city, we need to start being preventive. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, right? Heavier fines and jail time for those selling drugs, and maybe a ban on cigarettes and other drugs altogether. We've allowed them to market without penalty - just taxing the products does little, since it just gets passed onto the consumers, who, addicted, will pay any price. Lets get serious, and get to the companies and drug sellers themselves.

BayAreaOkie
07-08-2011, 12:37 PM

Thanks, Jillian Michaels. I was really concerned that at least one of our citizens wasn't acting like the physique poster child.

- Signed

6' and 175lbs.

Snowman
07-08-2011, 07:51 PM
I don't recall any questions on the last census form about obesity . . .
Or are they taking pictures of the population from the black helicopters?

The census bureau has some time to kill between the 10 year surveys, so one of the things they do is randomly chooses a small (but enough to be statistically meaningful) fraction of the population and asks them more in depth questions.

ljbab728
07-08-2011, 09:43 PM
Required permits for fishing and strict requirements on type of fishing allowed (no-rod fishing is illegal in most areas)?

That may be something you don't like but it has little to do with OKC being fat and lazy. Fishing, as much fun as it may be for many, is one of the ultimate fat and lazy recreational activities.

RadicalModerate
07-09-2011, 08:37 AM
Now hold on just a minute . . .
Noodling seems to be a fairly active activity (the noodling involving fish, not lifting pasta).

Of course, I have to question the mental fitness of noodlers as well (although some of my best friends in the distant past were noodlers . . . Most of them were also involved with the sport of cockfighting before it was criminalized.)

"Okay . . . Stick your hand in this hole and see if it comes back not snakebit and with all five fingers. If there's a fish in there, let him think your arm is a giant worm then grab him."

"Sounds like a good idea t' me! Not t' mention fun! An' good exercise t' boot!"

It always cracks me up when golfers are referred to as "athletes" . . .
Along with bowlers, pool players, shuffleboarders and skeet shooters.

ck76
07-09-2011, 09:53 AM
I work my butt of in the oklahoma sun 5 days a week sometimes six and I still have a beer belly,that's really the only fat I have on my body, and I'm fine with it because I sure as heck aint giving up my beer......you should just keep worrying about your perfect self and I will be just fine with my beer gut.....

RadicalModerate
07-09-2011, 10:07 AM
So, do you think that maybe some of The Tobacco Settlement Money (and The Tax on Fat that will replace tobacco tax revenues when everyone quits smoking) might be re-directed to a series of PSA's featuring Obese Juan Kenobi, the unintentionally nutritionally abused child of a Kenyan father and a Hispanic mother?

There could even be a little, Yoda-esque character--resembling, perhaps, Mayor Mick in his later years?--who pops up to remind Obese Juan to make wise nutritional and exercise choices. Beginning with putting down those Toaster Strudels and laying aside the video game console.

Bunty
07-09-2011, 10:40 AM
2.5 miles, though, is a modest distance. Maybe you should make it a point to walk around it two times or more.

Bunty
07-09-2011, 10:51 AM

I don't know where you get the motivation to do all that stuff, especially if you don't need to look for a mate.

progressiveboy
07-09-2011, 11:13 AM
It really is a "mindset". When I am exercising such as swimming, weights, power walking I just feel more alive, alert and have lots of energy. Each individual has the "free will" and choice to either be active or live a sedentary life style and eventually pay the price. I also find when I exercise on a regular basis, I have the motivation to want to continue because I see the benefits and rewards in exercising! The only problem I have is when individuals do not take personal responsibility and continually blame someone or something on their weight problem due to their poor diet and lack of exercise. There is "no excuse" or "justification" !!

BBatesokc
07-09-2011, 11:58 AM
My wife and I's schedule for the last 2 years each week has roughly been to go to the downtown YMCA and do two Body Pump morning classes & one evening class (1hr each), cardio step class three days a week (2hrs each), and elliptical work twice a week for an hour each time. Plus we have pretty active lifestyles. And we use the Lose It! app and website (loseit.com) and I limit myself to 1,500-1,800 calories per day right now and my wife is at 1,200. Mostly accomplished by sharing meals.

I hate to see people obese, but my doctor told me I was medically obese before I got 'on the program' and lost about 52 pounds. It isn't easy and 'diets' will never get you there long term IMO. I love to watch people show up at the gym, stick it out and then see their transformation as the weeks and months go by.

Thunder
07-09-2011, 02:27 PM
I don't exercise....not regularly, but I'm considered "fit" even though the only extra weight that I have is the....tummy. The problem I have is dealing with headaches and dizziness. :-( I really wish to be really slim....don't care about packs and muscles....just get the tummy back down.

ljbab728
07-09-2011, 11:16 PM
I'm certainly not an expert on fitness and how our city matches up but I regurlarly drive near the Lake Hefner recreation area. This morning there were so many bicyclers, joggers, and walkers out on the paths that they were almost running over each other. I just don't understand how the people who make up these lists can be so certain about their statistics. Much of it is strictly based on previous conceptions and conjecture. As this article mentions, fitness centers are certainly on the upswing:

http://www.newsok.com/article/3583937

Does OKC need to shape? Of course. Do we need to go into convulsions worrying about how we are failing? Of course not.

BBatesokc
07-10-2011, 05:59 AM
Problem is, you have to go by a specific area known for people working out to see so many health conscious people - when on the flip side, go to any other public place like a WalMart, 7-11, or any of the millions of fast food places and you see hoards of the exact opposite.

I know a couple of the studies I've seen in the past often factored in the excessive number of fastfood joints we have.

kevinpate
07-10-2011, 06:16 AM
Brian has a point. I've never been hipchecked by some spandex clad cutie diving power walking her way to the salad bar at a Golden Corral.

earlywinegareth
07-10-2011, 09:28 AM
"All u can eat" doesn't mean you should..

I love to eat good food and hate diets. Diets make me cranky and miserable and angry. SO, the deal I have made with myself is I can eat anything I want, as long as I exercise regularly. The odd thing is when I exercise regularly, I want to eat healthy and choose the right portions. One behavior reinforces the other.

JayhawkTransplant
07-10-2011, 09:56 AM
For some reason, once you get, say, 35, all that yoga and swimming and - god forbid - power walking drops way down the list of priorities for most of us. I'm not saying that's a good idea, but I AM saying it is a lot easier when you are younger and interested in actually moving.

This might be exactly the reason we are getting fatter and fatter. Fitness and health should not move down the priority list because you have kids. In fact, it should move up, because we need to be teaching our kids the importance of eating right and exercise.

My grandma is 86 years old and still runs marathons. She and I did one in March, and, as usual, people stopped us along the way to take pictures with her. They ask her what her secret is. She just winks at them and says 'move it or lose it.' She didn't start running until she was in her 50s and thought she was getting a bit hefty.

It is a stark contrast to my other grandmother, who is 8 years younger and hasn't been able to walk or care for herself for 5 years. I know there are a lot of variables in play, but it makes you think.

And Jzyehoshua, you are right--this city is modeled for people who don't like to exercise. It is getting much better, and I can't wait to see the progress in the years ahead. The park space is dismal. Trails are limited. There's virtually no way to bicycle to or from anywhere. And, nothing to do with the city, but gyms here are lackluster as well. Granted, I know I came here from a college town, but I toured 6 gyms before signing a membership and saw nothing comparable to my old gym. I really wanted to join the Y, but the weekend hours--7AM to 5PM Saturday, and 1PM to 5PM Sunday--were a major dealbreaker to me. But it's all about supply and demand, so I understand...

progressiveboy
07-10-2011, 10:04 AM
This might be exactly the reason we are getting fatter and fatter. Fitness and health should not move down the priority list because you have kids. In fact, it should move up, because we need to be teaching our kids the importance of eating right and exercise.

My grandma is 86 years old and still runs marathons. She and I did one in March, and, as usual, people stopped us along the way to take pictures with her. They ask her what her secret is. She just winks at them and says 'move it or lose it.' She didn't start running until she was in her 50s and thought she was getting a bit hefty.

It is a stark contrast to my other grandmother, who is 8 years younger and hasn't been able to walk or care for herself for 5 years. I know there are a lot of variables in play, but it makes you think.

And Jzyehoshua, you are right--this city is modeled for people who don't like to exercise. It is getting much better, and I can't wait to see the progress in the years ahead. The park space is dismal. Trails are limited. There's virtually no way to bicycle to or from anywhere. And, nothing to do with the city, but gyms here are lackluster as well. Granted, I know I came here from a college town, but I toured 6 gyms before signing a membership and saw nothing comparable to my old gym. I really wanted to join the Y, but the weekend hours--7AM to 5PM Saturday, and 1PM to 5PM Sunday--were a major dealbreaker to me. But it's all about supply and demand, so I understand... This should change for OKC residents with LA Fitness and Planet Fitness entering the market. Also keep in mind, Gold's Gym has entered the OKC market so it appears there is a vast improvement already in gyms represented! The problem lies in even if they had trails going throughout the city and a gym on every corner, many people in OKC would still find fault with OKC. When I lived in OKC constant complainers but they could not offer solutions to make the city better.

JayhawkTransplant
07-10-2011, 10:22 AM
Ooooh, great! I hope they have extended hours.

I hate to be one of those complainers; I was just trying to mention some things that I think would help encourage people (apparently those under 25) to get out and be active without feeling like they were exercising. It's normally my policy to say something positive with my critiques, so I will say that I LOVE running downtown. It's easy to keep change paths and maintain your speed when a light is red, and I feel safe. It's pretty well-lit, and there's dog poop bags in key locations...

RadicalModerate
07-10-2011, 11:49 AM
Brian has a point. I've never been hipchecked by some spandex clad cutie diving power walking her way to the salad bar at a Golden Corral.

Brian had another good point:
"Problem is, you have to go by a specific area known for people working out to see so many health conscious people - when on the flip side, go to any other public place like a WalMart, 7-11, or any of the millions of fast food places and you see hoards of the exact opposite."

Here's the rub: Without the combination of Obesity and Spandex the "People of Walmart" site would be only half as big as it is.

(Remember that entire section in Orwell's "1984" that had to do with Winston Smith not doing his exercises properly in front of the "Interactive Telescreen"? I guess it IS all just a mindset . . . (Or is it--insert Theremin arpeggio--the wave of The Future. The End? =)

lake hefner breeze
07-10-2011, 12:34 PM
It's foods fault.

It shouldn't taste so good.

RadicalModerate
07-10-2011, 01:11 PM
LOL! "Personal Responsibility" IS the Key . . .
"If thy tongue offend thee . . .
Scrape off the tastebuds
and/or drink scalding coffee."

ljbab728
07-10-2011, 10:28 PM
Problem is, you have to go by a specific area known for people working out to see so many health conscious people - when on the flip side, go to any other public place like a WalMart, 7-11, or any of the millions of fast food places and you see hoards of the exact opposite.

I know a couple of the studies I've seen in the past often factored in the excessive number of fastfood joints we have.

Go to those places in any city and you would see exactly the same thing. OKC has no corner on that market. I still think the people compiling those lists start with OKC at the bottom unless they can find some way to move them up.

Bunty
07-11-2011, 01:29 PM
I don't exercise....not regularly, but I'm considered "fit" even though the only extra weight that I have is the....tummy. The problem I have is dealing with headaches and dizziness. :-( I really wish to be really slim....don't care about packs and muscles....just get the tummy back down.If you drink beer and/or non-diet soft drinks every day, then cut them out.

Maybe your problems with headaches are migraines. If you get dizzy and/or see specks before your eyes before the headache starts, then it probably is. You may also get sick to your stomach during the headache, and won't want to do anything. I once had migraines when I was around 20, but after a year or so they stopped. Why, I don't know, unless a temporary period of having migraines when one is in the 20's isn't too unusual for that age range.