View Full Version : Wichita

dankrutka
06-27-2011, 10:49 PM
After 30 years of living in Oklahoma (the first 18 in Tulsa, next 10 in Norman, and the last year in downtown OKC), I got a job in Wichita for the next 9 months, but it could end up being longer. I explored the town when I went for my job interview and most of the town was unimpressive, but Old Town (kind of like Bricktown) and some of the surrounding area were a lot better. To anyone that knows, does that sound about right? I've lived in Midtown for the last year and absolutely loved it. I love seeing the OKC renaissance evolve day by day. I'm definitely into a more urban environment where I can walk to entertainment options. There seem to be a decent amount of rental apartments in the Old Town area and that's what I'm looking at... Can anyone give me any advise about where to live what to do in Wichita? Thanks. Gonnna miss OKC!!!

TulsaRobert
06-28-2011, 07:48 AM
From the few trips I made to Wichita over the years, I always found myself in or around downtown. Wichita is far from being an "exciting, fun city", but Old Town is pretty decent. There were a couple of clubs that I went to elsewhere in downtown and I spent some time over at the Riverside Parks, and those things were not too bad. Everywhere else felt very.... sleepy. Kinda like OKC felt 10 years ago, and Tulsa felt 5 years ago.

MikeLucky
06-28-2011, 08:07 AM
I grew up in Wichita and now live here in the Norman area... I would say your assesment of Wichita is pretty spot on. Old Town is not bad... the rest of the city is pretty sleepy.

I will say there are 3 things that I missed about Wichita when I left... Dillon's grocery stores, QuikTrips, and the Warren theaters.

We have the Warren now here in Moore, so that helps.... If I could just get a QT here I would be in hog heaven. But, given those were the only things I really missed, should give you an idea of what's up.

Wichita does have pretty much every chain restaurant you can imagine, and even usually gets them before OKC. But there are a handful of decent local establishments, but NOTHING like here in OKC. One is Stroud's which has the best fried chicken and pork chops I've ever had. Only chicken close to it here in the OKC metro is Eishchen's. Some of the other local places I miss are Felipe's Jr. and Carlos O'Kelly's (both mexican).

dankrutka
06-28-2011, 02:19 PM
Thanks! Being from Tulsa, I'm obsessed with QuikTrip so I understand your pain. I'll check out the local places you mentioned. I really don't eat at chains. I hope I can find some good places because I've become very spoiled living in Norman and OKC. I have so many local places that I am obsessed with (Norman - Pepe Delgado's, Tarahumara's, OKC - Hideaway, Republic, Iron Starr, 1492, Big Truck...). Anyone else?

MikeLucky
06-28-2011, 02:32 PM
Thanks! Being from Tulsa, I'm obsessed with QuikTrip so I understand your pain. I'll check out the local places you mentioned. I really don't eat at chains. I hope I can find some good places because I've become very spoiled living in Norman and OKC. I have so many local places that I am obsessed with (Norman - Pepe Delgado's, Tarahumara's, OKC - Hideaway, Republic, Iron Starr, 1492, Big Truck...). Anyone else?

Well there are a few other local places... like Cinnamon's Deli and Spangle's (fast food burgers). You will also see OKC area favorites like Louie's, Red Rock Canyon, and Jimmy's Egg. But, as for the mexican places... prepare to be disappointed. There is no place in Wichita like the tex/mex places here in OKC. You won't find a place that even gives free queso and/or tortillas... chips and salsa is all you get there. The best local BBQ place is Pig In-Pig Out... it is REALLY good BBQ.

LM401
06-28-2011, 02:42 PM
If you like Mediterranean food then N&J Cafe & Bakery is great. I love their hummus. Actually, everything I have tried there is good. They have homemade baklava where most places that sell it buy it pre-made from food supplier.

SoonerQueen
06-28-2011, 09:41 PM
I love the Italian Garden restaurant in Wichita and the Good Egg is like Jimmy's Egg. Both are worth trying.

adaniel
06-28-2011, 10:07 PM
Congrats on the new job!

I don't have any specific recommendations but I do have a good college friend who took a job with Koch Industries a while back. She told me the Wichita has a small but vibrant group of young professionals (similar to TYPros in Tulsa if you are familiar with that). It was pretty easy to get plugged into the town through them, according to her. I'm typing on the run, but you may want to give it a whirl on the Google to see if you find something.

I've been to Wichita a few times. I have to agree the old town area seemed more put together than Bricktown, but did lack the other urban neighborhoods you see in and around OKC. Plus the economy there doesn't seem like its doing so hot with all of the aerospace layoffs (of course you have a job so this doesn't matter). But you are close to KC and Lawrence (awesome cities!) and the Flint Hills (which are a lot nicer on the KS side). And culturally its probably not too different to OK so you will probably fit in fine.

dankrutka
06-28-2011, 10:55 PM
Actually, people often forget that OKC is closer to Wichita than Kansas City is... It's actually funny that this job came out of nowhere because my twin sister just moved from South Carolina to Kansas City this week... Thanks for the recommmendations. Keep 'em coming...

Double Edge
06-30-2011, 06:38 AM
Whoops. Missed this thread when I posted this question about Wichita http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=26298&p=443257#post443257