View Full Version : CHHS Beautification Project

Prunepicker
06-24-2011, 10:17 PM
Does anyone know about this?

corpsman
06-25-2011, 08:21 AM
Don't remember exact details, but article in Oklahoman a few days ago said it had to do with the median on Grand in front of CHHS. New trees and such maybe.
Does anyone know about this?

OKCisOK4me
06-25-2011, 08:40 AM
Ya know, maybe I'm having a very bad brain block right now (I don't know) but I have no clue what CHHS is.... something something High School???

USG'60
06-25-2011, 08:47 AM
Capitol Hill.

OKCisOK4me
06-25-2011, 10:41 AM
Gotcha! I was like Coronado Heights??? lol But we're not in California. Thank you USGHS ;-)

Prunepicker
06-25-2011, 02:30 PM
Ya know, maybe I'm having a very bad brain block right now (I don't
know) but I have no clue what CHHS is... something something High
School?
Capitol Hill High School. Pardon my not including it in the post.

SOUTHSIDE GIRL
06-27-2011, 07:50 AM
Article in the Capitol HIll Beacon. and maybe the Daily Oklahoman....talked about the project. Also, a memorial with veterans from the school with their names. One is there now , but had almost disappeared over the years. It is in connection with the maps project for the school.

SOUTHSIDE GIRL
06-27-2011, 07:55 AM
Here is copy form the Daily Oklahoman

Forgotten memorial to alumni killed at war stands in the median outside Capitol Hill High School.

Advertisement
Over the years the granite markers bearing the names of soldiers killed in World War II, Korea and Vietnam have disappeared.

But a $75,000 project sponsored by OKC Beautiful will make it possible to move the remaining placards inside the school at the same time they redo the Grand Boulevard median in front of the historic high school building, 500 S Grand Blvd.

“We wanted to do this in conjunction with the MAPS for Kids makeover that the school is doing,” said Lisa Synar, executive director of OKC Beautiful. “It's fabulous.”

The first step of the median makeover will be installing an irrigation system, Synar said, adding that they will wait until the heat of summer is over to plant vegetation.

Officials celebrated a groundbreaking of the project on Wednesday.

Capitol Hill is in the middle of two years of planned renovations funded by the multimillion-dollar MAPS for Kids plan, Principal Alex Souza said.

According to the MAPS Trust documents, $13.3 million was originally allocated for the project and completion is expected in the fall of 2012.

“It's kind of like a huge face-lift of the whole building,” Souza said. “It's going to be like a climate change for students and staff.”

He said the median project is an exciting development for the school, as was the discovery of hidden architecture and molding in the auditorium.

“Instead of remodeling, they found some old plaster designs, they exposed the art and they are restoring some of the original design,” Souza said.

Synar said the school's Junior ROTC program will look after the flag and flagpole in the median, and said it's a true partnership between the school, OKC Beautiful and the Margaret Annis Boys Trust, which also provided funding for the project.

Read more: http://newsok.com/capitol-hill-high-school-median-getting-makeover/article/3573304#ixzz1QU79lMgA

swilki
06-28-2011, 08:54 PM
Sid - It's a wonderful project, kuddos to you all. Sounds like it could be another award :) http://www.keepoklahomabeautiful.com/environmental-excellence-competition