View Full Version : Johns Hopkins and magic mushrooms

USG'60
06-23-2011, 02:18 PM
If this turns political, Admins, feel free to move it there.

Hopefully we all agree that Johns Hopkins is a major and legitimate player in the medical world. Here is an article regarding their study of "magic" mushrooms. Are there those who would gainsay the results? http://motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2011/06/magic-mushrooms-safe-still-illegal.

jmarkross
06-23-2011, 02:36 PM
If this turns political, Admins, feel free to move it there.

Hopefully we all agree that Johns Hopkins is a major and legitimate player in the medical world. Here is an article regarding their study of "magic" mushrooms. Are there those who would gainsay the results? http://motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2011/06/magic-mushrooms-safe-still-illegal.

Interesting. Having been in Norman during the 1960's...seen a lot of first-hand observations of people using this form of "self-medication". Like so many things...sometimes it is OK for SOME people to play with. I knew one girl who tried them...and she has--as far as I know--been living with her parents and has not left her home since about 1967. Others--just laughed and went on to successful careers. Unpredictable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psilocybin_mushroom

MikeOKC
06-23-2011, 02:56 PM
Interesting indeed. I fully believe that there are states of altered consciousness where we are "tuned in" to the cosmic mysteries. It doesn't answer anything, but allows us to get closer to the mystery that there are so many things bigger, larger, more fantastic than anything we could possibly comprehend under "normal" conditions. We are, after all, stardust.

USG'60
06-23-2011, 03:53 PM
I experience both extremes back in the day. Because of that I wish that it could be bought openly and graded for potency. Paranoia can be a horrible thing. And knowing that a lot of people have potential "triggers" for mental illness, I quit recommending it to others long before I quit doing it. I would do it again if it could be graded and I learned my limit. As it is I'll refrain.

jmarkross
06-23-2011, 04:29 PM
I experience both extremes back in the day. Because of that I wish that it could be bought openly and graded for potency. Paranoia can be a horrible thing. And knowing that a lot of people have potential "triggers" for mental illness, I quit recommending it to others long before I quit doing it. I would do it again if it could be graded and I learned my limit. As it is I'll refrain.

The main reason I would never favor legalizing most drugs is the majority of the potential users have no concept of moderation or good sense. If they did--they would be users right now and no one would know. Mostly those who want legalization want simply--perceived lower prices and more ready availability.

Besides--drugs of the most vile sort are available legally from a doctor anytime you wish. Within some modicum of reason...

USG'60
06-23-2011, 05:25 PM
You nailed it with your last sentence. The rest deserves a discussion, something that just can't seem to happen in a forum.

Just dawned on me, it could be that this study could lead to doing away with some of those vile drugs you mentioned.

HewenttoJared
06-24-2011, 05:39 PM
It's an area that should be open to legitimate study, but I doubt mushrooms will be a viable, controllable, source. Most likely they will have to piggybakthe enzymes on a bacteria to get controlled dosages.