View Full Version : OKC Not Alone In Downtown Investments

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

G.Walker
06-23-2011, 09:27 AM
What Oklahoma City is doing now is great, but let's look outside the box, and visit what other cities are developing in their downtown area. Now I am not putting OKC up against major cities, like Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, or Charlotte. But cities that are close to OKC in metro size, values, and demographic.

Nashville (http://www.tennessean.com/section/PROJECTS07)

Salt Lake City (www.downtownrising.com)

Louisville (http://www.downtowndevelopmentcorp.org/EconomicDevelopment/DevelopmentProjects/tabid/4088/Default.aspx)

Omaha (http://www.selectgreateromaha.com/omaha/media/docs/publications/Greater%20Omaha%20Downtown%20Development%20Brochur e.pdf)

Memphis (http://www.downtownmemphis.com/develop_currentprojectresults_NewWin.asp?keyword=&status=1%3ADesign%2FPlanning&go=Search)

Didn't realize Memphis had so much going on!

Pete
06-23-2011, 09:32 AM
I've been thinking about creating a forum for other cities; what is going on there, projects we envy, areas where we can learn, etc.

Not just downtown, but planning initiatives, transportation options, suburban stuff, retail and the like.

What do you guys think?

Pete
06-23-2011, 09:43 AM
I would add that as much as we like to congratulate ourselves and celebrate what is happening in OKC, in many ways we are still behind lots of cities our size and smaller.

Although this is a relatively new concept here, New Urbanism has been going strong for quite some time. I get so excited about Oklahoma City and then go to a place like Milwaukee (a little larger but not much) and end up profoundly depressed because we don't have 1/20th of what they already have in place. And of course, they are going great guns, building on an excellent foundation with much more in progress and on the planning boards.

The simple truth is that we are not operating in a vacuum; OKC competes directly with these other cities for employers, conventions, entrepreneurs, developers, investors, bank funding, federal dollars, tourists and people looking to relocate. And every single community has aggressive initiatives to improve their central cores.

We are still new to this game and have a lot to learn.

G.Walker
06-23-2011, 09:43 AM
I've been thinking about creating a forum for other cities; what is going on there, projects we envy, areas where we can learn, etc.

Not just downtown, but planning initiatives, transportation options, suburban stuff, retail and the like.

What do you guys think?

Sounds good to me, I think the awareness of what other cities are doing can birth ideas here OKC...

kevinpate
06-23-2011, 10:03 AM
I would find it interesting, but I travel so little I would be outside looking in.

earlywinegareth
06-23-2011, 10:52 AM
If your'e standing still, you're falling behind...

semisimple
06-23-2011, 09:03 PM
Almost every city in the country is undergoing some sort of downtown revitalization. What is unique about OKC is that it has maintained its momentum despite the economic downturn, whereas in most other cities redevelopment efforts have stalled significantly.

By the way, GWalker--Charlotte is not a "major city" and not even remotely close to the likes of Dallas or Atlanta. If anything Charlotte could be considered a peer city of OKC.

ljbab728
06-23-2011, 11:47 PM
What Oklahoma City is doing now is great, but let's look outside the box, and visit what other cities are developing in their downtown area. Now I am not putting OKC up against major cities, like Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, or Charlotte. But cities that are close to OKC in metro size, values, and demographic.

Nashville (http://www.tennessean.com/section/PROJECTS07)

Salt Lake City (www.downtownrising.com)

Louisville (http://www.downtowndevelopmentcorp.org/EconomicDevelopment/DevelopmentProjects/tabid/4088/Default.aspx)

Omaha (http://www.selectgreateromaha.com/omaha/media/docs/publications/Greater%20Omaha%20Downtown%20Development%20Brochur e.pdf)

Memphis (http://www.downtownmemphis.com/develop_currentprojectresults_NewWin.asp?keyword=&status=1%3ADesign%2FPlanning&go=Search)

Didn't realize Memphis had so much going on!

I found it interesting that Memphis is renovating their Pyramid Arena into a Bass Pro Shops. I wonder if Memphis is subsidizing them too.

G.Walker
06-24-2011, 09:15 AM
Almost every city in the country is undergoing some sort of downtown revitalization. What is unique about OKC is that it has maintained its momentum despite the economic downturn, whereas in most other cities redevelopment efforts have stalled significantly.

By the way, GWalker--Charlotte is not a "major city" and not even remotely close to the likes of Dallas or Atlanta. If anything Charlotte could be considered a peer city of OKC.

Peer city to OKC, are you serious? Have you done your research on Charlotte, Charlotte has been one of the fastest growing cities in the nation for the past 20 years, their city population is around 750,000 and a metro area over 2 million! Not to mention they are home to and NBA AND NFL team. They are also the second largest banking center in the US behind New York. They have many modern skyscrapers and about 4 more under construction. Charlotte is about 20 years ahead of OKC in development, sorry:ohno:

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x213/nibletodell/IMG_3993.jpg

SkyWestOKC
06-24-2011, 09:21 AM
Charlotte is also a major airline hub. About 1,400 operations a day. For reference DFW has 1,900. LAX has around 1,200. OKC has 375.

semisimple
06-24-2011, 07:42 PM
Peer city to OKC, are you serious? Have you done your research on Charlotte, Charlotte has been one of the fastest growing cities in the nation for the past 20 years, their city population is around 750,000 and a metro area over 2 million! Not to mention they are home to and NBA AND NFL team. They are also the second largest banking center in the US behind New York. They have many modern skyscrapers and about 4 more under construction. Charlotte is about 20 years ahead of OKC in development, sorry:ohno:

Done my "research?" LOL, I'm not the one calling it a "major city" and lumping it in the category of the likes of Dallas and Atlanta--have you actually been to Charlotte? In any case, here's just two bits of "research" that pretty much shred any notion you might have of Charlotte being a true major and, relative to those cities, much closer to being a peer city of OKC.

Charlotte -
MSA population, 2010: 1,758,038
GMP, 2010: $115 billion

OKC -
MSA population, 2010: 1,252,987
GMP, 2010: $58 billion

DFW -
MSA population, 2010: 6,371,773
GMP, 2010: $385 billion

End of discussion.

dmoor82
06-24-2011, 07:55 PM
What's Austin's GDP?Around 100 Billion?

Pete
06-24-2011, 08:02 PM
OKC is a Tier III city, Austin and Charlotte Tier II, Dallas & Atlanta Tier I.

OKC could easily make the jump to Tier II in the next couple of decades, but we have a ways to go.

dmoor82
06-24-2011, 08:06 PM
OKC is a Tier III city, Austin and Charlotte Tier II, Dallas & Atlanta Tier I.

OKC could easily make the just to Tier II in the next couple of decades, but we have a ways to go.

If OKC is TierIII,then what is Tulsa or Omaha tiered at?I would think OKC,Tulsa and Omaha are all on TierIII but OKC is probably on the high end!

dankrutka
06-24-2011, 09:20 PM
I like the idea of a forum for what other cities are doing.

I was just in Wichita for a job interview this week. Most of the town is pretty crappy, but I was really impressed with the Old Town area. It is a lot like Bricktown except no canal yet way more developed. There were probably 40-50 bars in the area. Tons of good restaurants. Lots of local coffee shops. Way more urban living options. No downtown skyline to speak of though. When I was looking at a really nice condo I told the lady I was from OKC and she said, "Oh. Then you'll like it here. It's not as developed as Bricktown, but it's developing..." It's good to know that Bricktown has developed a nice reputation, but I think Wichita's Bricktown equivalent was much nicer. It kind of made me sad. I don't think OKC has any area as well developed as Wichita's Old Town and the few miles around it... Maybe I'm wrong, but that was my perception. Thoughts?

Pete
06-24-2011, 09:28 PM
I've said this many times, but it's a case of OKC trying to ride too many horses with one behind.

As soon as one urban area shows some life, another urban frontier is forged and we never seem to get to critical mass. However, I think Deep Deuce will soon be there, as will Midtown.

Off the top my head, here is a list of our urban districts and none are fully realized and most aren't even close: Bricktown, Lower Bricktown, Deep Duece, Film Row, Midtown, SOSA, The Paseo, Core 2 Shore, Uptown (23rd), Plaza District, Boathouse Row, Auto Alley, Classen/Asian District, Western Avenue, Arts District... And I'm sure I'm leaving some out!

Also, the impressions of an out-of-town visitor are often distorted... I just counted the number of eating and drinking places on the OT Wichita website and I came up with 31. Bricktown, believe it or not, lists 52.

dankrutka
06-24-2011, 11:55 PM
You may be right. Maybe my perception was distorted. It just felt like Old Town was a lot more put together than Bricktown.

I've always said that the number one area where OKC falls behind other similarly sized cities is dense, authentic, entertainment districts. Bricktown is the best cluster of entertainment options (I'm primarily talking about bars, food), but it is very touristy and not very hip. Most locals don't go out in Bricktown much. 9th street and Automobile Alley, Deep Deuce, Midtown, Plaza District, Paseo, Western, and others all have potential, but offer few options. Tulsa, on the other hand, has several districts that cluster good options in Brookside, Cherry Street, Blue Dome, and Brady. I would take any of those four districts over what OKC has currently. Heck, campus corner in Norman might be as good as anywhere in the state. OKC has a lot going for it, but this is a weakness. Hopefully some of these districts can get some more options and keep their local flavor. OKC needs them.

ljbab728
06-25-2011, 12:42 AM
You may be right. Maybe my perception was distorted. It just felt like Old Town was a lot more put together than Bricktown.

I've always said that the number one area where OKC falls behind other similarly sized cities is dense, authentic, entertainment districts. Bricktown is the best cluster of entertainment options (I'm primarily talking about bars, food), but it is very touristy and not very hip. Most locals don't go out in Bricktown much. 9th street and Automobile Alley, Deep Deuce, Midtown, Plaza District, Paseo, Western, and others all have potential, but offer few options. Tulsa, on the other hand, has several districts that cluster good options in Brookside, Cherry Street, Blue Dome, and Brady. I would take any of those four districts over what OKC has currently. Heck, campus corner in Norman might be as good as anywhere in the state. OKC has a lot going for it, but this is a weakness. Hopefully some of these districts can get some more options and keep their local flavor. OKC needs them.

The type of changes you're talking about take time and the fact that OKC has so many emerging districts at the same time dilutes what is possible in the short term in any one area. I think in 10 years you will find what you're looking for in many areas.

Architect2010
06-27-2011, 03:54 AM
And the fact we have so many urban districts, we should be thankful. They give neighborhoods identity and promote localism and development, not to mention that when all is said and done, there will be no urban equivalent to OKC in this state.

On edit: Well with current trends and development anyways.

G.Walker
06-27-2011, 02:02 PM
New 1,000 room CC hotel in Austin! Gosh Austin just doesn't stop with the high rises...

http://www.hospitalitybusinessnews.com/article/10810/manchester-texas-financial-group-llc-announces-plans-build-1035-room-convention-center

BG918
06-27-2011, 03:18 PM
New 1,000 room CC hotel in Austin! Gosh Austin just doesn't stop with the high rises...

http://www.hospitalitybusinessnews.com/article/10810/manchester-texas-financial-group-llc-announces-plans-build-1035-room-convention-center

They are trying to play with the big boys in their own state: Dallas and Houston.

Austin also wants to solidify its status as the #2 city in the nation for the advanced technology sector (behind the Bay Area in CA). Just like Denver is working to be the #2 city for energy behind Houston, with an obvious focus on Rocky Mtn/Dakotas oil & gas production but also renewable energy.

What is OKC's niche? Natural gas? Aerospace?

semisimple
06-27-2011, 07:03 PM

That in addition to a 1,000+ room Marriott Marquis hotel (http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/theticker/entries/2011/06/17/city_to_consider_fee_waivers_f.html), a 26-story boutique hotel (http://impactnews.com/central-austin/293-recent-news/12130-council-approves-zoning-change-for-26-story-boutique-hotel), a 17-story Hyatt Place (http://www.whitelodging.com/portfolio/underdev_hyatt_austin.asp) and two 350+ foot residential towers that have been announced or revived in the past few months...

Pete
06-27-2011, 07:13 PM
Austin and Denver are the two biggest beneficiaries of California's continued economic woes. Lots of companies and individuals heading their direction.

Also, real estate development always finds an outlet. There are so many people involved in that industry that projects have to happen somewhere and when a certain segment (currently office space) and/or region (really, just about everywhere in the U.S.) suffers, the money merely shifts to somewhere else (apartments/hotels in various locales that have fared a little better in the recent climate). Plus, there has been a tremendous boom in lots of places outside North America: Dubai (which has obviously peaked), Moscow, China, Germany, etc.

The herd of developers and investors gets thinned a bit in these downturns, but usually not for long. Real Estate is in the blood of many and it's a sexy business that attracts many of the rich and powerful. You're seeing a few cities do pretty well now but in another 10 years you'll see another upswing in this cycle and there will be lots more activity just about everywhere.

bluedogok
06-27-2011, 07:23 PM
That in addition to a 1,000+ room Marriott Marquis hotel (http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/theticker/entries/2011/06/17/city_to_consider_fee_waivers_f.html), a 26-story boutique hotel (http://impactnews.com/central-austin/293-recent-news/12130-council-approves-zoning-change-for-26-story-boutique-hotel), a 17-story Hyatt Place (http://www.whitelodging.com/portfolio/underdev_hyatt_austin.asp) and two 350+ foot residential towers that have been announced or revived in the past few months...
There are some other office projects in the works as well.

BG918
06-27-2011, 07:54 PM
There are some other office projects in the works as well.

Austin is a good place to be right now if you're an architect or in the construction business. I work for a construction company and have noticed Dallas, Houston and OKC are also doing fairly well but Austin is really booming. Denver is starting to heat up but isn't quite there yet, possibly later this year or early next year. Lots of stalled projects there that could start up again.

bluedogok
06-27-2011, 08:22 PM
We've got quite a few projects just "sitting out there" waiting to start but have been slammed for most of the past year anyway. I had another 60 hour week last week, just more of the same.

adaniel
06-28-2011, 09:50 PM
They are trying to play with the big boys in their own state: Dallas and Houston.

Austin also wants to solidify its status as the #2 city in the nation for the advanced technology sector (behind the Bay Area in CA). Just like Denver is working to be the #2 city for energy behind Houston, with an obvious focus on Rocky Mtn/Dakotas oil & gas production but also renewable energy.

What is OKC's niche? Natural gas? Aerospace?

The only thing that the Bay Area has over Austin is the amount of venture capital available to companies. Otherwise there's no reason for non-executive tech people to be forking out $1 million for shacks in Palo Alto. So the boom in Austin will continue to have some legs. Hope you like 60 hour weeks bluedog.

On another note, it seems the whole "Silicon Prairie" thing has all but died in Dallas. I remember growing up in Dallas back in the 90's and it was Dallas, not Austin, that was supposed to be the next Bay Area. Then 9/11 dot com bust wiped out a lot the telecom companies. The only big tech company left down there is Texas Instruments.

I actually would say that OKC has a larger energy presence than Denver as far as traditional oil and gas are concerned. I know of several independents (Quantum, Cabot, Pioneer, etc.) that have shuttered their offices up there or consolidated them in Houston. Certainly not bashing Denver, in fact I was considering relocating to the area last year and was pretty disappointed to see how few opportunities there were in my field.

BG918
06-29-2011, 08:17 AM
I actually would say that OKC has a larger energy presence than Denver as far as traditional oil and gas are concerned. I know of several independents (Quantum, Cabot, Pioneer, etc.) that have shuttered their offices up there or consolidated them in Houston. Certainly not bashing Denver, in fact I was considering relocating to the area last year and was pretty disappointed to see how few opportunities there were in my field.

Denver's rise (or fall) in oil and especially natural gas is tied to production in the Rockies and also Montana/Wyoming/the Dakotas. Those areas are heating up, with the Dakotas the place to be for oil production currently. If natural gas prices increase there will be a lot more activity in the western states, which would be controlled from Denver. OKC and Tulsa control the Mid-Continent production which continues to be hot, especially western OK/TX Panhandle and, if natural gas increases, eastern OK into Arkansas (the Fayetteville Shale). Dallas and Ft. Worth control the production in north and west Texas. Houston is the undisputed leader and major HQ/operations city and also controls the production in south Texas and offshore in the Gulf.

Denver does not have the HQ's of the energy companies like OKC but the companies that are there (Anadarko, Halliburton, Encana, etc.) have big offices in Denver. Cimarex, the company that is building the 18 story office tower in downtown Tulsa, is the largest public energy company HQ'd in Denver. Most of their production is in the Mid-Continent hence why they have a big presence in Tulsa.

Where Denver can really excel is in alternative energy and energy R&D. ConocoPhillips plans to build its global research and training center focused on alternative energy in nearby Louisville which will become a major operations base for them. There is also the National Renewable Energy Lab located there which has spun off related businesses. The Denver area is highly educated which aids research, similar to how Austin is highly educated and for that reason they are a leader in technology. Denver also has a large tech industry centered around the 36 corridor between Denver and Boulder.

bluedogok
06-29-2011, 06:11 PM
Hope you like 60 hour weeks bluedog.
It's better than the 80-100 hour weeks that I was doing a few months ago. I got real burnt out doing those for about 6 weeks in a row....and it just keeps coming, I had a rendering job come out of our Indianapolis office this week and may have an animation to do for an Indy project.

Denver also has a large tech industry centered around the 36 corridor between Denver and Boulder.
The Interlocken area has really exploded in growth the past 10 years and the Tech Center area south has as well.

I have looked at moving to Denver off/on for 20 years, interviewed more than few times over the years and had an offer in Vail once for a partner of a firm he went to Putnam City and OSU but we could never get the money for Vail living quite right. A few years back my wife and I were about ready to pull the trigger and just do it with a plan to be relocated by mid-2009, then August 2008 hit. I check the AIA Colorado job board monthly and before that there would be 20-30 ads per month, since then there maybe 3-5 ads per month (6 this month) for the entire state. It just hasn't picked up there as rapidly as it has here. I am still working towards getting licensed in Colorado because you never know what will happen, especially with summers like this.

UnFrSaKn
06-29-2011, 10:12 PM
Speaking of Charlotte...

http://sbs.mnsu.edu/psle/faculty/Slocum/Slocum%20Pics/Travels/Charlotte/gcskyln2.jpg

adaniel
06-30-2011, 12:06 AM
Where Denver can really excel is in alternative energy and energy R&D. ConocoPhillips plans to build its global research and training center focused on alternative energy in nearby Louisville which will become a major operations base for them. There is also the National Renewable Energy Lab located there which has spun off related businesses. The Denver area is highly educated which aids research, similar to how Austin is highly educated and for that reason they are a leader in technology. Denver also has a large tech industry centered around the 36 corridor between Denver and Boulder.

Yeah I agree. Its a shame that here in the wind capitol of America, Oklahoma doesn't really have any sort of renewables industry. Most of the wind farms here are managed and built by companies out of state.

Speaking of Charlotte...

Yeah whoever said that OKC is in the same league as Charlotte has not done their research. Even assuming that their main industry has been hammered (banking), its still way ahead of OKC. Charlotte is a good model for OKC and I could certainly see this area becoming something similar, but it will be a decade or 2.

G.Walker
07-04-2011, 06:21 PM
Our grandmother city Dallas is starting to show her gray hair.

Was in Dallas over the weekend and noticed the Dallas skyline is starting to show her age. All of the tallest skyscrapers in Dallas were built in the early-mid 80's, and Dallas hasn't seen a major skycraper constructed in about 25 years. Yea, she is getting a facelift with the Victory Park development in uptown, with mid-high rise condos, but what happened why the stall of skyscraper construction? Particularly Office?

BG918
07-04-2011, 10:14 PM

Was in Dallas over the weekend and noticed the Dallas skyline is starting to show her age. All of the tallest skyscrapers in Dallas were built in the early-mid 80's, and Dallas hasn't seen a major skycraper constructed in about 25 years. Yea, she is getting a facelift with the Victory Park development in uptown, with mid-high rise condos, but what happened why the stall of skyscraper construction? Particularly Office?

Because all the new office space was built along 75, the North Tollway and the 635 loop north of downtown. Most of the residents of the Dallas metro live north of 635.

progressiveboy
07-05-2011, 06:49 AM

Was in Dallas over the weekend and noticed the Dallas skyline is starting to show her age. All of the tallest skyscrapers in Dallas were built in the early-mid 80's, and Dallas hasn't seen a major skycraper constructed in about 25 years. Yea, she is getting a facelift with the Victory Park development in uptown, with mid-high rise condos, but what happened why the stall of skyscraper construction? Particularly Office? They broke ground about 3 months ago in DT Dallas on the new 42 story Museum Tower a highrise condominium tower with penthouse suites starting at 2.5 million. My understanding is they are nearly sold out.

G.Walker
07-05-2011, 07:13 AM
They broke ground about 3 months ago in DT Dallas on the new 42 story Museum Tower a highrise condominium tower with penthouse suites starting at 2.5 million. My understanding is they are nearly sold out.

I am aware of that, but I was talking more along the lines of office development...BG918 pretty much hit in on the head. It seemed to me that downtown Dallas ran out of room in the late 80's and that's why you started to see 20-25 story office development sprawl to north of 635, and spilled over into Richardson/Plano area. Moreover, south Dallas didn't see any type of development, south and southeast Dallas is really blighted...

bluedogok
07-05-2011, 07:23 PM
I am aware of that, but I was talking more along the lines of office development...BG918 pretty much hit in on the head. It seemed to me that downtown Dallas ran out of room in the late 80's and that's why you started to see 20-25 story office development sprawl to north of 635, and spilled over into Richardson/Plano area. Moreover, south Dallas didn't see any type of development, south and southeast Dallas is really blighted...
There was plenty of room in Downtown Dallas in 91-93, I could see all the surface parking lots from my 27th floor window in the Arts District, some of the parking lots still had the floor tile from the two and three story buildings torn down.. There was an article in Texas Architect magazine during the same period that stated something like 40% of all property in the Dallas CBD (at that time) were surface parking lots because of the oil boom era destruction for new buildings and the oil bust happening before they were all built.

I remember when EDS and the "new" JC Penney campus were the only things that far north.

G.Walker
10-28-2011, 08:51 AM
Nice developments proposed for downtown Omaha, I am a fan and envious of Proposal 2:

http://www.omaha.com/article/20111028/NEWS01/710289924#3-visions-for-downtown-site

Proposal 1
http://www.omaha.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=OW&Date=20111028&Category=NEWS01&ArtNo=710289924&Ref=AR&maxw=600&maxh=400
Proposal 2
http://www.omaha.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=OW&Date=20111028&Category=NEWS01&ArtNo=710289924&Ref=V1&maxw=600&maxh=400
Proposal 3
http://www.omaha.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=OW&Date=20111028&Category=NEWS01&ArtNo=710289924&Ref=V2&maxw=600&maxh=400
Masterplans
http://www.omaha.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=OW&Date=20111028&Category=NEWS01&ArtNo=710289924&Ref=V4&maxw=600&maxh=400

Steve
10-28-2011, 09:26 AM
Back to Charlotte ... it's a good guide for how OKC can jump to Tier 2. Pete was correct in his tier break-down. I'd say OKC is on the high-end of Tier 3 and really is posed to jump to Tier 2 in a decade or so, while Tulsa is Tier 3 and I'm not seeing anything that will change that in the foreseeable future without major league sports addition, air travel upgrade, downtown progress, etc.
Tier status isn't just about numbers - it's about amenities, reputation, etc. And when it comes to the intangibles, Charlotte made the jump in the early to mid-1990s about the same time that Dallas made the jump to Tier 1.

G.Walker
10-28-2011, 10:04 AM
Back to Charlotte ... it's a good guide for how OKC can jump to Tier 2. Pete was correct in his tier break-down. I'd say OKC is on the high-end of Tier 3 and really is posed to jump to Tier 2 in a decade or so, while Tulsa is Tier 3 and I'm not seeing anything that will change that in the foreseeable future without major league sports addition, air travel upgrade, downtown progress, etc.
Tier status isn't just about numbers - it's about amenities, reputation, etc. And when it comes to the intangibles, Charlotte made the jump in the early to mid-1990s about the same time that Dallas made the jump to Tier 1.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. A major reason for the prosperity of Charlotte, especially in the downtown area, was by private investments by Bank of America and Wachovia. Most of the tallest skyscrapers built in downtown Charlotte were financed by Bank of America or Wachovia. Therefore, let's hope Devon, Sandridge, and Chesapeake will continue to fuel the downtown area, after their major projects are completed.

MDot
10-28-2011, 10:14 AM
Yeah, their Bank of America is our Devon when it comes to downtown, especially around Devon. I believe we're a blessed city to have 3 companies like Devon, Chesapeake, and SandRidge.

CaptDave
10-28-2011, 10:40 AM
Yeah, their Bank of America is our Devon when it comes to downtown, especially around Devon. I believe we're a blessed city to have 3 companies like Devon, Chesapeake, and SandRidge.

And soon to add Continental Resources.

I wonder if Oklahoma might become a player in the natural gas powered electric power generation industry. Calpine has one combined cycle natural gas power plant in Coweta. It isn't as cool as solar or wind in the green energy hierarchy, but natural gas fired combined cycle plants are very efficient and have very low emissions.

G.Walker
11-10-2011, 11:43 AM
Talk about a big setback, major highly anticipated 4 skyscraper development in downtown Raleigh scaled back dramatically:

http://www.raleighpublicrecord.org/news/city-council/2011/10/21/edison-plans-scaled-down-but-inching-forward/

From This:

http://www.jdavisarchitects.com/portfolio/slideshows/mixed_use_retail/images/edison3.jpg

To This:

http://www.raleighpublicrecord.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/edison_apartments_rendering2.jpg

MDot
11-10-2011, 12:25 PM
Talk about a big setback, major highly anticipated 4 skyscraper development in downtown Raleigh scaled back dramatically:

http://www.raleighpublicrecord.org/news/city-council/2011/10/21/edison-plans-scaled-down-but-inching-forward/

From This:

http://www.jdavisarchitects.com/portfolio/slideshows/mixed_use_retail/images/edison3.jpg

To This:

http://www.raleighpublicrecord.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/edison_apartments_rendering2.jpg

That's disappointing. But apparently the people of Raleigh like it better than the skyscrapers.

Spartan
11-14-2011, 12:22 AM
^ That switcharoo is almost cruel.

Austin and Denver are the two biggest beneficiaries of California's continued economic woes. Lots of companies and individuals heading their direction.

Also, real estate development always finds an outlet. There are so many people involved in that industry that projects have to happen somewhere and when a certain segment (currently office space) and/or region (really, just about everywhere in the U.S.) suffers, the money merely shifts to somewhere else (apartments/hotels in various locales that have fared a little better in the recent climate). Plus, there has been a tremendous boom in lots of places outside North America: Dubai (which has obviously peaked), Moscow, China, Germany, etc.

The herd of developers and investors gets thinned a bit in these downturns, but usually not for long. Real Estate is in the blood of many and it's a sexy business that attracts many of the rich and powerful. You're seeing a few cities do pretty well now but in another 10 years you'll see another upswing in this cycle and there will be lots more activity just about everywhere.

Yeah, Moscow is insane. I was there this spring and the development going on there was stunning to me. I've never been to Dubai but I imagine it to be similar, and I'm not sure if anywhere else in Europe matched it.

Snowman
11-14-2011, 12:41 AM

From This:

To This:

The second rendering looks like it was done by a college intern with no experience in 3D modeling software.

Spartan
11-14-2011, 06:17 PM
Hey, I can do better than that personally.

dmoor82
11-15-2011, 01:32 PM
look what Nashville has in the works to compliment their convention center and Omni hotel,a proposed 700'footer!http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1457413http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c22/smeagolsfree/View004-B-2.jpg

G.Walker
11-15-2011, 01:59 PM
after reading the article, there are more high-rises in the works! so jealous of Nashville right now...

Bellaboo
11-15-2011, 02:26 PM
after reading the article, there are more high-rises in the works! so jealous of Nashville right now...

There was a kid on another board from Nashville that was really peod about OKC having an 850 footer.... so don't get too jealous.

G.Walker
11-15-2011, 02:32 PM
I am not jealous over just one tower, I am jealous of the continued momentum of Nashville, as it continues to grow and develop an urban environment.

http://8ebb8e4.activerain.com/post/2034608/nashville-tn-condos-trendy-nashville-high-rise-developments-nashville-luxury-condos

Bellaboo
11-15-2011, 02:38 PM
We all like a bit of change, and I think in the next 2 to 3 years we'll see SandRidge and others building multiple structures....we're doing okay ouselves.

And when we see the maps3 start kicking in with development, it will snowball.

Bellaboo
11-15-2011, 02:43 PM
Just a few years ago, Nashville was on top of the world with their Signature Tower (1000+ footer). Mixed use condo hotel, sure enough it fell through and doubt if the scaled back version will ever be built.

dmoor82
11-24-2011, 06:48 PM
Nashville is on FIRE!http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=195037 http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c22/smeagolsfree/Nashville_NE.jpg

dmoor82
11-24-2011, 06:50 PM
I think Nashville has 3 other towers proposed all over 250'ft tall,plus the two I've allready posted.Thats five towers ranging from 260'ft to 700'ft!G.Walkers above post has a link with even more midrise developments,Ohh how I wish OKC had a boom like that!

Spartan
11-24-2011, 07:22 PM
One difference with Nashville is that their economy is producing a lot more white-collar jobs, and as a result, their city is attracting a greater proportion of college degrees than we are. That's going to correlate to a stronger head-wind in the sail of their downtown real estate.

Just the facts
11-24-2011, 08:08 PM
Nashvillle growth sparks mass (rail) transit talk

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/print-edition/2011/11/04/nashvilles-growth-mass-transit-talk.html

By 2035, Nashville’s population is estimated to reach 2.6 million. That’s bigger than current-day Charlotte, Denver or Portland.

The way in which Music City grows will be shaped by something lacking in Nashville but common in all three of those cities: a modern and effective mass-transit system.

A Metro Nashville-commissioned transit study is under way exploring the feasibility of a modern streetcar, light rail or bus rapid transit system along the Broadway/West End Corridor stretching from Five Points in East Nashville to White Bridge Road.

However, they already have a regional rail system.

http://www.musiccitystar.org/commuterrail.html

G.Walker
01-04-2012, 10:47 AM
My dark horse city for downtown development progress is Wichita, yea I said Wichita!

Recently Completed (2010) Intrust Bank Arena:

http://media.kansas.com/smedia/2009/09/17/13/091609arena_th1_copy.slideshow_main.prod_affiliate .80.jpg

WaterWalk Place Mixed Use Development (http://www.wichitawaterwalk.com):

http://www.acidesignstudio.com/media/images/12LJKi_Em_80.jpg

G.Walker
01-04-2012, 10:52 AM
Source: www.downtownwichita.org

UNDER CONSTRUCTION / PLANNING

Hyatt Regency Wichita
Cost - $1.6 Million
This investment marks the final phase of a multi-phase expansion and renovation of the riverfront hotel. This phase encompasses approximately 35,000 square feet of meeting space improvements with a completion scheduled for the first quarter of 2012.

J.P. Weigand and Sons Realtors
Cost - $500,000
J.P. Weigand and Sons, Inc is renovating their Downtown Corporate Office at 150 N. Market Street. Work on the new façade along with interior renovations of the three-building complex is scheduled for completion in January 2012.

Bite-Me-Bar-B-Q
Cost - NA
Bite-Me-Bar-B-Q has purchased 130 N. St. Francis and plans to open their restaurant in the first quarter of 2012. This project is part of a number of capital investments underway along the St. Francis Street corridor between 2nd Street and Douglas Avenue.

Kansas Health Foundation Expansion
Cost - $9 Million
The Kansas Health Foundation is expanding their Douglas Avenue offices which will include about 25,000 square feet of meeting rooms and headquarters space for the Kansas Leadership Center. Construction will commence in 2012. The project is utilizing their current surface parking lot on Douglas Avenue for the expansion.

The LUX
Cost - $20 Million
The LUX is the redevelopment of the Kansas Gas & Electric Building, most recently serving as the headquarters of Protection One. The project will be a mixed- use development offering office, residential and luxury terraces overlooking the City's skyline. The project is scheduled for completion in 2013.

Ambassador Hotel
Cost - $30 Million
A development team is renovating the historic 14-story Douglas Avenue Building into a 117-room Boutique Hotel. This historic building is located at the corner of Douglas Avenue and Broadway. The City of Wichita will construct a parking garage with approximately 272 spaces and 8,400 square feet of retail space facing William Street. The City will also construct a new urban that will connect the new garage and the historic hotel. The block’s alley will be redesigned to make it more compatible for pedestrians and vehicles, as well as adding to Downtown's mid-block circulation patterns. The project will open December 2012.

Douglas Avenue/Market Street
Cost – N/A
An investment group purchased in the summer of 2011 three key Downtown sites; a development site located on Douglas Avenue (between Market and Main), the other on Market Street – 62,910 square foot Board of Trade Building and the previous Merrill Lynch Building at the corner of Douglas Avenue and Market. The investment group is finalizing their development concepts with an anticipated announcement in the first quarter of 2012.

Victoria Park Apartments
Cost – N/A
The project is located at 612 E. Douglas Avenue and will offer 18,000 square feet of residential units with ground floor commercial uses. The building is also in the same block as the Zelman’s project which is under a mixed-use conversion by the same investment group. Victoria Park Apartments are scheduled for completion in 2012.

Douglas Avenue – Streetscape Development
Cost – $6 Million
The Design Workshop firm of Colorado has derived streetscape design concepts for Wichita’s signature corridor, Douglas Avenue. The design concepts will be presented for City Council adoption in January 2012.

Central Family YMCA
Cost - $23 Million
The Wichita YMCA is constructing a new Downtown location consisting of 110,000 square feet. The facility will house the system's corporate offices as well as a new state of the art work-out and activity facility. The project is developing approximately ¾ of a city block adjacent to City Hall and the Sedgwick County Courthouse. The new facility is expected to serve 30,000 people throughout the area. There are more than 103,000 people within a three-mile radius of the new Downtown YMCA location. The Greater YMCA serves more than 250,000 kids and adults. The project will open in 2012.

The Catholic Diocese – St. Mary Cathedral
Cost - $16 Million
The Catholic Diocese is restoring the historic St. Mary's Cathedral located at Broadway and Central. The renovations include restoring the 105 foot dome and incorporating additional lighting to highlight its architectural details. All buildings on the campus will be connected by a new covered structure, which will serve as a gathering space as well. The renovations and construction will be completed by the end of 2012 to celebrate the Cathedral's 100-year anniversary.

Zelman’s Building
Cost – estimated $1.7 Million
Located at the corner of St. Francis and Douglas Avenue, this project is converting an historic structure to have nine residential units on the second floor and first floor space for either retail/restaurant. Pre-leasing is underway for the residential units. The project will open December 2011.

Sedgwick County/ City of Wichita/ Rotary Foundation/ Coleman
Cost – Approximately $2.3 Million
This project has four public/private sector partners. Sedgwick County is redeveloping the previous Coleman Warehouse site to accommodate parking for the INTRUST Bank Arena. The Downtown Rotary Club Foundation is providing a new urban park celebrating their centennial year and Coleman is contributing funds for a monument to commemorate Coleman's first manufacturing site. The City of Wichita is implementing new streets and streetscape for two consecutive city blocks (see below). The project will open in December of 2011.

St. Francis Streetscape Improvements
Cost – Approximately $2.4 Million
The City of Wichita is reconstructing St. Francis Street from Douglas Avenue to 2nd Street. This streetscape transformation will convert the existing one-way configuration to two-way and also provide angled parking. In addition to improved infrastructure, the streetscape improvements will add amenities such as street trees, new lighting, benches and decorative pavers. The revitalized streetscape will complement the mix of retail, restaurants and interactive public spaces that are emerging along the corridor as well as provide an important pedestrian link between the INTRUST Bank Arena and Old Town. The entire project will be completed spring 2012.

Pixius Corporation
Cost – Approximately $3 Million
Pixius Corporation has purchased 301 N. St. Francis Street for their new corporate headquarters. The firm is targeting early 2012 for project completion.

Commerce Street Residential Project
Cost – estimated $500,000
Located at 416 S. Commerce Street, the project will retrofit an historic building for mixed-use. The project will offer commercial/retail space on the first floor and four apartments on the second floor. The project is slated for completion in 2012.

Wichita WaterWalk
Cost - $68 million (to date investment)
The WaterWalk project is creating a new destination for Downtown Wichita. The project offers commercial space, residential, plazas and gardens, destination retail/restaurant locations and direct connectivity to the Arkansas River. In November 2009 the first residents of WaterWalk Place moved into the condominiums. Other commercial developments such as Gander Mountain, the headquarters for the Wichita Area Association of Realtors and the new WaterWalk Fairfield Inn have been completed.

Exchange Place and Bitting Buildings
Cost - $48 million
Real Development is finalizing plans to retrofit the Exchange Place and Bitting Buildings to offer 207 residential units located in the heart of Douglas Avenue. The development will incorporate a parking garage, office and retail space. Construction is scheduled to commence in 2012.

Wichita Executive Center
Cost – $1.2 million (to date investment)
Progress continues on the Wichita Executive Center. Previously the SC Telecom building, the project offers quality office space in downtown Wichita.

G.Walker
01-04-2012, 11:05 AM
The Ambassador Hotel Renovation:

http://www.bizjournals.com/wichita/blog/2011/12/petition-on-hotel-tax-for-ambassador.html?page=all

G.Walker
01-04-2012, 11:08 AM
Project Downtown:

http://www.bizjournals.com/wichita/blog/2011/09/american-planning-association.html