View Full Version : Nothing To Do In OKC, Kevin Durant Agrees

UnFrSaKn
06-21-2011, 11:59 AM
http://www.news9.com/story/14948947/nothing-to-do-in-okc-kevin-durant-agrees

*Posted: Jun 21, 2011 11:14 AM
Updated: Jun 21, 2011 11:40 AM

Ever wonder why KD leaves OKC in the off season? A one word answer explains it all.
News9.com

OKLAHOMA CITY— The city of Oklahoma City, as well as NBA fans throughout the world love Kevin Durant. But, does KD love the city as much as the city loves him?

Recently, while walking into a venue in Los Angeles, Oklahoma City forward Kevin Durant was asked: "What's there to do in Oklahoma for fun?"*

Durant quickly responded with "Nothing."

Lord Helmet
06-21-2011, 12:17 PM
I could care less where they go in the off season as long as they come back ready to get after it again.

Thunder
06-21-2011, 12:19 PM
Looks like he will join the Lakers soon.

BrettM2
06-21-2011, 01:00 PM
He's already come back and said he just didn't want to speak to TMZ or their ilk. He just signed a 5 year extension, said he preferred OKC over LA, and gushes about us in all his interviews. Give him a bit a slack.

Snowman
06-21-2011, 01:21 PM
Looks like he will join the Lakers soon.

Any links to why they would let him out of the contract he signed last year that has him playing here till 2015, really who in the league is good enough for that especially the Lakers as most of the big names look ready to retire soon. I have no doubt the Lakers can rebuild over time but really they are a mess verse coming back to a title contender for the next few years and due to the salary cap few teams if could pay more to him.

Thunder
06-21-2011, 01:21 PM
Oh, my hero, staying with us for 5 more years. Can we make it 10? 15? 25? :-)

OKCisOK4me
06-21-2011, 01:32 PM
It wasn't even that long ago that he put on his Facebook that he loves OKC waaaaaaaaaaaay much more than a city like LA because it's laid back and cool like he is. He also mentioned the lack of traffic.

Quit trying to be sensitive to his words...

earlywinegareth
06-21-2011, 03:33 PM
If I were a 20-somethin multi-millionaire with a couple months free time? Forget LA, you would find me chillin' in Rio or the French Riviera.

Laramie
06-21-2011, 04:07 PM
http://www.news9.com/story/14948947/nothing-to-do-in-okc-kevin-durant-agrees

*Posted: Jun 21, 2011 11:14 AM
Updated: Jun 21, 2011 11:40 AM

Ever wonder why KD leaves OKC in the off season? A one word answer explains it all.
News9.com

OKLAHOMA CITY— The city of Oklahoma City, as well as NBA fans throughout the world love Kevin Durant. But, does KD love the city as much as the city loves him?

Recently, while walking into a venue in Los Angeles, Oklahoma City forward Kevin Durant was asked: "What's there to do in Oklahoma for fun?"*

Durant quickly responded with "Nothing."

SO WHAT?

At lease he's not getting into trouble.

Bill Robertson
06-22-2011, 10:30 AM
If I were KD I too would say something short to get a TMZ mic out of my face. He meant nothing by it. "Nothin" is the new "No comment".

HOT ROD
06-24-2011, 04:25 AM
yep, I think the 'nothing' was more just to get them out of his face.

Why keep trying to defend something, jsut say what they want to hear and then they get out of your face.

What is there to do in LA?

bretthexum
06-24-2011, 12:18 PM
Gosh, some people really have an inferiority complex about OKC. Who cares if Durant (or any Thunder player) likes living here or not? And who really cares if they don't? I personally like the northwoods 10 times better than OKC. Does that make me a bad person?

Seems like some people just go off the deep end if someone says one negative thing about OKC.

Some people like the slow pace of life in OKC. Some like the crazy big cities. To each their own.

Jzyehoshua
06-27-2011, 01:38 PM
I don't blame him. The city has emphasized watching attractions, fairgrounds, memorials, and museums, and underemphasized sports participation venues like basketball courts, baseball fields, football fields, etc. As an athlete myself, you want to be DOING something, not watching something. It's the difference between someone who wants to watch TV and someone who wants to go play sports, between someone who wants to go on a roller coaster, and someone who wants to participate in games of skill like a baseball throwing fair event, or trying to ring the bell with a hammer. It's nice the city has a YMCA, but with all the warm weather, there ought to be more sports involvement opportunities for OKC residents. As a fellow athlete, I sympathize with KD. Furthermore, a one-word comment that may simply be bluntly honest is by no means a diss on the city, nor should it be taken as such. He simply answered the question, and certainly did not spend 10 minutes bashing the city with the answer...

ljbab728
06-27-2011, 09:21 PM
I don't blame him. The city has emphasized watching attractions, fairgrounds, memorials, and museums, and underemphasized sports participation venues like basketball courts, baseball fields, football fields, etc. As an athlete myself, you want to be DOING something, not watching something. It's the difference between someone who wants to watch TV and someone who wants to go play sports, between someone who wants to go on a roller coaster, and someone who wants to participate in games of skill like a baseball throwing fair event, or trying to ring the bell with a hammer. It's nice the city has a YMCA, but with all the warm weather, there ought to be more sports involvement opportunities for OKC residents. As a fellow athlete, I sympathize with KD. Furthermore, a one-word comment that may simply be bluntly honest is by no means a diss on the city, nor should it be taken as such. He simply answered the question, and certainly did not spend 10 minutes bashing the city with the answer...
What sports activities are you wanting to participate in that aren't available in OKC?

Snowman
06-27-2011, 11:38 PM
This was before the Perkins trade

http://youtu.be/4_62ZDU0zTA

kevinpate
06-28-2011, 06:40 AM
rain or no rain, for some reason, tennis is on my mind. weird thought for a pudge.

Jzyehoshua
06-28-2011, 09:46 AM
What sports activities are you wanting to participate in that aren't available in OKC?

I wouldn't say they aren't available, but I do think the city needs more sports venues. We could use more baseball fields, basketball courts, and football fields. For such wonderful weather, there's just that not many sports opportunities for citizens to get involved in due to a lack of fields available, and there's even an ordinance prohibiting basketball in the streets, so street hoops aren't possible either. I'm just not aware of many examples of baseball fields, basketball courts, or football fields located near the downtown OKC area. It would help with community engagement, giving people a way to be active and improving themselves, and maybe even reduce healthcare costs by providing a healthier, more active citizenry. Lacking such areas, I'd agree with Kevin Durant that there's really not much to DO (key word, as opposed to watch) in OKC.

ljbab728
06-28-2011, 09:29 PM
I wouldn't say they aren't available, but I do think the city needs more sports venues. We could use more baseball fields, basketball courts, and football fields. For such wonderful weather, there's just that not many sports opportunities for citizens to get involved in due to a lack of fields available, and there's even an ordinance prohibiting basketball in the streets, so street hoops aren't possible either. I'm just not aware of many examples of baseball fields, basketball courts, or football fields located near the downtown OKC area. It would help with community engagement, giving people a way to be active and improving themselves, and maybe even reduce healthcare costs by providing a healthier, more active citizenry. Lacking such areas, I'd agree with Kevin Durant that there's really not much to DO (key word, as opposed to watch) in OKC.

I really have never heard that a lack of playing fields has prevented anyone from playing baseball, basketball, or football in OKC if they are interested. Just because you don't know where to go has nothing to do with that. Please note -" http://www.okc.gov/parks/parks_maps/list.html ". The numerous athletic fields maintained by youth organizations are not included in that list. There are actually some facilities in parks along the river in the downtown area. Are they at Main and Robinson? No, but they qualify as downtown. We also have the prospect of some athletic fields possibly being included eventually in our new Central Park downtown. As for street basketball, I thing the ban is appropriate. Who needs to be worrying about dodging a child chasing a basketball while driving down the street. I also suspect that Kevin might be able to find somewhere to play basketball besides in the middle of a street so I don't think that is a big concern for him.

Larry OKC
07-03-2011, 09:15 PM
Know that playing fields were planned for the MAPS 3 Park (in the lower section), think on the other side of I-40 but may have to wait till the end of the MAPS 3 construction cycle if they go with the plan they talked about recently. As far as current facilities,m I don't know but as someone suggested, check out the City's site for info.

Questor
07-04-2011, 08:44 AM

I think this is a valid point. I forget which list it was, but a couple years ago someone posted one of those city rankings, and one of the criteria they used was public sports parks available. They listed the data so you could see how we stacked up, and for a city of our size, compared to others, we had WAY fewer basketball courts, tennis courts, etc. Larry OKC is right, I remember seeing that facilities like this were planned as part of MAPS 3 (probably because of the study). Indoor tennis courts was another problem area, I believe we only have one or two in the entire metro (all the rest are racket ball courts). Now I remember, it was a study about how healthy a city was, and the emphasis on OKC was that we like to watch and talk about sports a lot, but hardly anyone is actually playing sports, working out, etc. unless you're a little kid. The study also said we had too few health clubs for our size.

The good news is that city planners seem to be aware of the study and there is some hope that they want to change that.

Questor
07-04-2011, 08:53 AM
By the way you might check out Norman, they tend to have lots of college age/adult leagues. It's a college town so there's always a supply of people wanting to do things like that there.

Bunty
07-06-2011, 01:29 AM
If I were a 20-somethin multi-millionaire with a couple months free time? Forget LA, you would find me chillin' in Rio or the French Riviera.

So probably kids who live in LA say there is nothing to do in LA.

venture
07-06-2011, 09:45 AM
So probably kids who live in LA say there is nothing to do in LA.

Pretty much. I visited the place I grew up a couple months ago and always said that there wasn't anything to do there. Stayed busy for a week nonstop. Sometimes people just need to get away for a bit and then realize what is actually there.