View Full Version : Short trip to Kansas

SoonerQueen
06-18-2011, 10:15 PM
We went to Kansas this week for a very short super mini vacation. We went to Hutchinson to the Cosmosphere Museum to see the movie Tornado Alley.Sean Casey filmed and produced the movie. He is one of the storm chasers on the tv show Storm Chasers. Amazing movie with great photography. We also went to the Kansas Underground Salt Museum. We went 650 feet underground and went through a salt mine. It was very interesting to be that far underground. I had never heard of the place before, but it was very interesting. They store many of the original copies of movies, some of the costumes from movies, and it was very fascinating. My husband played 106 holes of golf in 2 days. We had a wonderful morning thunderstorm on Thursday morning and it was in the 70's. I wish some of their rain would come down to us.

dmoor82
06-19-2011, 10:46 AM
I just Love Hutch,only about 45min-1hr NW of Wichita depending on how fast you drive!Hutch has a very dense core,beautiful neighborhoods and very nice downtown.Hutch has attractions like the underground salt museum and cosmosphere with iMAX and also has great shopping downtown and even has a decent size mall,this city is also home to the Kansas State Fair!Hope you had fun!!!!

Dustin
06-19-2011, 10:47 AM
Ive never visited Kansas. I've driven through on my way to another state but I've never stopped to enjoy anything.

Glad you had a great time.

SoonerQueen
06-19-2011, 01:27 PM
We had a good time. We did miss going to Yoder though and getting some Amish baked goods. Sadly as I was driving my husband to his golf course we passed some police officers removing crime scene tape from around a house. Turns out a young mother had been murdered there a few hours before.Things like that happen everywhere nowadays.

dmoor82
06-19-2011, 01:40 PM
We had a good time. We did miss going to Yoder though and getting some Amish baked goods. Sadly as I was driving my husband to his golf course we passed some police officers removing crime scene tape from around a house. Turns out a young mother had been murdered there a few hours before.Things like that happen everywhere nowadays.

^^Know what ticks me off?People not moving over to the left lane for the Amish buggy's and going 70-75 mph right next to them!I'm sure some tradgic accidents involving Amish buggy's have happened across America!And yes crime happens everwhere,just sad!

kevinpate
06-19-2011, 02:09 PM
Ive never visited Kansas. I've driven through on my way to another state but I've never stopped to enjoy anything. ...

Ditto save for a couple of business trips to Wichita back in the summer of 80, and one seek&find a fella in Liberal in 94. Everything else was simply passing through, and often at night. One thing I did learn in 01 that I never noticed previously was how plentiful Sunflower fields were over in the sw part of the state. Seemed to go on forever when we decided to run north and then go KS to CO instead of going west through either of the panhandles and then turning north.

rcjunkie
06-19-2011, 04:29 PM
Just returned yesterday from a 4 day stay in Lawerence (son had football camp at U. of Kansas). Was really suprised how hilly Lawerence is, the campus was beautiful and lots of historical sights in and around Lawerence.

ou48A
06-19-2011, 07:41 PM
I lived in far western Kansas for a few years in my mid 20’s.
At the time it was before the internet and before decent cable TV,,,,, it seemed like a life time.

But the grain elevators in Hutchinson are huge and are impressive structures.

ou48A
06-19-2011, 07:50 PM
Just returned yesterday from a 4 day stay in Lawerence (son had football camp at U. of Kansas). Was really suprised how hilly Lawerence is, the campus was beautiful and lots of historical sights in and around Lawerence.

Lawrence and the KU campus have some very pretty fall foliage.
I have seen this when attending OU KU football games.

However Ice / snow and the hills make winter time in Lawrence extra bad.
If I remember correctly the hills in far NE Kansas were formed by glaciers.

GOT LAWRENCE ON THE KAW

MikeLucky
06-20-2011, 08:52 AM
We went to Kansas this week for a very short super mini vacation. We went to Hutchinson to the Cosmosphere Museum to see the movie Tornado Alley.Sean Casey filmed and produced the movie. He is one of the storm chasers on the tv show Storm Chasers. Amazing movie with great photography. We also went to the Kansas Underground Salt Museum. We went 650 feet underground and went through a salt mine. It was very interesting to be that far underground. I had never heard of the place before, but it was very interesting. They store many of the original copies of movies, some of the costumes from movies, and it was very fascinating. My husband played 106 holes of golf in 2 days. We had a wonderful morning thunderstorm on Thursday morning and it was in the 70's. I wish some of their rain would come down to us.

Was he fortunate enough to be playing Prairie Dunes?

SoonerQueen
06-22-2011, 10:37 PM
He played Prairie Dunes in Newton, and then played Sand Creek Golf Course in Hutchinson. He liked them both but loved Sand Creek.

MikeLucky
06-23-2011, 07:39 AM
He played Prairie Dunes in Newton, and then played Sand Creek Golf Course in Hutchinson. He liked them both but loved Sand Creek.

Actually Prairie Dunes is in Hutch and is one of the best golf courses in the country... VERY EXPENSIVE to play.