View Full Version : Newspaper History

Doug Loudenback
06-18-2011, 10:15 PM
I've recently become acquainted with Jim Kyle on this forum. He was a reporter of the Oklahoma City Times and then the Daily Oklahoman. Jim was employed by Opubco between 1955-1959 and this 1st article gives a bit of his history as well as the other city papers. I wouldn't say that he was ever a "major" reporter for the Times or Oklahoman, but he surely does have a story to tell, and he tells it very well.

This 1st article may come to be seen as his "coming out" article, and it's good to hear what he has to say. See http://dougdawg.blogspot.com/2011/06/memoirs-thoughts-of-oklahoman-reporter.html.

ljbab728
06-18-2011, 10:23 PM
I've recently become acquainted with Jim Kyle on this forum. He was a reporter of the Oklahoma City Times and then the Daily Oklahoman. Jim was employed by Opubco between 1955-1959 and this 1st article gives a bit of his history as well as the other city papers. I wouldn't say that he was ever a "major" reporter for the Times or Oklahoman, but he surely does have a story to tell, and he tells it very well.

This 1st article may come to be seen as his "coming out" article, and it's good to hear what he has to say. See http://dougdawg.blogspot.com/2011/06/memoirs-thoughts-of-oklahoman-reporter.html.

Doug, that is a very entertaining and enlightening article. I'm anxious to hear more from him.

Jim Kyle
06-19-2011, 11:37 AM
Doug, that is a very entertaining and enlightening article. I'm anxious to hear more from him.

Never fear; I have several more in the pipeline! Doug made me rediscover the writing bug (which I thought had died back in 1997) and I've not been able to stop, since...

Doug discovered this morning that I had made a couple of factual errors in the pre-1940 dates, and we're working to get them corrected. Shows how unreliable one's memory gets after a long enough time!

USG'60
06-19-2011, 12:20 PM
Keep it coming Jim and Doug, and we will gobble it up.

UnclePete
06-19-2011, 04:19 PM
Am certainly enjoying Jim Kyle's (and Doug's) article about the newspapers. Both of you would enjoy "Me and My Big Mouth" by Walter M. Harrison published in 1954 by Britton Printing Company.

Steve
06-19-2011, 05:47 PM
I'd say that's required reading for anyone interested in this topic.

BlackmoreRulz
06-19-2011, 07:14 PM
Mr Kyle, did you happen to know John Gumm?

Jim Kyle
06-19-2011, 07:54 PM

I knew John quite well; in fact I mentioned him in the article. He and I worked together at Dee's Photo Supply downtown immediately after I got back from Korea, and he was a close friend for my time at OPubCo and long afterward. In fact, he and Cliff King were my closest friends in the photo department!

Jim Kyle
06-19-2011, 07:56 PM
I'd say that's required reading for anyone interested in this topic.

For some reason I was unaware of The Skipper's book -- but now that I know about it I'll have to find a copy!

BlackmoreRulz
06-19-2011, 08:02 PM
I knew John quite well; in fact I mentioned him in the article. He and I worked together at Dee's Photo Supply downtown immediately after I got back from Korea, and he was a close friend for my time at OPubCo and long afterward. In fact, he and Cliff King were my closest friends in the photo department!

I grew up with one of his son's, we used to spend a lot of time over at his house. What an incredibly intelligent and fun man, Nora was the best cook ever.

Jim Kyle
07-07-2011, 01:34 PM
Speaking of newspaper history, the largest newspaper in England will shut down this Sunday, as the result of a major scandal. Full details can be found at http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14070733

The amazine thing about this story is not that the publication is dying, but that it happened so rapidly. The staff got only three days notice!

And FWIW, I believe the person making this decision also owns Fox News. the Wall Street Journal, and many other media organizations.

RadicalModerate
07-07-2011, 02:02 PM
There is a thread on this site titled, "Are You A Native Oklahoman?".
I think an equally interesting question might be, "What Attracted You to OKC Talk?"

My answer would be: Previously encountering, elsewhere, Doug Loudenback's interest in documenting--both in pictures and words--the history of Oklahoma City. (BTW: Good Commentary in The Gazette this week Doug).

Add to that, the contributions of Jim Kyle.

Thank you both.

Speaking of Newspaper History . . .

I think that the beginning of the demise of The Daily Oklahoma was when they cut loose that "travel-the-state-and-write-interesting-articles-about-it" guy. I am ashamed that I can't remember his name, but I always enjoyed his stories.

(When I called to complain/request a reason regarding his exit, even the operator/customer service rep couldn't say anything except, "I'm sorry too.")

Jim Kyle
07-07-2011, 02:45 PM
I think that the beginning of the demise of The Daily Oklahoma was when they cut loose that "travel-the-state-and-write-interesting-articles-about-it" guy. I am ashamed that I can't remember his name, but I always enjoyed his stories.Nope, it was before that -- when they brought in almost an entire new management team, I think from Atlanta. The fellow you recall was one of those imports -- and probably the best. The other folk brought in at that time made some rather drastic changes in the appearance of the paper, including the half-sized magazine sections on several days of the week, and in general turned the paper upside down.

I think the intent was to bring it "up to date" but the actuality was that it didn't seem to attract any younger readers (wonder how many people under 50 even read a newspaper at all, and if they do, not the National Enquirer or Weekly World News) and managed to alienate many of us who liked it the way it was.

ctchandler
07-07-2011, 02:55 PM
Jim,
Yes, Rupert Murdock owns it and his son is president and CEO of European Operations.
C. T.

Speaking of newspaper history, the largest newspaper in England will shut down this Sunday, as the result of a major scandal. Full details can be found at http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14070733

The amazine thing about this story is not that the publication is dying, but that it happened so rapidly. The staff got only three days notice!

And FWIW, I believe the person making this decision also owns Fox News. the Wall Street Journal, and many other media organizations.

USG '60
07-07-2011, 03:15 PM
Rupert will come out smelling like a rose even if he sells the kid down the river. What wonderful human beings.....

whorton
10-15-2012, 11:09 AM

Amazing, I had just posted on the Drive in theatres on NW Hiway thread, that John was the original photographer of the color picture of the Cinema 70.

Regards,
Wesley Horton