View Full Version : Mein Gott! Ice Age Coming?

jmarkross
06-15-2011, 06:31 PM
You decide...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/06/14/ice_age/

Thunder
06-15-2011, 10:21 PM
http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=26049&p=439000#post439000 :LolLolLol

HewenttoJared
06-16-2011, 08:12 AM
No. The forcing from the Maunder Minumum(the worst-case thing that might be happening) was only a couple henrys of a degree centigrade. The forcing from our emissions is several degrees centigrade.

There was actually a paper last year about what would happen if another event like the Maunder minimum were to happen again. It was something like -0.1 C in 2100. Very small, I'll see if i can find the paper.

HewenttoJared
06-16-2011, 08:16 AM
GRL, last year
http://www.pik-potsdam.de/~stefan/Publications/Journals/feulner_rahmstorf_2010.pdf

Bunty
06-16-2011, 11:04 AM
So are conservatives rooting for an ice age coming or will they be disputing that, too, if speculation moves that way? I trust they will be in dispute, if fighting an ice age means raising taxes and making more and stricter regulations.

jmarkross
06-16-2011, 11:58 AM
So are conservatives rooting for an ice age coming or will they be disputing that, too, if speculation moves that way? I trust they will be in dispute, if fighting an ice age means raising taxes and making more and stricter regulations.

"ka-thunk...ka-thunk...ka-thunk...ka-thunk..."

Broken record. (a 78-rpm at that)

PennyQuilts
06-16-2011, 12:10 PM
When I was in my late teens, early twenties, the coming ice age was all the rage. Imagine my surprise to find out we were going to burn up, instead.

Bunty
06-16-2011, 12:40 PM
Yeah, they probably blamed the huge tornado oubreaks in 1973 and 1974 on the coming ice age.

PennyQuilts
06-16-2011, 12:43 PM
Yeah, they probably blamed the huge tornado oubreaks in 1973 and 1974 on the coming ice age.

No, back in those days, most people figured the ones in a panic over climate change were nuts.

HewenttoJared
06-16-2011, 01:24 PM
When I was in my late teens, early twenties, the coming ice age was all the rage. Imagine my surprise to find out we were going to burn up, instead.

It was all the rage in the media. In scientific circles not so much.

ou48A
06-16-2011, 02:22 PM
No, back in those days, most people figured the ones in a panic over climate change were nuts.

Most people still feel the same way today.

HewenttoJared
06-16-2011, 03:35 PM
Most people who dont read n stuff still feel the same way today.

Agreed

betts
06-16-2011, 03:36 PM
Most people still feel the same way today.

I think "most people" is a bit of a stretch. Most of us "nuts" think the rest of you are being led around by the nose by your politicians, who are being led around by the nose by their donors, who are companies that stand to lose money if they have to control emissions. It makes for a rather silly little parade.

Questor
06-16-2011, 09:16 PM
It's interesting, NOAA reports there are no incidences of coal bleachings identified in the Pacific this year for the first time in a long while. They believe this is because sensors are telling them that ocean temperatures have cooled for the first time in decades.

If global warming really is man made, then the economic downturn may actually prove it. When the economy went south all our worldwide shipping and production went down and along with it the levels of greenhouse gasses we spew into the air. If a few years from now we look at the data and there was an unexplainable downturn in temps after decades of increases then that's pretty much it. We should know pretty much for sure in the next 5 years. It'll be interesting to see what direction the data points in.

HewenttoJared
06-17-2011, 09:18 AM
I don't think you can correlate year by year like that. The reliable response time is probably closer to 10 years at a minimum. Also, world temperature as a whole still went up(like every other year since 1975 or so) it just happened to drop in a few key areas. Bleaching is also less common because there is simply less coral to bleach.