View Full Version : Technical help with setup of new Devon webcam

Pete
06-14-2011, 05:12 PM
Most know that we've been trying to set up a webcam in Chase Tower for some time. We have someone with an office with a great vantage point and who is willing to host and keep their eye on the camera.

But due to the strict IT policies in this particular place of work, we cannot send images through their network, out to the Internet and ultimately to our webserver for hosting.

So, I'm looking for a creative solution.

One idea is to get some sort of free-standing device that would connect to the 'net independently to transmit the images/video. That would require something like a cellular modem or cellular router and a contract with a cellular provider; plus a webcam that doesn't need a dedicated PC to host it.

There are lots of cameras that will do this but I'm hung up on the cellular Internet connection. Perhaps get one of the "personal hot spot" devices sold by T-Mobile or Verizon? This is an example: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2384450,00.asp

Would appreciate any input as we're are at a brick wall at this point.

MikeOKC
06-14-2011, 05:21 PM
Pete, I don't think you'd need the MeFi and setup a hotspot. All you would need is a dedicated computer and this USB device (http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?item=phoneFirst&action=viewPhoneDetail&selectedPhoneId=5537) with a Verizon package. Incredible 4G LTE speeds here in OKC.

Edit: I just noticed you didn't want a dedicated computer. You could do it on a PC already on a corporate network, but it would probably require some light virtualization/sandboxing to keep the IT people happy. IF they would allow that.

Pete
06-14-2011, 05:25 PM
Trying to avoid using a computer.

However, I know there are Cradlepoint routers that accept USB cellular modems like the one you mention.

MikeOKC
06-14-2011, 06:39 PM
Trying to avoid using a computer.

However, I know there are Cradlepoint routers that accept USB cellular modems like the one you mention.

Do the Cradlepoints come with a server chip?

MikeOKC
06-14-2011, 06:58 PM
Now that I realize you're thinking no PC at all, I'm trying to think of how you do this without a computer. There are IP Cams but those really need a dedicated IP which you can't get through a wireless plan. Same goes with any kind of server chip routers. Maybe there's some kind of cloud-hosted solution that would only need the use of a computer for a one-time setup, but I'm guessing addressing would be a problem with wireless.

BBatesokc
06-14-2011, 07:08 PM
I've Ustream'd several times using a Sprint Mifi. It works good but uses lots of bandwidth.

MikeOKC
06-14-2011, 07:14 PM
I've Ustream'd several times using a Sprint Mifi. It works good but uses lots of bandwidth.

Yes, that's the other thing - the bandwidth needed for a 24/7 webcam would probably be unacceptable to a wireless provider. Hey, Brian - your Sprint MiFi is using the smartphone itself though to handle the necessary processing, right? He still needs a source. The router would need to be server chipped (with all the requirements already mentioned) - unless I'm missing something.

BBatesokc
06-14-2011, 09:11 PM
Yes, that's the other thing - the bandwidth needed for a 24/7 webcam would probably be unacceptable to a wireless provider. Hey, Brian - your Sprint MiFi is using the smartphone itself though to handle the necessary processing, right? He still needs a source. The router would need to be server chipped (with all the requirements already mentioned) - unless I'm missing something.

For the Mifi to work you'd still need a camera attached to a computer (I use a laptop for remote broadcasting). I usually use my Macbook Pro, but I have also used a cheap netbook.

Once we get 4G in OKC, there will be no bandwidth cap.

Thunder
06-15-2011, 02:47 AM
Go with Sprint. Its unlimited Data for less price. 3G and 4G.

Stay far away from AT&T and Verizon. Btw, consider about the 2 years contract. Will the Devon Tower be in construction for two more years? Think about that.

BBatesokc
06-15-2011, 05:33 AM
Go with Sprint. Its unlimited Data for less price. 3G and 4G.

Stay far away from AT&T and Verizon. Btw, consider about the 2 years contract. Will the Devon Tower be in construction for two more years? Think about that.

Unlimited data only applies to their phones (and if you read the small print, its not really unlimited). The Mifi cards have a 5GB bandwidth cap. However, it is a soft cap.

Thunder
06-15-2011, 07:14 AM
Unlimited data only applies to their phones (and if you read the small print, its not really unlimited). The Mifi cards have a 5GB bandwidth cap. However, it is a soft cap.

That's fine. We're only dealing with picture uploading every 30 seconds or every one minute. It shouldn't reach the limit.

Martin
06-15-2011, 07:56 AM
well, thunder... let's be (overly) generous and say that each image is 100kb or roughly .1mb.

with an image every 30s, you get .2mb/min. that's 12mb/hr and 288mb/day. assuming a 30 day month, that's 8640mb or roughly 8.5gb/month.

bandwidth will be a consideration. -M

Thunder
06-15-2011, 08:04 AM
Wow! :-O

You just made me realize just how much bandwidth I've been using on my phone!

Pete
06-15-2011, 08:40 AM
With the current webcam, the image size is closer to 300K, so if we were to upload an image every minute that would be about 13GB per month!

If we did this, we'd have to scale back the frequency to more like once every 10 minutes which would bring down the bandwidth to under 2GB per month. T-mobile has a $40/month plan for 2GB but it does require a 2-year contract to get a decent price on the personal hotspot hardware.

BBatesokc
06-15-2011, 10:13 AM
With the current webcam, the image size is closer to 300K, so if we were to upload an image every minute that would be about 13GB per month!

If we did this, we'd have to scale back the frequency to more like once every 10 minutes which would bring down the bandwidth to under 2GB per month. T-mobile has a $40/month plan for 2GB but it does require a 2-year contract to get a decent price on the personal hotspot hardware.

I started with a Cricket broadband card and it worked just fine and I was doing live video streaming. Same 5GB cap but I went over several times and they never charged me. Plus, no contract. Would have stayed with them but their coverage was not as good as Sprint.

BBatesokc
06-15-2011, 10:22 AM
I'm sure you've already tried this, but is there not a free hot spot you can log on to? When I'm downtown I find free hot spots everywhere provided by restaurants, Logix Commmunications, etc.

If you could locate an existing signal you could offer a free ad or mention on the page in exchange for the signal.

Thunder
06-15-2011, 10:26 AM
Pete, go with Sprint to get the 5GB limit for $30, but the contract is an issue, unless the device was paid for full retail value. Also, what Brian suggested, Cricket with no contract going for 5GB/$40, and if it goes over the limit, the speed throttles down, but shouldn't affect the image uploads. And as he said, plenty of WiFi in the areas.

Pete
06-15-2011, 10:30 AM
That's a good idea... Unfortunately I live in California and am trying to make this easy on the gentleman that is offering his office in Chase.

Not sure how many non-corporate Wifi networks would be available 30 floors up in that tower.

BBatesokc
06-15-2011, 10:33 AM
Just tell him to turn on his device of choice and see what wifi signals pop up. Jot down the names of the signals and maybe collectively someone here will have an 'in' or a contact with one of the signal providers and can work something out. If nothing else, a law office, or service industry business in the tower may have wireless and would gladly share the signal for some good PR.