View Full Version : Does anyone hire 15 year olds anymore?

LandryTeam
06-13-2011, 04:04 PM
Other than Braums and City Bite's I cant seem to find anyone who still hires 15 year olds....thanks in advance for any advice!!

Eddie

kevinpate
06-13-2011, 04:12 PM
Your best bet may be some local mom and pop or a one off shop that can use help. I know a lot of places my youngest looked at in Norman weren't interested in hiring even when he was 16 and 17. Of course a limited availability for shifts was also a big obstacle for him. He was very active in music at the church and with aiding the younger youth. Between his service and his studies, he wasn't ever going to be anyone's dream candidate. But a number of places stopped him short on age and never went further.

Best job for an enterprising 15 year old not working for a family member may be lawn work. If the person is prompt and clean and not afraid of work, there is still some decent coin in lawn work.

BDK
06-13-2011, 04:59 PM
I can't remember any place that wanted to hire anyone younger than 16 when I was that age (not too long ago). I agree about the lawn care, household labor would definitely be an avenue to pursue.

PennyQuilts
06-13-2011, 05:12 PM
Kudos to the fifteen year old for looking for a job (is that you Landryteam?). I hope he finds one - don't get discouraged.

HewenttoJared
06-13-2011, 06:20 PM
Most of your big stores got away from that. It's a serious pain even to deal with minors(the rules around them, not their attitudes), let alone a 15-yr old.

HewenttoJared
06-13-2011, 06:22 PM
I helped a neighbor raise thousands of pet birds when I was 15. It was a good experience but I think I'd prefer my kids do something a bit more scholarly with their time.

Thunder
06-13-2011, 08:38 PM
Crest Market - HOME OF ROCK BOTTOM PRICES!!!

Apply there for Sacker. It may be too late for you, because a lot of kids applied before school was out for the Summer. You could be lucky! Its the best place to rake in tips with no hassle of touching dirty dishes (being a waitress at restaurant).

dmoor82
06-13-2011, 08:57 PM
Crest Market - HOME OF ROCK BOTTOM PRICES!!!

Apply there for Sacker. It may be too late for you, because a lot of kids applied before school was out for the Summer. You could be lucky! Its the best place to rake in tips with no hassle of touching dirty dishes (being a waitress at restaurant).

Lol,My first job was at Crest#2 when I was 16 and I can bet you that a waitress makes more money in tips,without the hassle of being called a sacker!

BBatesokc
06-13-2011, 09:06 PM
Our son got a job at McDonald's at 14. He worked at the one near Sooner and I-240 because the owner of the franchise in that area officed out of that one. He really liked it and they worked him the max allowed by law. I was surprised they paid him the same as some adults that had been there a couple of years.

Thunder
06-13-2011, 09:16 PM
Lol,My first job was at Crest#2 when I was 16 and I can bet you that a waitress makes more money in tips,without the hassle of being called a sacker!

Nothing wrong with being a Sacker. Did you do a good job? I raked in $20 to $50 per day and that is only 4 hours a day. Depending on how busy it gets and the kind of customers. Sometime I get more. When being a Waitress, you have to wait a long time for tables to clear out and you'd be assigned to limited tables.

LandryTeam
06-14-2011, 06:29 AM
Thanks so much everyone for the advice....great stuff!

jmarkross
06-14-2011, 06:58 AM
Whatever you do--DO IT WELL--and show people you want to give a little more than the next person. Key to success at 15 or 50. People notice it. If it becomes your credo--you will do it automatically and with no effort...

Jesseda
06-14-2011, 07:54 AM
you also might want to check the city sport parks like buck thomas park in moore, i know they hire young kids around 15 years old to run the concessions

LandryTeam
06-14-2011, 08:11 AM
oh good idea Jesseda!

Midtowner
06-14-2011, 09:46 AM
Lawnmower + weedeater = Summer job.

OKCTalker
06-14-2011, 11:02 AM
I cleaned out vacant apartments, painted the firehouse at 36th & Classen (now Neighborhood Alliance HQ), worked the cold food line in a country club kitchen, and worked on a boat. Only the apartment job seemed like work - the rest were lots of fun, and I learned a lot!

MadMonk
06-14-2011, 11:30 AM
LOL, they used to call us "courtesy clerks" at Safeway, way back in the day.

Barry Luxton
06-14-2011, 11:39 AM
Other than Braums and City Bite's I cant seem to find anyone who still hires 15 year olds....thanks in advance for any advice!!

Pretty sure these guys do.

http://i.imgur.com/u6SrK.jpg

BBatesokc should be able to put you in touch with them.

MadMonk
06-14-2011, 11:52 AM
Pretty sure these guys do.

http://i.imgur.com/u6SrK.jpg

BBatesokc should be able to put you in touch with them.
LOL, speak from personal experience do you?

dmoor82
06-14-2011, 11:56 AM
Nothing wrong with being a Sacker. Did you do a good job? I raked in $20 to $50 per day and that is only 4 hours a day. Depending on how busy it gets and the kind of customers. Sometime I get more. When being a Waitress, you have to wait a long time for tables to clear out and you'd be assigned to limited tables.

Yea I was a sacker then I was Nick and his wife's gopher,driving thier Green and White Jag's to get detailed and doing lawn work at his house.I was also a Stocker,Backroom person,Forklift driver and other titles,all in all I worked over three years there but after a while the low pay just didnt cut it!

Barry Luxton
06-14-2011, 12:25 PM

As a matter of fact, I do. Willie the Pimp (that's him in the middle) turned me out himself when I was just fourteen.

BBatesokc
06-14-2011, 01:17 PM

The best part is the look on the dude's face in the white t-shirt in the middle.

LandryTeam
06-14-2011, 02:14 PM
Look how old that cell phone is my man in the yellow is holding!