View Full Version : Rebound: GM is Now Ahead of Toyota Worldwide

soonerliberal
06-13-2011, 09:45 AM
http://money.cnn.com/2011/06/13/news/companies/global_auto_sales_race/index.htm?hpt=hp_t2

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- General Motors is poised to recapture the title of world's largest automaker, a distinction it lost to rival Toyota Motor when global auto sales collapsed in 2008.

GM (GM, Fortune 500) nearly caught Toyota (TM) last year, finishing only 28,000 vehicles behind its Japanese rival. In the first quarter, it moved solidly ahead of Toyota, selling 2.2 million vehicles, an increase of 11%.

It is nice to see America on top again.

jmarkross
06-13-2011, 10:02 AM
Only took a massive earthquake and tsunami...

soonerliberal
06-13-2011, 11:27 AM
Except GM was feeling forward momentum far before the earthquake. While the earthquake's dent on the supply is a contributing factor to GM's gains this year, the trend lines have been in GM's favor and they would have overtaken Toyota this year regardless.

Pete
06-13-2011, 11:37 AM
Toyota had serious issues due to massive recalls before the earthquake disrupted their production.

Also, I really like what Ford is doing, especially on the world market. Their new Focus looks like a big hit and they seem to be making a lot of good moves.

Chrysler is coming around too, although now that's it's majority owned by Fiat it's no longer a pure American company.

Thunder
06-13-2011, 11:41 AM
I don't think it technically make them bigger just based on the amount of vehicles they make....... I think what is more important is the sales and the amount of vehicles actually being sold. All these companies keep making so fast every day, filling up car lots, expanding new car lots, it is just all way too much. It takes time yearly for new people to obtain their first DL, but even by then, may not get a new car or even a car if any. Slow down on the productions!

lake hefner breeze
06-13-2011, 05:13 PM
http://money.cnn.com/2011/06/13/news/companies/global_auto_sales_race/index.htm?hpt=hp_t2

It is nice to see America on top again.

Thanks to our bailout of their poorly managed company.

Should have let them fail.

HewenttoJared
06-13-2011, 06:24 PM
If the press had covered the withdrawal of the claim against Toyota as closely as they had the original story those numbers would have been different.

adaniel
06-13-2011, 07:38 PM
Great to hear. Hopefully I can add to those stats when I buy my Camaro 1SS in the next few weeks. Its amazing what happens to your company when you start making quality products that people want.

Thanks to our bailout of their poorly managed company.

Should have let them fail.

If you think thats bad you should see some of the state and local tax breaks Toyota, Honda, BMW, Kia, etc. are getting for their new plants. Pretty sure that Toyota's tax bill on its San Antonio plant is zero and will be for the next 15 years. Then, they will get it extended another 15 years when they threaten to close it or relocate to the next state that will roll over for them.

rcjunkie
06-13-2011, 08:33 PM
I've done my part to help GM, bought two new vehicles in the past month, both Chevrolet's.

semisimple
06-13-2011, 09:57 PM
Only took a massive earthquake and tsunami...

...and the government sabotaging Toyota over the "stuck gas pedal" issue in order to protect their investment.

Easy180
06-14-2011, 04:49 AM
I've done my part to help GM, bought two new vehicles in the past month, both Chevrolet's.

Me too...Bought a Terrain in Feb...First American vehicle in many years...Quality seems to be there now

HewenttoJared
06-14-2011, 08:25 AM
...and the government sabotaging Toyota over the "stuck gas pedal" issue in order to protect their investment.

Which turned out not to be true...