View Full Version : APM "The Story" features felon Christopher Linder and his bid for Pawnee Mayor

BBatesokc
06-09-2011, 06:43 PM
Really interesting story.....

[From APM] "Today, we delve into the idea of rehabilitation. Christopher Linder is an interesting case. He'd already been convicted of a felony when he ran for mayor of Pawnee, Oklahoma. His voters knew the whole story of the drug deal gone bad and the five years in prison - and they elected him anyway. But a law in Oklahoma forbids him from taking office."

Audio link: http://thestory.org/archive/the_story_060911_full_show.mp3

Bunty
06-09-2011, 07:23 PM
Evidently, Oklahoma law makers in the past didn't trust that voters should not vote unpardoned convicted felons into office before a period of time. But maybe it can be said that locals can and should be able to be smart enough to decide if a reformed acting person should be allowed to put his past aside and serve the public. Linder had a big advantage in running for mayor in not having a incumbent to run against, if I'm right.

Larry OKC
06-10-2011, 01:28 AM
My question when the story hit was why isn't it illegal for the person to run for office if they aren't allowed to take the office once elected? It is unfortunate and it appears the voters were aware of his record. No reflection on this person or those voters, but how many times did the likes of Gene Stipe keep getting elected? The time ban is there for a reason. Just as there is a time limit on Legislators being able to serve after leaving office (unfortunately there are enough loopholes around it). Apparently, the only loophole around the time element is getting a pardon, and that didn't work.

Jersey Boss
06-10-2011, 09:43 AM
Another exercise in the powers ordering who should and should not be on the ballot. Or for that matter what political parties should/should not be on the ballot.

Bunty
06-10-2011, 10:40 AM
My question when the story hit was why isn't it illegal for the person to run for office if they aren't allowed to take the office once elected? It is unfortunate and it appears the voters were aware of his record. No reflection on this person or those voters, but how many times did the likes of Gene Stipe keep getting elected? The time ban is there for a reason. Just as there is a time limit on Legislators being able to serve after leaving office (unfortunately there are enough loopholes around it). Apparently, the only loophole around the time element is getting a pardon, and that didn't work.

But I heard voters kept voting for Stipe because he was doing so much by bringing new projects to the district.

Thunder
06-10-2011, 04:12 PM
Let him be the Mayor. If the state Oklahoma want to control what a city can do, then there are ways around it. Pick a person to be the face/rep for Chris. Ta da! Have it a different person on record but Chris in the back running the city.