View Full Version : Worst mistake in OKC sport history?

Bill Robertson
06-09-2011, 03:01 PM
I looked back several months in the old threads and saw one thread about the Brickyard Brawlers. Not a thing when they folded. In fact, I only found out a couple of days ago. Could this franchise be the worst mistake in OKC sports history?

kevinpate
06-09-2011, 03:02 PM
Who/what were they? Arena ball or something else?

ultimatesooner
06-09-2011, 03:26 PM
not getting lingere football

Bill Robertson
06-10-2011, 09:46 AM
See, you made my point. No advertising whatsoever. They were a team in the new/reorganized Arena Football League.

Fine with me.

theparkman81
06-10-2011, 11:06 AM

Yeah the bricktown brawlers was a indoor football league team, they sucked, I think they had worst attendance then the Yard Dawgs, and what I have read recently is they are folding after this season, bring back the Arena Football League.

kevinpate
06-10-2011, 11:15 AM
I remember the Yard Dawgs, even though I'm not a big football nut, and way way less so an arena football nut.

I knew the YD were gone, but not why. I dinna know, or maybe heard and forgot, the brawlers existed. Oh well.

Jersey Boss
06-10-2011, 01:59 PM
this

Bill Robertson
06-12-2011, 05:45 AM
Yeah the bricktown brawlers was a indoor football league team, they sucked, I think they had worst attendance then the Yard Dawgs, and what I have read recently is they are folding after this season, bring back the Arena Football League.This is what I mean about the lack of advertising. The Brawlers were in the new Arena Football League. They played with teams from Cleveland, Pittsburg, Chicago, Tampa Bay, etc. Yet few people even knew they existed. Worst marketing ever.

OKCNDN
06-13-2011, 08:11 AM
Tearing down the state fairgrounds grandstand and thus no Friday night races.

I can understand tearing down the grandstand. It was in bad shape. But there should have been more of an attempt by the CITY, not private developers, to keep the races going. The city helped Bass Pro immensely. The city should have thrown the races a bone. People on this board are always talking about traditions and ties to the city' collective past. There is one right there that is now gone.

Bill Robertson
06-13-2011, 09:37 AM
Tearing down the state fairgrounds grandstand and thus no Friday night races.

I can understand tearing down the grandstand. It was in bad shape. But there should have been more of an attempt by the CITY, not private developers, to keep the races going. The city helped Bass Pro immensely. The city should have thrown the races a bone. People on this board are always talking about traditions and ties to the city' collective past. There is one right there that is now gone.That was a big one for me personally too. I went to many Friday nights. I even worked there for awhile in the 80s when Larry Hill was running the track. Back then it was nearly impossible to get the city to do anything to the facility because it didn't make the city any money. If the city doesn't make money or national atta-boy points from something they're not going to get behind it. Private developers/promoters are going to be our only hope for ever having another track.

Jersey Boss
06-13-2011, 11:51 AM
This is what I mean about the lack of advertising. The Brawlers were in the new Arena Football League. They played with teams from Cleveland, Pittsburg, Chicago, Tampa Bay, etc. Yet few people even knew they existed. Worst marketing ever.

Not quite. In fact not even close. They were in the Indoor Football League not the Arena League. Here is a list of the standings and where those teams play.

Atlantic Division

Reading Express** 8 6
Lehigh Valley Steelhawks 4 10
Richmond Revolution 3 11

Great Lakes Division

Green Bay Blizzard** 11 3
Bloomington Extreme* 9 5
Chicago Slaughter* 8 6
La Crosse Spartans 5 9

Great Plains Division

Sioux Falls Storm** 13 1
Omaha Beef* 9 5
Wichita Wild 6 8
Nebraska Danger 3 11

Intense Conference
W L

Lonestar Division

Allen Wranglers** 10 4
West Texas Roughnecks* 10 4
Amarillo Venom 4 10
Bricktown Brawlers 3 11

Mountain West Division

Colorado ICE** 11 3
Wyoming Cavalry* 9 5
Arizona Adrenaline 1 13

Pacific Divison

Fairbanks Grizzlies** 10 4
Tri-Cities Fever* 10 4
Seattle Timberwolves 5 9
Wenatchee Valley Venom 3 11

There are a couple of real cities here, but by and large, bush league.

Bill Robertson
06-14-2011, 06:16 AM
Oops! I've been wrong before. My wife says so daily.

Brandon Rush
06-14-2011, 08:37 AM
having worked with this "organization" I can say whole heartedly it was the biggest mistake of my professional career

MartzMimic
06-16-2011, 05:40 AM
I think their sole marketing was a sign in the Cox Convention Center that I saw as I walked through to a Thunder game and said, "What the hell...?"

Edgemererobin
06-18-2011, 07:46 AM
Unfortunately for race fans, the martini sippers outnumber the beer drinkers within the city's power brokers. The mayor wanted to bring a gran prix to OKC. Can you imagine that with our streets? We need private investors to develop a motor sports park along west I-40. Needs to include at least a 1 1/2 mile asphalt track (NASCAR), a 1/2 or 3/8 dirt, and a DRAG STRIP. The rigs travel back and forth through here, so I makes sense.
Btw, I was a photographer at Fairgrounds Speedway back when Larry Hill had it.

ljbab728
06-18-2011, 09:25 PM
Unfortunately for race fans, the martini sippers outnumber the beer drinkers within the city's power brokers. The mayor wanted to bring a gran prix to OKC. Can you imagine that with our streets?

This is still in the works and will likely happen. I'll be lined up at the martini stands. LOL

Edgemererobin
06-24-2011, 07:18 AM
Is that why they are relating the streets downtown? I just don't see a good area for low sitting, high speed formula one cars. Spoilers flying everywhere! I guess that would make it more interesting. This is still stock car country, and a new track would be met with more acceptance by the masses than F-1. How many can name the top drivers in that circuit?

Bill Robertson
06-24-2011, 12:52 PM
Is that why they are relating the streets downtown? I just don't see a good area for low sitting, high speed formula one cars. Spoilers flying everywhere! I guess that would make it more interesting. This is still stock car country, and a new track would be met with more acceptance by the masses than F-1. How many can name the top drivers in that circuit?Downtown isn't a good venue for racing cars. I think the reason is "That's where everyone else runs theirs". And the series that's trying to come here is a minor league American series. No where remotely near F-1. I doubt that anyone can name a single driver. I wish almost daily for a new dirt track.

Btw, I was a photographer at Fairgrounds Speedway back when Larry Hill had it.I was on the safety crew for a few of those years. Lots of good memories.

ljbab728
06-24-2011, 09:48 PM
Is that why they are relating the streets downtown? I just don't see a good area for low sitting, high speed formula one cars. Spoilers flying everywhere! I guess that would make it more interesting. This is still stock car country, and a new track would be met with more acceptance by the masses than F-1. How many can name the top drivers in that circuit?

Downtown is not the current venue of choice. It is being planned for the Adventure District in NE OKC. May of 2013 is a target date.

Edgemererobin
06-25-2011, 07:10 AM
Hmmm, scenic, curvy, hilly. Race cars buzzing Lincoln Park, ducking golf balls and scaring the giraffes. Sounds like fun. Also sounds like a logistics nightmare.

ljbab728
06-25-2011, 09:04 PM
Hmmm, scenic, curvy, hilly. Race cars buzzing Lincoln Park, ducking golf balls and scaring the giraffes. Sounds like fun. Also sounds like a logistics nightmare.

Sounds like you would find a reason to be critical no matter what the location was.

Edgemererobin
06-29-2011, 06:52 PM
Not so much negative, but thinking it through. If you I 35 on one boundary, and MLK on the other, will they run it right by the zoo? If they run it on the weekend, what about the traffic for the zoo, race track, and omni plex? There is lots of parking along MLK, but where will people sit. Will they bring in stands? Where will the pits be located? Like I said, a logistics nightmare.

ljbab728
06-29-2011, 09:35 PM
Not so much negative, but thinking it through. If you I 35 on one boundary, and MLK on the other, will they run it right by the zoo? If they run it on the weekend, what about the traffic for the zoo, race track, and omni plex? There is lots of parking along MLK, but where will people sit. Will they bring in stands? Where will the pits be located? Like I said, a logistics nightmare.

Any place that a street race is held has numerous logistical problems but it still happens anyway. It's not your nightmare. It will be handled by the organizers so wait until you hear all of the plans and details before panning the idea. I suspect that they have given a little more thought to the obstacles than you have.