View Full Version : Wanted: Two Particular Books About Oklahoma City

okcpulse
03-24-2005, 02:22 PM
I need two more sources to complete revisions made to my Oklahoma City tour book before I print it and begin finding an editor and publisher. I visited the Norick Library downtown and found these to books in the Oklahoma Room that are about Oklahoma City. These particular books contain artist renderings of the old Pei Plan, as well as renderings of the Galleria and skyline photos.

Unfortunately, I cannot take these books out of the Oklahoma Room. All books must stay in that room. These are the two books I have spent two years searching for that are in the Oklahoma Room...

Myriad of Sports... A Profile of Oklahoma City
By Pen Woods/ Frank K.Boggs
Published by the All Sports Association of Oklahoma City Copyright 1971

Look At Oklahoma - An Album Portraying the Colorful Variety of the 46th State
Published by The Oklahoma Publishing Company
Edited by Ferdie J. Deering

If anyone can locate a copy of these two books for retail purchase, or where I can find them other than a library, or can put them on loan, I would greatly appreciate it. I must contact the people who own those renderings and photos for permission to publish them in my book. It will go in the history section of my book.

Karried
03-24-2005, 03:55 PM
You can preorder it here as it is out of print: Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0006X0X6M/qid=1111701182/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/102-1599975-1608924?v=glance&s=books

Karried
03-24-2005, 03:59 PM
This is a Look at Oklahoma 1975 on ebay for 9.99 plus 4.00 sh

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=378&item=4536705285&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

1975 Book " Look At Oklahoma :" Great full color 160 page 10x12 coffee table type book. dust cover shows wear and tear but the cover is in great shape inside binding has loosened due to storage.Published by The Oklahoma Publishing Co.

okcpulse
03-24-2005, 05:41 PM
Thank you so much, Karrie, for your help and quick response. I placed a bid on "Look At Oklahoma". I placed "Myriad of Sports" on my wish list, and I hope I can get a copy. However, "Look At Oklahoma" is exactly what I was looking for! I can now place those renderings in my history section for my presentation, and then contact the owners of those renderings. Again, thank you for your help.

Karried
03-24-2005, 05:47 PM
So glad to help! I'm a huge fan of Ebay and can usually find just about anything there - good luck!

HOT ROD
03-24-2005, 09:25 PM
I need two more sources to complete revisions made to my Oklahoma City tour book before I print it and begin finding an editor and publisher. I visited the Norick Library downtown and found these to books in the Oklahoma Room that are about Oklahoma City. These particular books contain artist renderings of the old Pei Plan, as well as renderings of the Galleria and skyline photos.

pulse, Im curious to know how oKC measures up with regard to the Pei plan. Are we taller or have as many buildings or was Pei more ambitious than was implemented.

Could you give us highlights of the Pei plan for downtown Oklahoma City and give us your opinion of the photos of it and how we measure based on today's downtown Oklahoma City.

okcpulse
03-24-2005, 10:21 PM
The Pei Plan was both more and less ambitious than what we have today. There was a rendering of what Oklahoma City was to look like in 1989, the time of Oklahoma City's Centennial. For instance, there were more residential highrises in the concept, but today only one high-rise apartment tower is present, however there was a lot more office towers than shown in the plan. The Galleria was there, and there was a rendering of the main concourse in the Galleria, which would have been three floors of shopping.

The proposed Myriad Gardens were supposed to be larger, and there was a lot of landscaping. Although there is plenty of landscaping today, it was a bit different in the drawing. Most of the residential towers were to the west of downtown. The buildings depected were about as tall as what we have today. I will hopefully post a copy of the rendering when I recieve the book, if I am legally able to do so.

Patrick
03-28-2005, 07:24 PM
The Pei Plan was both more and less ambitious than what we have today. There was a rendering of what Oklahoma City was to look like in 1989, the time of Oklahoma City's Centennial. For instance, there were more residential highrises in the concept, but today only one high-rise apartment tower is present, however there was a lot more office towers than shown in the plan. The Galleria was there, and there was a rendering of the main concourse in the Galleria, which would have been three floors of shopping.

The proposed Myriad Gardens were supposed to be larger, and there was a lot of landscaping. Although there is plenty of landscaping today, it was a bit different in the drawing. Most of the residential towers were to the west of downtown. The buildings depected were about as tall as what we have today. I will hopefully post a copy of the rendering when I recieve the book, if I am legally able to do so.

That would be nice. I'd be interested to see what OKC was "supposed" to look like, especially the main concorse of the "Galleria". I think we may just be a little behind on the original plans for our city. We have the oil bust to thank for that. Over time, I fully see residential complexes filling up the west side of downtown.

Also, if I remember right, the original proposal for the Myriad Gardens called for 2 Crystal bridges, one for desert plants and the other for a rainforest. When funding fell short, they meshed it all together in one bridge, and put the desert plants on one end of the tube, and the rain forest plans on the other end. We were lucky just to finish the Crystal Bridge. And the Myraid Gardens has been a work in progress. The Meinder's Garden was only completed in the late 90's.

I don't think Pei's plan took into account the growing suburb trend of the 70's, 80's, and 90's. That's probably why it called for more residential downtown. Instead, in those years, downtowns became more a place for office work 8 to 5 Monday thru Friday. That's probably why we have more office towers today than he proposed.