View Full Version : OKC Parks (swimming pools)

capt_john_97
06-05-2011, 08:26 AM
I ahve posted looking for material on the old will rogers riding stable but I am also looking for anything on the old city run pools. I know there used to be tons of junior pools and senior pools. Most are nothing but grassy areas now or a playground or even a spray ground. I ran Will Rogers for around 20yrs (I started in 1987). I remember a few but I know when I went in a warehouse once there were names of pools that I had never heard of. Does anyone have an old map showing the locations? I know most of the pools were located near OKC schools. Does anyone have old pics? How about just memories of the pools? I am looking for anything and everything. Thanks for all your input.

Jim Kyle
06-05-2011, 10:07 AM
There was a kiddie pool in the park just west of May on NW 12, in the 50s. Don't recall the park's name at the moment, though.

bluedogok
06-05-2011, 10:49 AM
Reed Park is the one at NW 12th & May, I vaguely remember one there in the 70's.

Harlow Park - NW 19th & Harlow, behind Hilldale Elementary - swimming pool is now a playground
E.B. Jeffery Park - NW 16th & Meridian - swimming pool is now a spray park

I'm not sure if Corbin Park (NW 12th & Tulsa), Girvin Park (NW 12th & Grand/I-44), Lytle Park (NW 7th & Greenvale behind Greenvale Elementary), Smitty Park (NW 44th & Billen) had pools but it looks like they may have from the Google Earth historical imagery, looks like they were closed and filled in the mid-90's. Tinsley Park (NW 65th & Independence) north of the Independence Charter Middle School looks to still have one and I remember Lake Hefner Park (Grand Blvd. & Lake Hefner Parkway) had both an indoor and outdoor pools but according to the imagery the outdoor pool is gone, not sure if the indoor pool is still operational.

Bethany has seemed to keep most of their pools.
C.H. Ripper - NW 30th & Thompkins - pool and diving pool
J.B. Black Park -N Council south of NW 23rd

rcjunkie
06-05-2011, 10:50 AM
There was a kiddie pool in the park just west of May on NW 12, in the 50s. Don't recall the park's name at the moment, though.

Reed Park

capt_john_97
06-05-2011, 11:03 AM
Tinsley is gone just a park now. Lake Hefner park pool is gone that is the old bubble pool. Girvin was pulled a while back. thanks for the info...you guys are great!

rcjunkie
06-05-2011, 11:13 AM
Reed Park is the one at NW 12th & May, I vaguely remember one there in the 70's.

Harlow Park - NW 19th & Harlow, behind Hilldale Elementary - swimming pool is now a playground
E.B. Jeffery Park - NW 16th & Meridian - swimming pool is now a spray park

I'm not sure if Corbin Park (NW 12th & Tulsa), Girvin Park (NW 12th & Grand/I-44), Lytle Park (NW 7th & Greenvale behind Greenvale Elementary), Smitty Park (NW 44th & Billen) had pools but it looks like they may have from the Google Earth historical imagery, looks like they were closed and filled in the mid-90's. Tinsley Park (NW 65th & Independence) north of the Independence Charter Middle School looks to still have one and I remember Lake Hefner Park (Grand Blvd. & Lake Hefner Parkway) had both an indoor and outdoor pools but according to the imagery the outdoor pool is gone, not sure if the indoor pool is still operational.

Bethany has seemed to keep most of their pools.
C.H. Ripper - NW 30th & Thompkins - pool and diving pool
J.B. Black Park -N Council south of NW 23rd

JB Black Park is in OKC., not Bethany, and I believe the pool has been closed for a few years.

bluedogok
06-05-2011, 11:35 AM
I wasn't sure if Black was OKC or Bethany.

capt_john_97
06-05-2011, 11:44 AM
JBB was OKC

BlackmoreRulz
06-05-2011, 09:35 PM
Taylor Park at 67th and Douglas(?).

Brock Park at 31st and S Penn used to have a wading pool.

Bill Robertson
06-06-2011, 06:42 AM
I grew up off of NW 36th & May. A handful of us would ride bikes to Will Rogers Pool at least twice a week and spend most of the day. This would have been around '69 to maybe '73 when I was 10 to 13. Loved the diving boards. It was the biggest thing of my life when I actually pulled off my first head-first dive from the high board. Saddest thing is today there is no way I would let 10 to 13 year olds ride bikes from my parent's house to Will Rogers Park.

rcjunkie
06-06-2011, 09:52 AM
I grew up off of NW 36th & May. A handful of us would ride bikes to Will Rogers Pool at least twice a week and spend most of the day. This would have been around '69 to maybe '73 when I was 10 to 13. Loved the diving boards. It was the biggest thing of my life when I actually pulled off my first head-first dive from the high board. Saddest thing is today there is no way I would let 10 to 13 year olds ride bikes from my parent's house to Will Rogers Park.

So true, another sad sign of the times is that most 10--13 yeard kids wouldn't even think about riding a bike that far, unless it's hooked up to a Wii or X-Box.

Pete
06-06-2011, 09:56 AM
Saddest thing is today there is no way I would let 10 to 13 year olds ride bikes from my parent's house to Will Rogers Park.

Crime rates are currently about the same as they were in 1970.

What's changed is the constant media barrage of scary stories that lead people to believe the world is far less safe than "when they were kids".

corpsman
06-06-2011, 07:30 PM
Crime and other bad news sells papers and lots of advertising for the audio and video news
Crime rates are currently about the same as they were in 1970.

What's changed is the constant media barrage of scary stories that lead people to believe the world is far less safe than "when they were kids".

bluedogok
06-06-2011, 09:09 PM
We used to ride from the drainage ditch behind Windsor Hills Mall under Meridian and take that all the way to Will Rogers Park.

BB37
06-10-2011, 01:18 PM
I took swimming lessons at the wading pool at Swatek Park, NW 30th and Youngs, NE of Shepherd Mall, back in the mid 60s. That pool was filled in many years ago.

kevinpate
06-10-2011, 02:46 PM
I taught lessons back home in the summers during my teens, and did the lifeguard gig a while as well. Not a bad job for a teen. 30 on deep end, 30 on shallow, Front counter/Swim for 30 depending on the swimmer count. Most days you could score a friend coming out near break so they'd bring grub and save ya the trouble of rushing out and back on your down time. Sometimes I miss being tan and slim, well, slim in comparison anyway.

skyrick
06-11-2011, 05:18 PM
Memorial Park had a kiddie pool (3ft deep) in the '60s. Don't know of it's still there. Does Harding HS still let kids swim in it's pool (7 ft!) in the summer?

ctchandler
06-12-2011, 12:05 PM
I'm glad you brought this up, I used to swim at Capitol Hill HS where four hours each summer day was set aside in one hour increments for young girls, older girls, young boys, and older boys. Do they still open it up?
C. T.

Memorial Park had a kiddie pool (3ft deep) in the '60s. Don't know of it's still there. Does Harding HS still let kids swim in it's pool (7 ft!) in the summer?

CarltonsKeeper
06-12-2011, 01:56 PM
Anyone remember Black Hawk swimming pool on the west side of where I-35 is now at N.E. 23rd??? In the fifties it was a nice place, but time changes things.........................

Jim Kyle
06-12-2011, 03:32 PM
Yep. It was great back in the 40s! They also had one of the best miniature golf courses I've ever seen, with a reasonably long drive from the first tee. Went downhill long before it was condemned to make way for I35, though.

capt_john_97
06-13-2011, 06:10 AM
None of the pools that were in OKC schools are open anymore. There was a movement a few years back for OKC Parks & Rec to take them over but it was decided that it was too much of a liability and that updating those pools would take too much. I know the pool at Classen SAS and the one at Capitol Hill Elem. are both being used for storage

Jim Kyle
06-13-2011, 09:35 AM
The one at Classen was filled in during the current renovation project and the space is now to be used for classrooms. I'm a director of the Classen Alumni Association and we're eagerly awaiting our return to our Museum area in the building so we keep close tabs on the renovation.

Edgemererobin
06-18-2011, 09:03 PM
There was an old one in the park at N.W. 46th and Walker.

Hunter4014
06-19-2011, 09:20 PM
There was a pool and recreation center at Brock Park, 3300 S. Penn. I believe the pool was there until about 1966.

capt_john_97
07-03-2011, 06:40 AM
Does anyone remember the pool at South Rotary? Does anyone have any pictures of it?

JohnH_in_OKC
10-31-2012, 09:39 AM
We need many more inexpensive swim centers for EVERYONE!

When I was a boy, I learned to swim at the YWCA on 2nd Street (I was about 5 years old). At 7 or 8, I started swimming at the downtown YMCA. We had city pools at Will Rogers Park, Memorial Park, at a northeast park (where my sisters learned to swim). I believe there were several pools on the south side of OKC. http://www.okctalk.com/nostalgia-memories/nostalgia-memories/nostalgia-memories/nostalgia-memories/nostalgia-memories/nostalgia-memories/nostalgia-mem...ing-pools.html Currently only 2 parks, Will Rogers and Woodson have swimming pools. My family also swam at Springlake Park, Wedgewood Village, and the Sportsman's Club (when we were invited). Springlake's pool was everyone's favorite. There were 2 high diving boards at Springlake, something that liability insurance won't allow in today's world.

My mom (in the 1920's) would take the streetcar up Classen Blvd from NW 10th Street to swim at Belle Isle Lake where the Belle Isle Walmart is now. One of my uncles was a lifeguard at OKC Golf & Country Club which has always had a nice pool (back in the 1930's) -- and that pool is still there.

If there is not enough money to build the 5 indooor Aquatic/Wellness Centers for our seniors, we should be sure to use the money to build at least 2 great indoor Aquatic, Wellness Centers & promise to build another 3 centers for MAPS 4. We really need one of the initial centers located at Boathouse Row, so athletes training there can use it before 9 am & then we can start senior swim programs & free swim beginning at that time. The pool needs to be Olympic size. We need to insure the new trolley route extends beyond Bricktown to Boathouse Row, so we can insure transit for seniors who don't drive. After the central aquatic/wellness center is built, we should plan a senior aqualtic/wellnes center for each quadrant of the city.

The Boathouse Row pool needs to be Olympic size so it can also be used by our high school athletes for year-round training (early morning) and swim competition. We seniors can share the pool with our public schools for special events. I attended Classen High School (class of '67) and we had an indoor pool that we used for our gym classes and swim meets. OKC public schools no longer have swim pools inside any of our schools (that I'm aware of), even our new ones - Douglas, US Grant, & John Marshall - which is an egregious oversight in my view. I believe Central H.S., Classen H.S. and Captiol Hill H.S. were all built with indoor pools.

One thing we can do now is allow swimming to the public (either free or for a small charge) in the lake proposed for our central park. Since it's a man-made lake, we probably don't have to provide the same purity requirements of a public pool, but the water will have to come from Lake Hefner or Overholser, & not use Oklahoma River water which is too polluted for swimming. We can even share the pool with the proposed paddleboats, canoes & kayaks & the fish! If we need the state legislature to pass a special law limiting OKC's liability, let's get it done. I am sure we could have designated areas for swimming with trained lifeguards.

Oklahoma City Community College does have an indoor olympic sized aquatic center (http://www.occc.edu/rf/aquatic.html) available for special events. But I don't think it is available for public swimming.

I have previously advocated an indoor aquatic park on the north side of the central park near the new convention center which would enable conventioneers to participate year-round in one of Oklahoma City's central park attractions. Oklahoma City needs an indoor aquatic park & our new central park would be a great place to locate it.

Again, if we can't build 5 great senior aquatic/wellness centers with the MAPS 3 money that is allocated, let's build at least 2 great centers. MAPS 4 can build the remaining 3. Also, MAPS 4 could build that public indoor aquatic center for everyone on the north side of our central park. MAPS 4 also should build a whole bunch of public pools in Oklahoma City's parks like we used to have when I was growing up. We need lots of places for kids to learn to swim in the summer. Whitewater is just too expensive for most families. I realize that swimming pools are expensive to operate, but I have a possible solution which I will post in a future thread.

This article is co-posted at Senior Wellness Aquatic Centers (http://www.okctalk.com/general-civic-issues/25289-senior-wellness-aquatics-centers-3.html#post590309).

ljbab728
10-31-2012, 08:55 PM
You're not entirely correct about the public pools operated by the city.

City of Oklahoma City | Swimming Pools (http://www.okc.gov/parks/pools/index.html)

JohnH_in_OKC
11-01-2012, 02:54 AM
As I mentioned in the other thread where you posted this, you're not entirely accurate about the public pools operated by OKC.

City of Oklahoma City | Swimming Pools (http://www.okc.gov/parks/pools/index.html)

Mea culpa!

I previously read that only 2 swimming pools remained in our OKC parks system. I should have reviewed the city's website (http://www.okc.gov/parks/pools/index.html) before posting those comments. It looks like Northeast Park where my sisters learned to swim still exists WITH a pool & still teaches swimming! There are actually 1 indoor pool for use year-round (Foster), 2 family aquatic centers (Will Rogers & Earlywine), and 3 other pools (Northeast, Woodson, and Macklanburg). I plan to walk each of these parks soon and I'll try to swim at the Foster indoor pool on Friday.

Also, since OKC Parks already has the Foster indoor pool facility at 614 NE 4th, we probably don't need a senior pool in Boathouse Row.

From the Oklahoma City Parks website (http://www.okc.gov/parks/pools/index.html):

The Parks & Recreation Department operates 17 spraygrounds, two family aquatic centers and multiple swimming pools throughout the city. They provide a variety of activities for people of all ages and swimming abilities, and are great way to stay cool in the summer heat.

The Parks & Recreation Department operates 17 spraygrounds, two family aquatic centers and multiple swimming pools throughout the city. They provide a variety of activities for people of all ages and swimming abilities, and are great way to stay cool in the summer heat.

Foster Indoor Program Pool - OPEN YEAR-ROUND
614 N.E. 4th
The Foster Program Pool is open year-round for citizens wishing to participate in special programs and classes. Exercise classes and lap swims are a few of the types of programs available. For more information, call 239-6898.

Hours: Monday, Wednesday, Friday: 6:00 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. and 4:00 p.m. - 7:30 p.m.

Classes and times:

Water Walking
Build resistance during this individual adult exercise. No instructor.
M/W/F 6:30 - 8:30 a.m.
T/Th 3:30 - 5:30 p.m.
FREE

Adult Lap Swim
M/W/F 8:30 - 10 a.m.
FREE

Water Aerobics
Increase your stamina and burn calories during this instructor-led exercise class.
Cost: $2 per person
M/W/F 11:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.

Homeschool Aquatics
M/W 2:00 - 3:00 p.m.
SESSION I: September 10 - 26
SESSION II: October 8 - 24
SESSION III: November 5 - 21
Cost: $20 per person/session

H20 Bootcamp
Build stamina and get into shape with this amped-up water aerobics class. Advanced.
M/W/F/ 5:30 - 6:30 p.m.
Cost: $2 per session

SWIM TEAM:
MWF June 4-July 28 6:30 - 7:30 p.m. Cost: $30 for summer

2012 Summer Schedules and Hours

Schedules posted as of April 12 and are subject to change before the season.
Call 405-239-6898 for specific program or lesson questions.

Download a copy of our 2012 Pools brochure and schedule

Earlywine and Will Rogers Family Aquatics Centers

Hours Open:
May 26, 27, 28 noon - 6 p.m.
June 2-August 12 noon - 9:00 p.m.

August 18, 19 noon - 6 p.m.
August 25, 26 noon - 6 p.m.
September 1-3 noon - 6:00 p.m.

Fee: $6 per person; $3 after 6:00 p.m.

Season Passes (Family Aquatic Centers):
Individual $50 Family Pass (family of 4) $150 ($35 for ea. add'l family member)
Season Pass holders gain early admission at 11 a.m. Monday - Friday.

Season Pass Purchases:
Available at Earlywine and Will Rogers Family Aquatic Centers
May 23, 24, 25 3:00 - 6:00 p.m.
Or anytime throughout season.

Season Pass holders have 11:00 a.m. entry at Family Aquatic Centers Monday-Friday.

Swimming Lessons - Pre-Season Registration
Pre-season registration for swimming lessons will take place at Earlywine and Will Rogers Family Aquatic Centers May 23, 24, 25 from 3 - 6 p.m.

For more information, visit our Earlywine or Will Rogers Family Aquatics Center pages.

Northeast Pool, 1300 NE 33
Woodson Pool, 3405 S May
Macklanburg Pool, 2234 NW 117
June 12 - July 29
Open: Tuesday - Sunday, 1:00 - 6:00 p.m.

SWIMMING LESSONS

Swimming lessons are available throughout the summer months for ages toddler-adult. Call or visit your local pool for a complete schedule of lessons and activities.

Swimming Lessons: $20 Per Session / Per Child

Session Dates - Family Aquatic Centers:

Session I - June 6-16
Session II - June 20-30
Session III - July 4-14
Session IV - July 18-28
Session V - August 1-11
Session Dates - Northeast and Woodson

Session I - June 14-24
Session II - June 28 - July 8
Session III - July 12-22

Advanced Classes

Summer Competitive Swim Teams - Youth ages 8 – 18 can join one of our swim teams for fun summer competitions. FEE $30

Scuba / Snorkeling Call 405 366-8111 for class dates, times and fees.

Lifeguarding, Jr. Lifeguard and Swim Instructor Classes available.

JohnH_in_OKC
11-02-2012, 03:41 PM
Yesterday, I walked all the way around each one of the OKC Park Department's outdoor pools: Macklanburg, Northeast, Woodson, Earlywine, and then Will Rogers. I was already signed up at the Will Rogers Senior Center, but I additionally signed up at Woodson Park's Senior Center. This morning, I got up early & went swimming at the Foster Indoor Pool at NE 4th in the first block east of Lincoln Blvd.

Oklahoma City's Foster Indoor Pool is one of OKC's hidden secrets. It is located in what was the "Black" YMCA & built in the 1940's to give our east side Black residents comparable facilities to the Central YMCA downtown. In fact, when I mentioned the pool reminded me of the Central Branch YMCA pool where I swam as a youth, I was told it was identical & both pools were designed & built by the same contractor.

I plan to make the Foster Pool a regular part of my morning workouts. It is open Monday, Wednesday & Friday from 6:30 am to 10 am and on those same days from 3:30 pm to 6:30 pm. The park offers some programs for a fee during midday and late evening.

PLUS YOU CAN SWIM FREE, mornings and late afternoons -- not just seniors, but everybody!!!!

The outdoor pools of Macklanburg. Woodson and Northeast are also free to the public during the summer season. Because the pools at Earlywine and Will Rogers are considered Aquatic Parks, there is a small charge for these pools.

Take advantage of your tax dollars and start swimming FREE at the Foster indoor pool during the entire year and at the other OKC parks with pools during the summer.

ljbab728
11-02-2012, 10:39 PM
It sounds like you have done a 180 in your thoughts about swimming opportunities in OKC, John. Thanks for the additional info.

T-rex
11-04-2012, 09:08 AM
there was a pool and rec center at Mckinley park (13 & McKinley) in the mid 60s
i remember the buildings being built out of red stone (WPA style)

i've been by in the last year and the new building looks to have some of the old red stone incorporated into it's exterior design and what looks to be a small spray pool

oulefty
07-05-2013, 07:54 PM
We went to the Paseo Plunge swimming pool. It was located on the east side of the curving street Paseo Drive close to a block South of NW 30th.

capt_john_97
05-22-2014, 12:39 PM
I thought I would give a little bump to this.

TheTravellers
05-22-2014, 12:50 PM
Used to swim at a park across the street from my elementary school, Luther Burbank, on 65th/Independence, also at the Optimist (I think that was the name) pool on Grand. Back in the 70s, pretty much. Looking at google maps, the pool's gone at the park, and the Optimist may've been where Lake Hefner Park is now. Walked or biked to either of them quite often...

capt_john_97
05-22-2014, 01:15 PM
Optimist was the old bubble pool. I got my aquanaut there when I was a Webelos and swam there against John Marshall when I was in High School

Prunepicker
05-22-2014, 06:08 PM
There was a kiddie pool in the park just west of May on NW 12, in the 50s.
Don't recall the park's name at the moment, though.
Reid Park! A wadding pool. All of those old park have been filled in and
turned into playgrounds because irresponsible parents... nevermind.

Prunepicker
05-22-2014, 06:09 PM
Does Will Rogers Park still have the kiddie pool in the shape of Oklahoma?

capt_john_97
05-24-2014, 02:37 PM
The baby pool was filled in a while back the inside corner near the panhandle was deemed unsafe for the little ones. If you go there and go to the party area on the north side of the pool house you can still see the outline of the old pool.

Achilleslastand
05-24-2014, 04:16 PM
Optimist was the old bubble pool. I got my aquanaut there when I was a Webelos and swam there against John Marshall when I was in High School

By bubble pool I assume you mean the covering they put over it towards the pools later days? In the 70s it was a completely open pool and when you tired of swimming the recreation center had everything from a basketball court as well as pool tables and other activities.

OKCretro
06-03-2014, 09:12 AM
when did Douglas Park pool close? I don't ever remember swimming there in the 80's but the structure and empty pool where still there. Its now all gone

capt_john_97
06-06-2014, 07:23 AM
yes it was the fabric bubble they put up to enclose the pool. probably late 70's and early 80's while Kerr McGee was swimming there

capt_john_97
06-06-2014, 07:25 AM
I don't know exactly when Douglass pool closed it wasn't that long ago. Right around the time they rebuilt the High School. That is when they took it out of the ground. The pool wasn't being used anymore because the City was busy closing all the pools which is why they only have 2 water parks and 3 pools. Sorry I'm just a little bitter with the state of aquatics in OKC.