View Full Version : Ghost Stories?

capt_john_97
06-03-2011, 06:29 PM
Another thing I am interested in are the various ghost stories from the OKC area. I know of a few. I am particularly interested in the downtown area. I know of the ones at the Skirvin. I have no doubt that there are some around the Murrah site. I know about the ones at the wal mart that is where the old Bell Isle plant was.
Please share your ghost stories of the OKC area. No matter where in OKC.

Achilleslastand
06-03-2011, 07:19 PM
Ive heard about the belle isle plant. If i recall some girls were exploring it and one fell thru and died after falling 3 stories. It was demolished shortly afterwards.
My friends and I used to explore the creek that runs on the west side of bdwy extension{235}between nw 50th and nw 36. We would always go around midnight or later and especially with the drain tunnels was a spooky place to explore. Thought i heard a few things back then but it was probably just my overactive imagination.

capt_john_97
06-03-2011, 09:04 PM
I knew the girl that fell through the hole in the floor. I was student teaching and she was one of my students so yes that is a true story and yes shortly after that it was taken down.

MsDarkstar
06-03-2011, 09:57 PM
I used to work at The Harn Homestead 1889er Museum (off Lincoln Blvd) & we had a few spooky occurances. The main house on the property was built in 1908 as an addition to a 1 room cabin that had been put up in 1889. When I worked there, I frequently heard footsteps from upstairs, what sounded like someone going up or down the stairs (one of the steps had a distinctive squeak), every now & again I'd hear low voices from another room but couldn't make out words (was like I was hearing people whispering to eachother). While giving tours of the house, people would often comment that they felt like there was something/someone else in the house besides us. My sister worked at the museum as well, in a small farmhouse on site. School kids came out for field trips daily & after everyone left she had to clean up the farmhouse to get it ready for the next days program. One of the bedrooms was set up as a kids room & had a small bed with a cornhusk mattress. On several occassions she'd make the bed up, go outside to hang up the laundry, and when she'd come back in the bed would be messed up again as though someone had been sitting or laying on it.

During this same time, I became acquainted with the person that gave tours of the Overholser Mansion. He was convinced that the Overholser Mansion was haunted by Mrs. Overholser. He told me that every now and again during tours, people would think someone had pulled their hair or bumped into them even though no one was standing close to them. What got him fully convinced though was one time his young grandson was in the home with him and the little boy asked him "who was the lady in the fancy dress?" The little boy had been alone upstairs & saw her in the hall. He described her to Bill and from the description of the dress, he recognized it as the Worth original gown that Mrs. Overholser had that wasn't currently on display (I believe it is now though). It was enough to really spook him.

capt_john_97
06-04-2011, 10:29 AM
I know when I worked in spencer they have an old gym there that was a WPA building. It is old and creepy and while walking on the court I was being followed by footsteps that werent echoes.
I have heard about the Overholser Mansion ghost before. That is a great story too!
I hadnt heard about the Harn Homestead...that is way cool!

Larry OKC
06-05-2011, 01:59 AM
This was posted over in the Casa Bonita thread (PDR=Private Dining Room or what I called the "Governors Mansion")

...The haunting. There was a girl that had worked at Casa for a while. She loved the PDR and worked in the room whenever it was being used. She was on vacation in Mexico in 76 and was killed in a car wreck. Things started happening in the PDR. It didn't have an ice maker in the wait station like the other rooms, it just had a bin to keep ice in and you had to bring it out by bucket from the kitchen. Then it melted into a bucket that had to be carried back and dumped. After her death the ice seemed to melt much, much slower than normal. Hardly at all. Chairs seemed to arrange and straighten themselves if you left the room. There was a large, probably 4 by 6 foot, picture of a senorita (actually a portrait of the owners wife as a senorita) hanging on one wall. It was always crooked. But not after her death. It was always straight. Then there was the biggie. We had LOT'S of employee meetings. She had this thing of leaning back in a chair on the back two legs. Would always end up doing it during meetings and getting called out for it. Many of us, me included, would be one of the last to leave on some night and hear something in the PDR as we walked by. When you opened the door one random chair would be leaned back on it's back legs. As you came into the room it would set back down. As time went on all of these things faded and in a few months all was normal again.

capt_john_97
06-05-2011, 06:32 AM
Larry that is a good story. Would that be the Casa on 39th? or a different one. (I grew up northside so I dont know where any others were if there were any others in OKC...sorry)

Bill Robertson
06-05-2011, 06:58 AM
Yes. That's the place.

Larry OKC
06-06-2011, 12:49 AM
Yep, there was only 1 Casa Bonita in OKC (it was the first Casa, 1968-93). Locations in other cities include Little Rock, Tulsa, Ft. Worth (all closed) & Denver (still open). There were 2 Crystals Pizza here in the City (closed), where the new Chili's is at Council & Northwest Highway and southside @ 74th & Penn (in the strip mall end where Mazzio's is located). Last I read, there was still a Crystal's near the old Cowboy Stadium in the Dallas area. Multiple Taco Buenos. Later, the parent company also once owned the Black Eyed Peas (all closed here) but think they are still in operation in Texas.

But back to the haunting thread...It was the first i had heard of a haunting there.

gorillacandy
10-08-2011, 07:06 AM
I worked in a building just East North East of the Belle Isle shopping center. It was the old HomeBuilders Association building/ballroom. There were always voices coming from the kitchen area when noone was around. I've seen trash cans move and the sound of things being thrown in the trash cans. I've heard someone clear their throat when there were only two of us in the room but neither one of us did it. I walked into the room before and when I turned around to sit down, I heard a voice whisper my name right behind me. My supervisor would see shadows walking by when he was the only one in the office. Another coworker would see the Christmas tree lights go on and off in the same area as the kitchen. A worker was sleeping there one night when he heard a cabinet door in the kitchen slam shut but he was the only one in the building. Another worker was in the kitchen with the refrigerator door open and when he closed it, he saw a guy standing right there! It startled him and when he looked again, the man was gone. When we moved buildings, more things happened in the new building (30 year old building in the basement). A girl saw her pen roll over on her desk without touching it. My drawer on my desk came open by itself twice and one of the times, a girl saw it open while my back was turned. It didn't just slide open because it was too rigid. A guy saw a picture of his son rise an eighth of an inch and then fall. My office was next to the kitchen and I would hear someone messing around with the coffee pot but noone was in the kitchen. The cleaning crew at night (one or two persons) could feel someone watching them as they worked. All of this is real. I have no reason to make any of this up.