View Full Version : OG&E Summer Tier Pricing Starts Today

venture
06-01-2011, 12:27 PM
Just a reminder to those that are on the smart grid tier pricing for the summer. Everything starts today with peak times being between 2 and 7 PM.

Looks like this week off peak prices are $0.05 per kWh and peak pricing is $0.25 per kWh. Typical average price outside of this was around $0.08...so watch your usage so you don't get a shock on your bill.

Thunder
06-06-2011, 05:13 AM
Are you on it?

BBatesokc
06-06-2011, 06:31 AM
Anyone heard if there are any plans to stop/change the year round fixed pricing option? We participate in that and our current contract expires in July. Since I work from home mostly during peak hours, I'm not interested in Smart Grid pricing if I can avoid it.

However, I wonder if my rates will go up anyway if they start averaging my bill based on my now high peak usage?

Thunder
06-06-2011, 09:19 AM
Mom is on the contracted fixed price for whole year. They recently breached it and added $20 to it. She is pissed.

oneforone
06-06-2011, 09:49 AM
At $0.25 per kWh you might as well shut down air conditioner, open the windows and unplug everything.

venture
06-06-2011, 11:36 AM
Its down to 0.23 for this week. Woohoo! LOL

Setting the AC to 78 during the peak time seems to help keep things pretty steady through the day - cost wise.

BBatesokc
06-06-2011, 11:40 AM
Its down to 0.23 for this week. Woohoo! LOL

Setting the AC to 78 during the peak time seems to help keep things pretty steady through the day - cost wise.

I couldn't work at home at 78 degrees. Keep mine on 70 all the time.

venture
06-06-2011, 03:46 PM

I guess it depends on what you do. LOL I keep it at 78 during the peak time, but also have a little box fan near me. Keeps it just fine. Of course I'm just plucking away typing code so it is about as boring work as you can get.

ljbab728
06-06-2011, 09:18 PM

OMG, you must be very warm natured. I would be sitting around in my long johns covered in a snuggie with the temp set at 70. LOL

Thunder
06-06-2011, 10:46 PM
Around here, its a constant fight with the AC. Bro and his girl (yes, they are committing adultery before marriage) always turn it down cold. Mom would complain that its too cold, but I tell her that its not. She would turn it up. They would turn it down. Sometime during the day when it gets too warm inside, I would secretly turn it down and the blame goes on them. I now have a fan blowing in my room, because it heats up fast with the lights above the tank.

ljbab728
06-06-2011, 11:18 PM
Around here, its a constant fight with the AC. Bro and his girl (yes, they are committing adultery before marriage) always turn it down cold. Mom would complain that its too cold, but I tell her that its not. She would turn it up. They would turn it down. Sometime during the day when it gets too warm inside, I would secretly turn it down and the blame goes on them. I now have a fan blowing in my room, because it heats up fast with the lights above the tank.

Thunder, I'm thinking that whoever contributes the most to paying your bill should get first dibs on thermostat.

Thunder
06-06-2011, 11:49 PM
Thunder, I'm thinking that whoever contributes the most to paying your bill should get first dibs on thermostat.

That would be mom and I. We split around random. Brother does not want to pay anything. He thinks everything is his and free. He brought his girl to move in free without permission.

ljbab728
06-06-2011, 11:56 PM
That would be mom and I. We split around random. Brother does not want to pay anything. He thinks everything is his and free. He brought his girl to move in free without permission.

Well I'm not going to tell you how to handle that but I know what I would do. LOL

blangtang
06-07-2011, 12:29 AM
I live in a crappy 1910 built house with some blown in insulation but it has trouble keeping 20 degrees below the outside temp. therm was set at 78 today and in the afternoon i looked out at the therm and it was about 97. the dang thing runs constantly.

Larry OKC
06-07-2011, 03:04 AM
This is not good. I also keep mine at 70 to 72 degrees year around. With fans running in every room. Today it felt a little warm to me (woak up in a sweat). Checked the therm and it was a little higher than normal (but had left the bathroom light on). Air wasn't running non stop but the next time it kicked on again (just a few minutes) the air coming out felt cooler than the surrounding. Put the reader in the vent and it was blowing out 72 degree air. Won't get the apt down to that temp if thats what it is starting out at. Will see what it is when I get home this morning.

Dont think I am on the smart grid thing but have the averaging (where it does fluctuate but not by much month to month. They tried to sign me up for the "guaranteed" billing, but it would have been higher. Thanks but no thanks.

BBatesokc
06-07-2011, 05:54 AM
That's the one thing about our crappy little 70's house. Even with the temp at 70 or so, our fixed rate is really low and the air only cuts on every few hours - even when its hitting upper 90's outside. But first thing we did when we moved in was buy a larger A/C unit, remove the original rolled in insulation and added a much higher rated, added knockout curtains to all windows and replaced several of the large old multi-pane picture windows with nice low-e windows with no individual panes.

windowphobe
06-07-2011, 07:05 PM
I keep things at about 74 year-round. Only on the hottest days does the A/C fail to deliver. (Little 1940s house.)

RadioOKC
06-09-2011, 10:57 PM
about 76 here. I noticed someone saying they were fighting over the inside temps. Here is a quick resolution. Have the person complaining
take a walk around the block then judge the inside temp. Works like a charm :)

Chris
www.radiookc.com

Thunder
06-10-2011, 12:04 AM
about 76 here. I noticed someone saying they were fighting over the inside temps. Here is a quick resolution. Have the person complaining
take a walk around the block then judge the inside temp. Works like a charm :)

Chris
www.radiookc.com

Nope. We're working on getting them out of here. :-D

BBatesokc
07-15-2011, 07:51 PM
Just got our letter from OG&E about or fixed pricing contract ending this month. Unbelievably, they are lowering our rate for the next 12 months to only $115/month from $142!!!!!! And I keep the temp on 70-72 degrees with lots of electronics on all day. Not to mention I often turn on the window unit in the pool house (coverted into a workout room). I am very happy!

venture
07-15-2011, 09:49 PM
Not too shabby. Shocked they would allow it if they have such high cost issues that require them to keep declaring so many Critical Energy Use days. They did it again today from 1pm to 9pm but charging people on the "Time-of-Use Rate" plans 46 cents per kilowatt hour. Went back over to Average Monthly Billing which dropped me into the low $130s...from the typical $250ish I would pay for the summer months.

rcjunkie
07-15-2011, 09:52 PM
Wish we had OG&E at Tenkiller, my montlhy bill avg. about $240 per month.

RTwinkie
07-18-2012, 12:13 PM
Not too shabby. Shocked they would allow it if they have such high cost issues that require them to keep declaring so many Critical Energy Use days. They did it again today from 1pm to 9pm but charging people on the "Time-of-Use Rate" plans 46 cents per kilowatt hour. Went back over to Average Monthly Billing which dropped me into the low $130s...from the typical $250ish I would pay for the summer months.

Hi, I just found this forum and joined. I see folks mentioning that "they", OGE, went up on rates for a particular day. So, my question is, how does one learn that these rates are being changed. So as to allow one to be pro-active.
Thanks,
Dave

stick47
07-19-2012, 05:22 AM
When you sign up for the program they email you the day before to notify you what the following days rate will be between 2PM and 7 PM. I received an email at 3PM yesterday that today's rate is 23 cents. Due to the heavy A/C demand I suppose.

RTwinkie
07-19-2012, 08:06 AM
When you sign up for the program they email you the day before to notify you what the following days rate will be between 2PM and 7 PM. I received an email at 3PM yesterday that today's rate is 23 cents. Due to the heavy A/C demand I suppose.

Thanks, stick47! We are building a new energy efficient house and will most likely sign up when completed. Right now living in an RV is NOT like camping out. LOL!

Larry OKC
07-24-2012, 11:51 AM
Did you catch the updated price? They doubled it from the 23 cents they told you to 46 cents (see the Smart Meter thread http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=30747&p=556827#post556827)

MikeOKC
07-24-2012, 12:15 PM

Websters alternative definition of crooks:

"OG&E"

First quarter profits for 2012: 24.8 Million dollars.

CEO Peter Delaney 2011 base salary: $5,360,990.00
Sean Traucschke 2011 base salary... $1,446,110.00
E. Keith Marshall 2011 base salary...: $1,128,280.00

They even pay their PR guy, Paul Renfro, half a million dollars a year.

This is for a public utility. (For profit, of course.)

Power For Profit is working out wonderfully for OG&E.

God Bless America.

onthestrip
07-24-2012, 01:33 PM
Wow. I had no idea OG&E's CEO got paid that much. Total BS in my opinion. What does he even have to do as a CEO of a public utility company? AM I wrong to think that there a millions of people out there that could do the job just as well?

WilliamTell
07-24-2012, 03:11 PM
I've said it in other threads, but smart hours is a scam and is the same scam that enron ran.....

BoulderSooner
07-25-2012, 08:46 AM
Wow. I had no idea OG&E's CEO got paid that much. Total BS in my opinion. What does he even have to do as a CEO of a public utility company? AM I wrong to think that there a millions of people out there that could do the job just as well?

not close to the truth ..

HewenttoJared
07-25-2012, 08:47 AM

I would guess you are wrong about others doing his job, but I agree that the pay seems exorbitant.

onthestrip
07-25-2012, 09:49 AM
not close to the truth ..

Ok, hundreds of thousands could do his job. It's not like og&e is apple or citi bank. The only thing that would seem difficult is when it comes time to build new power plants. The other times it would appear you just keep on letting those power plants run and bill people as they use it. Knowing that they were granted a rate hike recently with a CEO making $5+ mil doesn't sit well.

HewenttoJared
07-25-2012, 11:00 AM
Over three thousand employees. His job is not easy unless he has an incredible set of people immediately under him.

BoulderSooner
07-25-2012, 11:08 AM
Over three thousand employees. His job is not easy unless he has an incredible set of people immediately under him.

we agree ..

BBatesokc
07-25-2012, 11:17 AM

That's an extremely naive statement. While his salary seems up there, I'm certainly in no position to know if its fair or not for what he does, has done and has planned.

NoOkie
07-25-2012, 11:28 AM
That's an extremely naive statement. While his salary seems up there, I'm certainly in no position to know if its fair or not for what he does, has done and has planned.

Seems high to me. The base salary of the CEO of my company is $1.2 million. We have 40,000+ employees and billions in revenue.

Admittedly, there are a lot of performance incentives and equity awards tacked onto it, but the base is significantly lower.

BoulderSooner
07-25-2012, 11:48 AM
Seems high to me. The base salary of the CEO of my company is $1.2 million. We have 40,000+ employees and billions in revenue.

Admittedly, there are a lot of performance incentives and equity awards tacked onto it, but the base is significantly lower.

with out the total compensation /responsibilities of both ... it is hard to compare ....

i will say that good executive leadership is a very scarce thing and companies pay to get the right person

Larry OKC
07-26-2012, 09:59 AM
And it gets passed on to the ratepayers...adjusting the amount charged by as much as 10 times...at their whim

BBatesokc
07-26-2012, 10:09 AM

Its all relative. There are lawyers in this city that make far more than your CEO and they may only have less than a dozen employees. A young guy (40's) I know owns a telecommunications company with only about 1,000 employees and he makes around $250,000/month base. Its impossible to justify salaries simply by the number of employees and revenue.

People point fingers at pastors with high salaries, though most of those high salaries are because the pastor has a very low base and gets a percentage of what he can attract in donations. The better the church does, the better he does.

BBatesokc
10-02-2012, 03:48 PM
Summer pricing just recently ended - we just got our "Here's how you stack up with Smart Hours."

We were only on it two months, but the first month we saved $81 and the second we saved $68.

Not bad. Now that the Smart Hours are over, I can set it wherever I want and still pay less than customers not on Smart Hours without even trying.

WilliamTell
10-02-2012, 04:29 PM
Summer pricing just recently ended - we just got our "Here's how you stack up with Smart Hours."

We were only on it two months, but the first month we saved $81 and the second we saved $68.

Not bad. Now that the Smart Hours are over, I can set it wherever I want and still pay less than customers not on Smart Hours without even trying.

Wait till next year after your locked in. Sucker.

pw405
10-02-2012, 06:11 PM
And it gets passed on to the ratepayers...adjusting the amount charged by as much as 10 times...at their whim

Larry, you never pay more than 10x the normal price. The normal price they charge is 12 cents. That's what you or anybody else pays with the normal plan or fixed monthly billing. Maybe it's like 11.3 or something, I'm on an iPad so I'm rounding!

By participating in smart hours, you get a steep discount during off peak times, more than half what you "fixed rate suckers" pay.

So, saying you pay 10x the normal rate is not factual. Let's try this: "OGE will charge up to 4x the normal rate they charge customers who do not participate smart hours"

If you insist on using your 10% figure, you'll want to use this one: " OGE will charge up to 10x the off-peak price to customers who participate in Smart Hours. These are the only customers who get to pay the discounted rate"

The off peak rate is not available to customers who don't use smart hours.

Having said that, my energy costs for the summer were of course the lowest they have ever been. Overall, I was very happy with smart hours, it was only an issue back when it was 110 outside, the house would get quite warm during the day. Luckily, I live in a home that has a great AC and great insulation, so it was cooled quite rapidly.

I agree that the program may not be for everybody, or even for some peoples schedule. If I got home at 4pm, I don't know if I would be too crazy about being hot, but it's honestly not THAT expensive to run just the AC for a while.

When I am back on the desktop, I'll provide some analysis regarding the peak rates, etc.

pw405
10-02-2012, 06:17 PM
Double post

Larry OKC
10-02-2012, 07:32 PM
pw405: the 10 times was apparently a lower figure than the info others posted in the other thread. It is really up to 17 times as much or 1700%. Totally at their discretion. Do you get charged at a lower "regular" rate than others at times? Absolutely. But it doesn't take to many of those days when they can charge you the up to 17 times rate (and everything that falls in between) to make up for any savings.

Just the facts
10-02-2012, 07:54 PM
One thing is for sure - OG&E isn't going to do anything that reduces their revenue. Even if person A turns off their AC unit that doesn't mean OG&E cuts back on electicity production by the same amount. Less load on the grid just causes items still using power to use more.

BBatesokc
10-02-2012, 08:09 PM
Wait till next year after your locked in. Sucker.

That statement makes no sense at all.

pw405
10-03-2012, 02:25 PM
pw405: the 10 times was apparently a lower figure than the info others posted in the other thread. It is really up to 17 times as much or 1700%. Totally at their discretion. Do you get charged at a lower "regular" rate than others at times? Absolutely. But it doesn't take to many of those days when they can charge you the up to 17 times rate (and everything that falls in between) to make up for any savings.

17 times? Show me the numbers.

The lowest price you can pay is 4.5 cents. 17 x 4.5 = 76.5 cents per kwh.

After showing me the numbers, pass whatever you are smoking because I want to be so high that 76.5 = 50!

pw405
10-03-2012, 02:26 PM
That statement makes no sense at all.

Lol, ya... "oh no, don't lock me in to something that is cheaper"

pw405
10-03-2012, 02:28 PM

Also, the price can be at their discretion... BUT they can only charge for 120 hours of critical peak per year, some of which needs to reserved for winter when ice takes out power too.

SSEiYah
10-03-2012, 04:02 PM
Over last 4 months my bills this year are $321 smaller than last summer (june-sept). Not bad.

WilliamTell
10-03-2012, 04:16 PM
Lol, ya... "oh no, don't lock me in to something that is cheaper"

Im letting you Guinea pigs do the test run. One thing that Ive learned is that a company would never launch a new product or billing system to save existing customers money. And that anything that lets me come and go for a trial year and then after the trial period is over locks me into the new system never works out to my benefit.

bombermwc
10-04-2012, 07:00 AM
There was a whole thread on this and how it saves money. So I'm not going into a long story about it all over again.

I will say that I got a flyer last week that showed that i was in the top tier of savers over this summer's season. Not only did it show my usage and cost, but it showed what it would have been had I not been on smart hours. Guess what folks, I saved over $400 over the course of the season compared to what I would have paid if I weren't a smart hours customer.

So be a doubter all you want, i'm done trying to get people to listen. All i know is it did for me, exactlly that it said it would do. Save. Flat out, no hidden anything. Just save.

BBatesokc
10-04-2012, 09:24 AM
Im letting you Guinea pigs do the test run. One thing that Ive learned is that a company would never launch a new product or billing system to save existing customers money. And that anything that lets me come and go for a trial year and then after the trial period is over locks me into the new system never works out to my benefit.

I'd really appreciate if you'd explain this line of thought. I just called OG&E and asked if I'm EVER locked into the program and they said "No." I was told it is 100% voluntary and you can get out and go to any other program you want whenever you want - no obligation, no fee, nada.

Do you know something I don't, they were not disclosing - or are you perpetuating misinformation?

Larry OKC
10-04-2012, 11:20 AM
17 times? Show me the numbers.

The lowest price you can pay is 4.5 cents. 17 x 4.5 = 76.5 cents per kwh.

After showing me the numbers, pass whatever you are smoking because I want to be so high that 76.5 = 50!
Originally posted by venture79 over in this thread that you commented in but your post was before his, so you may have missed it...
http://www.okctalk.com/current-events-open-topic/30747-og-e-smart-hours-pricing-alerts-7.html#post566213

During 2PM-7PM your rate can be any of the following:
Low Rate: $0.027 (which has happened several times this summer)
Standard Rate: $0.068 (more typical, such as this is the rate for tomorrow/Monday)
Medium Rate: $0.14
High Rate: $0.38
Critical Rate: $0.46 (just a handful of events per year)

The difference between the per/kw low rate ($0.027) and the highest rate ($0.46) = 1700% or 17 times as much. Non-smoker of any type here. :)

venture
10-04-2012, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by venture79 over in this thread that you commented in but your post was before his, so you may have missed it...
http://www.okctalk.com/current-events-open-topic/30747-og-e-smart-hours-pricing-alerts-7.html#post566213

The difference between the per/kw low rate ($0.027) and the highest rate ($0.46) = 1700% or 17 times as much. Non-smoker of any type here. :)

Apparently there might have been some inaccuracies in the numbers I posted. As they switched to start including taxes I think with the rates.

Weekday RatePeriodPrice per kWh

Off peak
12am -2pm$0.0450

On peak
2pm -7pmLow
$0.0450Standard
$0.1130High
$0.2300Critical
$0.4600

Off peak
7pm -12am$0.0450Weekend Rate
(Not shown in bar chart)PeriodPrice per kWhOff peak12am -12am$0.0450
For comparison here is the winter plan as well.

Winter rate planBlock rate plankWh usedPrice per kWh

Winter-1
0-600$0.0573

Winter-2
600+$0.0173

stick47
10-04-2012, 06:17 PM
I wonder if there was an inaccuracy in Larry OKC's earlier post where he said his average KW/hour rate was .08 cents. Considering that the above chart shows the standard rate being .11 cents, something doesn't jibe. (?)

pw405
10-04-2012, 07:18 PM
I wonder if there was an inaccuracy in Larry OKC's earlier post where he said his average KW/hour rate was .08 cents. Considering that the above chart shows the standard rate being .11 cents, something doesn't jibe. (?)

I think their is a tax we are all missing with he rates, they say 4.5 in the literature, but on www.myogerpower.com it says it is $.06

Never ever heard of it being .02 cents, but that would be nice!

Larry OKC
10-05-2012, 10:03 PM
Went back and looked at my post in question in the other thread (http://www.okctalk.com/current-events-open-topic/30747-og-e-smart-hours-pricing-alerts-8.html#post566930), compared it with that bill for the month in question...

Avg billing, w/taxes & fees = = 0.0807498 p/kwh
Actual usage, w/taxes & fees = 0.1126315 p/kwh

What I paid that month was slightly less than the rate that stick47 said he paid (0.084) on the Smart plan, don't know if his figure included taxes & fees etc.

stick47
10-06-2012, 05:04 AM
I emailed them and received no reply. :dontgetit