View Full Version : Mexican Grocery

rjstone208
05-29-2011, 12:53 PM
Really looking for two things. What/where are best Mexican groceries in OKC metro? Is there a restaurant that has Mayan cuisine?

metro
05-29-2011, 04:23 PM
El Mariachi is probably the most popular, I tend to go based upon what I'm getting.

Mastermind
04-05-2013, 12:00 AM
I'm sorry for reviving this old thread, but I'm trying to find this new Mexican/Asian grocery that's supposed to officially open on April 15th.. I was at the Korean market in Moore, and someone told me about it. She didn't give me the exact address, only that it's near NW (or NE?) 10th? Apparently the prices are much lower than the other Korean markets in Oklahoma, and already a lot of people have checked the place out. They don't have everything set up, but they've opened their doors.. If it has a good selection of Korean stuff, then I'd be ecstatic, because I hate driving all the way to Moore or Del City.. Thank you!!

Mastermind
04-06-2013, 11:17 AM
Since I can't edit my post...

Turns out it's between 16th and May. It used to be a "full" Mexican market, but the new owners are Korean, so it will now sell half Korean/Asian items too.

stick47
04-06-2013, 05:12 PM
That might be the one that was "Mercado" there at NW 16th & Drexel (West of May) Mercado was a Mexican supermarket. If it was bought out by Koreans that's good for us too. We've been driving from Mustang to Del City at least once a month.

stick47
04-07-2013, 05:08 PM
Took the Wife to Mercado at 16th & Drexel at 4 pm today. They had about anything in the way of Korean and Mexican food. The building was a Safeway in the 1970s so there's plenty of room for it all but it's just about all full.

MsDarkstar
04-07-2013, 06:39 PM
There's a new Mexican grocery store in Moore, Supermercados Morelos. It's in the New City Center shopping center (by Himalayas). I haven't been but I've heard good things about it.

Roger S
04-07-2013, 08:28 PM
The one in Moore is not bad. It's kind of like an Aldi version of the bigger mercados around OKC.

The produce all looks great and they have a decent meat selection...... Only problem I see for them is that the first taqueria in Moore (Taqueria Juanes) recently closed because most people in Moore are used to Okie-Mex and didn't appreciate authentic Mexican.

I've been to Morelo's quite a few times but they are never very busy and I'm afraid they are suffering the same issues as Taqueria Juanes did.

Their lesser options can be an issue too. I stopped in after work to get some meat a couple of weeks ago and they didn't have what I was looking for. So I had to turn around and drive back to the mercado at 59th and Walker to get the meat I was looking for.

Martin
04-07-2013, 09:19 PM
the mercado at 59th and Walker

i really liked that place but haven't been there since it was el mariachi... has anything changed for the worse since buy 4 less took over? -M

Roger S
04-08-2013, 07:23 AM
i really liked that place but haven't been there since it was el mariachi... has anything changed for the worse since buy 4 less took over? -M

Nope... About the only change I noticed was the name. Everything else stayed the same.

flintysooner
04-08-2013, 07:40 AM
Enjoyed lunch at the Moore store not long ago - pretty good.

stick47
04-15-2013, 04:56 AM
For anyone interested, the grand opening of the Mercado grocery at NW 16th & Drexel will be Wed, Apr 17.

Mastermind
05-01-2013, 05:15 PM
So is the place called Mercado? I still saw El Mariachi throughout the market, and was confused..
The Korean (part?) of the market is part of a chain from Texas called Terry's. I was surprised to see they had a flyer in the weekly snail mail spam a few weeks ago.
The first time I went was when they weren't officially open, but going yesterday, the Korean selection was satisfying enough for me that I really don't think I need to go to the Korean markets in Del City and Moore anymore. Prices are amazing, employees are very attentive... and since I have a growing interest in making Mexican dishes, I can save so much time just shopping here :D

In case anyone's looking for the actual address:

3020 NW 16th Street
Oklahoma City, OK 73107-4721

stick47
05-01-2013, 05:27 PM
It was a Mercado before it was sold to the Korean owners. It took a while to change the sign I guess. Yes the prices are very good and I even liked the music.

MWCGuy
05-05-2013, 12:55 AM
Where is the market in Del City?

stick47
05-05-2013, 06:11 AM
There's one in the strip mall at 44th and Sunnylane. We traded most at the Komart at 6000 SE 15th St in
Midwest City, OK.

The names on the sign at the store at 16th & Drexel are Terrys El Mariachi and Super Macado is written beneath that.