View Full Version : Is this just the way it is now?

lake hefner breeze
05-29-2011, 02:22 AM
I was getting gas at 7-11 a few days ago when a conservatively dressed twenty-something man pulls up to the pump next to me in a nice late model pick-up truck. He gets out and leaves the door open while going inside to pre-pay. During the next 2-3 minutes the hip hop music he is playing is so extremely loud you could easily hear it across the street. The words Motherf***er, Ni**er, and Bi**h were shouted in this song at least 20 times. I am not exaggerating at all here. The man comes back, pumps his gas, gets in his truck and leaves. I didn't say anything, even though I wanted to. I was glad that I didn't have any children with me because I am certain that I would have felt even more compelled to say something. It is in my nature to speak up in situations like this, but something told me not to this time. I normally get gas at a nicer place but I was in a hurry that day and I suppose it could happen just about anywhere. I am not a stranger to music like this, but I would never assault anyone with it in this way. It's sickening. I called the local police after I got home and they said that I can always contact them and they will come out, but they went on to say that there is actually nothing they can do about it except ask the person to turn it down, but the person doesn't have to. And the vulgar language being played out loud doesn't break any laws, either.

What would you do in this situation?

Easy180
05-29-2011, 04:56 AM
Probably thought everyone thought he was cool so left it blaring....Same mentality at car washes

I doubt I would have said anything even if I had my kids in the car as you just get all kinds of classy at gas stations...Probably would use it as an example of what not to do when they grow up

bucktalk
05-29-2011, 06:21 AM
I've been known to speak up in this kind of situations of the years. Personally the timing, location and the general mood of the other person is crucial as well as my attitude. When I've tried to simply engage someone in conversation it works pretty well. My caution would be not to speak to someone if your emotions are not in control. THE MAJOR problem is FAR too many people were raised where there as been NO respect for others taught at home. Sadly for far too many people their world is small and they think only of themselves. If people, no matter what age, think no one else matters but themselves then offensive, self-centered actions is what we have to deal with. Come on parents...do your job!!!

PennyQuilts
05-29-2011, 06:45 AM
Give it up. Far too many of the twenty something crowd's parents have run interference for their kids for years, buying them "stuff," doing their homework, finding them jobs, creating a self absorbed mentality that expects the world to be handed to them, and keeping them in school on their nickle years beyond when they should have been pulling their own weight. Face it, many of these grown children are still adolescents who have been turned loose on us because they are technically adults. They are kept in school long enough to feel superior to the rest of the world even when they have had little real life experience to temper what they learned in a classroom.

Until parents are called on poor parenting while the kids are little, and until they figure out that the goal of parenting is to create civilized, self sustaining adults, we'll continue to have this sort of self absorbed behavior. We are living in a culture where everyone gets a ribbon and having the slightest standard for appropriate social behavior is being "judgmental." I was raised where kids were fed last, where they washed the dishes (even at large family gatherings) and where they didn't leave the dinner table until everyone was finished. We worked as teens to help pay the bills and buy our clothes. Not just the poor kids - even the middle class did this. We believed it helped build character - something sorely lacking in many of the young to the point where it is not even on the radar. It didn't hurt anyone and what it taught respect for others and the notion that we are all in this together and that our rights ended where the rights of others began. I cannot remember the last time I saw a family gathering where the kids weren't fed first or where they were around to clean up the mess. I can't remember the last time I went to a family restaurant where the kids weren't absorbed in a video game or a phone while the rest of the family carried on a coversation. I see middle class dads who work all week out mowing the lawn on the weekend while their teenaged kids are off in a new car having fun.

We raised uncivilzed kids who are producing savages.

FRISKY
05-29-2011, 07:17 AM
We raised uncivilized kids who are producing savages....That have no appreciation for good music.

Thunder
05-29-2011, 08:18 AM
It was easy to just close the door. :-)

HewenttoJared
05-29-2011, 08:28 AM
Damn those twenty-somethings, you know how they all are!

The agism in this thread reeks.

You know what i hate? How old people are ignorant and technophobic. (It's not true but stereotyping is a fine way to bond, right?)

Bunty
05-29-2011, 12:48 PM
It was easy to just close the door. :-)

I wonder if he left his keys in the ignition? If so, someone should have reached in and silenced the music by turning the key. It would have given him a strong hint while reminding him not to leave the keys in your vehicle.

kevinpate
05-29-2011, 01:37 PM
I wonder if he left his keys in the ignition? If so, someone should have reached in and silenced the music by turning the key. It would have given him a strong hint while reminding him not to leave the keys in your vehicle.

I really doubt I would react well if I saw a stranger reaching or leaning into my ride, so no reason to assume it wouldn't bother some one else. I might be inclined to push a door close though.

Pete
05-29-2011, 02:05 PM
I don't like this sort of thing either but I decided a while ago to choose not to let such people bother me. Otherwise, you are giving others too much power over you.

The few times I lost my patience and interceded, I later regretted having acted.

I may have shared this story but about a year ago I was standing in a long security line at LAX that was outside along the curb. I had allowed plenty of time but the length of the line was starting to make me nervous about making an important flight -- and it was getting much longer behind me. Before long I noticed a young woman come stand near the line in front of me (about six people ahead) and pull out paperwork and seemed to be looking through it. Then, she just stepped into the line.

It was an obvious and intentional little ploy and having seen it clearly, I immediately stepped up to her and said, "Excuse me ma'am but the end of the line is way back there." She didn't even look at me. I said it again -- absolutely no reaction. I briefly contemplated getting a security guard but realized this was all getting silly, so I just said: "I saw exactly what you did. I guess the rules don't apply to you."

Unfortunately for her, when we advanced inside the crowd had to snake it's way between ropes and she had to face me several more times. Of course, she never looked up the entire time.

My girlfriend at the time was traveling with me and it was clear she wasn't happy about my choosing to confront the woman. Her point was that it didn't change anything and all it did was make me angrier. I countered that at some point you have to draw the line and at least next time this person might think twice.

After some time passed, I began to think my girlfriend had been right. What this woman did wasn't a huge thing -- it didn't really impact me in any important way -- and my interaction with her just made me more upset.

I tend to be the type of person that acts but in situations like the one at the gas station (and this happens all the time here in California) I just take a deep breath and try not to let one idiot get to me.

Now, if I saw someone attacking another or committing a crime, that's another matter. But I really try to let little things go.

Easy180
05-29-2011, 05:47 PM
I'm with Pete...Just isnt worth the trouble in most cases

MikeOKC
05-29-2011, 06:07 PM
I'm with Pete...Just isnt worth the trouble in most cases

I agree. There was a day when the most that might happen is a little shouting, shoving and the finger. Today, you're just as likely to get shot.

adaniel
05-29-2011, 06:21 PM
Damn those twenty-somethings, you know how they all are!

The agism in this thread reeks.

You know what i hate? How old people are ignorant and technophobic. (It's not true but stereotyping is a fine way to bond, right?)

This. You can certainly hate the music but how does listening to it make you uncivilized and savages? The guy was well dressed and was driving a nice truck. Although I think its completely inappropriate to be blaring that music, he obviously had it together enough.

Hey, you know what? I'm fairly young, college educated, have a pretty good job and most friends say I have my stuff in order and sometimes I like to crank Lil Wayne going home from work. A good stress reliever. I don't blast it in public but if I did it doesn't make me a bad person.

It can certainly be frustrating when some people demostrate a lack of public decorum, but its just as bad to get hung up on it and let it ruin your day when if fact it has no effect on your well being. Just shake your head and move along.

HewenttoJared
05-29-2011, 08:30 PM
http://images4.cpcache.com/product/woman-wife-values/41020204v6_225x225_Front.jpg

Just because something in public bothers you doesn't make it right to change it.

MikeOKC
05-29-2011, 08:59 PM
http://images4.cpcache.com/product/woman-wife-values/41020204v6_225x225_Front.jpg

Just because something in public bothers you doesn't make it right to change it.

I don't get it. Heterosexual marriage bothers you? As they say, it's what makes the world go 'round.

lake hefner breeze
05-30-2011, 05:56 AM
Well...I shouldn't have included that he was twenty-something in my original post as it has colored the commentary somewhat. It really was not my intention to indicate that his age was somehow a factor in his actions, I was simply trying to add detail to the scenario that I was in. I guess it's a good thing that I didn't add the fact that he was black, too. Then it would have been all about racism. The bottom line for me is that I hate inconsiderate behavior and I don't see how anyone with any sense could think that what occurred is acceptable, no matter what age or race is involved.

My hope is that next time this guy does this it will be in front of the wrong person and he will get his schooling. Because I am not interested in living in a world where this type of thing is just allowed to go on. Maybe it's time to even the playing field with a concealed carry license and my own 9 mm, because this felt like an open act of hostility. It might make me more comfortable about leaning over with a smile and shouting to him above the music: "Hey, I really like this song! Especially the part where they scream N***er." Then we'll see who is offended.

@HewenttoJared: So agism on a public forum offends you, but then you go on to say "Just because something in public bothers you doesn't make it right to change it." I wish someone would pull up next to you blaring a song that shouts "All twenty-somethings are LOSERS!" Then maybe you would begin to understand how I feel instead of getting all butthurt and taking the thread off-topic.

@PennyQuilts: Even though I completely agree with you about twenty-somethings, this was not the thread to blog about it on. I indicated in the last line of my original post that I am looking for answers to what people would do in this situation. You're advice to "give it up" would have sufficed. (Though it wasn't helpful.)

@Pete Brzycki: I think you did the right thing with that woman at LAX regardless of the outcome. At least you tried and you set a good example for others that were there. Of course, things were considerably different in my scenario...

@Thunder: I now see why so many people on this site feel the way they do about you. Besides, the windows on the truck were rolled down.

@adaniel: It's sad that you can't understand how this situation could negatively affect a persons well being. Desensitized by too much Lil Wayne, perhaps?

Spartan
05-30-2011, 06:09 AM
I was getting gas at 7-11 a few days ago when a conservatively dressed twenty-something man pulls up to the pump next to me in a nice late model pick-up truck. He gets out and leaves the door open while going inside to pre-pay. During the next 2-3 minutes the hip hop music he is playing is so extremely loud you could easily hear it across the street. The words Motherf***er, Ni**er, and Bi**h were shouted in this song at least 20 times. I am not exaggerating at all here. The man comes back, pumps his gas, gets in his truck and leaves. I didn't say anything, even though I wanted to. I was glad that I didn't have any children with me because I am certain that I would have felt even more compelled to say something. It is in my nature to speak up in situations like this, but something told me not to this time. I normally get gas at a nicer place but I was in a hurry that day and I suppose it could happen just about anywhere. I am not a stranger to music like this, but I would never assault anyone with it in this way. It's sickening. I called the local police after I got home and they said that I can always contact them and they will come out, but they went on to say that there is actually nothing they can do about it except ask the person to turn it down, but the person doesn't have to. And the vulgar language being played out loud doesn't break any laws, either.

What would you do in this situation?

I know in Moore you can get a ticket for music that's too loud. Ahhh high school... :P

Probably thought everyone thought he was cool so left it blaring....Same mentality at car washes

Ah like this?
3v8I5egzoMo

Give it up. Far too many of the twenty something crowd's parents have run interference for their kids for years, buying them "stuff," doing their homework, finding them jobs, creating a self absorbed mentality that expects the world to be handed to them, and keeping them in school on their nickle years beyond when they should have been pulling their own weight. Face it, many of these grown children are still adolescents who have been turned loose on us because they are technically adults. They are kept in school long enough to feel superior to the rest of the world even when they have had little real life experience to temper what they learned in a classroom.

Until parents are called on poor parenting while the kids are little, and until they figure out that the goal of parenting is to create civilized, self sustaining adults, we'll continue to have this sort of self absorbed behavior. We are living in a culture where everyone gets a ribbon and having the slightest standard for appropriate social behavior is being "judgmental." I was raised where kids were fed last, where they washed the dishes (even at large family gatherings) and where they didn't leave the dinner table until everyone was finished. We worked as teens to help pay the bills and buy our clothes. Not just the poor kids - even the middle class did this. We believed it helped build character - something sorely lacking in many of the young to the point where it is not even on the radar. It didn't hurt anyone and what it taught respect for others and the notion that we are all in this together and that our rights ended where the rights of others began. I cannot remember the last time I saw a family gathering where the kids weren't fed first or where they were around to clean up the mess. I can't remember the last time I went to a family restaurant where the kids weren't absorbed in a video game or a phone while the rest of the family carried on a coversation. I see middle class dads who work all week out mowing the lawn on the weekend while their teenaged kids are off in a new car having fun.

We raised uncivilzed kids who are producing savages.

Feel better now?

WilliamTell
05-30-2011, 06:26 AM
Each generation will think that the generation after them is disrespectful and inconsiderate.Over almost 15 years ago i remember young males (of any race) blaring their radios / tapes/ cds in their car and young teen aged males running out getting subwoofers and after market radios installed - the same still happens today. In fact I can remember being that very same idiot thinking it was cool. Its all about a persons maturity level.

A few weeks ago during prom season in our quite suburban neighborhood and a few houses down I could hear that my neighbors teenager was getting dropped off by a guy. Obviously this guy was really trying to impress her and he thought that by riding around with the bass thumping in his car would do the trick...

To be honest I was highly annoyed and actually went outside to walk down there and confront him because it was *gasp* 10:30 on a saturday night and how/why would this idiot do this. Once I got out there I realized that i was becoming the old angry man and that the kid wasnt hurting anything.

I guess my point is this, pick your battles and try to think back to when you were that age. Im pretty sure the majority of us used to do stupid things ourselves.

HewenttoJared
05-30-2011, 06:37 AM
I don't get it. Heterosexual marriage bothers you? As they say, it's what makes the world go 'round.

No, bumper stickers happily proclaiming the restriction of the rights of others bother me. I should have been more clear. But I don't go yelling at them to fix it.

Spartan
05-30-2011, 06:49 AM
HWTJ, I don't think there is very much "agism" in this thread except for pennyquilts who is just out there in left field as usual. I think people in this thread are just expressing annoyance at something that is very tacky. There are a lot of tacky things that bother me today, and I guess one could make the argument that the bar for tackiness is endlessly being raised.

bandnerd
05-30-2011, 07:12 AM
It would bother me now, it wouldn't have bothered me when I was 15-25. However, I wouldn't say anything. I listen to music that some on this forum might consider to be in bad taste (and it's all uncensored....oooooooooooh noooooooooo). Some might be offended if they popped their head in my car while I was gassing up.

Young whipper-snappers makin' a mess of the world.

Edmond_Outsider
05-30-2011, 07:51 AM
The term "savages" is a pretty good summary of a particular world view which tends to think baby boomers own all virtue and everything which happens in successive generations is by definition, evil.

I find that as one ages, you have the choice to be part of the world and remain relevant by accepting change as it happens or to live in a cacoon constructed of the fantasy era you were a child in. THat fantasy land presumes that all human evil has been invented by others born later. It further provides a convenient catch all excuse for every bad thing in the world...back in my day, nobody did x, y, or z.

It is harder to be part of the present and look forward to the future as you get older. However, the alternative is to render oneself irrelevent and just waste time, space, and resources until the reaper comes calling.

bucktalk
05-30-2011, 08:00 AM
"accepting change as it happens or to live in a cacoon constructed of the fantasy era you were a child in."

I'm not sure this issue is accepting changes in music as it is how self-centered, rude and lack of respect for others issue is running rampant. Regardless of musical tastes our culture has moved to a 'in your face' offensive kind of way. This rudeness and lack of civil behavior is absent from Washington DC to those who erroneously think crude dialog or music is acceptable. If accepting change is about accepting rudeness then I pity what kind of culture our grandkids will be experiencing.

Edmond_Outsider
05-30-2011, 08:01 AM
Little discourtousies are hard to take but not worth the aggrivation. Line cutting is immature and while I might, on occasion, say, the end of the line is back there, I'll not go further than that. Sometimes people don't know and a polite word allows them to save face or correct an honest mistake.

Loud and profane music is an irritant. However, I find older folks doing very similar things with talk radio which offends me far more than anybody's music. I allow each to do as they please. If it bothers me very much, I will go someplace else.

We always have a choice.

MadMonk
05-30-2011, 08:13 AM
It doesn't matter what age they are or what type of music, anyone who does that sort of thing is a jackass, to be laughed at and ridiculed, but that's about the extent of it. If your kids are around, use it as a teaching moment and an example of how not to act in public.

bucktalk
05-30-2011, 08:18 AM
I guess the tricky part is what is called 'community standards'. The meaning of community standards was determined by the supreme court many years ago when trying to give some direction regarding pornography. As best as I can remember the judges ruling said each community has to determine what their standards are. So I guess my question is what are acceptable community standards for us? I for one would prefer not to hear vile music in public, public fighting, public sex. Do what you want in private - but when it comes to the public - strive toward the minimal idea of respect for others.

HewenttoJared
05-30-2011, 09:03 AM
It doesn't matter what age they are or what type of music, anyone who does that sort of thing is a jackass, to be laughed at and ridiculed, but that's about the extent of it. If your kids are around, use it as a teaching moment and an example of how not to act in public.

Yep

Spartan
05-30-2011, 09:39 AM
Little discourtousies are hard to take but not worth the aggrivation. Line cutting is immature and while I might, on occasion, say, the end of the line is back there, I'll not go further than that. Sometimes people don't know and a polite word allows them to save face or correct an honest mistake.

Loud and profane music is an irritant. However, I find older folks doing very similar things with talk radio which offends me far more than anybody's music. I allow each to do as they please. If it bothers me very much, I will go someplace else.

We always have a choice.

How dare you say that about talk radio, they speak the truth on talk radio. Maybe if you weren't too busy listening to music and all the lies everywhere else you'd know what's actually going on and who exactly is ruining our culture.

(Just kidding.. thought I'd save us another post from those people)

earlywinegareth
05-30-2011, 12:48 PM
I usually say something cuz I'm 6'2", 250 lbs, and a natural born smarta$$. But the guy is obviously a tool and a product of poor upbringing.

I did succeed once with a line-cutting family at the airport. They quietly sidled their way into the express line then darted over to the front of the non-express line. I was about 3rd in line and when they tried to make their move, I pushed up and loudly spoke up, "EXCUSE ME, THERE IS A LINE HERE AND YOU CAN'T CUT TO THE FRONT AHEAD OF ALL OF US." The lady at the desk took my side, obviously she could read their guilty expressions and gucci bags.

After getting thru security, the daughter came over to me and said, "thanks a lot, a-hole." As I said, I'm a natural-born wiseguy, so I came back, with "oh poor little princess had to wait in line like everyone else, she don't feel so special anymore, please don't cry!"

bornhere
05-30-2011, 01:01 PM
Getting back to the original post... it's not clear from what you wrote exactly how loud this music was, but we do have a noise ordinance in OKC that supposedly prohibits the 'bump in the trunk' stuff we hear all the time. It isn't enforced.

bucktalk
05-30-2011, 02:49 PM
Maybe we could prepare for blaring obnoxious music by some of our own - to play at the same volume level. In thinking of opposites - maybe playin some Willie Nelson or southern gospel - against crude rap might work? Surely those would be opposites on the music chart. Dueling sound systems?

bandnerd
05-30-2011, 03:30 PM
I'm sure everyone in this thread has done nothing when they were young to annoy their elders. Ever. Squeaky clean pasts, yup.

HewenttoJared
05-30-2011, 03:46 PM
I usually crank Lonely Mountain when someone flexes their speaker-muscles around me.

Dustin
05-30-2011, 03:59 PM
I have a very good sound system with a good sized sub in my truck that I LOVE to blare extremely loud while going down the highway. They only time I have it turned down is when I'm at a stop light or about to get out of my truck. I would never park it and leave my music blaring while I went in somewhere to get a drink or whatever... I bought it for me to enjoy, not someone else.

Questor
05-30-2011, 06:17 PM
So if I understand this thread correctly:

Rude behavior in public: NOT COOL.

Rude behavior on message boards: TOTALLY COOL.

Did I interpret the thread correctly?? Yes? LOL.

lake hefner breeze
05-31-2011, 09:20 PM
Getting back to the original post... it's not clear from what you wrote exactly how loud this music was, but we do have a noise ordinance in OKC that supposedly prohibits the 'bump in the trunk' stuff we hear all the time. It isn't enforced.

I thought what I wrote was pretty clear:

the hip hop music he is playing is so extremely loud you could easily hear it across the street.

To further explain, it was so loud I would have had to shout at the top of my lungs to talk to him.

Brandon_sharp
05-31-2011, 11:33 PM
If it's too loud, you're too old!

Isn't that how the saying goes? lol Loud music doesn't bother me, but if it has more explicit lyrics than what is social acceptable, you're kind of a dick if you leave it blaring.

Thunder
05-31-2011, 11:35 PM
Brandon is my kinda guy. lol :-P

I have never crank up the volume like that during all my life. But now, only on long highway trip, I crank it all the way up just to feel it. And that is a requirement. Better than total silence the whole way.

Achilleslastand
06-01-2011, 12:26 AM
What passes for music these days just amazes me. And it always seems to be the worst music that is blared the loudest. When i can hear your cars music inside mine{even when windows are rolled up}that means its too loud......Its rude and to boot no one wants to hear that bongo nonsense.

Larry OKC
06-01-2011, 01:23 AM
Because of hearing damage that can easily occur from high volume listening, it is quite likely they have to have it blaring that loud just so they can hear it themselves. Not realizing how loud it is to those with normal hearing. But then again, some don't give a flying flip about common courtesy, it is all about "ME"

bandnerd
06-01-2011, 06:58 AM
Because of hearing damage that can easily occur from high volume listening, it is quite likely they have to have it blaring that loud just so they can hear it themselves. Not realizing how loud it is to those with normal hearing. But then again, some don't give a flying flip about common courtesy, it is all about "ME"

This is an affliction that doesn't just affect the young.

Midtowner
06-01-2011, 07:05 AM
I'd have used this as a good opportunity to teach some good old fashioned elitism.

SoonerDave
06-01-2011, 07:15 AM
The problem with responding at all to someone like that is the very real possibility said person has some sort of weapon at their disposal, and even the most polite expression that their music is too loud could get you a .38-caliber response.

The frustrating thing is that I think in 90% of these situations, the person playing the music is playing it loud purposely, daring anyone to tell them its too loud. In that vein, it could be Slim Whitman albums.

This happened in a neighborhood setting I know of within the last week. There is a pair of, to be polite, punks who will (in the absence of anything better to do, apparently) cruise a particular neighborhood streeet at all hours of the morning, blaring their music. A neighbor got fed up with it, apparently confronted the two, and a profanity-laced shouting match ensued, followed by a police investigation. On the one hand, the neighbor was sick to death of the noise, and opted to confront the guys. On the other, he took a huge risk that these guys didn't just turn and beat the *&^&$%#$ out of him. So far as I know, it didn't come to blows, but it wasn't my neighborhood, so I don't know how the "end-game" (if any) played out.

It is pretty ridiculous that A) you have to contemplate your own safety when asking someone as nicely as you know how to simply behave in a civilized manner, which means not imposing your music on everyone else, and B) that we have this increasing notion of uncivilized behavior migrating to an ever-younger age.

All this reminds me of an episode of the old TV series "Frasier," where Kelsey Grammer's character had grown frustrated with society's lack of manners. When someone steals his table at the coffee shop, he had his limit, picks the guy up and throws him out of the coffee shop, screaming "What you need is an etiquette lesson!" Sadly, its a case where art mimics life a bit too accurately.

All I can do is hope I taught my kids better.

jmarkross
06-01-2011, 09:01 AM
The frustrating thing is that I think in 90% of these situations, the person playing the music is playing it loud purposely, daring anyone to tell them its too loud. In that vein, it could be Slim Whitman albums.

Well said and spot on. ^^^

Discordant music is the center of most advertising today...and it surrounds young people everywhere they turn. Probably why they are starting to lose their minds at earlier ages than previously. It is not a good thing. It is the smarmy way to do everything.

bandnerd
06-01-2011, 09:37 AM

Well said and spot on. ^^^

Discordant music is the center of most advertising today...and it surrounds young people everywhere they turn. Probably why they are starting to lose their minds at earlier ages than previously. It is not a good thing. It is the smarmy way to do everything.

Source? Where on earth are you getting that from?

Achilleslastand
06-01-2011, 10:09 AM
The problem with responding at all to someone like that is the very real possibility said person has some sort of weapon at their disposal, and even the most polite expression that their music is too loud could get you a .38-caliber response.

This happened in a neighborhood setting I know of within the last week. There is a pair of, to be polite, punks who will (in the absence of anything better to do, apparently) cruise a particular neighborhood streeet at all hours of the morning, blaring their music. A neighbor got fed up with it, apparently confronted the two, and a profanity-laced shouting match ensued, followed by a police investigation. On the one hand, the neighbor was sick to death of the noise, and opted to confront the guys. On the other, he took a huge risk that these guys didn't just turn and beat the *&^&$%#$ out of him. So far as I know, it didn't come to blows, but it wasn't my neighborhood, so I don't know how the "end-game" (if any) played out.

It is pretty ridiculous that A) you have to contemplate your own safety when asking someone as nicely as you know how to simply behave in a civilized manner, which means not imposing your music on everyone else, and B) that we have this increasing notion of uncivilized behavior migrating to an ever-younger age.

All this reminds me of an episode of the old TV series "Frasier," where Kelsey Grammer's character had grown frustrated with society's lack of manners. When someone steals his table at the coffee shop, he had his limit, picks the guy up and throws him out of the coffee shop, screaming "What you need is an etiquette lesson!" Sadly, its a case where art mimics life a bit too accurately.

All I can do is hope I taught my kids better.

+1
And yes just the other day driving up May ave someone was blaring Slim Whitman.

MadMonk
06-01-2011, 10:42 AM
LOL, I just saw this happen this morning at 7-11 (what is it with 7-11 and these guys?). Some kid pumping gas with his pickup door open, blaring obnoxiously loud music and annoying everyone within earshot. A guy pumping gas into his Harley finished up and proceeded to rev his engine for a few seconds, drowning out the music until the guy got the point. Funny as hell. I was wondering if it was someone here?

tlltnkr47
06-01-2011, 01:19 PM
Well said Penny!

Lord Helmet
06-01-2011, 01:25 PM
I doubt I would have said anything even if I had my kids in the car as you just get all kinds of classy at gas stations...Probably would use it as an example of what not to do when they grow up

Yup. Any time someone acts like a jackass in front of my kids I simply use it as an example. I try to teach my kids to always be respectful of others. In this case it really doesn't have anything to do with the language, it's more that not everyone wants to hear your music regardless of language.

Personally loud cursing rap music is just as bad as blasting the latest Taylor Swift single (shudder)

Lord Helmet
06-01-2011, 01:28 PM
What passes for music these days just amazes me.

This is what I refer to as "Get Offa My Lawn Syndrome"

There's lots of great new music, it simply isn't played on the radio anymore ;-)

bandnerd
06-01-2011, 03:58 PM

There's lots of great new music, it simply isn't played on the radio anymore ;-)

I wish this forum had a "like" button. I would like the crap out of this response.

HewenttoJared
06-01-2011, 04:20 PM

I assume you're talking about dubstep. ; )

MikeOKC
06-01-2011, 04:35 PM

It really could get you killed. And all I did was look at him wrong! This is from my post (in another thread) of March 31st:

My own story from a couple of weeks ago: I was at the light at 23rd street southbound at Penn Avenue...when I looked over at a car that was shaking the neighborhood with hip-hop, rap, whatever that crap it is, and I gave the guy a look like, "really?" I mean it was as loud as a concert right there on the street. Anyway, I guess my look said everything as the black thug showed me his gold tooth and a raised a pistol. Not at me - just threatening. I pulled away and I never got his tag. I stopped a cop around 10th street and told him what happened and he said he'd keep an eye out for the car. But he was honest, he said, "This kind of thing goes on all the time. Routine." I said, "You think it's the hard economic times?" He laughed and said, "It's about culture. Period." The cop - was black. He's not dumb, he knows. No, not all crime is black, but most violent crime is committed by black males, that's just the way it is. I didn't say all - I said most - and they account for 6.5% of the population.

Sick of it. And the police officer was right - it's about the culture.

Original post from 3-31-11 (http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=25306&p=417613#post417613)

Brandon_sharp
06-02-2011, 11:35 PM
I assume you're talking about dubstep. ; )

ftmfw!

rag451
06-04-2011, 07:12 PM
If it were me, I would have turned it over to any good country station or oldies station and turned my sound EVEN HIGHER! Then, I'd bop my head and sing as loud as I could!