View Full Version : Wanting to get a laptop

Midtowner
03-23-2005, 04:06 PM
I'm going to need to buy a laptop sometime within the next several months. Currently, I'm strongly considering Dell and Toshiba, but will consider others. Of the Dells, I like the 600m and 700m. I particularly like the 600m because it's the only laptop that I can find that has an internal bluetooth card (all of my portable electronic devices have bluetooth).

I'm going to be using it in law school, so it needs to be able to keep up with current software for the next 4 years. It also needs to be portable, and can't be a behemoth, because it needs to be able to fit on my desk in class, not to mention the fact that I will have to lug it around the law school campus (which really is only two buildings)..

Any suggestions?

windowphobe
03-23-2005, 07:53 PM
My four-year old Toshiba Satellite has been unfailingly reliable, though it's now a couple of generations behind the times. (It does Wi-Fi with a PC Card, and it has a CD burner/DVD player, but otherwise it's old hat.)

I must point out that two staffers where I work had basically this same machine and trashed it in mere weeks, but I suspect you have a more pronounced tendency to take care of your stuff.

Midtowner
03-23-2005, 08:40 PM
Have to take care of it if I want it to take care of me for 4 years :D

Luke
03-23-2005, 10:02 PM
http://www.apple.com/powerbook

:)

Midtowner
03-23-2005, 10:38 PM
Luke, it must run Office 2003.

Also, my girlfriend has a very nice Powerbook that she uses to teach her Humanities class. I'm very good with the Windows interface, not so much with the OS X interface. Compatibility with my classmates will also be a huge issue.

So I think Powerbook is out.

Luke
03-24-2005, 05:31 AM
I have Office for my Mac. It runs Office: Word, PowerPoint, Messenger, Entourage, and Excel. And it is completely cross-platform with PCs. The great thing about Apples is you don't have to worry about virii and spyware is nonexistent. Plus, blocking pop-ups actually works on an Apple.

http://www.microsoft.com/mac Click on "Office".

mranderson
03-24-2005, 07:02 AM
Here is a Dell story.

We are not allowed to use the term "laptop." The reason is simple. Lawsuit city.

A person sued one of the computer manufacturers (I have not been told who) because his portable computer that he placed on his or her lap burned him or her. They won the suit, and from that day forward, the term "notebook" was coined. "Laptop" is becoming obsolete.

Just an FYI.

Midtowner
03-24-2005, 07:36 AM
I have Office for my Mac. It runs Office: Word, PowerPoint, Messenger, Entourage, and Excel. And it is completely cross-platform with PCs. The great thing about Apples is you don't have to worry about virii and spyware is nonexistent. Plus, blocking pop-ups actually works on an Apple.

http://www.microsoft.com/mac Click on "Office".

I use firefox with the adblock extension. I don't even see banners :D

And I don't get virii because I don't open suspicious files (I also scan regularly).

Midtowner
03-24-2005, 07:36 AM
Here is a Dell story.

We are not allowed to use the term "laptop." The reason is simple. Lawsuit city.

A person sued one of the computer manufacturers (I have not been told who) because his portable computer that he placed on his or her lap burned him or her. They won the suit, and from that day forward, the term "notebook" was coined. "Laptop" is becoming obsolete.

Just an FYI.

So what are your impressions of the 600m and 700m? A lot of problems? I've heard that the finish that they put on them -- some kind of silver gets dirty fast, and scratches easily.

mranderson
03-24-2005, 07:38 AM
So what are your impressions of the 600m and 700m? A lot of problems? I've heard that the finish that they put on them -- some kind of silver gets dirty fast, and scratches easily.

They are not bad units. I usually do not get enough feedback to really rate them, but except for the fact that, if I remember correctly, those two can not have a floppy disc added, I would consider them myself. I have to have a floppy disc drive.

Midtowner
03-24-2005, 07:41 AM
They are not bad units. I usually do not get enough feedback to really rate them, but except for the fact that, if I remember correctly, those two can not have a floppy disc added, I would consider them myself. I have to have a floppy disc drive.

I would never use a floppy drive anyhow. My desktop PC (which I built myself) has a floppy that I installed. Apparently, I did something wrong hooking it up, because it powers up, but doesn't work at all. That's never hurt me though. I just use USB memory keys.

hailmary57yd
03-29-2005, 12:16 AM
.I heard that IBM is still the best. I've used SONY Vaio for 4 years but I don't recommend it. I've sent it to repair center around 5-6 times. It was broken within one year period from its purchasing. I think that IBM has more durability. I also want to try Apple laptops.

striker
05-27-2005, 09:34 AM
This is probably really late, but I've really liked the fujitsu machine I've had for about 4 years. Great laptops.

kielaaron
05-29-2005, 02:53 AM
I just got my third Dell, an Inspiron 6000, decked to the nines for my new job in san francisco.

got office 03 professional as a student at OU for $80

hailmary57yd
06-16-2005, 01:33 AM
Yea? My Windows 98 Sony Vaio had broken. Its hard disk and keyboard don't work. Keyboard is broken by my mistake. I spilt soda on the laptop while I was typing my essay for my school. However, I don't think that I broke the hard disk.

In the contrast, my sis' Windows 95 IBM is still on good shape. No dirt, no problem with operating and has a good condition. I know that my sis is more neat and tidy person but she bought her laptop at least 3 years earlier than I did.

I am thinking whether I fix my Sony Vaio or go with Palm Book PC. I have a kind of new desktop.

Unfortunately, one Chinese company bought the company, IBM but IBM Laptop’s qualities and prices will not change for a while. It is a world trade era, what is a big deal?

pdjr
08-02-2005, 02:36 PM
I highly recommend that you get an Intel Centrino CPU, regardless of your preferred vendor. I've had good luck with Apples, IBM's (although I'm not sure of the Lenovo takeover), Dells, and Fujitsus.

Okcbornandbred
08-03-2005, 03:42 PM
Here are the difference between the 600 and 700m:

The main difference between these systems is the size. The 700m is a 12.1 inch wide screen display and has a smaller keyboard. The 600m has a 14.1 inch display and a keyboard similiar to standard size. It is just a matter of preference. If you are a man with big finger you would probably choose the 600m. The 700m is usually more directed towards women.

Also it was previously stated that you could not get a floppy drive. That is false. Both can be customized with a floppy. If you do choose Dell I would suggest you build the system you like online, with the online promotions and also call in and compare what deals you can get over the phone. You can also get discounts through the employee purchase program as well. There are many ways Dell provides to get a great system at a reasonable price. Any other questions don't hesitate to ask :-)