View Full Version : Pet Peeves of OKCTalk Members

Pages : [1] 2

okcpulse
03-23-2005, 02:54 PM
As we get to know each other on this forum, I thought it would be interesting to share some of our pet peeves on this thread. What are the small things you sweat over? What irks you but doesn't make you angry, yet you never forget about it. Well, here are some of my pet peeves... here go's-

okcpulse's pet peeves-

-People holding conversations on an elevator... in person or on a cell phone
-People talking on a cell phone in a library
-People who asked the same question ten times in ten different versions
-Customers at work who give me their life's story on why they want their ham shaved. No offense, but you have a line behind you.
-Drivers who do 40 MPH one second, 60 MPH the next and then back down to 40 MPH
-Spyware, Spam and Pop-up Ads. Who are the people that write these programs and where do they live?
-People who complain about paying taxes, and are on Access Oklahoma
-People who are trained to answer a question they don't have an answer for
-Church leaders who are selective over who can attend their church
-McDonald's. 'Nuff said.

Midtowner
03-23-2005, 03:54 PM
People who drive lost downtown (very slow, brake for no apparent reason)
People who don't signal
People that drive way over the speed limit (10+MPH over)

-- what kind of cell phones work in elevators?!

Keith
03-23-2005, 05:22 PM
As we get to know each other on this forum, I thought it would be interesting to share some of our pet peeves on this thread. What are the small things you sweat over? What irks you but doesn't make you angry, yet you never forget about it. Well, here are some of my pet peeves... here go's-

okcpulse's pet peeves-

-People holding conversations on an elevator... in person or on a cell phone
-People talking on a cell phone in a library
-People who asked the same question ten times in ten different versions
-Customers at work who give me their life's story on why they want their ham shaved. No offense, but you have a line behind you.
-Drivers who do 40 MPH one second, 60 MPH the next and then back down to 40 MPH
-Spyware, Spam and Pop-up Ads. Who are the people that write these programs and where do they live?
-People who complain about paying taxes, and are on Access Oklahoma
-People who are trained to answer a question they don't have an answer for
-Church leaders who are selective over who can attend their church
-McDonald's. 'Nuff said.
-People who think they are smarter than you are, yet, when they talk, you know they are not.
-Drivers that go 30 mph in the left lane, while the car next to them drives 30 in the right lane, and the speed limit is 40 mph...you can't get around either one.
-Drivers who don't use signal lights when turning or changing lanes.
-Drivers who can't see over their steering wheel, yet they are still driving.
-Drivers who think they are big shots, while talking on their cell phones, while driving. Do like I do...pull off the road into a parking lot and finish your conversation.
-Women who attempt to put on their make-up while driving.
-Shoppers with more than 20 items going through the express checkout.
-Cashiers who let them do it.
-Children running lose and/or screeming in a place of business.
-People who talk about other people behind their backs.
-Liars
-People who condemn my beliefs because they disagree with them.
-People, in general, that think they have to talk on their cell phones while walking in to a store, shopping, checking out, and walking back to their cars. There is nothing that important that can't wait.
-People that use their cell phones while sitting on the toilet in a stall.
-People that allow their cell phones to ring during a church service.

That's all for right now, but my list will be growing.

mranderson
03-23-2005, 08:15 PM
OK. Fasten your seat belt. It will be a bumpy ride.

Rude people. That includes people who hog the lane waiting for that parking space 10 feet closer, and the people who do not show courtesy.

Being interupted. Let me finish. Then you can speak. You might think it will make things go faster, but it is just plain rude.

Pushy people. You are no better than me.

Dishonesty. If you do not like something about me or whatever, tell me. I am a big boy. I can take it. It is your cover story that iritates me.

Most liberals. There are exceptions. However, most liberals destroy the country.

Over selling your religious beliefs. I respect your religious views. Just do not expect me to feel as you do. I am comfortable with mine, thank you.

Brian Bates and Forrest Claunch. No commentary needed.

Being called a bigot or saying I am affraid of something. You do not know me, so you are not qualified to judge me.

Companies that care less about staff. I am a human. You may sign the check, but I am the one that earns you your profit. I deserve respect.

Hicks. Most are stupid and backward. And proud of it.

People who are prejudist against California. The term "Land of fruits and nuts" is offensive. I would bet you have never been there.

Rude drivers. I own as much of the road as you. So, learn to drive and plan ahead.

Spam. I even hate that term. It is a registered trademark and should not be used to describe unsolicited email.

People that will not tell you the "why." I need to know. Did you ever stop and think by telling me why, it may help? A problem can not be addressed unless you know it is there.

Job interviews. It is worse than being interogated by a cop. Plus it is humiliating. If you do not want to hire me, tell me the truthful reason why... IN THE INTERVIEW!

People that start rumors. They are trouble makers.

Back stabbers. Same as above. They will do anything to steal your job because they think they are better than you.

Bad grammar. That includes misusing words like good and done. Your lack of education shows.

I am sure there is a lot more. I just am unable to think of them.

Karried
03-23-2005, 08:43 PM
Rude People who take out frustrations on others that can't fight back (store clerks, waiters, kids, pets etc)

People talking on a cell phone in a Movie Theatre during the movie!

Cigarette Smoke (sorry all, I just can't take the smell)

People who can't merge onto a freeway (sheesh, how can you even think of merging at 20 mph when everyone else is going 65 ?? )

Uninsured Tailgaters (I drive a Suburban, wear a seatbelt and have an airbag, if I slam on my brakes, guess who's going through their Pinto windshield? Not me - but who needs the hassle?)

People who don't stop for school buses

Bigots and racists - racial slurs and derogatory comments about people who aren't identical to you(shows how uneducated and narrowminded some people are )

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
03-23-2005, 09:00 PM
Morons who don't get the fact that they are indeed morons in general.

Curt
03-24-2005, 07:04 PM
My pet peeves are:

When I get home from work and people come over un-invited to hang out. I need my down time after work alone.
Guys who complain about being married, I wish I had a wife.
People that cant use their turn signals
Rude people
People who tell me how to live my life, when they complain about theirs, leave me the hell alone man.
About a million other things that I cant really think of right now.

sweetdaisy
03-25-2005, 02:19 PM
I think you have all nailed most of them. But the biggest ones of all:

Cell phones. All across the board, they drive me nuts simply b/c people do not realize just how rude they are when they whip them out at dinner, in the car, at the movie, in the doctor's office, etc. I have one that is used to make long distance calls, and that's about it.

RUDE PEOPLE: I cannot stand rudeness. I'm a gentle, caring person, but nothing flares my temper quicker than someone being rude to me. GRRRRRR!!!! This includes people who interrupt me while I am speaking.

Judgemental people: This includes people who make observations and put downs about others they don't even know. I want nothing to do with someone who makes fun of someone else's hair, clothes, etc.

People who haul their MASSIVE suitcases onto the airplane and stick them in the overhead bins way up front when they are seated way in back. That leaves people in the front without room for their bags, and they end up having to stick their stuff in the back of the plane...well, you can figure this one out. But this drives me CRAZY!!!

Married men hitting on me. Now, this just ain't cool. Just because I smile and say hi, doesn't mean I want to sleep with you.

Crummy customer service. There is no excuse for this at all whatsoever. I do believe some of this is covered in the "best and worst" section of OKCTalk.

Finally, sitting in a Doctor's office for more than 30 minutes past my appointment time. Surprisingly, my time is valuable, and I would appreciate it if the good Doctor would recognize it.

That should cover several of them for now.

mranderson
03-25-2005, 02:25 PM
Here is another.

Echophilacs. That is a person who echos back what you tell them. (example. A phone number. You: 123 them: 123 you: 4567 them: 4567)

It is also known as Swiss Alp disease.

Five didget phone numbers. (example: 123-45-67.) They have seven didgets not five.

Not being prepared. Especially when you call a call center. Call centers have strict time guidelines. You are not helping matters when you do not have the information ready before you call. All you are doing is making the call longer.

Not letting a person take control when it is their job. Example. Again, call center. Let the call center worker ask the questions. they are trained to expidite the call. Also, do not presume they have less education than you do.

(I fight these every day, on countless calls)

sweetdaisy
03-25-2005, 02:26 PM
Here is another.

Echophilacs. That is a person who echos back what you tell them. (example. A phone number. You: 123 them: 123 you: 4567 them: 4567)

:LolLolLol Love it!!!!!

Midtowner
03-25-2005, 03:10 PM
Here is another.

Five didget phone numbers. (example: 123-45-67.) They have seven didgets not five.

Not being prepared. Especially when you call a call center. Call centers have strict time guidelines. You are not helping matters when you do not have the information ready before you call. All you are doing is making the call longer.

Not letting a person take control when it is their job. Example. Again, call center. Let the call center worker ask the questions. they are trained to expidite the call. Also, do not presume they have less education than you do.

(I fight these every day, on countless calls)

These days, with call centers, it's usually a safe assumption that you're talking to someone with 4 doctorates and a Master's in English Lit :D

(but you still can't understand a damned thing they say)

Karried
03-25-2005, 05:30 PM
Another safe assumption is that you are talking to someone in India, at least that's who I always get...

Sooner&RiceGrad
03-28-2005, 05:46 PM
1. People on other forums that are always bitching about what an awful place anywhere in Oklahoma is. When asked if they have been they say yes. When asked if they can describe where they have been, they have NO answer at all. When aasked to read my thread about Oklahoma instead of cruising through the forums to flame me, they refure. Pet Peeve #1 right there.
2. I love children. But please leave me alone after I get home from work.
3. OSU fans with rabies.
4. Some new guy at work who thinks he is going to teach me something. You can't teach an old dog new tricks buddy.
5. Sloooooow drivers. People that bitch about fast! drivers.
6. Drunks. Enough said.
7. The Sonic Commercials.
8. Double parkers, and people that drive veeeery slowly, as if lost in Downtown OKC.
9. People that cannot distinguish the differance between a red light, and a YELLOW light.
10. Used car commericals. Very aggrevating.
11. Dust. I hate it.

mranderson
03-29-2005, 09:04 AM
People that show their lack of intellegance by insisting on spelling something before they are asked.

Example: What is your name? Answer: D.A.V.I.D.

I am smart enough to know how to spell. If it is something I have trouble with, I will ask.

rxis
03-30-2005, 01:04 AM
The SBC rep that spends more time trying to sell me DSL service than resolving the issue at hand, and then tells me she will just add the service on for two months free and send a tech out to install a dish after I tell her I'm not interested.
The reason I called in the first place was because SBC added services without my consent.
It's prob a company thing rather than the rep herself. I told her I'd have to work out some technical things before using DSL but she didn't want to listen. Now I'm not going anywhere near SBC DSL.

Companies that add on additional charges w/o first asking the customer or by being
"sneaky" little theives.

Those checks you get in the mail that tells you to deposit it into your bank account and then have some small texted sentence that says you will activate service and accrue monthly service fees. The scams that don't even provide any of the useless services are even worse.

Midtowner
03-30-2005, 08:23 AM
You do have to sign the back of the check to deposit it, right?

Try reading things before you sign them -- that's something I've always found helpful :D

Sooner&RiceGrad
03-30-2005, 03:25 PM
I also used to hate those Dell commericials with the Dell Dude, before his crack addiction was outed. :sofa:

mranderson
03-30-2005, 03:27 PM
I also used to hate those Dell commericials withthe Dell Dude, before his crack addiction was outed.

Never worry now. Michael Dell PERSONALLY fired him for being busted with nine pounds of pot.

Sooner&RiceGrad
03-30-2005, 03:27 PM
Of course I always knew it. LOL

Midtowner
03-30-2005, 03:37 PM
I don't like it when people can't admit that they are wrong.

Sooner&RiceGrad
03-30-2005, 04:16 PM
Let me guess.. you are always right?

BricktownGuy
03-30-2005, 05:28 PM
my Pet Peeves.. hmm... lets see..

people that drive with their pet laughing hyena in their lap.....

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
03-30-2005, 06:01 PM

Without cups....

Keith
03-30-2005, 07:51 PM

I agree. I wonder how many accidents are caused because a motorist thinks they just have to have little Fifi sitting in their lap, or hanging out the drivers side window while they are driving?

Jay
03-30-2005, 11:00 PM
Mine would have to be un-clean people. We are a modern society it doesn’t kill you to bathe or clean up after yourself.

Sooner&RiceGrad
03-30-2005, 11:18 PM
I sat behind someone like that at the Buffalo Wild Wings tonight... the sports bar concept must be frenzy for the biker types of OKC.

Midtowner
03-31-2005, 10:20 AM
Mine would have to be un-clean people. We are a modern society it doesn’t kill you to bathe or clean up after yourself.

If you think that, you should visit Portland, OR sometime :D

mranderson
03-31-2005, 04:34 PM
People that who will not answer a yes or no question with yes or no. They insist on giving you their life history. The question requires yes or no, and nothing else.

Keith
03-31-2005, 05:03 PM
Those who can dish it out, but they can't take it.

Sooner&RiceGrad
04-01-2005, 03:15 PM
Reminds me of that one show... oh what was it called? Oh yeah. Saturday Night Live.

Midtowner
04-01-2005, 04:52 PM
People who claim to be conservative, but have no clue what conservative means.

People who call other people liberal, but have no idea what liberal means.

Or maybe I should just say people that suffer from acute cranial rectosis.

1adam12
04-02-2005, 05:53 AM
Sorry, but most of these are job related. I have no other life, it seems.:LolLolLol

1. Motorists that do not pull over when I turn on my overheads. I don't like pursuits because there are too many innocent people that can get hurt, however, it I have to chase someone down, I will.
2. Citizens who say they will testify against a felony suspect, and then they change their mind, causing us to have to release the scum bag back in public.
3. Motorists who make excuses for speeding. There are some exceptions, however, many of the excuses I hear are just plain lives. Remember, after 15 years of this, I have heard everything.
4. Motorists who run red lights purposely. I see this everyday that I am on patrol, and many times I am in a postion where I can't go after the violator. People, when the light turns red it means to stop. I have seen two-three cars flat run a red light because they were impatient. A few of these I have pulled over, and I show no mercy.
5. Motorists that speed through school zones. I have a no tolerance policy on this. If you are speeding, there will be no warning, because the orange lights that are flashing ARE your warning. Once you have sped past those lights, you WILL receive a ticket from me. The majority of officers will do the same thing. None of us have any tolerance towards those that speed through school zones.
6. By the way, if I pull you over, let me ask the questions. All you have to do is listen and answer.
7. If I tell you to keep your hands where I can see them, I mean it. Nothing is worth getting shot over.
8. If I pull you over and ask questions, please be truthful. I hate liars, and chances are, I will find out the truth, which will get you in more trouble if you lie.
9. If I pull you over, remember, I don't care who you are, who you know, or what degrees you have in college. Intimidation doesn't work with me. I don't care if you are a doctor, lawyer, firefighter, CEO, pharmacist, cashier at Wal-Mart, or a 7-11 clerk. I also don't care if you know the mayor, the governor, the city manager, or any other city official. You broke the law, so now you will face the consequences.

Have a good day and drive safely.

Midtowner
04-02-2005, 07:57 AM
I hate cops that speed and willfully break traffic laws as if to say "Who is going to pull me over?"

Sooner&RiceGrad
04-02-2005, 09:36 AM
On America's Most Wanted on Friday nights, they show those cops gone bad all the time...

Which brings me to exhibit B. I hate shows like America's this, or America's that. The animal one is just plain cheesy. The most wanted one is just boring, and the funniest home videos one is getting old.

Keith
04-02-2005, 03:30 PM
I hate cops that speed and willfully break traffic laws as if to say "Who is going to pull me over?"
Did you ever consider that they may be going on a call? Of course not. Many of the officers that I have ridden with tell me that many times they do speed to get to a call. They don't use their lights or siren, because there are too many stupid people out there that freak out when they see a light or hear a siren.

If it is an armed robbery, or a burglary in progress, they usually do speed to get to those calls. I'm sure there are a "few" who do it because they can get by with it.

Another pet peeve? People that assume things before they find out what the real truth is.

Sooner&RiceGrad
04-02-2005, 03:53 PM
This is a very negative thread.

Midtowner
04-02-2005, 03:54 PM
Did you ever consider that they may be going on a call? Of course not. Many of the officers that I have ridden with tell me that many times they do speed to get to a call. They don't use their lights or siren, because there are too many stupid people out there that freak out when they see a light or hear a siren.

If it is an armed robbery, or a burglary in progress, they usually do speed to get to those calls. I'm sure there are a "few" who do it because they can get by with it.

Another pet peeve? People that assume things before they find out what the real truth is.

If you need to go 85 on the interstate, it's only safe to turn on your overhead lights.

Another pet peeve of mine -- people that defend unsafe and illegal behaviors.

nurfe75
04-02-2005, 04:56 PM
Being an insurance adjuster, I can definitely sympathize with Adam and the stupid excuses people make for speeding, running red lights, or changing lanes without signalling. Every day I find myself having to explain WHY I'm rating someone negligent in an accident when they have clearly done something negligent. That leads me to my pet peeve: people who can't accept responsibility for their actions. No matter how obvious the act of negligence, people will argue with me that an accident wasn't their fault. So here's my suggestion:
if you back into someone, hit a parked car, rear-end somebody, or hit someone when you have a stop sign or a red light, ADMIT IT IS YOUR FAULT and get on with it. The person who didn't do anything wrong has the right to get their car fixed, and your insurance SHOULD pay for it. Avoiding the insurance company, or arguing endlessly with them when you do talk to them, simply makes it more difficult to get the claim worked and the other person's car fixed. If the situation were reversed, wouldn't you want your own car fixed quickly?

Sorry for the rant, but I deal with people like this all the time. If I had a nickel for every accident I worked where someone was clearly at fault but avoided their adjuster, I'd be a millionaire.

Sooner&RiceGrad
04-02-2005, 05:27 PM
Got their address? Or is that trespassing? :LolLolLol

Keith
04-02-2005, 08:41 PM
If you need to go 85 on the interstate, it's only safe to turn on your overhead lights.

Another pet peeve of mine -- people that defend unsafe and illegal behaviors.
Wrong again. People very seldom look in their rear view mirrors (at least I never see them look), so they wouldn't see the lights anyway. Plus, if they saw lights behind them, they would freak out (I think I said this before) and change lanes without looking, to get out of the way, and then cause an accident.

Yeah, my pet peeve is those that defend unsafe and illegal behaviors, also. Gosh, I'm glad I'm not one of those.

1adam12
04-02-2005, 08:54 PM
This is a very negative thread.
Yeah, it wasn't negative until MidTowner decided he had to put in his pennies worth. I could explan myself to him, although, Keith has done a good job of explaining why we don't use our lights and sirens all the time.

I guess MidTowner thinks that just because cops go everywhere with their lights and sirens on, that all of us should. Well, that's TV, and this is the real thing. He ought to go along on a ride along with a cop and see how it is actually done. He's assuming to much (hey, that was my pet peeve). When you assume, you lose.

Anyway, I doubt that will happen, because he is trying to be a lawyer, and lawyers hate cops. I have made known my pet peeve, so I'm through with this thread. BTW, no, I don't have facts to back all of this up, just experience.

Sooner&RiceGrad
04-02-2005, 09:29 PM
Lawyers hate cops, eh?

You just broke your pet peeve. But hey, I think I did that in my first post in this thread so oh well. LOL

mranderson
04-02-2005, 09:31 PM
"BTW, no, I don't have facts to back all of this up, just experience."

Although unacceptable to some people, Sometimes experience is enough. As is knowledge. Therefore, one does not always have to backup a statement with evidence. Again, unacceptable to some people.

Sooner&RiceGrad
04-02-2005, 11:06 PM
I am one of those people.

Midtowner
04-02-2005, 11:16 PM
Yeah, it wasn't negative until MidTowner decided he had to put in his pennies worth. I could explan myself to him, although, Keith has done a good job of explaining why we don't use our lights and sirens all the time.

I guess MidTowner thinks that just because cops go everywhere with their lights and sirens on, that all of us should. Well, that's TV, and this is the real thing. He ought to go along on a ride along with a cop and see how it is actually done. He's assuming to much (hey, that was my pet peeve). When you assume, you lose.

Anyway, I doubt that will happen, because he is trying to be a lawyer, and lawyers hate cops. I have made known my pet peeve, so I'm through with this thread. BTW, no, I don't have facts to back all of this up, just experience.

I'm not a lawyer, (working on that), but I've seen several dirty cops fired because our firm brought to light some unsavory umm.. interrogation techniques for example? Slamming kids on the hoods of their cars so hard it put dents in it?

Or how about sending a dog after a fleeings suspect that had not committed a felony? Then making one up to cover your butt? How's that?

I've seen and heard of cops doing things that make you lose faith in the criminal justice system. However, I realize that those scum (worse than criminals) are indeed the minority. Most are good folks, but, for example, speeding without your lights is a hell of an example to set. Why can't I go 85+ when I'm in a hurry?

Dirty cops are a huge pet peeve of mine.

But adam, I'm sure you're one of the good ones, and I've said here before, some of my very good friends are, or soon will be police officers -- damned good ones.

Sooner&RiceGrad
04-02-2005, 11:24 PM
Be prepared to tell him who they are if he asks...

Ack. What am I getting caught up in this? I think it would be funny if I mediated this...

Jay
04-02-2005, 11:46 PM
We all really need to stop turning these forums in to a yellow water (for lack of a better term) contest. I think some of us are out to be Heavyweight Champion of OKC-TALK. Which could be preventing some of are lurkers from posting.

Thats just my opinion I could be wrong or maybe I'm right.......

Sooner&RiceGrad
04-03-2005, 10:14 AM
If they are THAT shy we dun wan 'em.

Midtowner
04-03-2005, 10:23 AM
Be prepared to tell him who they are if he asks...

Ack. What am I getting caught up in this? I think it would be funny if I mediated this...

The guys slamming the kid on the hood of his car were in Yukon. Actually, we didn't end up sueing the department, but we did contact the FBI. They found that these guys were excessively and unnecessarily brutal. They were relieved of their jobs (should have gone to jail in my opinion, no telling how many times they did that).

In the case of the dog attack, the case is very recent, and in progress. I can't really can't give any specifics except to say that certain officers are worse than dangerous criminals because they have a badge, a gun, and a bunch of buddies to back up lies they tell.

-- adam should agree that there's nothing worse than a cop who thinks it's okay for him to break the law or brutalize peole that he or she arrests.

As for my friends in the PD's, one's an Owasso Police Officer, the other is hoping to be a part of OKC's Academy this year.

Midtowner
04-03-2005, 10:28 AM
We all really need to stop turning these forums in to a yellow water (for lack of a better term) contest. I think some of us are out to be Heavyweight Champion of OKC-TALK. Which could be preventing some of are lurkers from posting.

Thanks for your assessment.

To lurkers: As long as you refrain from defending indefensible positions and supporting bigotry and hatred, we'll get along just fine.

Also, I like people who argue with facts, not hyperbole.

Stick to defensible positions and avoid hypocrisy, and we'll get along quite nicely!

Keith
04-03-2005, 11:46 AM

I agree.

Ok, this will be somewhat off the current subject, however, it needs to be said to keep some posters from scaring away other posters.

"To lurkers: As long as you refrain from defending indefensible positions and supporting bigotry and hatred, we'll get along just fine."

Very wrong! If a poster wants to defend certain positions, they can. Everybody has the right to post their opinion, whether it agrees with you or not.

Also, I like people who argue with facts, not hyperbole.
Stick to defensible positions and avoid hypocrisy, and we'll get along quite nicely!

Many posters do not have the time to sit in front of a computer and do research for every post they make. I have a full time job, a family, and many other activities that I am involved in. I don't have time to do research on everything, so I don't post a lot of "facts." This forum is not just for facts, it is for opinions and ideas. Many don't have facts, however, they have experiences. If you want a forum that uses facts only, for the basis of your posts, then you are on the wrong forum.

No matter what another poster says, we want everybody to feel free to post their opinions, whether you have facts or not. If you feel intimidated by any poster on this forum, please PM myself, Todd , or Patrick.

"If they are THAT shy we dun wan 'em."

I'm sure this was just a joke, because we want everyone to post, and feel comfortable doing it.

Midtowner
04-03-2005, 12:33 PM
Do you know how little time it takes to type a subject into google and find the facts related to anything?

I'd say less time than it takes you to type the above message.

It's hard to disagree without being disagreeable. If I make people feel uneasy about their values, or question their beliefs, I feel I'm contributing. It's a very natural thing for people to react negatively.

I have no problem with people feeling comfortable posting whatever they want. I don't think it's fair, however, to say that anyone can post anything and not have their views/values called into question. If that is so, I'll be happy to start a post on why I think people that describe themselves as pro-family values/social conservatives are a bunch of hypocritical individuals incapable of logical reasoning -- and I will expect that no one can post anything contrary to what I say, they might intimidate me or make me feel uncomfortable.

I defend my positions because I think they are right. I'll afford everyone else the same luxury as long as they do so using facts, not hyperbole. Without a conversation based on facts, the entire point is really moot, so why have any kind of discussion in the first place?

nurfe75
04-03-2005, 01:11 PM
Don't you realize the theme by now, Midtowner? Most everyone who posts on these threads (no reason to mention any names) has the right to be as negative as they want and attack whomever they choose. But when nurfe or midtowner (or anyone with a slightly different view than 99% of the posters) says ANYTHING to question anyone else, we are being "negative" and "off topic." I just wish the rules on here applied to everyone equally. And they don't.

mranderson
04-03-2005, 01:21 PM
I will address two posts, and will not name names.

One. I, for one, and many of the others, will ask a thread to be placed back on topic, because it HAS gone off topic. For example. We could be discussing a political race, then all of a sudden, one one is attacked or a differing opinion is expressed with the implication of personal attack, by pulling out the race card or another card, thus turning that thread in another direction. That IS off topic, and should be placed back on topic. There are other areas to discuss those topics that usually cause a thread to go off topic. And most, by the way, are over discussed anyway, and I and several on this forum are sick of hearing about them, but a select few insist on not letting them rest.

Now. About those who will not accept others points of view or will not accept the fact that, as Keith said, we can not always research "facts." We do not have time, or we have the expertese to not need to do that. It seems some people do not know the legal term "expert witness." I fully agree with Keith's post, and invite anyone who chooses not to adhere to it to find another forum... Or form their own.

To get back on topic. Another pet peeve of mine is someone who refuses to accept some people are experts in fields and do NOT have to "research" facts. And another is someone who refuses to let a topic rest or die.

nurfe75
04-03-2005, 01:27 PM
This is a common argument I see on a lot of posting boards. I can understand being displeased when something goes off topic, but the rule needs to apply to everyone.

When dealing with a thread you simply don't like or are tired of debating, however, why not try just going to a different thread? Obviously SOME are still wanting to argue whatever the topic is. And just because YOU'RE tired of a particular subject doesn't mean you should be able to shut a thread down when plenty of people are still posting on it.

That brings me to another pet peeve. People who want to censor or stop something just because they may disagree with it. Like protesting a television show with off-color content when you have the right to just change the channel and not watch. Same principal applies to posting boards...

Keith
04-03-2005, 01:56 PM
All I can say, gentlemen, is that if you don't like the way this forum is operated, then you can leave.

"I just wish the rules on here applied to everyone equally. And they don't."

The rules apply equally to everyone here. It's amazing that the few posters that have been complaining about this forum and the rules, are the same ones that we keep on having to edit or delete posts. Nobody told you that you had to participate in this forum. No, it isn't because we disagree with what you say, it is the way that you answer other posts...very negatively, or you feel that you are above everybody on this forum. Then, you either call others' names, you question the rules on this forum, or you feel that you have to post the "facts," and then rip others apart because they don't have facts. Nurfe75 and MidTowner seem to be the only two that fit this category.

If more people didn't feel like the world owed them a living, this would be a happier place.

Sooner&RiceGrad
04-03-2005, 02:52 PM
Who said that?

I would be the first person to say that the rules here are universal. Me and Midtowner would.

mrote
04-03-2005, 03:52 PM
Back on topic! My main pet peeves are...

People who drive without insurance and run into my car which happened just last week.

People who drive junky cars with smoke pouring out the back or tires with the tread completely worn off.

Drivers who wait for someone to back out of a parking place so their fat ass doesn't have to walk an extra 60 feet.

Parents who allow their kids to yell and scream while in public.

Drivers who talk on their cell phones while in traffic as they can never seem to maintain a constant speed and are always crossing into other lanes.

Panhandlers at intersections and this applies to the fire departments and any other group that feels it is OK to ask for money at street corners or in the street itself.

Sooner&RiceGrad
04-03-2005, 06:10 PM
I support it whenever the local cheerleaders or band do the Sonic or have car washes on the street corner. I guess we are differant. :poke:

Midtowner
04-03-2005, 09:30 PM
All I can say, gentlemen, is that if you don't like the way this forum is operated, then you can leave.

"I just wish the rules on here applied to everyone equally. And they don't."

The rules apply equally to everyone here. It's amazing that the few posters that have been complaining about this forum and the rules, are the same ones that we keep on having to edit or delete posts. Nobody told you that you had to participate in this forum. No, it isn't because we disagree with what you say, it is the way that you answer other posts...very negatively, or you feel that you are above everybody on this forum. Then, you either call others' names, you question the rules on this forum, or you feel that you have to post the "facts," and then rip others apart because they don't have facts. Nurfe75 and MidTowner seem to be the only two that fit this category.

If more people didn't feel like the world owed them a living, this would be a happier place.

Examples please. In case you're wondering how to do that, there's a "search" function here that is actually pretty handy for digging up old posts. I'll admit to some "name calling" very early on (although, it was warranted at the time ;) ). However, within the last several months, I doubt you'll find a single instance of it.

Again, what good is any conversation when two people are discussing "facts" that are totally made up? For example, the disparity in teacher pay, according to a certain user here between Oklahoma and Texas is approximately 50%. I guess we could argue whether the sky is green or purple... but at some point, don't you think it would help the argument if someone actually looked up?

In reality, one is about 34K, one is about 38K. It took me about 1 minute to figure that out by typing "average teacher pay Oklahoma" and "average teacher pay Texas" into Google -- if that takes expertise.. well, it doesn't.

Actually, I am very careful to debate ideas only, and when someone attacks my ideas or actions, I feel that I do have a right to respond.