View Full Version : Greatest Player in your NBA history?

Scout200
05-19-2011, 01:33 PM
Several people have a favorite player.. but who do you think is the greatest player in your NBA history?

Chautauqua
05-19-2011, 02:23 PM
Is this an actual debatable question?

Jersey Boss
05-19-2011, 02:24 PM
Michael Jordan. End of debate.

MikeOKC
05-19-2011, 02:25 PM
Several people have a favorite player.. but who do you think is the greatest player in your NBA history?

I'll add some of my top tens as number one isn't even debatable.

Michael Jordan
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Larry Bird
Kobe Bryant
Jerry West
Magic Johnson
Bill Russell
Wilt Chamberlain
Dr. J
Karl Malone

dmoor82
05-19-2011, 02:29 PM
MJ #23! ................................then the rest!

ljbab728
05-19-2011, 09:26 PM
Wilt

Thunder
05-20-2011, 03:52 AM
Need more Thunder fans here...

#1 - Kevin Durant

Case closed.

Lord Helmet
05-20-2011, 09:35 AM
Need more Thunder fans here...

#1 - Kevin Durant

Case closed.

Kevin is a great player...but you have no idea (again) what you're talking about.

MJ and then the rest. Greatest of all time. Thank god for WGN out of Chicago. Without WGN we'd have been stuck with ESPN hilights and the occasional weekend game. Because WGN was on basic cable we all got to watch almost every Bulls game during the MJ era.

Jersey Boss
05-20-2011, 10:56 AM
I would also like to add Oscar "The Big 'O'" Robertson to the list of 10 greatest. He averaged triple doubles for his career. I know of no other player in NBA history who did this.

Kerry
05-20-2011, 11:42 AM
As great as MJ was, the NBA didn't have to change the rules because of him. That distinction goes to Wilt.

Read this bio on nba.com and try to say with a straight face that Wilt isn't the best of all time.

http://www.nba.com/history/players/chamberlain_bio.html

jn1780
05-20-2011, 12:52 PM
Too bad we don't have a time machine so we can bring together all the great players throughout NBA history and have them play an epic all-star game. LOL

Talking about some of the older great players reminds me of that one lousy movie Will Ferrell made "Semi-Pro." The alley oop scene in particular, where everyone just stands in shock the first time the alley oop is performed.

Kerry
05-20-2011, 01:11 PM
Talking about some of the older great players reminds me of that one lousy movie Will Ferrell made "Semi-Pro." The alley oop scene in particular, where everyone just stands in shock the first time the alley oop is performed.

That movie was great - not lousy. I mean come on - he promised a free hotdog to every fan at the game if his team one, knowing that he couldn't afford it. When they won he ran out of stadium instead of paying up. It doesn't get better than that.

TaoMaas
05-23-2011, 09:09 AM
I vote for Wilt. His raw ability was way ahead of his time.

Scout200
05-26-2011, 10:48 AM
Is this an actual debatable question?

Well, there are several people in their teens and early 20s who were just young kids when Jordan was in his prime. And despite some folks' claims, I don't believe that a 4 year old has the cognizant ability to fully appreciate or understand the ins and outs of an NBA game...

Kerry
05-26-2011, 11:17 AM
Well, there are several people in their teens and early 20s who were just young kids when Jordan was in his prime. And despite some folks' claims, I don't believe that a 4 year old has the cognizant ability to fully appreciate or understand the ins and outs of an NBA game...

I had to explain to my 12 year old who Michael Jordan is because he saw him on a Hanes commercial and didn't understand why he was in the commercial. Athletes aren't like movie stars that have 50 year careers than span generations.

Spartan
05-26-2011, 11:54 AM

This is true in my case. I was a kid then, and loved to throw around the bball, and I won't say I don't have childhood MJ memories, but I didn't understand how incredible his basketball skills were. I remembered him mostly just from incredible dunks and from Space Jam, which was one of my favorite movies growing up.

But was anyone here even a cognizant basketball fan for Wilt Chamberlain? If we want to put things in perspective, and take subjectivity out of these things, don't we have a penchant for glorifying anything from the "olden days"? I mean, this debate goes deep into other sports as well, especially baseball. At the end of the day, there is no subjectivity, and that's the only objective thing that can be said about it.

I can't see how this could be anyone other than #23. Simple as that.

ljbab728
05-26-2011, 11:09 PM
But was anyone here even a cognizant basketball fan for Wilt Chamberlain? If we want to put things in perspective, and take subjectivity out of these things, don't we have a penchant for glorifying anything from the "olden days"? I mean, this debate goes deep into other sports as well, especially baseball. At the end of the day, there is no subjectivity, and that's the only objective thing that can be said about it.

I can't see how this could be anyone other than #23. Simple as that.

Spartan, I remember Wilt very well and watched him on TV often although you didn't have every game televised during his career like they are now. I guess that makes me cognizant. LOL