View Full Version : How many bikers on the board?

MattB
05-14-2011, 07:17 PM
(As in motorcycles, that is) Sound off.

bluedogok
05-14-2011, 08:00 PM
I don't consider myself a "biker" but I ride a Triumph Sprint ST.

MattB
05-14-2011, 09:34 PM
I don't consider myself a "biker" but I ride a Triumph Sprint ST.

Good enough.

rcjunkie
05-14-2011, 09:39 PM
I have two, 09 street glide and a Paradox Custom by Big Bear Choppers. I got my first bike in 1980. Since retiring in 2006, I average about 25,000 per year on my bike.

MikeOKC
05-14-2011, 10:34 PM
I hate 'em. The noise on some of those things can wake me up from a dead sleep. Some guys have to make up for their lacking in other areas with macho machinery.

mcca7596
05-14-2011, 10:43 PM
I hate 'em. The noise on some of those things can wake me up from a dead sleep. Some guys have to make up for their lacking in other areas with macho machinery.

Furthermore, said deficiency is manifested through and most easily observed in the proliferation of overly loud and modified pickup trucks. I can deal with motorcycles more than I can with insecure guys who have no real need to drive huge pickups.

ljbab728
05-14-2011, 10:53 PM
I think all of us guys should ride bicycles to show how secure we are in our masculinity. LOL

MattB
05-14-2011, 11:10 PM
I think all of us guys should ride bicycles to show how secure we are in our masculinity. LOL

Mark this day on the calendar. I like what ljbab said.

MattB
05-14-2011, 11:21 PM

And others love the feeling of freedom that a bike affords, and have an appreciation for the machinery.
Many riders prefer open pipes because of the tendency of drivers to, for whatever reason, have trouble seeing bikes, creating a very dangerous situation for the rider. Loud pipes hopefully will add another stimuli which might draw drivers' attention.
I make it a point not to wind out each gear in residential areas, and kill the engine before pulling into my drive at night, so as not to wake the neighbors.

MattB
05-14-2011, 11:21 PM

I drive a wee PT Cruiser as my daily transpo. Does that make me the most secure guy on the board?

ljbab728
05-15-2011, 12:01 AM
Mark this day on the calendar. I like what ljbab said.

OMG!!!! I must have stated something incorrectly. LOL

HewenttoJared
05-15-2011, 02:42 PM

I do. Boom.

And my car is a corolla.

pinlifter
05-15-2011, 03:22 PM
Buell XB12R & Triumph 675 Daytona both w/quiet pipes, both will get 50mpg.

exvagabond
05-16-2011, 08:22 AM
Harley Sportster with quiet pipes (I like my neighbors) that is a huge stress reliever & gas saver.

Roadhawg
05-16-2011, 08:41 AM
07 Harley Ultra Classic and a 07 Jeep Unlimited X for when the weather sucks

Soho
05-16-2011, 01:13 PM
BMW R1200GS Adventure and BMW K1200GT, both quiet.

For that "loud pipes save lives" theory to work, the pipes would have to face forward.

MattB
05-16-2011, 01:16 PM
BMW R1200GS Adventure and BMW K1200GT, both quiet.

For that "loud pipes save lives" theory to work, the pipes would have to face forward.

Hmmm.... I don't know, Soho... I can hear them coming down the street from inside my house as they approach.

Bill Robertson
05-16-2011, 01:17 PM
And others love the feeling of freedom that a bike affords, and have an appreciation for the machinery.
Many riders prefer open pipes because of the tendency of drivers to, for whatever reason, have trouble seeing bikes, creating a very dangerous situation for the rider. Loud pipes hopefully will add another stimuli which might draw drivers' attention.
I make it a point not to wind out each gear in residential areas, and kill the engine before pulling into my drive at night, so as not to wake the neighbors.

Absolutely. I have a Heritage Classic that is fairly loud. I love the freedom of riding. But my bike has nothing to do with any deficiencies in the masculinity department. I also am an avid bicyclist and longtime member/officer in the OBS (Oklahoma Bicycle Society) and drive a tiny Suzuki SX4 when the weather is not good for riding.

bluedogok
05-16-2011, 08:58 PM
Hmmm.... I don't know, Soho... I can hear them coming down the street from inside my house as they approach.
If that's the case then they are too loud.....I know my neighbor in OKC had a custom with shortys and would rev the thing up and down the street at 3:00AM, I would bet he was in his sixties also. That was one bike that I would have had no problems if it would have been stolen, wouldn't have hurt my feelings.

It doesn't help to be able to hear them inside the house, most still can't hear them until they pass you in a car with the windows rolled up, A?C on and a radio playing. Most people can't hear sirens, what makes you think they could hear loud pipes?

...of course I assume most people in cars are idiots out to kill me anyway whether I am on the bike or in a car. The sad but funny thing is that I had more close calls in my metallic red F-150 Extended Cab pickup than I have had on my bike or in my BMW Z4.

pinlifter
05-17-2011, 05:28 AM
I like to give props to ODOT for getting the message out on their electronic announcement boards. With that said every car or truck is out to get us just cover that front brake and be ready.

Soho
05-17-2011, 06:54 AM
The little woman and I were enjoying dinner on the patio of the Mantel the other night until a group of Harley riders came by. While sitting at the red light needlessly revving their engines, car alarms began to go off from the noise and vibration, ruining a peaceful and serene evening. After approximately 5 minutes the alarms stopped but while I was trying to explain to the people visiting from Memphis at the next table that those actions were not indicative of all Oklahomans, the "land pirates" came by again and did the same thing. This was repeated four times!

Sadly, all motorcyclists are judged by the actions of a few.

South Park recently made a documentary of this group of riders. :) Caution! Language may be offensive to some.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZ5w-IwEHO8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FFB_u4AP3U&feature=related

MattB
05-19-2011, 03:28 PM
Any chopper owners?

MattB
06-22-2011, 04:55 PM
Anyone know anyone good with tuning carburetors? I need tuning on a metric bike w/ 2 stage carburetors. Was hoping someone here might know someone good who works out of their residence or something to avoid paying the overhead of one of the bigger shops.

JohnnyQ
08-16-2012, 08:19 AM
I have a Buell XB 1200cc . I have owned many motorcycles, but this is my favorite.