View Full Version : Blatant Lies About Oklahoma City

MikeOKC
05-12-2011, 06:24 PM
"Profiles in NBA Obscurity: Glossy Magazine Stories That Will Never Be Written, Vol. 1"

Has anybody here mentioned this on OKCTalk? I haven't seen it mentioned and frankly, I don't ever get too upset over silly depictions of our city, but this was so brazen it had to be brought to attention.

It is this part of the article about Royal Ivey which is in a GQ blog. The offensive portion is written by WSJ writer David Roth:

"Like Ivey, OKC is something of an afterthought—a city that was never supposed to have a NBA team, a city whose best restaurant is generally agreed to be a Golden Corral and whose zoo's prime attraction, a chimp named Mwami, keeps escaping his enclosure, as if even he would rather be in Tulsa."

It's all so much crap that I couldn't believe somebody would be so ignorant. It's "generally agreed" the city's best restaurant is a Golden Corral?

http://www.gq.com/blogs/the-q/2011/05/profiles-in-obscurity.html

Oh, here's David Roth's personal blog: http://www.davidroththewriter.com
In his Twitter feed he says he's been catching crap from "trolls" from Oklahoma.

Thunder
05-12-2011, 06:59 PM
Wow, he truly is a moron. I'm so glad that the rest of the country disagree with him.

Here is some of his posts on Twitter.

Blocked OKC dude trolling me, which felt petty. I'm from NJ and know it sucks to be ****ted on by know-nots, but also whatever for this guy.

Thanks a lot. These have been the hardest hours of my life, getting called a douche by some Oklahomans I'll never meet.

Oh wow, I'm getting slagged for a joke I made about OKC. Sorry, everyone: I am sure you have many good restaurants, just like all cities do.

That is all I see about OKC. There's some other posts about the Thunder/games/players.

Thunder
05-12-2011, 07:07 PM
He just responded to you on Twitter.

@mikeokc Also, as someone from NJ I've heard many ignorant jokes about my state. My advice: write me off and jog on. Always worked for me.

@mikeokc Sorry as I am to have hurt yr feelings with a joke you didn't like, it was, finally, just a joke you didn't like. Offensive how?

He should never talk crap about OKC or any other places in the first place.

kevinpate
05-12-2011, 07:24 PM
So, if I have this correct ... someone I've never heard of wrote something in a blog, which is also one I've never heard of, and the comments resemble a purported reality in which I've never lived.

I think I can survive that just fine.

Thunder
05-12-2011, 07:29 PM
So, if I have this correct ... someone I've never heard of wrote something in a blog, which is also one I've never heard of, and the comments resemble a purported reality in which I've never lived.

I think I can survive that just fine.

Its quite damaging, because he have thousands of readers/followers. You know, lies like that can be passed on everywhere and be quite damaging when OKC is mislabeled by some uninformed people or those that are simply just jealous. I looked at some of his other tweets, he went on complaining about Thunder/Memphis games and I can sense how angry he was about Thunder winning against Memphis. He is turning his own self hate into lame act of attempting to create fraudulent info about OKC. Some people are not very bright and they may take his words quite seriously.

redrunner
05-12-2011, 07:29 PM
You guys seriously have a huge inferiority complex.

And Thunder why would you tweet the following?....
@david_j_roth is a confirmed homosexual. There's an article on him with the exposure of his gay relationship to a guy in OKC. The pix....

Whether he is gay or not is irrelevant but for you to "out" him on twitter is pretty ironic given that you announced you're a homosexual boy on a previous okctalk thread as well as the sympathetic response to incest. The heart wants what the heart wants right?

Be gone troll.

redrunner
05-12-2011, 07:30 PM
Some people are not very bright and they may take his words quite seriously.

Indeed, you are not very bright.

Thunder
05-12-2011, 07:35 PM
You guys seriously have a huge inferiority complex.

And Thunder why would you tweet the following?....

Whether he is gay or not is irrelevant but for you to "out" him on twitter is pretty ironic given that you announced you're a homosexual boy on a previous okctalk thread as well as the sympathetic response to incest. The heart wants what the heart wants right?

Be gone troll.

Wait. I don't do incest. Dunno where you get that idea from.

Well, he spinned it off as fact about what he said about OKC, so I done the same back at him to see how he feel about that.

I wonder how he know my first name? :-/ He just called me Jesse on Twitter.

MikeOKC
05-12-2011, 07:40 PM
Look, here's the deal....and why it mattered to me....

I always start my daily sports reading at the ESPN Thunder Clubhouse - it has collected Thunder news from ESPN and outside sources. ( http://espn.go.com/nba/team/_/name/okc/oklahoma-city-thunder ). Today, it contained a link to this ridiculous article. That's a lot of people being driven to his blog and this particular article from our NBA Clubhouse page. I even said in my original post that I'm not normally bothered by this kind of thing. However, this is so blatant. The way he's handling it is saying it was a "joke." Read it. You tell me it was written as a joke. He states flatly, "...a city whose best restaurant is generally agreed to be a Golden Corral..." I'm sorry, there's no humor in that - it's just a lie and it's a false depiction of Oklahoma City. To make a comment like that under the banner of a nationally-recognized magazine (GQ) and then defend it as a "joke" is just B$$llSh**.

So, it's not a horrible deal that "I can't handle" (as someone said above) or anything like that, it's just a lie and he's passing it off as a joke. He's a liar. He's also a poor journalist to not own up to this gross false characterization of our city.

redrunner
05-12-2011, 07:42 PM
It seemed like satire to me Mike.

redrunner
05-12-2011, 07:52 PM
Wait. I don't do incest. Dunno where you get that idea from.

Well, he spinned it off as fact about what he said about OKC, so I done the same back at him to see how he feel about that.

I wonder how he know my first name? :-/ He just called me Jesse on Twitter.

Here it is Jesse T. http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=23262&p=365326#post365326

MikeOKC
05-12-2011, 07:57 PM
Just for the record, I don't think attacking and "getting back" is the answer here. I can only speak for how I felt when I read that story. I thought it outrageous enough to share; I didn't mean to start a high school cafeteria food fight.

Thunder
05-12-2011, 08:08 PM
Here it is Jesse T. http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=23262&p=365326#post365326

OH MY GOD!!! :-O I must've been out of my mind and I don't remember that. To each person their own, whatever suit them. Personally, I don't do that. :-/ Thanks for reminding me, Mike.

PennyQuilts
05-12-2011, 09:09 PM
I hope he stays out of Oklahoma. He doesn't deserve to be in a nice place.

Thunder
05-12-2011, 11:41 PM
He just tweeted this...

What I've learned today, among other things, is that OKC residents don't seem to care much for Golden Corral.

True or false? :-O

I would think that Golden Corral is more popular among the Elderly.

jn1780
05-13-2011, 12:15 AM
He just tweeted this...

I notice more elderly at Furrs. The newer Golden Corrals are a lot nicer and are kinda of pricey(unless you eat a lot, LOL). Quality is so so, but the buffet selection is twice as size as the old Golden Corrals.

Larry OKC
05-13-2011, 04:33 AM
The new Golden Corrals are almost always packed (even after the newness has worn off). Wide variety of ages. Furrs does seem to trend towards more of the senior crowd (at least when I am there)

Midtowner
05-13-2011, 06:27 AM
http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/2/tumblr_l9kwllxvWr1qzi5gi.gif

TaoMaas
05-13-2011, 06:55 AM
Who goes to GQ for sports info? You'd be smarter to ask what the women of "The View" think about it. lol

HewenttoJared
05-13-2011, 06:55 AM
I like Golden Corral.

FritterGirl
05-13-2011, 08:16 AM
Much of this thread needs to be nominated for the #headdesk awards. STAT!

BG918
05-13-2011, 08:55 AM
He just tweeted this...

I had a coworker that LOVED Golden Corral and I went with him a couple times, to the one on May. I wasn't a fan. For one it is over 50% morbidly obese people who waddle up to the buffet line multiple times with their plates overflowing. Lots of "fat families" too with fat parents and fat kids.

Jesseda
05-13-2011, 09:00 AM
Do they still ring the bell when they put fresh dinner rolls, baked goods out at golden corral lol.. This guy is a complete joke, we have way better food places in okc, and who cares if some outta towner thinks our food sucks, also the zoo thing we are top 10 zoos all the time for the okc zoo, not because of a monkey that escapes all the time. The escaping monkey is just a perk to the zoo

Kerry
05-13-2011, 09:07 AM
I had a coworker that LOVED Golden Corral and I went with him a couple times, to the one on May. I wasn't a fan. For one it is over 50% morbidly obese people who waddle up to the buffet line multiple times with their plates overflowing. Lots of "fat families" too with fat parents and fat kids.

This is why we quit going. The wife said no more 'pay and pig's'.

Jesseda
05-13-2011, 09:35 AM
The starting of this was the negativity that was said about okc, how did it turn into a fat bashing golden corral post? Some people need to grow up

Bunty
05-13-2011, 10:13 AM
The new Golden Corrals are almost always packed (even after the newness has worn off). Wide variety of ages. Furrs does seem to trend towards more of the senior crowd (at least when I am there)

If a restaurant gives discounts for seniors, no wonder it seems more of them are there.

Larry OKC
05-13-2011, 11:31 PM
Most restaurants give senior discounts of some sort or another

ljbab728
05-13-2011, 11:52 PM
Most restaurants give senior discounts of some sort or another

I qualify and not very many that I visit offer that. It's mainly the buffet or cafeteria style places. If you know of a lot of others please share that with me so I can save some money. LOL

Larry OKC
05-17-2011, 03:00 AM
Do they still ring the bell when they put fresh dinner rolls, baked goods out at golden corral lol.. This guy is a complete joke, we have way better food places in okc, and who cares if some outta towner thinks our food sucks, also the zoo thing we are top 10 zoos all the time for the okc zoo, not because of a monkey that escapes all the time. The escaping monkey is just a perk to the zoo

Not at the new one on NW Expressway. They still call it the Brass Bell Bakery (but there is no bell to ring any more) :-(