View Full Version : For All Golfers

Richard at Remax
05-12-2011, 03:03 PM
Just curious to hear what people's favorite:

a) golf courses are in the State,
b) if you are a member anywhere/handicap,
c) and what's in your bag

a,b)
1) Oak Tree National (member bias. plus it's second hardest course in nation with a rating of 79.3/155)
2) Karsten Creek (ridiculously unforgiving)
3) Southern Hills in Tulsa (can't beat the old feel)
4) The Territory (gem in the middle of nowhere outside of duncan)
6) OKC Golf & CC (see #3)
7) Twin Hills in OKC (very underrated and sad that it has fallen off the radar)
8) Dornick Hills in Ardmore (can't beat the bluff hole)
9) Winter Creek in Newcastle
10) Roman Nose State park course (just played it last week, great fun course and cheap)
11) Linkin Park West (always fun)
12) Silverhorn (especially if they put some money into it)

c) I have cobra S9-1 driver and S2 woods, calloway x-18 irons and pw, ping eye 2 SW, vokey 54 lw, and 2 ball odyssey white hot putter. as far as balls I'll use anything that is for sale

and as for handicap it's at an 8.5 as of 5/12.

metro
05-14-2011, 07:03 AM
Not sure I'd agree about Oak Tree 2nd hardest in nation. I'll have to check some of those courses out, never heard of a couple of them.

positano
05-14-2011, 08:10 AM
WC - I've been out of the game too long to offer anything interesting on b and c, but I completely agree with your dozen listed in a. Couldn't think of a better group.

Two honorable mentions: "Goat Hill" (city course in Sand Springs) is as interesting terrain as you'll find around here, and while I haven't played it myself I hear good things about Chickasaw Point.

Richard at Remax
05-14-2011, 10:45 AM
Not sure I'd agree about Oak Tree 2nd hardest in nation. I'll have to check some of those courses out, never heard of a couple of them.

I am talking about statistically metro. Is it realistically? probably not.
The Ocean Course in South Carolina has a rating of 79.6/155.
OTN is 79.3/155.

Positano, I already have a weekend planned for chickisaw point as well as the winstar course in a few weeks, heard good things about both.

metro
05-15-2011, 05:10 PM
Cimmaron National and Aqua Canyon are great public courses in Guthrie. Since your mentioning private courses, Gaillardia. Rose creek isn't bad either. What about the newer course down by OU, Jimmie Austin maybe? I hear it's good.

Richard at Remax
05-23-2011, 01:27 PM
Rose Creek isn't bad. It used to be better when it didn't seem like there were 100 houses crammed on each hole. Haven't played Gaillardia yet. Jimmy Austin was falling off the map but 3-4 years ago they put a lot of money into it and re-did most of the course and it's def a top 10 university course right now.

rcjunkie
05-24-2011, 04:06 AM

a,b)
1) Oak Tree National (member bias. plus it's second hardest course in nation with a rating of 79.3/155)
10) Roman Nose State park course (just played it last week, great fun course and cheap)

c) I have cobra S9-1 driver and S2 woods, calloway x-18 irons and pw, ping eye 2 SW, vokey 54 lw, and 2 ball odyssey white hot putter. as far as balls I'll use anything that is for sale

I agree on Roman Nose, play there at least every other week. Did you notice the warning signs about snakes--now that's a true hazard.

Richard at Remax
09-24-2011, 12:18 AM
Got to play Winter Creek again today down in Blanchard. I really don't know the history of the course but it seems like it is really struggling from the last time i played it. I was told they wanted to make it this nice golf community like Rose Creek but tried to get going when the economy turned to crap. There are less than 10 houses out there right now. Ill be back again when it's in better shape

Richard at Remax
06-21-2012, 08:16 AM
9+ million for new Lincoln Park Clubhouse.

http://newsok.com/oklahoma-city-council-authorizes-bond-sale-for-new-lincoln-park-golf-course-clubhouse/article/3686148

Looks really nice and well deserved. I also like how the majority of the project will be funded by people who use the course. What a concept!

BoulderSooner
06-21-2012, 08:32 AM
I am talking about statistically metro. Is it realistically? probably not.
The Ocean Course in South Carolina has a rating of 79.6/155.
OTN is 79.3/155.

Positano, I already have a weekend planned for chickisaw point as well as the winstar course in a few weeks, heard good things about both.

the international in bolton mass has a rating of 80/155 ...

Richard at Remax
06-21-2012, 09:00 AM
Everything I could find on the International was that it was 80.0/154, including this scorecard http://www.theinternational.com/top-new-england-golf-courses/the-pines-boston-private-courses/view-scorecard/

But I can see why it would be called the hardest. It's over 8300 yards from the tips. Which just seems silly. Two pars 3's that are 270+. 715 yard par 5. Sounds like a long day.

BoulderSooner
06-21-2012, 09:13 AM

a,b)

favorite courses instate

1. Southern Hills (the hardest course instate and the best)
2. Oak Tree National
3. The Patriot (Owasso)
4. Territory
5. Oklahoma City G and CC
6. River Oaks
7. Jimmie Austin OU course

i like Karsten but for the money i rarely play there

Member at River Oaks Handicap 1.1

R11 tp 9 degree fujikura motore x shaft r9 14 degree 3wood x flex r11 19degree rescue taylormade tour preferred MB 3-pw project X 6.5 shafts 1 degree upright tour velvet grips taylomade TP wedges XFT a 52 degree bent to 54 and a 60 degree with 4 degree bounce
and a Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 2 putter

ProV1x golf balls

BoulderSooner
06-21-2012, 09:16 AM
9+ million for new Lincoln Park Clubhouse.

http://newsok.com/oklahoma-city-council-authorizes-bond-sale-for-new-lincoln-park-golf-course-clubhouse/article/3686148

Looks really nice and well deserved. I also like how the majority of the project will be funded by people who use the course. What a concept!

this will be great for lincoln ... the west course is in great shape right now ..

onthestrip
06-21-2012, 09:59 AM
Will be a great upgrade for our best municiple course. The renderings on display at the course look great. And if you have ever spent any time in the current clubhouse during a rain delay you will know why this is needed. This is a worthwhile investment.

Id still love to see Lincoln turned into a Bethpage or Torrey Pines type municiple course. Something really challenging and nice like those would be awesome. I know it wont happen but still would be great.

BoulderSooner
06-21-2012, 10:04 AM
Will be a great upgrade for our best municiple course. The renderings on display at the course look great. And if you have ever spent any time in the current clubhouse during a rain delay you will know why this is needed. This is a worthwhile investment.

Id still love to see Lincoln turned into a Bethpage or Torrey Pines type municiple course. Something really challenging and nice like those would be awesome. I know it wont happen but still would be great.

it would need a big redesign there is simply not enough room on the current east or west to have build a long enough course

onthestrip
06-21-2012, 10:07 AM
I hadnt played Jimmie Austin in forever up until a couple weeks ago. I had heard great things about it but was highly disappointed with it. Many of the fairways were dead or had no grass, it almost looked like someone had scalped them or sprayed them with something they werent supposed to. Easily the worst fairways I have played on this year. Also, Im all about a challenging course but the rough was high enough that you might be searching several minutes just to find a ball that was 5 yards from the fairway.

icecold
06-21-2012, 11:05 AM
it would need a big redesign there is simply not enough room on the current east or west to have build a long enough course

Boulder,

Disagree about not being enough room on the West to make it long enough. Would take some redesigns but I think the area and basic layout allow for it to be lengthened quite a bit. (I mean, its not like anyone is shooting a 55 on the West like they do at RO, ha).

icecold
06-21-2012, 11:12 AM
Also, have only played one of the two new 9 hole tracts open at Shangri-La but it was really, really nice. Wanting to get up there again to play the other nine and excited about the other nine they are working on (27 hole layout).

BoulderSooner
06-21-2012, 11:38 AM
Boulder,

Disagree about not being enough room on the West to make it long enough. Would take some redesigns but I think the area and basic layout allow for it to be lengthened quite a bit. (I mean, its not like anyone is shooting a 55 on the West like they do at RO, ha).

Lincoln west is a much easier course than RO .. and they did lengthen it during the last renovation .. when it became "the West at Lincoln" but with out a 100% new layout it doesn't have much room to get longer ...

that 55 was a crazy round ... but that guy is a pro and it won't be long before he is on the PGA tour ..

1972ford
06-21-2012, 01:27 PM
Dolese is the best one in the city have not got to play many in tulsa

My primary driver is a nuke followed by the Boss and Wraith I putt with a Gateway Voodoo

BTW you ball golfers should try out disc golf and help me get city coucil to set up more of them in local underutilized parks.

BoulderSooner
06-23-2012, 11:38 AM
I hadnt played Jimmie Austin in forever up until a couple weeks ago. I had heard great things about it but was highly disappointed with it. Many of the fairways were dead or had no grass, it almost looked like someone had scalped them or sprayed them with something they werent supposed to. Easily the worst fairways I have played on this year. Also, Im all about a challenging course but the rough was high enough that you might be searching several minutes just to find a ball that was 5 yards from the fairway.

Played Jimmie Austin this week and the fairways were not just good they were great. Entire course is in wonderful shape

Richard at Remax
06-26-2012, 01:15 PM
I played Jimmy a few weeks ago as well. It was in good shape but not in Great shape like I was led to believe. Tons of dead grass and dirt but still playable. M qaybe the rains over the last month helped it out some. ONly thing I don't like about JA is that there are really no holes worth remembering or special. Most are fairly straight, some with a slight dogleg. But for what you pay I guess I expect something better.

I also played Crimson Creek last weekend with a buddy of fine. PLayed at 3:30 on saturday and it was a ghost town. I actually liked the course. Only $20 too. The back nine had some interesting holes, esp the ones on the back side of the dam. Wasn't in great shape but in better shape than most of the city courses I have played this year.

BoulderSooner
06-27-2012, 07:44 AM
I played Jimmy a few weeks ago as well. It was in good shape but not in Great shape like I was led to believe. Tons of dead grass and dirt but still playable. M qaybe the rains over the last month helped it out some. ONly thing I don't like about JA is that there are really no holes worth remembering or special. Most are fairly straight, some with a slight dogleg. But for what you pay I guess I expect something better.

I also played Crimson Creek last weekend with a buddy of fine. PLayed at 3:30 on saturday and it was a ghost town. I actually liked the course. Only $20 too. The back nine had some interesting holes, esp the ones on the back side of the dam. Wasn't in great shape but in better shape than most of the city courses I have played this year.

i guess we have a difference of opinion on jimmie austin ... number 3, 5, 8 12 17 and 18 are all very very good holes ..

the biggest problem with jimmie is the amount of play in gets especially tournament play ... if it was fully private it would be in crazy good shape

FlounderinDC
06-27-2012, 09:57 AM
Jimmie Austin had some unfortunate things happen right before the NCAA regionals. They sprayed to get the grass in shape for the rest of the long, hot summer. It was supposed to take effect over a couple of weeks but it only took a few days. So some of the fairways got eaten up...it was that way at the beginning of June the last time I played. But I think they have started coming back in the last couple of weeks. It will be it really good shape this fall..or it should be.

I will agree the rough is too much right now. I can see it being high for USGA and NCAA events, but it kills me.

They are also redoing tee-boxes, all of them I think. I saw work being down out there a couple of days ago. I think some subtle other changes are coming as well. I'm biased, but I love the couse.

onthestrip
06-27-2012, 03:11 PM
Sucks if thats what they had to play on for a NCAA regional because some of the fairways were really bad, especially the long (they all are) par 5 on the front. Maybe hole 8? Other than that, everything was in pretty good shape. It can be a very challenging course (including the 250 yard par 3) and provides a good change of pace from some of the other easier courses around the metro. I will agree a bit with worthycook, there arent any holes that I would consider very memorable or spectacular. Still a good course.

OKCDrummer77
06-28-2012, 11:53 AM
I'm not an avid golfer, but I do get out a couple times a year. When I'm in the mood for a quick round, I go to Pebble Creek in Mustang. It's 9 holes, all par 3. Going from memory, I think the longest hole is only 122 yards and the shortest is only 57. A skilled golfer could play the whole course with a 7-iron, a pitching wedge, and a putter. The biggest challenge on this course is that it wraps around a pond so water is in play on 6 (or maybe 7) of the 9 holes.