View Full Version : Next fiscal year’s budget might provide for restoration of public safety positions

urbanity
05-04-2011, 11:56 AM
http://www.okgazette.com/oklahoma/article-11542-optimistic-thoughts.html

With chart of OKC sales tax growth by month

barnold
05-05-2011, 08:41 PM
Ya, there is no way there gonna comment on this one.......

kevinpate
05-06-2011, 10:24 AM
The article doesn't indicate what positions were involved in the cuts to 85 non-uniformed positions. Can imagine where some of those would be handy to have back, but perhaps they will decide to focus on restoring the uniformed cuts as a greater priority.

Another thing in that article that caught my eye was a reference to reimbursing the M3 use tax that was used for some PS positions in recent months. I dinna realize that was going to be a reimbursement required situation when they decided to access the use tax funds for PS positions.

Luck to all of the departments that have needs.

rcjunkie
05-06-2011, 07:00 PM
The article doesn't indicate what positions were involved in the cuts to 85 non-uniformed positions. Can imagine where some of those would be handy to have back, but perhaps they will decide to focus on restoring the uniformed cuts as a greater priority.

Another thing in that article that caught my eye was a reference to reimbursing the M3 use tax that was used for some PS positions in recent months. I dinna realize that was going to be a reimbursement required situation when they decided to access the use tax funds for PS positions. Luck to all of the departments that have needs.

It's not, just trying to stop the whining and fit throwing.

Mikemarsh51
05-08-2011, 12:12 PM
I heard from someone in the budget department that the City has so much cash coming in that they are having a hard time finding places to "keep" it all. We know they have methods of disguising how much they have on hand. Maps3 collections are up 6 million. Happy days are here again!

kevinpate
05-08-2011, 12:23 PM
Since the 1 cent MAPs 3 tax has produced 6 million above its estimate for the period thus far, unless it is estimated differently from other aspects of sales tax, would each 1 cent increment of the sales tax collected through OKC also be running at or near 6 million above projections for the same time period?

If so, wouldn't that be worthy of a rooftop shoutout of joy rather than yeah, it is nice, but it's still dark, dark out there?

Just asking.

Midtowner
05-08-2011, 05:25 PM

Larry OKC
05-08-2011, 06:01 PM
You are correct Kevinpate. It is good news to be sure and the continued rise in sales tax collections would seem to indicate that it is more than just insurance money from storms etc. Think we are still below pre-recession levels, but so far so good.

urbanity
05-18-2011, 11:19 AM
Restoration project

The proposed city budget allows for the reinstatement of previously eliminated public safety positions.

http://www.okgazette.com/oklahoma/article-11674-restoration-project.html

kevinpate
05-18-2011, 01:46 PM
And appears to put funds back into the M3 use tax trough to replace funds that had been keeping some PS positions afloat. Perhaps another new truck or other delayed purchases will be in the works during okc's coming fiscal year? Luck with that. seriously.