View Full Version : May 3,1999

SoonerQueen
05-02-2011, 10:26 PM
http://newsok.com/may3

Where were you?

cameron_405
05-02-2011, 10:35 PM
"...Where were you?"

...was at home (Eagle Crest apartments on Council -- $575/mo 2 bdrm then), and my unit was on the third level. Knowing the situation was grave, with Peekabó on my shoulder (African Grey), we drove to the "STAX" store at Council & Hefner and sought refuge with the employee and two other customers in the freezer.

Dustin
05-03-2011, 02:15 AM
All I remember is being underground in a parking garage near the Penn Square Mall area and looking outside and seeing a lightning show! It was the one of the most spectacular things I have ever seen. Awesome and oh soo scary at the same time.. I would say probably 5 strikes every second happened. It didn't seem real. I was 9 when the tornadoes came through so I don't remember very much but the lightning is etched into my memory...

rcjunkie
05-03-2011, 04:14 AM
I was trapped under the bridge a NW 27th and I-35, the tornado passed right over us, never been so scared in my life. No injuries, but new SUV was destroyed.

ddavidson8
05-03-2011, 10:56 AM
In my apartment complex at Hunter's Ridge, NWX and Council. Some of us eventually moved down to the bathrooms by the pool.

Jesseda
05-03-2011, 11:23 AM
Lived with my parents off of 27th street and eastern area, we got into the storm shelter and i remember looking up out of it ans seeing tree limbs flying overhead about 100 feet or so up, the whole sky spinning, it was scary.. I went to Moore christian school so school was not canceled. the creapiest thing was looking out from the 2nd floor classs room and counting the telephone poles down eastern then seeing a couple twisted and broken poles, then the damage the tornado caused, school finished up early that year for us, since half the teachers lost there home and about 1 out of every 3 sudents lost there home..

kevinpate
05-03-2011, 12:11 PM
I was in Norman proper, about the safest place in central OK one can be when ugly weather comes a calling. Did a bunch of watching from the yard and on the telly and worried for friends along the pathways that day.

dmoor82
05-03-2011, 01:27 PM
I was at a Blazers playoff game at The Myriad,and we were all rushed into the underground parking garage.Later on going home that night to Choctaw we found out our hometown had been hit!

Bunty
05-04-2011, 12:11 AM
I was in Norman proper, about the safest place in central OK one can be when ugly weather comes a calling. Did a bunch of watching from the yard and on the telly and worried for friends along the pathways that day.

How can you count Norman as about the safest place from tornados in central Oklahoma after it finally had its first tornado a couple or so years ago?

betts
05-04-2011, 09:05 AM
Coming home from Italy, siitting in the airport in Chicago waiting to board a flight to OKC. We watched the breaking news on the television screen at the gate. And I remember that flight being one of the most turbulent I've ever been on. I was relieved when we touched down in OKC a couple of hours later.

ewoodard
05-04-2011, 11:15 AM
In the hallway of my home under a mattress with my wife and son as the tornado hit the house. Lasted about 30 to 40 seconds and did considerable damage to the house, but was able to rebuild and still live there today. House is located 3/4 of mile north of Twids Sporting Goods.

ou48A
05-04-2011, 01:58 PM
Being somewhat aware of the WX dynamics of that day we evacuated our area of Norman well in advance of the tornado after hearing Gary England talking about the possibly of it making a right turn into Norman.

I have done enough storm chasing and spotting to know that one of the worst mistakes you can make is allowing yourself to be trapped on a urban interstate. It’s a big mistake to not keep yourself well informed - so that you don’t find yourself in a bad situation.
Stick to roads that give you the ability to maneuver.

If I have plenty of time and good visibility I now evacuate out of the path of a tornado particularly if it’s a PDS situation. I have a WX radio in each vehicle. If it’s a PDS day you’re going to know it by paying attention.

TaoMaas
05-04-2011, 04:42 PM
I was in the weather center at Ch. 9, glancing at the feeds from out in the field whenever I got a chance.

OKC Heel
05-12-2011, 02:15 PM
I had just moved from coastal North Carolina to Midwest City, 10 days prior. I stood on the balcony of my 2nd floor apt off Air Depot and watched an amazing show of Natures fury. There was no way i was going to miss something so amazing - i've been hooked on OK spring storms ever since.

Thunder
05-12-2011, 09:09 PM
I had just moved from coastal North Carolina to Midwest City, 10 days prior. I stood on the balcony of my 2nd floor apt off Air Depot and watched an amazing show of Natures fury. There was no way i was going to miss something so amazing - i've been hooked on OK spring storms ever since.

How far was the tornado from you? Sure is such a Welcome to Oklahoma! surprise for you. Did you regret relocating during that time?

---

I can only remember that day when mom and I went shopping at Lowes in South OKC by I-240. I remember seeing the clouds being flluffy, I dunno, it was just something that had me sensing/feeling that something bad was going to happen. It was mostly clear skies with some fluffy clouds. (I don't remember the morning portion or any morning cloudy with rain.) During checkout, a lady behind us was talking about a tornado coming, so mom and I listened to KFOR on the radio. We went to Subway on 29th in Del City to get our meals and onto McDonald's for brother. At that point, it started to rain, and when we got home, brother brought in the two bunnies from their outside playpen. We were hooked to the television watching it all unfold and I can say it was exciting and scary at the same time. Brother was all screaming and wanting to leave, go to DCHS shelter, a neighbor mentioned it earlier, but we elected to stay home. When that beast came within blocks of us, mom was actually sitting on her bed and only allowing brother and I in her walk-in closet with our bunnies, hamster, and birds.

TaoMaas
05-13-2011, 09:21 AM

Congratulations! You're an official Okie. When the tornado sirens go off, visitors scramble for cover. Real Okies go outside to watch the storm. lol

Thunder
05-13-2011, 09:29 AM
Congratulations! You're an official Okie. When the tornado sirens go off, visitors scramble for cover. Real Okies go outside to watch the storm. lol

I'll second that.

UnclePete
05-14-2011, 09:10 AM
Was in Des Moines holding a new-hire class for my employer. One of my students called me to tell me to turn on CNN, and I simply could not believe it. My sister and my nephew both lived in Moore and I immediately tried to call both of them. Of course, the phone lines were busy and or out of service, but I went through the tie-line of my employer and was able to reach my sisters cell phone. They were all in the cellar including my nephew and his family. His was one of the first houses in SW Moore that was hit and totally destroyed.