View Full Version : FREE STAR PARTY at MARTIN PARK NATURE CENTER

FritterGirl
05-02-2011, 12:14 PM
Free Star Party at Martin Park Nature Center

Amateur star gazers can take a look at the world beyond during a FREE public star party beginning at dusk on Saturday, May 7 at Martin Park Nature Center, 5000 West Memorial Road.

Members of the Oklahoma City Astronomy Club will set up telescopes in the parking lot of Martin Park and will be on hand to conduct brief tours of the night sky and answer questions about stargazing. The star party also gives people interested in astronomy the opportunity to sample a wide range of telescopes, from smaller refractors to large reflecting instruments.

“If the skies are clear, we look to have a spectacular night of star-gazing,” said Oklahoma City Astronomy Club president Brad Ferguson. “We anticipate moonset shortly after 5 p.m., so skies will be dark enough to view many double stars, star clusters, as well as more faint objects.”

According to Ferguson, the planet Saturn will also be visible all evening in the southwest, making for prime viewing for those interested in seeing this unique ringed planet.

The Oklahoma City Astronomy Club is affiliated with the Astronomical League. It meets on the second Friday of each month at Science Museum Oklahoma, with a novice session at 6:45 p.m. in the Planetarium, followed by a general session at 7:30 p.m.

Martin Park Nature Center is managed by the Oklahoma City Parks & Recreation Department. For more information, call Martin Park at 755-0676.

Roadhawg
05-02-2011, 01:05 PM
Thanks for the info !!

HewenttoJared
05-02-2011, 04:03 PM
Me and the future misses will be there.

HewenttoJared
05-07-2011, 04:08 PM
It's looking very clear. Should be able to watch at least four of Saturn's moon's orbits.

redrunner
05-07-2011, 04:23 PM
Me and the future misses will be there.

I thought you were the misses.

HewenttoJared
05-07-2011, 10:58 PM
Hehe. No.

ljbab728
05-08-2011, 12:39 AM
I thought you were the misses.

He was, but global warming changed that. LOL

HewenttoJared
05-08-2011, 07:56 AM
No, it doesn't change sexes. It does do some bad stuff though. But thats only if you believe in "science" and all that nonsense.

kevinpate
05-08-2011, 07:59 AM
Hope you had a good star party. It was a great night to be out and about in OKC, unless of course you were in whatever brought on the 7-8 policia vehicles to the Bricktown Sonic/Falcones/Harkins plaza about 10:45. Rest of DT was very enjoyable and quiet.