View Full Version : Dress codes/School uniforms

Patrick
03-22-2005, 12:01 AM
How do you feel about dress codes at school? What about school uniforms? Obviously, several schools have started requiring uniforms, claiming they take the focus off what other students are wearing and placing it on classwork!

Jay
03-22-2005, 01:49 AM
I don't think uniforms would hurt most students; however, clothing is one of only a handful of identity items some kids have. When you take away their favorite clothes, you take a piece of their personality.

I support schools that ban attire that is offensive, revealing or something that creates a safety hazard. I do think when teens reach close to the end of their senior year. They should be required to dress for a business environment.

It does not need to be a suit or shirt and tie kind of thing. Something simple like business casual attire would be perfect. As long the attire looks professional and clean.

Teenagers need to know how to dress for work. Most jobs (except Wal-Mart and some blue collar fields) require you to look presentable when you come to work. Your uniform issued by the company or work attire needs to be laundered cleaned and pressed. You need to be properly groomed and ready to go work when you hit the door.

I work for a well paying retailer. I see too many teens that are passed up for jobs because of a lack proper grooming. My employer turns away applicants who do not have a professional appearance.

Teenagers need to know if you want a good job, you need to dress for the interview, as well as dress properly for work.

Lastly something everyone should know is that most employers turn away people with body piercings and tattoos. The customers these companies serve are offended by people who do not look professional.

workman45
03-22-2005, 06:52 AM
A fairly strict dress code is a necessity at a good school. On the other hand, I'm more neutral towards uniforms.

mranderson
03-22-2005, 07:26 AM
When I was in school, boys had to wear their shirt tails tucked in, they had to wear either plain t-shirts or dress shirts, decent shoes, no holes in their clothing, no jewelry except a watch and a ring, hair neatly combed and nearly a "cop cut," or business cut, no facial hair except muttinchops or a neatly trimmed mustache.

Girls had to wear dresses that were no shorter than about a hand width above the knee, lingrere, no see thru anything, no exposed midriff (navel, if you will), one pair of earrings, a watch, necklace and ring at most. They were not allowed any other body piercings, tattoos or anything like that. They had to dress like a lady. Nice slacks or jeans in clean, untattered condition were also allowed.

We never had school shootings, the one who did drugs was the outcast, rarely saw pregnant girls, rarely saw criminals in school, nerly everyone paid attention was respectful of their peers and teachers, had very few people act out, rarely had a suicude, and more.

Yes. Most of our moms worked inside the home, and dad was there in the evening, and this should still be the way. However, having strict dress code also made ladies and gentlemen, not sluts, pimps, drug addicts, and criminals.

I have no doubt that going back to strict regulation can change the degrading of our society and bring it back too the way it was when I was a kid.

Yes. Some will say I am dreaming and "times change." THAT, my friend, is an excuse. NOT a reason. It is an act of denial.

Midtowner
03-22-2005, 07:54 AM
I went to a McGuinness where we had a pretty strict dress code (I understand that now they wear uniforms). Boys had to wear slacks every day (no jeans) anda collared shirt -- that meant a polo or oxford style shirt. Girls could wear dressy shorts (which was unfair as we could not ;) ), skirts, and slacks. They also had to wear 'business style' tops (not sure of the terminology). On Fridays, we could wear school spirit t-shirts.

Still, many found ways to abuse this (this was back when "grunge" was popular).

Rev. Bob
03-22-2005, 09:18 AM
School uniforms aren't a bad idea if you allow some degree of freedom. Midtowner's example from McGuiness is suitable alternative to uniforms: simply require students to wear a certain type of clothing, like solid colored shirts, and slacks.

Certain clothing, piercings, hair styles, etc. do take children's minds of of their school work.

oklacity75, what kinds of piercings do employers frown upon? I know some women who have various ear piercings apart from typical lobe piercings and they aren't too big of a turn off. Also, most navel rings aren't exposed. I consider nose rings, lip rings, eye brow rings, tongue rings, etc. to be a turn off though.

Karried
03-22-2005, 09:50 AM
"Teenagers need to know how to dress for work. Most jobs (except Wal-Mart and some blue collar fields) require you to look presentable when you come to work. Your uniform issued by the company or work attire needs to be laundered cleaned and pressed. You need to be properly groomed and ready to go work when you hit the door. "

What better way for them to get experience dressing nicely and professionally if they have to wear slacks and button down shirts everyday?

My son was in private school for four years and they all wore Blue or White Oxford button down shirts and Blue/Black Slacks, they were so cute!

I think it is great to have a dress code and I'm all for uniforms. So many kids get teased when they can't afford designer clothes, makes it so easy to get dressed everyday - they need to focus on learning - they already have enough peer pressure as it is ... and they have the next 50 years to express themselves!

Jay
03-22-2005, 12:39 PM
oklacity75, what kinds of piercings do employers frown upon? I know some women who have various ear piercings apart from typical lobe piercings and they aren't too big of a turn off. Also, most navel rings aren't exposed. I consider nose rings, lip rings, eye brow rings, tongue rings, etc. to be a turn off though.

I guess should have clearer on my post. Its mostly anything that can't be hidden by clothing. Ears are okay with most employers. I know my company makes male employess wear earings in both ears if they choose to wear them.

The piercings I was talking about were the last few you mentioned. When your face or your tounge looks like pin cushion. That tends to offend some people. In my eyes its the equivalent of other bad personal grooming. Such as not shaving, not brushing your teeth, or not bathing. Your customers are the bread and butter of your business. You owe it to your customers to look professional. When you look professional your showing you care about your job.

Karried
03-22-2005, 01:04 PM
Did you see on the news the other day that come customers were finding nose and tongue rings/studs in their food!!!!!!!!!! OMG I would die!

Keith
03-22-2005, 07:47 PM
I went to a McGuinness where we had a pretty strict dress code (I understand that now they wear uniforms). Boys had to wear slacks every day (no jeans) anda collared shirt -- that meant a polo or oxford style shirt. Girls could wear dressy shorts (which was unfair as we could not ;) ), skirts, and slacks. They also had to wear 'business style' tops (not sure of the terminology). On Fridays, we could wear school spirit t-shirts.
My daughter just started going to Belle Isle this year, and it is the first time she has ever had to wear a uniform. I was skeptical at first, however, I really do like it now. She loves the school and has no problem wearing her uniform. Plus, she is an excellent student, and gets along great with all of her teachers and her principal.

They do get "special" days where they can wear their Belle Isle shirts and jeans, so they do get a break now and then.

Now, my daughter doesn't have to decide what fashion statement she makes each day......of course, when she gets home from school, she changes into her comfy clothes.

Keith
03-22-2005, 07:55 PM
I guess should have clearer on my post. Its mostly anything that can't be hidden by clothing. Ears are okay with most employers. I know my company makes male employess wear earings in both ears if they choose to wear them.

The piercings I was talking about were the last few you mentioned. When your face or your tounge looks like pin cushion. That tends to offend some people. In my eyes its the equivalent of other bad personal grooming. Such as not shaving, not brushing your teeth, or not bathing. Your customers are the bread and butter of your business. You owe it to your customers to look professional. When you look professional your showing you care about your job.
I totally agree. The teens may think it is real cool to have all of these piercings now, however, whenever they get out in the real world, these "piercings" will not be cool anymore. If they want a decent job, they will have to shave, brush their teeth, lose the piercings, and look professional (as oklacity75 put it). Plus, they have to wear nice clothes, not jeans that come down to their waist where they show half of their boxers.

I have a co-worker that has a son who is 18 years old. He has held down three jobs, I think. His ears, eyebrows, nose, and tongue are all pierced. Plus, he has a huge ring in his earlobe. He wears a mohawk haircut, smokes like a chimney, and reaks.......and he can't figure out why he can't get a job.

PamK1
03-23-2005, 03:19 PM
I'm for a dress code as long as there is enough room to allow for some variety. Maybe allow jeans on Fridays and sports days, collared shirts (tucked in), etc. Give some freedom on colors and styles. Just no t-shirts or anything too casual or commercial. I think it keeps the kid's minds on school. Parents also don't have to worrry about buying whatever over priced fad is out there - Like $100 sneakers and $60 pants!

asta2
03-23-2005, 03:45 PM
My kids have been in uniforms since preschool. I have 6th, 4th, and 2nd graders. They have never known any difference. I love it! They all look the same. You can't really tell who has the "money" and who doesn't. It puts them all on a sort of level playing field. I think it also creates a more comfortable environment for them to break out of small circle of friends or clicks. We have only had very positive results.

mranderson
03-23-2005, 03:52 PM
My kids have been in uniforms since preschool. I have 6th, 4th, and 2nd graders. They have never known any difference. I love it! They all look the same. You can't really tell who has the "money" and who doesn't. It puts them all on a sort of level playing field. I think it also creates a more comfortable environment for them to break out of small circle of friends or clicks. We have only had very positive results.

That is a good point. I wrote earlier in this thread what it wa like when I was in school. However, what i did not say was, yes. You could tell the wealthy kids from the others... As one of the wealthiest kids in my graduating class, if not THE wealthiest, I paid dearly for it due to being able to tell us apart.

Patrick
03-23-2005, 10:47 PM
Students do have some choices in most uniform systems. I personally don't like the term "uniforms" because it makes you think everyone is wearing the same thing. Actually most schools allow students to wear 3 or four colors of slacks, and solid colored collared shirts. Mix and match colors.

I agree with you guys.....this system prevents poorer kids from standing out and being teased. Wealthier kids aren't able to wear Tommy and Polo clothing in a uniform system.

Karried
03-24-2005, 08:24 AM
This is horrible, piercing studs or hoops are one thing but this is really really bad- From my home of San Jose, no less....

SAN FRANCISCO - A diner at a Wendy’s fast food restaurant in San Jose, California, found a human finger in a bowl of chili prepared by the chain, local officials said on Wednesday.
“This individual apparently did take a spoonful, did have a finger in their mouth and then, you know, spit it out and recognized it,” said Ben Gale, director of the department of environmental health for Santa Clara County. “Then they had some kind of emotional reaction and vomited.”

Local officials launched an investigation after the incident on Tuesday night and the medical examiner determined on Wednesday that the object was a human finger.

Officials are trying to determine if the finger came in the raw materials Wendy’s used to prepare the chili, Gale said.

Wendy’s International Inc. corporate office did not immediately return a call for comment. Wendy’s is the third-largest hamburger chain.

Midtowner
03-24-2005, 09:43 AM
http://joueb.com/gamin/images/Piercing.jpg

This man was seen near the restaurant in the above article.

Karried
03-24-2005, 11:19 AM
Waitress, there's a hoop in my soup! :LolLolLol

Keith
03-24-2005, 08:59 PM
Wow, so that is what Patrick looks like.:LolLolLol

nurfe75
03-26-2005, 06:52 PM
I don't understand why people want to mutilate their bodies like that. Does anyone find that attractive or appealing in any way? For me, one small tattoo was painful enough. Maybe I'm just a wimp :)

nurfe75
03-26-2005, 06:56 PM
The only problem I have with school uniforms is that it would put undue stress on the taxpayer to supply them to public schools. I would agree more with a kind of dress code like you get at work--where you must be dressed "business casual." That would allow some flexibility and yet keep the focus on school and not how well dressed people are.

I don't understand the dyed-in-the-wool liberals who believe kids should be allowed to wear whatever they want just to express themselves. They're kids for god's sake. School is about learning, not about trying to look cool and show off how rich your parents are.

Jay
03-26-2005, 09:42 PM
Most schools that have uniforms do not provide uniforms for everyone. They only provide the uniforms to students whose familes are poverty stricken.

Public school uniforms are normally pretty flexible and reasonably priced. Most schools require a plain solid color (Which is normally one or more of the spirit colors of the school.) sweater or collared shirt.

These shirts can usually be worn with khaki pants or khaki shorts. This makes it to where the parent can buy the uniform from the school or anywhere they choose.

Midtowner
03-26-2005, 11:31 PM
The only problem I have with school uniforms is that it would put undue stress on the taxpayer to supply them to public schools. I would agree more with a kind of dress code like you get at work--where you must be dressed "business casual." That would allow some flexibility and yet keep the focus on school and not how well dressed people are.

I don't understand the dyed-in-the-wool liberals who believe kids should be allowed to wear whatever they want just to express themselves. They're kids for god's sake. School is about learning, not about trying to look cool and show off how rich your parents are.

Parents have to buy clothing for their children regardless of whether it's a uniform or not. The fact that it is a uniform, if it's reasonably priced, shouldn't bother the parents. Now, Catholic Schools (when I was there) used to require that you purchase the uniforms from a clothing company owned by the Church, and shocker! Clothes were expensive. I doubt this is the case, however, with public school uniforms. They are most likely very affordable compared to what parents usually have to buy for their kids.

Patrick
03-28-2005, 08:56 PM
Our church actually provided free uniforms as a gift to Taft Middle School at the beginning of the school year. Their uniforms simply consist of Khaki or navy colored pants or shorts, and solid colored collared shirts. We donated a few pairs of clothes, and we actually found them to be much cheaper than some of the designer clothes some parents buy for their kids. We got an entire outfit for $30.

I personally don't see what the difference is between buying khaki colored pants or blue jeans! Or between buying solid colored shirts or printed shirts. Clothes are clothes.