View Full Version : OKC #2 most violent Capital City in US

OKC Heel
04-26-2011, 02:36 PM
Atlanta takes the top spot.

http://www.koco.com/slideshow/news/27676604/detail.html

mcca7596
04-26-2011, 03:12 PM
Somewhat surprising; most disconcerting is that I assume this isn't overall crime data, it's based on things like rape, murder, assault, etc... as these constitute "violence".

Spartan
04-26-2011, 03:19 PM
At least we have an over-paid police force. Thank goodness for that.

Too bad police forces don't seem to be a very effective way of fighting crime these days...but ah well.

TheTravellers
04-26-2011, 03:45 PM
OK's also on the 10 least peaceful states list:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/13/10-most-violent-states_n_848317.html#s263574&title=8_Oklahoma

mcca7596
04-26-2011, 03:53 PM
Too bad police forces don't seem to be a very effective way of fighting crime these days...but ah well.

Are you eluding to the proposition that community redevelopment and investment is one of the best ways to fight crime? If so, I agree.

Snowman
04-26-2011, 08:24 PM
Somewhat surprising; most disconcerting is that I assume this isn't overall crime data, it's based on things like rape, murder, assault, etc... as these constitute "violence".

40% is of overall violent crime data per 100,000 people, the other 60% is somewhat more gray. 20% of it is number of people in jail, it gives cities that have revolving door policies an advantage. Also 40% is from number of police and number of guns, which are slightly more arguable how affective that is because if you are determined enough you can get a gun most anywhere and find a time when police are not around.

mcca7596
04-26-2011, 08:27 PM
Thanks for that info Snowman, where did you find that out?

Snowman
04-26-2011, 08:53 PM
Thanks for that info Snowman, where did you find that out?

the one I was referring to was the huffington post one, the FBI one seems like news agencies like to post with no mention of how it was compiled, deep reporting their. It is funny that the put this out even when at least a couple did not make numbers available. ... later edit ... I am giving up on finding the methods used to determine the FBI list, at least some good news is violent crime is down 6.2% national over the last 6 months and arson is down 14.6%.

Apparently the FBI does not support the media style slideshows the press puts out, this seems to be their standard disclaimer on the city report pages

Figures used in this Report were submitted voluntarily by law enforcement agencies throughout the country. Individuals using these tabulations are cautioned against drawing conclusions by making direct comparisons between cities. Comparisons lead to simplistic and/or incomplete analyses that often create misleading perceptions adversely affecting communities and their residents. Valid assessments are possible only with careful study and analysis of the range of unique conditions affecting each local law enforcement jurisdiction. It is important to remember that crime is a social problem and, therefore, a concern of the entire community. The efforts of law enforcement are limited to factors within its control. The data user is, therefore, cautioned against comparing statistical data of individual agencies.

Kerry
04-26-2011, 09:58 PM
How many times do you see OKC on an episode of Cops?

cameron_405
04-26-2011, 10:01 PM
How many times do you see OKC on an episode of Cops?

...to my knowledge, COPS has only filmed in Oklahoma City once in the early 1990's -- followed the lake patrol on their duties, but the episode never aired (not enough action?). I have seen Tulsa featured on COPS numerous times.

Kerry
04-26-2011, 10:02 PM
They are in Sacramento, Nashville, Atlanta, and Phoenix all the time.

TulsaRobert
04-26-2011, 10:40 PM
...to my knowledge, COPS has only filmed in Oklahoma City once in the early 1990's -- followed the lake patrol on their duties, but the episode never aired (not enough action?). I have seen Tulsa featured on COPS numerous times.

Tulsa has only been on COPS four times in the entire history of the show (Episode Guide (http://www.tv.com/cops-1989/show/28229/episode.html?season=All&tag=ep_guide;paginator;All)). Looks like they followed Tulsa County Sheriff's Office for a couple of months back in 2009, and were planning on spreading that over 6-12 episodes: Fox 23 - "FOX's "COPS" show in Tulsa County" (http://www.fox23.com/news/local/story/FOXs-COPS-show-in-Tulsa-County/EnQdMWSMcEaE7mWq8PliPw.cspx). However, they were only able to get enough footage for the following four episodes:

Season 22, Episode 10 – Aired: 11/21/2009 COPS - Slacker Crimes Special Edition
COPS - Slacker Crimes Special Edition. Stories from Arizona and Florida include: Tulsa County, Arizona Sheriff's deputy Ryan Ayers is dispatched to a carjacking which ends after a foot pursuit. Palm Beach County, Florida Sheriff's deputies Edward Elliot and Bryan Fitch are called to a domestic disturbance involving a father and his two sons. Broken Arrow, Oklahoma Police Officer Eric Keech and Cpl. Tim Jentsch investigate a young woman found passed out on the side of the road by a church.
Season 22, Episode 21 – Aired: 1/16/2010 COPS - Coast To Coast
COPS from Oklahoma, California, and Florida. This weeks stories include: Tulsa County Deputy Ryan Ayers investigates a vehicle that is stopped in the middle of a highway. San Bernardino County Deputy Eddie Bachman spots two suspects that were wanted for another crime. Boynton Beach Officer Justin Harris stops a car making a u-turn in front of a known drug house.
Season 22, Episode 22 – Aired: 1/23/2010 COPS - Coast To Coast
COPS from California, and Oklahoma. This week's stories include: When San Bernardino County Sheriff's Deputies get to the scene of what has been called in as a minor accident, they discover a terrible multi-car collision. Tulsa County, Oklahoma, Sheriff deputies start what they think will be a routine traffic stop on a vehicle, only to have it turn into a foot chase with K-9 dogs.
Season 22, Episode 23 – Aired: 1/30/2010 COPS - Coast To Coast
COPS from Oklahoma and Florida. This week's stories include: Officers from the Tulsa County Sheriff's Office in Oklahoma pursue a man after he refuses to stop for a park ranger. When they hit a dead end, the suspect starts running and is taken down by the officers. The Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office in Florida makes a routine traffic stop in a drug neighborhood for an improper turn signal and discovers a loaded revolver under the front seat of a convicted felon's car.

bombermwc
04-27-2011, 06:35 AM
Well hang on now, if it's CAPITAL cities, then that's a whole different ball game. NYC, Chicago, LA, etc.....none of them are capital cities folks. In fact, it's LESS common for the largest city to be the capital. So we're comparing ourselves to the Jefferson City, MO's of the country...not the big MSA's out there.

It's all in context. You want a study that does a better job of comparing crime, it would cover all cities. Go look at the list of state capitals and see if you even know where 1/2 of the cities are. I'm sure everyone knows where Augusta, ME is right?

David
04-27-2011, 07:55 AM
Anything is true once you add enough adjectives.

Kerry
04-27-2011, 08:02 AM
What is the crime rate in Helena, MT or Bismark, ND.

BBatesokc
04-27-2011, 08:07 AM
Well hang on now, if it's CAPITAL cities, then that's a whole different ball game. NYC, Chicago, LA, etc.....none of them are capital cities folks. In fact, it's LESS common for the largest city to be the capital. So we're comparing ourselves to the Jefferson City, MO's of the country...not the big MSA's out there.

It's all in context. You want a study that does a better job of comparing crime, it would cover all cities. Go look at the list of state capitals and see if you even know where 1/2 of the cities are. I'm sure everyone knows where Augusta, ME is right?

Good point - certainly more on point that where the show COPS has filmed. Filming for that show has much more to do with production issues and police cooperation that who has more crime.

Bunty
04-27-2011, 11:38 AM
40% is of overall violent crime data per 100,000 people, the other 60% is somewhat more gray. 20% of it is number of people in jail, it gives cities that have revolving door policies an advantage. Also 40% is from number of police and number of guns, which are slightly more arguable how affective that is because if you are determined enough you can get a gun most anywhere and find a time when police are not around.

What causes so much crime in Oklahoma and OKC? Poverty? Low pay jobs? Lack of ambition to become a better, more productive person? Drug addiction, especially to meth?

mcca7596
04-27-2011, 12:11 PM
What causes so much crime in Oklahoma and OKC? Poverty? Low pay jobs? Lack of ambition to become a better, more productive person? Drug addiction, especially to meth?

I'd say all of those and just low standards and appreciation for life in general.

BG918
04-27-2011, 01:11 PM

What makes you believe it is any worse here than other states?

poe
04-27-2011, 06:04 PM
Now Little Rock had a HBO special not too long ago - perhaps 12 years - about gang violence. I'm sure it's cleaned up since then, but I would much rather be in OKC than Little Rock.

Jersey Boss
04-27-2011, 07:17 PM
At least we have an over-paid police force. Thank goodness for that.

What do you consider a fair wage for being a cop?

TulsaRobert
04-27-2011, 09:28 PM
Now Little Rock had a HBO special not too long ago - perhaps 12 years - about gang violence. I'm sure it's cleaned up since then, but I would much rather be in OKC than Little Rock.

North Little Rock is still having quite a few problems with gangs, according to a friend of mine. That being said, I would much rather be in Tulsa or OKC than little rock as well!

BG918
04-27-2011, 10:29 PM
Surprised not to see Jackson, MS, Phoenix, AZ, Columbus, OH, Indianapolis, IN or Nashville, TN ahead of OKC..

ljbab728
04-27-2011, 11:24 PM
Anything is true once you add enough adjectives.

Exactly right, David. If you had a list of the most violent capital cities in the US that started with the letter "O", we could be number one. LOL

Kerry
04-27-2011, 11:48 PM
Exactly right, David. If you had a list of the most violent capital cities in the US that started with the letter "O", we could be number one. LOL

What about Olympia?

ljbab728
04-28-2011, 12:04 AM
What about Olympia?

You have to be kidding!!! I would be afraid to walk down the street there. LOL

HOT ROD
04-28-2011, 12:23 PM
I'm surprised too, since there are a number of other large metros like OKC that also happen to be state capitol cities.

Atlanta, Austin, Boston, Denver, Indy, Nashville, Phoenix, Salt Lake, and Sacramento are all major cities and/or metro areas in addition to Oklahoma City, and I'd argue that more than JUST Atlanta should be on the higher than OKC violent crime list. ....

I'd even argue that 2nd/3rd tier cities/metros like Baton Rouge, Columbia, Jackson, Little Rock (definitely), Saint Paul, AND Trenton should all have higher crime rates per capita than OKC.

TheTravellers
04-29-2011, 10:06 AM
I'd say all of those and just low standards and appreciation for life in general.

Agreed. OK is consistently one of the poorest and undereducated states in the country.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_by_income (OK's #45)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._States_by_Education_attainment (OK's #42)

adaniel
04-29-2011, 10:22 AM
I'm surprised too, since there are a number of other large metros like OKC that also happen to be state capitol cities.

Atlanta, Austin, Boston, Denver, Indy, Nashville, Phoenix, Salt Lake, and Sacramento are all major cities and/or metro areas in addition to Oklahoma City, and I'd argue that more than JUST Atlanta should be on the higher than OKC violent crime list. ....

I'd even argue that 2nd/3rd tier cities/metros like Baton Rouge, Columbia, Jackson, Little Rock (definitely), Saint Paul, AND Trenton should all have higher crime rates per capita than OKC.

I've been to Baton Rouge a few times. Quite possibly one of the most violent little towns I've ever been to.

I'm certainly not suggesting crime here is nonexistant, but any poll that puts OKC above that place is bunk. Just another useless inflammatory poll designed to get hits for a website.