View Full Version : Warr Acres Ticket

Taranis
04-22-2011, 09:02 AM
So my wife was driving to work this morning and got pulled over for not having her headlights on. The headlights are usually set on automatic but I have he habit of turning them off manually when I drive the vehicle. Anyway, the police officer told her that he had run her plate and that she did not have insurance, prior to looking at her insurance verification. He then ticketed her and pretty much said you are lucky because I could have impounded the vehicle. When she called the insurance company they said there is no problem with their records and that the DMV must not have their records updated. Now, we are left trying to figure out how to clear this problem.
When we checked both of our vehicles with the on-line insurance verification system https://ocivs.dps.state.ok.us/ it shows that we have insurance. Also, I am not sure of the reason why we have to carry insurance verification if it does not serve as verification and the police can just run your tag to see if you have insurance. Or, how the police can verify insurance by just running the tag while the on-line system needs the VIN, Policy #, and NAIC Code. Or, how the police cant ticket for lack of insurance verification and threaten to impound vehicles when all the necessary documents are provided to them. Is this a thing where the officer just needs to meet a quota or is the system really this screwed up?

kevinpate
04-22-2011, 09:46 PM
Many places, if you take in proof of insurance within 24 hours or so, dismiss on a minor admin fee only.

As to why your car card isn't enough anymore, blame the folk who used to buy insurance and stop paying after one month but hang on to the card to show if stopped. The new system is supposed to help minimize the ease in which such uninsured drivers remain on the road.

It isn't perfect, but then nothing is.