View Full Version : OKC Taxi Cab Issues

mcca7596
04-17-2011, 07:09 AM
I hope this can stay in the Civic Issues section and not turn too political.

However, it seems like the police chief is more interested in providing ample parking spaces for those that have a car than providing easy taxi cab access to those who don't.

I don't see where any public nuisance comes into play that would cause the police chief to want to do this:

"OKC considers taxi cab crackdown" (http://www.kfor.com/news/local/kfor-news-taxi-cab-meter-crackdown-story,0,3381948.story)

Easy180
04-17-2011, 08:17 AM
Fine with them enforcing this but only if they create more taxi zones...Win/win resolution

Soonerus
04-17-2011, 08:31 AM
We need the taxi's to be available, bad move by OKC Police...

mcca7596
04-17-2011, 08:49 AM
Fine with them enforcing this but only if they create more taxi zones...Win/win resolution

I agree that the city should definitely pay for dedicated zones if they pass the ordinance.

kevinpate
04-17-2011, 09:18 AM
I agree that the city should definitely pay for dedicated zones if they pass the ordinance.

Why should the city pay for more zones? Create more, sure, but why not create them subject to the spaces being paid for by the taxi companies? Just asking.

mcca7596
04-17-2011, 09:26 AM
I meant pay to CREATE them if normal metered spaces are taken away. Yes, I do think that the taxi companies should still have to pay to use them just as any other metered space.

Platemaker
04-17-2011, 02:31 PM
Taxi stands should have been included in Project 180... maybe they were and I don't know?

onthestrip
04-17-2011, 03:54 PM
All I know is the availability of taxis is very small already. Trying to be smart while drinking is very difficult because taxis are so scarce and take forever to find one or for one to show up somewhere when you call. This seems like it would only put more drinkers and drivers on the road.

Thunder
04-17-2011, 05:25 PM
Another reason why OKC Police stinks.

rcjunkie
04-17-2011, 05:27 PM
Another reason why OKC Police stinks.

Pardon my French, but what in the hell does the OKC Police have to do with providing parking spots for Taxi Cabs ?

Thunder
04-17-2011, 05:31 PM
Pardon my French, but what in the hell does the OKC Police have to do with providing parking spots for Taxi Cabs ?

Why am I targeted when others are also talking about the OKC Police cracking down on Taxi Cab drivers? :-/

barnold
04-17-2011, 07:53 PM
After just having returned from Indianapolis, Baltimore, Minneapolis and Boston I had to take taxi's quite a bit. Other than the airport I never saw a dedicated parking area in front of convention centers, hotels, downtown etc. All I ever had to do was ask the local establishment I was in to call a cab and one appeared a few minutes later. Where would a dedicated parking area for cabs be a huge help from the way things operate today in Okc. Also, why would I want a "for profit" company to have free parking when I have to pay for it everytime I go downtown. I guess I was under the impression that they were like EMSA and trolled around the city or parked at 7-elevens until they called for a fare.

OKCNDN
04-19-2011, 09:02 AM
I don't get it. If the "cab drivers are often filing up meters" then what's the problem? the cab's are paying for their spot and the city is getting their money. What gives?

OKCMallen
04-19-2011, 10:50 AM
Enforce the law. Make more loading zone. Everyone wins. If you ever go downtown and want a parking spot, you'll appreciate cabs not getting in the way.

Larry OKC
04-19-2011, 09:44 PM
I don't get it. If the "cab drivers are often filing up meters" then what's the problem? the cab's are paying for their spot and the city is getting their money. What gives?

That is the problem, the taxis are filling up the parking space but aren't putting money in the meters. According to the Police Chief, it is hard to enforce because taxi drivers are watching for enforcement personnel and if they see someone approaching them, then and only then, do they plug the meter. They pull into a metered spot and sit and wait until another closer spot opens up or they get a fare.

I do find it odd that all of these taxi cabs are taking up parking spots when according to statements made by Council at 2 different Council meetings, OKC only has 1 taxi company (a quick check of the phone book showed 14 taxi companies in the immediate OKC area). This was back when they were putting a Norman based cab company on probation for refusing to pick up a fare in the City.

Thunder
04-19-2011, 09:48 PM
Just curious, is the Thunder Cab company new or name change?

Larry OKC
04-20-2011, 12:35 AM
Think it is new. Recall some debate/opposition to their color scheme at Council by other a while back.