View Full Version : Atlas Shrugged Movie - Part 1

cameron_405
04-15-2011, 11:24 PM
With the theatrical release of Atlas Shrugged Part 1 just four days away [15 April 2011], bookings have increased to 297. Current listings, sorted by regional/major city market. (http://www.atlassociety.org/theaters-showing-atlas-shrugged-movie)

"...Moore , OK -- Moore Warren Theatres; Oklahoma City, OK -- AMC Quail Springs Mall 24, Harkins Bricktown Cinema 16..."

cameron_405
04-15-2011, 11:27 PM
6W07bFa4TzM

Ginkasa
04-16-2011, 11:22 AM
Its only been released in 300 theatres nationwide. Its interesting that we have it in three theatres locally. Usually such limited releases only go to Quail.

Pete
04-16-2011, 12:06 PM
5% on Rotten Tomatoes, which is about the lowest ever. Getting absolutely panned by critics and viewers alike.

They say the book is unfilmable and it looks like this movie helps to make that case.

Midtowner
04-16-2011, 12:44 PM
5% on Rotten Tomatoes, which is about the lowest ever. Getting absolutely panned by critics and viewers alike.

They say the book is unfilmable and it looks like this movie helps to make that case.

As long as they leave out Galt's monologue at the end, I think it'd be a fine story. I don't really trust the critics in this situation.

dismayed
04-16-2011, 06:15 PM
I don't know, some of the acting in that clip alone looked pretty horrific.

Kerry
04-16-2011, 08:59 PM
I haven't read the book but will be going to see the movie this week.

Midtowner
04-16-2011, 09:11 PM
I haven't read the book but will be going to see the movie this week.

You really should read the book.

ljbab728
04-16-2011, 10:03 PM

I haven't read the book but I didn't see anything it that trailer which would make me want to see the movie.

HewenttoJared
04-17-2011, 08:20 AM
You really should read the book.

No, for his own sake he shouldn't.

HewenttoJared
04-17-2011, 08:21 AM
io9's review, probably more entertaining than the movie itself.

http://m.io9.com/5792663/atlas-shrugged-a-movie-this-demented-ought-to-be-against-the-law

bornhere
04-25-2011, 08:46 PM
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."

I wish I knew who originally wrote this.

Midtowner
04-25-2011, 08:56 PM
No, for his own sake he shouldn't.

It's really one of my favorite books of all time, except for the whole monologue part.

bornhere
04-25-2011, 08:56 PM
By the way, the correct way to film this movie is probably as a retro fifties diesel punk piece. Rearden needs to be played by some ridiculously square-jawed Nordic blond – maybe the guy who's playing Thor – and Taggart should be played by – well, another ridiculously square-jawed Nordic blonde. Maybe the guy who's playing Thor.

Lots of huge locomotives that are just *****es with wheels.

And Andy Serkis, Steve Buscemi and The Comic Book Guy from The Simpsons as the various bad guys. Yes, I know The Comic Book Guy is cartoon character. I don't think it will matter.

cameron_405
04-25-2011, 09:20 PM
By the way, the correct way to film this movie is probably as a retro fifties diesel punk piece. Rearden needs to be played by some ridiculously square-jawed Nordic blond – maybe the guy who's playing Thor – and Taggart should be played by – well, another ridiculously square-jawed Nordic blonde. Maybe the guy who's playing Thor.

Lots of huge locomotives that are just *****es with wheels.

And Andy Serkis, Steve Buscemi and The Comic Book Guy from The Simpsons as the various bad guys. Yes, I know The Comic Book Guy is cartoon character. I don't think it will matter.

jfr7vzSx1lU
Atlas Shrugged's Makers Speak! Q&A w producers & actor

"...Atlas Shrugged Part I has been predictably panned by reviewers and wildly embraced by audiences.

At the movie-review site Rotten Tomatoes, just 8 percent of critics give a thumbs up, compared to 85 percent of moviegoers. Such a sharply split reaction mirrors the reception of Ayn Rand's original and controversial novel too. Appearing in 300 theaters, the movie's weekend take on a per-screen basis was a strong $5,640, good enough for third overall behind major-studio releases Rio and Scream 4.

How do the folks behind Atlas Shrugged Part I feel about it all?

On April 16, at Reason Foundation's annual Reason Weekend, Nick Gillespie interviewed producers John Aglialoro, Harmon Kaslow, and Mike Marvin, and actor Matthew Marsden (he plays James Taggart) live in front of about 100 people. They talked freely about the challenges of making the film on a tight budget and an even tighter deadline; how Rand's politics play in Hollywood (spoiler alert: poorly!); where the inspiration for the film came from; how the train and other memorable scenes were shot; and whether there's any truth to the rumors that Atlas Shrugged Part III will be a musical...

And then they answer audience questions, including when to expect Parts II & III..."

...haven't been to Moore's Warren (http://www.cmpedge.com/Blog/?p=90) -- reckon I'll check it out this week.

HewenttoJared
04-26-2011, 05:46 AM
It's really one of my favorite books of all time, except for the whole monologue part.

Then you exceed a lot of other people in your ability to separate fact and fiction. I've watched this book literally tear apart a whole wing of my family.

Ginkasa
04-27-2011, 12:27 AM
Then you exceed a lot of other people in your ability to separate fact and fiction. I've watched this book literally tear apart a whole wing of my family.

I'm so sorry for your loss. That must have been a real mess to clean up.

PennyQuilts
04-27-2011, 08:17 AM

Literally? My goodness. It should be banned if it is that dangerous!

bornhere
04-27-2011, 03:49 PM
Atlas Shrugged producer goes Galt, refuses to produce more crap:

Los Angeles Times (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/movies/2011/04/atlas-shrugged-producer-critics-you-won-hes-going-on-strike.html)

MadMonk
04-27-2011, 06:38 PM
Literally? My goodness. It should be banned if it is that dangerous!
Death by 10,000 paper cuts? Yikes!

Jersey Boss
04-27-2011, 07:14 PM
Over/under is 3 weeks tops on the film being in the theatre. Looks like another "Battleship Earth".